want-love

Dec 17, 2016
united states
✟36,489.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
the last time i went to a church was to receive blessing, they made out a show yelling and praying crying for my convertion to christianism, i am Christian since my birthday

on the other church i went was for a disease i have i wanted to be heal, among 6 men begun to pray against a demon out of me and the demon never existed

so church is not a good place for me, i have no patience for these kinds of sins

sandman

Aug 17, 2003
MI
✟121,966.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Divorced
Politics
US-Constitution
the last time i went to a church was to receive blessing, they made out a show yelling and praying crying for my convertion to christianism, i am Christian since my birthday

on the other church i went was for a disease i have i wanted to be heal, among 6 men begun to pray against a demon out of me and the demon never existed

so church is not a good place for me, i have no patience for these kinds of sins

I understand …. although I can’t imagine what your experience was like. I left for other reasons and I will never go back to an organized religion again… Certainly they are not all bad and many find solace within their church… which is great. My solace is with home fellowships associated with biblical research and teaching…which is the pattern set forth in the books of Acts.

When people ask about why I don’t go to church. I tell them…. that not only am I the church (the called of God) We are the holy naos (temple) and God literally dwells within us ….He is not in buildings… He is in people.

Upvote 0

NBB

Site Supporter
Apr 19, 2013
Uruguay
✟454,520.00
Country
Uruguay
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
The bible says to not stop congregating 'like some have for costume'
So.... we should try to go if we can find one.
Also i am not going right now, but i plan to go. I think its important because the presence of God manifest better in a reunion.

Upvote 0
Apr 19, 2020
Virginia
✟95,798.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I pray that God leads me to a group He wants me to participate with. Though there are many churches in my area, this prayer has not yet been answered. I do volunteer work in the community based on Christian scriptures and I derive much pleasure from this. Also, I haven't been a member of a church since the mid 1980s. My wife is a Deacon in the Episcopalian faith, but, I have strong disagreements with any state sponsored religion.

Upvote 0

Dave G.

May 22, 2017
Sandiwich
✟324,779.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Widowed
Church for the time being. My wife has been asked to sing solo at her old Baptist church she attended so I go to support her. I'm sure eventually membership will come up and that will either leave me as a guest or banned when I tell them I already belong to a church.. I belong to the church in heaven, the body of Christ. Most denominations have let in the world and secularism, policies and music there of or they are super legalistic.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Neogaia777

Old Soul
Site Supporter
Oct 10, 2011
Oregon
✟961,097.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Celibate
so do you blame yourself using the phrase i am lazy?
Try not to, wouldn't be a true reason to go anyway, I'm still looking for mine, and the right place for it, etc...

God and I go rounds and rounds on it sometimes, etc, lol...

I'm too focused on my true reasons and motives being truly pure most of the time, and in most cases, etc, lol...

I don't know if I'd be going for me at all yet, etc...?

Anyway, don't know, and as they say in relationship circles: "it's complicated", etc...

I'm still searching, and still looking, both into a church, and into myself, etc, and won't ever stop doing that (either one of those things) either, etc...

God Bless!

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Maria Billingsley

Site Supporter
Oct 7, 2018
Martinez
✟906,489.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

I'm still trying to find scripture that requires "church attendance" to an organized congregation. Paul encourages us to meet in order to stir up one another and Jesus Christ of Nazareth said two or three and He is there, but no other mega church requirement. A Pastor has no power over the breaking of bread and the drinking of wine for remembrance nor are we required to take in a sermon (which always needs to be discerned), listen to loud music or provide employment for workers. Let's face it, "churches" today are far removed from the biblical model the Apostles set in place. So why do some shame those who wish to engage in a more simplified and meaningful alternative to corporate worship?
Blessings.

Upvote 0

ViaCrucis

Confessional Lutheran
Oct 2, 2011
Pacific Northwest
✟732,319.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Others
The point of gathering together is because it is in gathering together that we are the Church, because it is in our gathering together that we hear the word, that we receive the Lord's Supper, that we offer thanksgiving and praise to God, and offer our prayers to God. It's what we've always done, and it is for our benefit.

