Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
I am not making false accusations against anyone. On the contrary, I have tried to be respectful of you seeing as how you are my elder. But it's hard for me to ignore the very dishonest and manipulative manner of debating that I see on display here.

It's not good to put a denial and the evidence against the denial in the same post. It's not just disrespectful, it's bad tactics. I never say anything here that I don't believe to be true. And I think you're aware of that.

You have repeatedly appealed to outside sources without providing citation.

If you could cite one, I'd be happy to show you what I have to support it. What do you have?

And you dress up your own arguments beyond their actual strength.

Scripture is pretty solid on its own, I think.

Upvote 0

The Barbarian

Crabby Old White Guy
Apr 3, 2003
✟368,095.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
Now we are getting somewhere. This is the kind of answer I am looking for...even though it's not referenced, I have read the profile of Charles Darwin and as such I am familiar with that view.

I forget that many people who talk about Darwin's views, don't really know what they were. Good to see someone does.

• Agree
Reactions: Job 33:6
Upvote 0

Sam Saved by Grace

All of salvation is God's doing
Aug 10, 2021
Fort Worth, Texas
✟7,637.00
Country
United States
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Single
On the contrary, it would be much better to see someone with a knowledge of God's Word. Knowing the beliefs of some long dead unbeliever will profit a man nothing. But those who know and obey the Truth will abide forever.

But as to which knowledge is most pleasing to encounter, it really does come down to the condition of one's heart.

Upvote 0

The Barbarian

Crabby Old White Guy
Apr 3, 2003
✟368,095.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
But as to which knowledge is most pleasing to encounter, it really does come down to the condition of one's heart.

Which brings us to your accusation.

"You have repeatedly appealed to outside sources without providing citation."

I asked you to point those out, and offered to provide citiations where you documented that I avoided doing so.

Did you forget?

God has a particular position on this:
John 8:32 And you shall know the truth, and the truth shall make you free.

A Christian should never be afraid of the truth.

Upvote 0

SkyWriting

The Librarian
Site Supporter
Jan 10, 2010
Milwaukee
✟410,948.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
The two main reasons why I don't believe in evolution, other than the lack of evidence, are that the Bible says we were created from the dust of the ground, not from an ape-like ancestor, and because there's no way to draw the line of when humans became fully evolved, morally conscious, and spiritual beings.

The line is when Adam was re-made into the spiritual image of God.

• Agree
Reactions: Job 33:6
Upvote 0

Sam Saved by Grace

Aug 10, 2021
Fort Worth, Texas
✟7,637.00
Country
United States
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Single

I asked you to point those out, and offered to provide citiations where you documented that I avoided doing so.

Did you forget?
I am not going to go back through the thread and look for every little instance. Maybe you are petty enough for that sort of thing, but I don't have the time for it. But several times you have appealed to authority without providing citation. Such as "plumbers will tell you" or "geologists will tell you" or "all scientists know" - vague appeals to authority. Or you will commonly mix truth with opinion and then appeal to authority. The thread is rife with examples. Go search them out yourself.

Upvote 0

The Barbarian

Crabby Old White Guy
Apr 3, 2003
✟368,095.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian

Did you forget?

I am not going to go back through the thread and look for every little instance.

Pick the one you think is most significant, and we'll deal with that, first. What do you have?

Maybe you are petty enough for that sort of thing, but I don't have the time for it.

You made the accusation. I offered to deal with it for you. And now, you don't want to. I'm puzzled.

But several times you have appealed to authority without providing citation. Such as "plumbers will tell you" or "geologists will tell you" or "all scientists know" - vague appeals to authority.

Show me the specific case, and I'll see if I can document it for you. What do you have?

Go search them out yourself.

I was just checking to see if there actually were some cases. If you can think of one, let us know, and I'll see what I can do to fix it for you.

But I don't see any.

