Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I was about tenth in line when I turned up to vote at 6 am, and by the time the polls opened at 7 the line must have been 200 strong. Reports are that the turnout for this election is enormous.

I didn’t vote in 2016 because frankly, I couldn’t bring myself to vote for either Hillary or Donald Trump.

Anyone who has read this blog will know that I am far from being a Trump supporter. There are many reasons why I’m not a Trump fan. The superficial ones are that he is crass, vulgar and inarticulate. His personal history is a blend of showman, playboy, gangster and shyster and he has no background, qualifications or skillset for the office of president of the USA.

More than these problems, I’m wary of the MAGA crowd phenomenon. It’s not part of my nature to jump on anybody’s bandwagon, and there’s enough of the Amish in me to be suspicious of every politician, billionaire and fat cat. The MAGA crowds give me the creeps–not because I’m unpatriotic, but because I fear uncritical patriotism and uncritical adulation of anyone–pop star, pope, politician, president or prime minister. I’m not a joiner and I worry about mass movements of the majority–knowing that down through history this is the kind of thing that produces demagogues.

Therefore, if I had been able to, I would have voted for the American Solidarity Party. A third party vote in South Carolina would have been acceptable because this state will almost certainly go to Donald Trump in the electoral college system. However, the American Solidarity Party did not make it onto the ticket in South Carolina and we were not permitted write in votes for President and VP in this state.

Thus frustrated, I voted for Mr Trump today because, despite my concerns, the other side is worse. Much worse. Joe Biden’s public hypocrisy as a Catholic is a stench in my nostrils. Kamala Harris’ and the Democratic party’s aggressive support for abortion up to the point of birth is an obnoxious crime that cries to heaven for vengeance. Yes, yes, I know Trump and the Republican party have not banned abortion, but at least they don’t have support of abortion as one of the key planks on their platform.

Biden and Harris are also worse because Biden is exactly the kind of career politician the Democrats say they are opposed to. He and his family have had their noses in the trough for over forty years, and their Democratic party allies are residents of “the swamp” if anybody is. Their supposed care for the poor and the needy is another example of their hypocrisy and smug establishment elitism.

Continued below.
Why I Voted for Mr Trump This Morning

Akita Suggagaki

Jul 20, 2018
Midwest
✟283,519.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I appreciate the attempt for balance. I voted Solidarity even though I had to write them in.

In my view though, I can no longer endure Trump's blatant lies. Nothing he says can be believed and he stokes tensions and...well enough. Biden, I think can bring some healing but also be a great embarrassment. And he certainly lost any right to claim being Catholic.

What bothers me most is both sides are inconsistent. Dems seem to me to make an effort to care for the poor and vulnerable. Except, of course, for life in the womb. GOP seems to have the moral high ground except they also tend to be "everyone for themselves". They have very little sense of the Common Good and solidarity for the poor. And selling out to Trump's power has been so disappointing to see. It is as if he is the playground bully they are all afraid of. I know almost nothing about Brian Carroll and Amar Patel of the American Solidarity Party (ASP)and I know they have no chance of winning. But at least I can support their platform with a clear conscience. I cannot say that for either of the other two parties or candidates. Maybe someday a higher profile candidate will embrace the ASP platform and have a chance.

Upvote 0

Chrystal-J

The one who stands firm to the end will be saved.
Site Supporter
Oct 19, 2004
Detroit
✟806,518.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Widowed
Politics
US-Others
I had issues with Biden in regards to being pro-abortion. He also said he had no problem with an 8 year old seeking a sex change and said nothing about the violence that has broken out lately.
I'm a life long democrat, but I couldn't over-come those things this year.

Upvote 0

Michie

Site Supporter
Feb 5, 2002
Woods
✟4,674,981.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I had issues with Biden in regards to being pro-abortion. He also said he had no problem with an 8 year old seeking a sex change and said nothing about the violence that has broken out lately.
I'm a life long democrat, but I couldn't over-come those thing this year.
They do not make it easy.

Upvote 0