And I can offer first hand experience that time apart from the Body is unhealthy for one's soul. There is spiritual therapy here in God's Word and Sacraments, in the fellowship of the Body, in the hymns and prayers of the Faithful, in the confession of our sins, and in the affirmation of our faith.

As Christians we need these things. God promises to actually be present through His Word and Sacraments to us, to minister to and heal us with His grace.

True, it's not about the building. But dedicated sacred spaces are beneficial for our gathered worship because such spaces are for that purpose. Even the ancient so-called "house churches" of the early centuries were specifically designated sacred spaces where the houses had been worked on and changed to actually accommodate the gathering of the Faithful. While mosaics, stained glass, various paraments, etc may not be "necessary", Christians have always dressed up their sacred spaces with visible marks of our Christian faith. Images of Christ and the saints, images from stories from the Bible, symbols (especially the cross), etc. Various practices developed, not as meaningless "ritual", but rather as things which help facilitate the preaching of the Word and the receiving of the Sacraments. For example, why do we historically recite Creeds as part of a traditional worship service? It originates from baptismal confessions of faith. The earliest Creeds are baptismal confessions, where the baptismal candidate is asked, "Do you believe in the Father, Almighty Maker of heaven and earth?" and "Do you believe in Jesus Christ, His only-begotten Son, born of the Virgin Mary..." etc. Since baptisms typically happen in the context of the gathered fellowship, not only did the baptismal candidates confess their faith, but the entire congregation confessed their faith together with them. Thus by openly confessing what we believe with and to one another we are saying, "Here is our agreement in Christ: We have one God, the Father, Almighty Maker of heaven and earth, and in Jesus Christ His only-begotten Son, our Lord..."

As many have distanced themselves from "organized religion" the fruits of these things have been consistent: People are not hearing the word of God, people are not being taught and instructed in the faithful teaching of the Christian Church, there is an exponential growth in both biblical and theological illiteracy. People are, rather than abiding in good and faithful preaching and teaching, turning their ears toward less reputable sources for their spiritual and religious formation. They are turning to politics, turning to entertainment, turning to the latest fads. Heresies are growing in abundance, and con-artists and false prophets are thieves robbing lambs from the flock of Christ. Wild beasts are preying on the weak and the unaware.

Are there a lot of really toxic and weird and bad churches out there? Of course there are. And I don't think anyone should be part of those. But there are as many, if not more, very good, solid churches which are faithfully committed to the work entrusted to us by Christ. Where God ministers to us through Word and Sacrament because there is an abiding in the historic teaching of the faith and the word of God which has been received since the beginning.

The answer to the problem of problematic churches isn't no church at all. The answer to that problem is the need and importance of faithful churches, and for the Faithful to be fed and shepherded in the things of Christ.

And no matter how often you might open up your Bible or watch a Christian tv show or listen to "Christian music". Without the Body you're just a limb that is seeking to amputate itself. The arm needs the Body, the leg needs the Body, because the Body is held together under its Head, which is Christ Jesus our Lord. A branch cut off from the root withers. Do not wither, but thrive in the abundance of Christ which is in His Body, where He gives Himself in Word and Sacrament as true heavenly food and drink for us.

-CryptoLutheran

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Neogaia777

Old Soul
Site Supporter
Oct 10, 2011
Oregon
✟961,097.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Celibate
John 4:20-24

“Our fathers worshiped on this mountain, and you Jews say that in Jerusalem is the place where one ought to worship.” Jesus said to her, “Woman, believe Me, the hour is coming when you will neither on this mountain, nor in Jerusalem, worship the Father. You worship what you do not know; we know what we worship, for salvation is of the Jews. But the hour is coming, and now is, when the true worshipers will worship the Father in spirit and truth; for the Father is seeking such to worship Him. God is Spirit, and those who worship Him must worship in spirit and truth.”