Upvote 0

Sam Saved by Grace

Aug 10, 2021
Fort Worth, Texas
✟7,637.00
Country
United States
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Single
Honest YE creationists openly admit that there is much evidence for evolution and an ancient Earth. Post 320

Hmmm... most plumbers (and scientists) would point out that your assumption is wrong. post 358

Those are just two examples I remember off the top of my head. I am sure there are plenty more if one were to start at page one. I am not going to it...I spent more time than I wanted. You are not going to derail my point. You are dishonest, demeaning, and are in no way open to reason. You are dead set in your ways. It's obvious by your behavior. You are here to push your views.

Upvote 0

Job 33:6

Jun 15, 2017
Hartford, Connecticut
✟296,278.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Honest YE creationists openly admit that there is much evidence for evolution and an ancient Earth. Post 320

Hmmm... most plumbers (and scientists) would point out that your assumption is wrong. post 358

Those are just two examples I remember off the top of my head. I am sure there are plenty more if one were to start at page one. I am not going to it...I spent more time than I wanted. You are not going to derail my point. You are dishonest, demeaning, and are in no way open to reason. You are dead set in your ways. It's obvious by your behavior. You are here to push your views.

I'm a scientist. I don't find anything circular about geology. Once you understand it, in my opinion, it's quite clear that it is one directional in that creation, God's creation, as per physical reality, could only logically be old (greater than many millions of years). What is logically circular about geological superposition, for example? Nothing that I can think of. Then when we add on features of the earth, such as trace fossils (trackways, burrows, nests) or structural features of deformation (faults, folds, shear zones, fractures), we end up with a pretty clear result of an ancient earth. We don't begin with the position but rather it's inevitably derived from what we see. And there's not really anything anyone can do to logically argue otherwise.

If anything, it's the exact opposite of circular reasoning because it's fundamentally grounded and simple philosophical truths, such as older objects being in deeper rocks than shallower and younger objects.

What would be circular in this reasoning? Is it circular because we assume that gravity existed in the past? But who would be so foolish as to deny the gravity existed in the past if we have things like prehistoric footprints?

I think that this would be one of the backbones of the theory of evolution as well, given that the fossil succession depends on superposition as well. So really, major aspects of the theory of evolution aren't circular at all, but really are grounded in concepts as fundamentally real and true as gravity.

Last edited:
  • Useful
Reactions: Tom 1
Upvote 0

The Barbarian

Crabby Old White Guy
Apr 3, 2003
✟368,095.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
OK. Let's see what we have...

And I've repeatedly cited creationists, who quite openly admit that there is a great deal of evidence for evolution. Do you want me to show you again?
Here's one in this thread:
Why I don't believe in evolution...

And another:
Why I don't believe in evolution...

Sam Saved by Grace said:
Again I say, methodological naturalism leads to circular reasoning.

Hmmm... most plumbers (and scientists) would point out that your assumption is wrong.

Remember, I showed you that plumbers use methodological naturalism to troubleshoot plumbing problems. They don't deny the supernatural, but proceed by assuming naturalistic causes for those problems. No circularity involved. Science works that way too. I do notice that you did exactly what you accused me of doing; you made the assertion but provided no evidence whatever for it.

Those are just two examples I remember off the top of my head.

You seem to have missed the cites I gave for them, including the way methodological naturalism works. As you see, it excludes circularity.

You are not going to derail my point.

I'm just showing that you're wrong about it.

You are dishonest,

I never assert anything here that I don't believe to be true. And I think you're aware of that.

demeaning

I'm blunt and that's a fault. But you can't demean others in an argument; you can only demean yourself. If I've been blunt to the point that I've done so, my apologies.

You are dead set in your ways.

I know of nothing that would reverse my faith in God. And I don't think I'd ever be open to anything but evidence in scientific issues. It's always funny how those of us who are so set, never realize that we are, um?

I suppose we are all here to push our views. Some of us are just more open about it than others.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Sam Saved by Grace

Aug 10, 2021
Fort Worth, Texas
✟7,637.00
Country
United States
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Single
So now we are talking about methodological naturalism and circular reasoning again?

