Why is being prosperous and healthy considered wrong?

Do you think God wants us to be prosperous in every area of our lives???

• Of course...it's His desire!

• Naw, I think we ought to all be broke so we'll be humble!

Results are only viewable after voting.

A Brother In Christ

Senior Veteran
Mar 30, 2005
Royal city, washington
✟5,985.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
die2live said:
I agree. In this country, the only "needs" are spiritual. That is not to say that it is wrong to go to a soup kitchen and feed the homeless for a night. That is certainly Christlike. But if the whole world was like our country. There would be no need for Jesus' command in Luke 12:33. I don't think Jesus would have given it if that were the case because he would not be concerned with our world's physical needs. Rather, he would have addressed their needs of spiritual things.
Unfortunately, the whole world is not like our country.

luke was written to the Jews....not are mail

I like Matt 23:13-36 .. how to inmiate Jesus...

Not really but Jesus Christ was under Law as we are not

Upvote 0

McWilliams

Senior Veteran
Nov 6, 2005
Texas
✟15,077.00
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Politics
US-Republican
If we "seek ye first the kingdom of heaven and all these things will be added unto you", that doesnt mean an accumulation of stuff but our needs which actually first would refer to basic needs, for life and godliness! There were many people of wealth in scripture that God blessed but the bottom line was they honored God with their substance! Their first priority was not to accumulate the wealth or recognition of this world but was on God and His will for them!

Those who preach a health and wealth gospel would have a hard sell in Sudan or other countries having a hard time just surviving the battle of life! The health/wealth gospel mostly feathers the nest of the one preaching it!

If in all our ways we acknowledge Him, then He will direct our paths! Prov 3:6

When we have an intense desire to accumulate the material things of this world then obviously our main focus and desire is not pleasing our Lord! Its not the wealth that is the problem but the desire and the focus!
Often having immense wealth for a christian is a trial as staying close to the Lord then has many temptations involved!

Not a worry or concern of mine but I do thank HIm for always providing for me in every way! I rejoice in HIs greatness!

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

JimfromOhio

Life of Trials :)
Feb 7, 2004
Central Ohio
✟60,248.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
Our hearts (core) are seated deep within our minds where they pollutes our emotions (desires), the intellect (imaginations) and the will (purposes). A Christian should not ask, "If I follow Christ, what will it cost me?". Rather, a Christian should say, "I will follow Christ and let any costs come to me because God will help me walk in it." God will not lead us unless He is able to use us for His own glory. God cannot lead stubborn and selfish Christians who are trying to use God for their own spiritual & personal agendas. Too many people are thinking that we can have God's glory at little or no cost. Prosperity and motivational preaching has become major theologies in the Christian world. The heart is where God meets us because that is where we make our decisions. Our hearts are where our desires and motives are located. It is important to understand that our hearts are the state of our "flesh". Our flesh search for pleasure, pride, passions and selfish motives. Our hearts are like a garden with beautiful flowers and plants. As with all gardens, the hearts must be kept free from weeds and insects. In Proverbs 4:23, "Above all else, guard your heart, for it affects everything you do." (NLT). Jesus said in Matthew 6:21, "Wherever your treasure is, there your heart and thoughts will also be." (NLT). Throughout the Bible, God have warned people to be careful of idolatry because we could slip into it almost without noticing it. Idolatry is an excessive devotion or reverence to an object or objects (i.e. prosperity, self-motivation, healing and etc). Idolatry is being used as an instrument of worship which is a false notion that causes spiritual errors in thinking or reasoning.

I want to be like David, "David son of Jesse is a man after my own heart, for he will do everything I want him to do." Acts 13:22 & 1 Samuel 13:14 (NLT). David was a sinner like me. I can relate to David. I understood what God is trying to say though David that God judges the heart, not the actions. Even though David's actions were very sinful however God knows David's heart that his heart has repented and desired God first. In Proverbs 21:2, "People may think they are doing (action) what is right, but the Lord examines the heart." (NLT)

Upvote 0

DiscoFrank

Christian Forums Resident Beach Bum
Nov 20, 2005
Bangor, Northern Ireland
✟18,231.00
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
In Relationship
The issue of can a person of God be wealthy has dogged us for centuries. Amos riled against the rich of Israel, not because they were rich, but because they kept their riches for themselves. They had summer houses and winter houses and couches inlaid with ivory. And the poor had nothing. They were opressed and crushed. The rich "trample on the head of thr poor into the dust of the earth". They were abusing the laws which Yahweh had instilled in them hundreds of years previously, which gave bias to the poor, which were bottom up and made everyone equal. This is a warning we all need to be aware of. It is good for us to be healthy and prosperous, but it is not God's will that we become like the "cows of Bashan".