God Bless!

Upvote 0

NBB

Site Supporter
Apr 19, 2013
Uruguay
✟454,520.00
Country
Uruguay
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I'm still trying to find scripture that requires "church attendance" to an organized congregation. Paul encourages us to meet in order to stir up one another and Jesus Christ of Nazareth said two or three and He is there, but no other mega church requirement. A Pastor has no power over the breaking of bread and the drinking of wine for remembrance nor are we required to take in a sermon (which always needs to be discerned), listen to loud music or provide employment for workers. Let's face it, "churches" today are far removed from the biblical model the Apostles set in place. So why do some shame those who wish to engage in a more simplified and meaningful alternative to corporate worship?
Blessings.

I think it doesn't matter if its a mega church or not, the important thing is if God is present and if they preach the correct doctrine.

Upvote 0

JimR-OCDS

God Cannot Be Grasped, Except Through Love
Oct 28, 2008
The Kingdom of Heaven
Visit site
✟187,597.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
My wife and myself were very much involved with our parish when we were younger.
We taught religious ed classes, ran the food booth at the parish bazar and I played.
and sang in the music group at Mass.

Anyway, things happened which wounded us, but God sent his blessing to help us
through it.

Since the COVID-19 pandemic, I've only been to Mass twice. My wife and myself
are both at high-risk health wise. We're over 70 years of age and have health issues
which keep us home. We do watch the Mass on TV from the National Shrine in
Washington DC. Since then, I went to Mass once at my parish and it was so distracting,
that I stayed with the TV Mass and my wife and myself are content watching it every
Saturday Evening.

Will we go back to Mass? I'm sure we will. However, whether or not it will be in our
parish or not, we don't know.

Upvote 0

want-love

Dec 17, 2016
united states
✟36,489.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
My wife and myself were very much involved with our parish when we were younger.
We taught religious ed classes, ran the food booth at the parish bazar and I played.
and sang in the music group at Mass.

Anyway, things happened which wounded us, but God sent his blessing to help us
through it.

Since the COVID-19 pandemic, I've only been to Mass twice. My wife and myself
are both at high-risk health wise. We're over 70 years of age and have health issues
which keep us home. We do watch the Mass on TV from the National Shrine in
Washington DC. Since then, I went to Mass once at my parish and it was so distracting,
that I stayed with the TV Mass and my wife and myself are content watching it every
Saturday Evening.

Will we go back to Mass? I'm sure we will. However, whether or not it will be in our
parish or not, we don't know.
I'm protestant

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Jan 18, 2023
Silkeborg
✟9,442.00
Country
Denmark
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
I have not set foot in church for years because I was astray from my faith,
but I am going this Sunday and hopefully as many sundays as possible in the future.
I mainly go for praying and the music, and also I currently don’t know any other christians in my town.
Hoping to find people to talk to.

Upvote 0

atpollard

Jun 18, 2017
Florida
✟116,285.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
And no matter how often you might open up your Bible or watch a Christian tv show or listen to "Christian music". Without the Body you're just a limb that is seeking to amputate itself. The arm needs the Body, the leg needs the Body, because the Body is held together under its Head, which is Christ Jesus our Lord. A branch cut off from the root withers. Do not wither, but thrive in the abundance of Christ which is in His Body, where He gives Himself in Word and Sacrament as true heavenly food and drink for us.
:thumbsup:

Upvote 0

atpollard

Jun 18, 2017
Florida
✟116,285.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
With COVID, I just got out of the habit of regular attendance.
Since things have eased up with COVID, my wife has been ill and I have chosen to not leave her alone.
We both hope to return soon ... we miss it.

Upvote 0

JimR-OCDS

God Cannot Be Grasped, Except Through Love
Oct 28, 2008
The Kingdom of Heaven
Visit site
✟187,597.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Upvote 0