It's not hard to understand. When the methodology of observing a thing precludes any consideration of another thing, how is it that the former can be used as evidence of the latter's absence? Regardless of whether or not you all are personally guilty of this, the fact remains that the assertion of modern atheists such as Richard Dawkins and PZ Myers is that because there is no evidence for the supernatural, the supernatural cannot be said to exist.

Science is god to these people. It is a man-made idol for so many. Even some so-called Christians put God and His Word beneath science. The way they interpret scripture is at the mercy of scientific "fact": if the Bible says x happened, yet archeologists/anthropologists/geologists say x did not happen, then obviously, we must simply reinterpret scripture in such a way that accords with "the facts". Because, you know, science must be true.

Rather, I think if the Bible says x happened and scientists say x did not happen, the evidence must be reinterpreted in such a way as to accord with the fact of God's Word.

Upvote 0

The Barbarian

Crabby Old White Guy
Apr 3, 2003
✟368,095.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
It's not hard to understand. When the methodology of observing a thing precludes any consideration of another thing, how is it that the former can be used as evidence of the latter's absence?

It can't. That's why methodological naturalism doesn't deny the supernatural. Neither does plumbing, even if the plumber, when he investigates your plumbing, doesn't consider the possibility of demons of blockage.

Regardless of whether or not you all are personally guilty of this, the fact remains that the assertion of modern atheists such as Richard Dawkins and PZ Myers is that because there is no evidence for the supernatural, the supernatural cannot be said to exist.

You're wrong about that, too:

Richard Dawkins: I can't be sure God does not exist
He is regarded as the most famous atheist in the world but last night Professor Richard Dawkins admitted he could not be sure that God does not exist.

He's quite aware that the methodological naturalism used by scientists cannot rule out God.

Science is god to these people.

No more than plumbing is god to a plumber.

And as Dawkins admits, the supernatural might indeed exist; it's just that science and plumbing can't deal with it.

But scientists and plumbers can.

Upvote 0

Jun 15, 2017
Hartford, Connecticut
✟296,278.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
So now we are talking about methodological naturalism and circular reasoning again?

It's not hard to understand. When the methodology of observing a thing precludes any consideration of another thing, how is it that the former can be used as evidence of the latter's absence? Regardless of whether or not you all are personally guilty of this, the fact remains that the assertion of modern atheists such as Richard Dawkins and PZ Myers is that because there is no evidence for the supernatural, the supernatural cannot be said to exist.

Science is god to these people. It is a man-made idol for so many. Even some so-called Christians put God and His Word beneath science. The way they interpret scripture is at the mercy of scientific "fact": if the Bible says x happened, yet archeologists/anthropologists/geologists say x did not happen, then obviously, we must simply reinterpret scripture in such a way that accords with "the facts". Because, you know, science must be true.

Rather, I think if the Bible says x happened and scientists say x did not happen, the evidence must be reinterpreted in such a way as to accord with the fact of God's Word.

What's tricky about this position is that even the interpretation of scripture, is contested amongst honest Christians like ourselves. And in my opinion, rightfully so. Even right now in another topic here we have a YEC acknowledging that he reads Genesis figuratively with respect to windows of the firmament (see my example below). In my opinion, the true scriptural literalists are in the more progressive theistic evolution crowd, such as those of the biologos foundation (which has a nice podcast btw called the language of God). Which is strange because you would normally think that conservatives would be more in line with scriptural historicity, but oddly enough they appear to have lost their way sometime in the past 2,000 years.

And for Christian scientists and science educators, honestly, I could care less if some atheists think that science precludes God or the supernatural. I don't believe it does. Why should it even matter that some rogue atheists believe in atheistic things? If anything, it would be wise for Christians to double down and claim the scientific advances in the name of God, lest we end up in the dark ages again.