(sorry about the Amos rant, I'm in the middle of writing an assignment on it!!)

Upvote 0

BrotherSteve

Mar 22, 2005
New Mexico
✟294.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Certainly it is not God's will for every Christian to be prosperous in every area of his or her life. It is also not God's will for every Christian to be broke. There are many biblical examples of both rich and poor Christians. Just think - David was very wealthy and called a 'man after God's own heart' and Jesus didn't even own a house.

God has a specific plan for our lives. For some it is to be wealthy so they can share that blessing with others. For others it is to be poor so they can be rich in faith.

Upvote 0

GrinningDwarf

Just a humble servant
Mar 30, 2005
✟19,311.00
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
Rockrz said:
I'm hearing alot of bad press about preachers that bring out scriptures that show it is God's will for us to have good things. You know, prosper in every area of life, and living a physically healthy live as examples.

There's plenty of scriptures to back this up, and we know God is good. He desires good things for His children just like any good Father would.

Is it that some Christians just can't bring themselves to believe that they are worth anything to God? I mean, He gave Jesus to purchase us from sin! Considering that, why is it so hard to believe that God will with Jesus freely give us all things (Romans 8:32)?

Heck, if being prosperous and healthy is considered wrong, then Heaven must be full of sinners because they are all healthy and prosperous in every area of their existance. Jesus declared that God's will be done on earth as it is in Heaven (Matthew 6:10)

So why all the controversy?

The controversy is in the very way you phrase your poll answers. It's not either health and wealth or sickness and poverty. Paul said that he had learned to be content wherever the Lord had him (Philipians 4:11-12). The controversy comes in when 'name it, claim it' theology moves on to the next verse (13) and focus' on it exclusively..."I can do everything through him who gives me strength." I doesn't say "I can have all things"; it says "I can do all things", including getting through the situations Paul had just written about.

Upvote 0

TraciFisher

Nov 24, 2005
Ohio
✟7,668.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
there're a lot of good points on here, specifically about stewardship.

God doesn't want kids to grow hungry and Christians to be sitting at home, sick and unhappy, with a desire to spread the Word... or with a great book which may clarify His Word... he wants to give us the idea and the backing to spread the Gospel and do good works, but not all Christians are good stewards of what they have.

I believe that many Christians are living in false humility... like, "ohhh... I just struggle... living a humble life for God... " "woe is me, the good Christian!"

(that might be a little harsh), but God wants us to be powerful, able, and proactive... spreading the word and being healthy, vibrant, believers and witnesses... IMHO

Who can be healthy, vibrant, and actually afford to spread the Word- when they don't have any money in the bank?

I believe we're on the verge of a time where Christians are becoming better stewards of our small amount of wealth- and that we need to shake off the false humility and start expecting blessings, poured out in abundance- the tithes are a good example-- it's a principle given to us- to sow seeds and reap the blessings... some seed will lead to blessings in the form of more wealth- some in revelation- etc etc etc. It depends on what you need.

Our witness is being strengthened- by God blessing us and moving us into new territories- with more power- and more flare. I see a great emergence of Christians who, by being good stewards and with their hearts in the right place (doing everything as though unto God and for the benefit of God), will be able to glorify Him by being happy.

You have to be happy broke sometimes first (haha)... and seeking God, learning, finding your ministry, developing it, and then expect that God wills your ministry to flourish.

Who better to be happy, healthy, and prosperous in all areas than Christians? I expect it... b/c I love God and give glory to Him always... and I want to spread the Word... and feed helpless people... etc etc

Reactions: shezshy
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

A Brother In Christ

Senior Veteran
Mar 30, 2005
Royal city, washington
✟5,985.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
TraciFisher said:
I believe we're on the verge of a time where Christians are becoming better stewards of our small amount of wealth- and that we need to shake off the false humility and start expecting blessings, poured out in abundance- the tithes are a good example--

tithes are OT... 2 cor 9:7 ....let him give not grudgingly, or out of nessicity

I know to many christain that declare bankrutcy

Upvote 0

Bethshaya

Argh!
Feb 21, 2005
Connecticut, USA
✟8,380.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Engaged
shezshy said:
voted yes but here's the thing: God probably wishes us much wealth to DO GOOD with.He may also wish for us great power.Power used to fight evil,do good deeds.I don't think this happens as much as He wishes though.

I agree, I think that is the distinction. Wealth for personal gain and amusement without the use of it for His Kingdom isn't what he had in mind.

He wishes life abundant for us, but that doesnt necessarily mean wealth. It does, in every way mean health though.

I don't think Jesus was poor, I do think the gift that were given by the three kings served a purpose for the King..to give the Lord and his family a base in which to operate without Jesus needing to work for those three years. With no husband, Joseph was already dead, there was no one to run the shop for three years while Jesus entered his ministry. The gold that was given suported the family. The Myr was what was used to cure Jesus body upon his death as it was very expensive to buy. They already had it given to them at His birth. God does provide.