When it comes to understanding existence and creation, the cards are scientifically stacked on the side of geologists and biologists. When it comes to historical studies made through archaeology, again, the cards are heavily stacked in favor in old earth geology's favor. Historical accounts of ancient Hebrew beliefs, and beliefs of cultures around the world of that period of time, again, heavily stacked in favor of a literal interpretation of Genesis in which the earth was flat (and therefore the associated flood was limited in space and time to a region). We have a collection of Old Testament scholars acknowledging the literal historical position in which earth was flat and quite easily identifying scripture which supports this position, again, adding to the weight that YECs are simply wrong.

There's nothing circular about this because these are all independent fields of study coming to an agreed upon answer. Theologians, scientists and historians all coming to an agreed upon conclusion.

The YEC position of course is heavily at odds with geology and biology. And most of us are well familiar with this so I won't bother going into detail on this post.

Further we know that the YEC position is heavily at odds with archeology and records produced by historians as well.
Example:
"At Damaidi in Ningxia, 3,172 cliff carvings dating to 6000–5000 BC have been discovered, "featuring 8,453 individual characters such as the sun, moon, stars, gods and scenes of hunting or grazing".These pictographs are reputed to be similar to the earliest characters confirmed to be written Chinese.[17] Chinese proto-writing existed in Jiahu around 7000 BC,[18] Dadiwan from 5800 BC to 5400 BC, Damaidi around 6000 BC[19] and Banpo dating from the 5th millennium BC. Some scholars have suggested that Jiahu symbols (7th millennium BC) were the earliest Chinese writing system.[18] Excavation of a Peiligang culture site in Xinzheng county, Henan, found a community that flourished in 5,500 to 4,900 BC, with evidence of agriculture, constructed buildings, pottery, and burial of the dead.
[20] "

There are modern historical artifacts from various countries that date back greater than 6,000 years and going up to 10,000 years. And when we transition into archeology we have artifacts going back hundreds of thousands of years.

And again, theologically we have a problems with YECism as well, we have YECs figuratively interpreting the original meaning of the OT.

Example:
The Waters Above the Firmament
Here we have a YEC that thinks that the windows of the firmament may have been black holes or that the pillars holding up the earth may have referred to the arms of the Milky Way galaxy viewed in the sky at night. How absurd it is to think that the original authors of Genesis were actually referring to black holes when speaking of windows of the firmament. The YEC position is truly an abomination when we lift the veil off of it's alleged piety.

None of this is circular. The YEC position is simply unreasonable. Whereas the theistic evolution position quite easily makes sense of all of the above. The archaeological and historical records are accurate and the earth is millions of years old in accordance with theistic evolution. The scriptural interpretations suggesting that Genesis was written literally is accurate, Hebrew authors of the oldest books of the OT believed earth was flat (which is a rational position for anyone who doesn't have satellite technology and Google earth), again nothing at odds with theistic evolution, YECs have issue with literal interpretations of various verses in Genesis. And with the findings of superposition of the faunal succession, scientifically, theistic evolution of course thrives with respect to sciences.

Again, nothing circular, nor does theistic evolution preclude God (but rather it hinges on God as creator), contrary to what atheists might say.

Christians agree that modern atheism and ontological naturalism or materialism is an issue. But denying science and backing into the dark world of young earth creationism, is a terrible solution.

Last edited:
  • Agree
Reactions: The Barbarian
Upvote 0

Paradox.79

Jun 27, 2021
Indianapolis
✟10,384.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
The two main reasons why I don't believe in evolution, other than the lack of evidence, are that the Bible says we were created from the dust of the ground, not from an ape-like ancestor, and because there's no way to draw the line of when humans became fully evolved, morally conscious, and spiritual beings.

This doesn't mean, however, that I believe earth is less than 10,000 years old, which isn't taught anywhere in the Bible. Christian geologists discovered the earth's antiquity before Darwin was even born.
What is the evidence for evolution? - Common-questions

Upvote 0

Paradox.79

Jun 27, 2021
Indianapolis
✟10,384.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
What's tricky about this position is that even the interpretation of scripture, is contested amongst honest Christians like ourselves. And in my opinion, rightfully so. Even right now in another topic here we have a YEC acknowledging that he reads Genesis figuratively with respect to windows of the firmament (see my example below). In my opinion, the true scriptural literalists are in the more progressive theistic evolution crowd, such as those of the biologos foundation (which has a nice podcast btw called the language of God). Which is strange because you would normally think that conservatives would be more in line with scriptural historicity, but oddly enough they appear to have lost their way sometime in the past 2,000 years.

And for Christian scientists and science educators, honestly, I could care less if some atheists think that science precludes God or the supernatural. I don't believe it does. Why should it even matter that some rogue atheists believe in atheistic things? If anything, it would be wise for Christians to double down and claim the scientific advances in the name of God, lest we end up in the dark ages again.

When it comes to understanding existence and creation, the cards are scientifically stacked on the side of geologists and biologists. When it comes to historical studies made through archaeology, again, the cards are heavily stacked in favor in old earth geology's favor. Historical accounts of ancient Hebrew beliefs, and beliefs of cultures around the world of that period of time, again, heavily stacked in favor of a literal interpretation of Genesis in which the earth was flat (and therefore the associated flood was limited in space and time to a region). We have a collection of Old Testament scholars acknowledging the literal historical position in which earth was flat and quite easily identifying scripture which supports this position, again, adding to the weight that YECs are simply wrong.

There's nothing circular about this because these are all independent fields of study coming to an agreed upon answer. Theologians, scientists and historians all coming to an agreed upon conclusion.

The YEC position of course is heavily at odds with geology and biology. And most of us are well familiar with this so I won't bother going into detail on this post.

Further we know that the YEC position is heavily at odds with archeology and records produced by historians as well.
Example:
"At Damaidi in Ningxia, 3,172 cliff carvings dating to 6000–5000 BC have been discovered, "featuring 8,453 individual characters such as the sun, moon, stars, gods and scenes of hunting or grazing".These pictographs are reputed to be similar to the earliest characters confirmed to be written Chinese.[17] Chinese proto-writing existed in Jiahu around 7000 BC,[18] Dadiwan from 5800 BC to 5400 BC, Damaidi around 6000 BC[19] and Banpo dating from the 5th millennium BC. Some scholars have suggested that Jiahu symbols (7th millennium BC) were the earliest Chinese writing system.[18] Excavation of a Peiligang culture site in Xinzheng county, Henan, found a community that flourished in 5,500 to 4,900 BC, with evidence of agriculture, constructed buildings, pottery, and burial of the dead.
[20] "

There are modern historical artifacts from various countries that date back greater than 6,000 years and going up to 10,000 years. And when we transition into archeology we have artifacts going back hundreds of thousands of years.

And again, theologically we have a problems with YECism as well, we have YECs figuratively interpreting the original meaning of the OT.

Example:
The Waters Above the Firmament
Here we have a YEC that thinks that the windows of the firmament may have been black holes or that the pillars holding up the earth may have referred to the arms of the Milky Way galaxy viewed in the sky at night. How absurd it is to think that the original authors of Genesis were actually referring to black holes when speaking of windows of the firmament. The YEC position is truly an abomination when we lift the veil off of it's alleged piety.

None of this is circular. The YEC position is simply unreasonable. Whereas the theistic evolution position quite easily makes sense of all of the above. The archaeological and historical records are accurate and the earth is millions of years old in accordance with theistic evolution. The scriptural interpretations suggesting that Genesis was written literally is accurate, Hebrew authors of the oldest books of the OT believed earth was flat (which is a rational position for anyone who doesn't have satellite technology and Google earth), again nothing at odds with theistic evolution, YECs have issue with literal interpretations of various verses in Genesis. And with the findings of superposition of the faunal succession, scientifically, theistic evolution of course thrives with respect to sciences.

Again, nothing circular, nor does theistic evolution preclude God (but rather it hinges on God as creator), contrary to what atheists might say.