To see ministers on TV with Mercedes Benz', mansions and expensive things isnt right because it makes one wonder about their ministry and not focus on the message. It is a distraction for both the listener and the minister. Greed can set in. Whatever is given can be used to further his kingdom. It isnt always money (and usually isnt money) that is needed. It is a happy and willing heart.

This past year, I lost my job. I had a month before I was let go to work. People at my old job couldnt understand how I could take it so well. The truth was, I was already feeling the need to leave, but I had spent my entire career in that company, and didnt know where to go. The people I was working around were always arguing with each other, you could just feel the anger in the air. I wasnt happy there...I could feel tension and perhaps evil, coming against my walk. I prayed for God to make it better...and he answered with the answer I wasnt looking for, but accepted...I'm getting you out of there and where I need you more.

I was out of work for a year. My friends kept asking me if I had found anything and why I wasnt paniced. I responded I didnt feel the need to leap yet. When He wants me to move on something, I will know.

During my time at home, I was able to be there full time as mom to get my son through some difficult times, which I wouldnt have been able to do if I were working full time.

One afternoon, I was lead to go to a website, which I would never have gone to otherwise. And there it was on the home page. An ad for the position I now have. I sent in my resume, went in for the interview and was not even the slightest bit nervous. I knew I was supposed to be there. He would work it out. A few days later, I receieved the call...I got the job.

My new position is for more money, less hours, 45 min less of a commute than my previous job AND I get to be working as a consultant for my old company working with the group of people I used to work with that I loved..they were a small group of Christians who met in my old job weekly for prayer. I can now work closer with them than I did in my old job.

How Great is God!

Upvote 0

A Brother In Christ

Senior Veteran
Mar 30, 2005
Royal city, washington
✟5,985.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Bethshaya said:
I agree, I think that is the distinction. Wealth for personal gain and amusement without the use of it for His Kingdom isn't what he had in mind.

He wishes life abundant for us, but that doesnt necessarily mean wealth. It does, in every way mean health though.
what about Job he lost his health...?
/

I don't think Jesus was poor, I do think the gift that were given by the three kings served a purpose for the King..to give the Lord and his family a base in which to operate without Jesus needing to work for those three years. With no husband, Joseph was already dead, there was no one to run the shop for three years while Jesus entered his ministry. The gold that was given suported the family. The Myr was what was used to cure Jesus body upon his death as it was very expensive to buy. They already had it given to them at His birth. God does provide.
wood carpentar... In john 1:46 canany good thing come out of nazareth... why is this ...this is the roughest place to grow up at..like in the hood..
To see ministers on TV with Mercedes Benz', mansions and expensive things isnt right because it makes one wonder about their ministry and not focus on the message. It is a distraction for both the listener and the minister. Greed can set in. Whatever is given can be used to further his kingdom. It isnt always money (and usually isnt money) that is needed. It is a happy and willing heart.

This past year, I lost my job. I had a month before I was let go to work. People at my old job couldnt understand how I could take it so well. The truth was, I was already feeling the need to leave, but I had spent my entire career in that company, and didnt know where to go. The people I was working around were always arguing with each other, you could just feel the anger in the air. I wasnt happy there...I could feel tension and perhaps evil, coming against my walk. I prayed for God to make it better...and he answered with the answer I wasnt looking for, but accepted...I'm getting you out of there and where I need you more.

I was out of work for a year. My friends kept asking me if I had found anything and why I wasnt paniced. I responded I didnt feel the need to leap yet. When He wants me to move on something, I will know.

During my time at home, I was able to be there full time as mom to get my son through some difficult times, which I wouldnt have been able to do if I were working full time.
God is Good

One afternoon, I was lead to go to a website, which I would never have gone to otherwise. And there it was on the home page. An ad for the position I now have. I sent in my resume, went in for the interview and was not even the slightest bit nervous. I knew I was supposed to be there. He would work it out. A few days later, I receieved the call...I got the job.

My new position is for more money, less hours, 45 min less of a commute than my previous job AND I get to be working as a consultant for my old company working with the group of people I used to work with that I loved..they were a small group of Christians who met in my old job weekly for prayer. I can now work closer with them than I did in my old job.

How Great is God!
God is away good even if he takes all the Good things of this world away. He is not obligated to give me the good Job or nice house, inheritance from family....

this is a promise 2 tim 3:12 Yea, and all that [desire] will to live godly in Christ Jesus shall suffer persecution.

1 peter 3:14 But and since ye suffer for righteousness sake, happy are ye: and be not afraid of their terror, neither be troubled..

Upvote 0