Christians agree that modern atheism and ontological naturalism or materialism is an issue. But denying science and backing into the dark world of young earth creationism, is a terrible solution.

I believe in god but my belief is based fact, it is based solely on faith.
There is no actual proof that any part of religion is true...2000 years ago...the earth was flat, diseases were caused by evil spirts, the earth was the center of the universe, natural disasters like earthquakes were cause of god or the gods anger...now for facts, The earth is no flat, diseases are caused by germs and virus's, the earth is not the center of the universe and earthquakes are caused by the movement of tectonic plates. Geology, Astronomy, archeology, biology have debunked much of the bible and other religions. Religion is about faith not facts. Do
I think parts of the bible are historical fact yes...but archeology has debunked much of the bible. Probably the biggest issue, every major civilization in the last 6000 years has left archeological evidence. Solomon was supposed to be the wisest and richest king of his day, people the world over came to see him. Yet despite living at a time where scribes were already likely writing the Bible, no inscriptions from across the greater region bear his name. Outside the bible he there is no evidence of his exitance. And yes some Christians and Jews have come up with evidence that does not hold up under the archeological microscope. Religion is about faith not about facts.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Sam Saved by Grace

Aug 10, 2021
Fort Worth, Texas
✟7,637.00
Country
United States
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Single
but archeology has debunked much of the bible.
[Staff Edit] The Bible has never been, nor will it ever be, "debunked".

"Heaven and earth will pass away, but My words will not pass away." -Matthew 24:35

All Scripture is inspired by God and profitable for teaching, for reproof, for correction, for training in righteousness -2 Timothy 3:16

You are putting way too much stock in the observations and theorizations of fallen men. The Bible is our ultimate authority.

Last edited by a moderator:
Upvote 0

Jun 15, 2017
Hartford, Connecticut
✟296,278.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Rather than "debunked", I would probably lean toward an understanding that science has expanded upon what the authors of the OT had known. Science wouldn't invalidate scripture or debunk it, but I think that science would illuminate concepts that scripture simply didn't cover or that historical Jews were not aware of.

Upvote 0

Sam Saved by Grace

Aug 10, 2021
Fort Worth, Texas
✟7,637.00
Country
United States
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Single
Yet another example of how you will deceptively misrepresent one's argument just enough so as to attack it more easily. Why do I even bother with someone like you?

I was speaking of evidence - not absolute certainty. And you know this. This is what you quoted:

"Regardless of whether or not you all are personally guilty of this, the fact remains that the assertion of modern atheists such as Richard Dawkins and PZ Myers is that because there is no evidence for the supernatural, the supernatural cannot be said to exist."

I did not say that modern atheists such as Dawkins and Myers assert that because there is no evidence for the supernatural, the supernatural does not exist. I said that they assert that the supernatural cannot be said to exist. There is quite a difference. And I accurately represented their position.

Yet you responded:

You're wrong about that, too:
He is regarded as the most famous atheist in the world but last night Professor Richard Dawkins admitted he could not be sure that God does not exist.

And then you conclude:

He's quite aware that the methodological naturalism used by scientists cannot rule out God.

So you flat out misrepresent my statement, quote Dawkins to refute the statement I never made, and then conclude that because of that, he is aware that methodological naturalism cannot out God - a total non-sequitur. And perfect example of your nonsense.

Upvote 0

The Barbarian

Crabby Old White Guy
Apr 3, 2003
✟368,095.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
Yet another example of how you will deceptively misrepresent one's argument just enough so as to attack it more easily.

You, for example, seem to have just done exactly that...

Why do I even bother with someone like you?

Because I see, even when you do those things, you still believe. That matters to me.

I did not say that modern atheists such as Dawkins and Myers assert that because there is no evidence for the supernatural, the supernatural does not exist.

More precisely you said that they say that the supernatural cannot be said to exist. But of course, as Dawkins pointed out, such a stand is not reasonable, since one can't rule out the supernatural.

So one can say it exists. It merely can't be proven or disproven by science.

Upvote 0