Nov 12, 2008
✟240,799.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Private
If they give you an advantage, and generations of your offspring pass on this advantage to their offspring, and so are more successful in producing and raising young than average, over many generations those genes may spread through the population, becoming the new successful standard. That is evolution (simplified).
Or witness the global example we have on our doorsteps. Omicron is replacing delta because it is "better" - spreads faster, spreads more easily, doesn't kill as many hosts. It's won the lottery. (And it's not even alive!)

Upvote 0

FrumiousBandersnatch

Mar 20, 2009
✟326,742.00
Faith
Atheist
Or witness the global example we have on our doorsteps. Omicron is replacing delta because it is "better" - spreads faster, spreads more easily, doesn't kill as many hosts. It's won the lottery. (And it's not even alive!)
It's a good example - although killing hosts is not a selective disadvantage in the short term, since it is most infectious in the period before severe illness & death occurs (even before symptoms appear). Severe illness and death typically occur in the post-viral period after the infection has subsided, as a result of immune over-reaction.

This means that this virus could evolve to be more rather than less lethal, and we've been lucky with Omicron - although I suppose it's possible that mutations for virulence and infectiousness are antagonistic for some reason.

• Agree
Reactions: Hans Blaster
Upvote 0

Ophiolite

Recalcitrant Procrastinating Ape
Nov 12, 2008
✟240,799.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Private
It's a good example - although killing hosts is not a selective disadvantage in the short term, since it is most infectious in the period before severe illness & death occurs (even before symptoms appear). Severe illness and death typically occur in the post-viral period after the infection has subsided, as a result of immune over-reaction.

This means that this virus could evolve to be more rather than less lethal, and we've been lucky with Omicron - although I suppose it's possible that mutations for virulence and infectiousness are antagonistic for some reason.
Agreed, but if the virus doesn't kill the host, the host is available for possible reinfection at a later date. (That's implicitly covered by your reference to the short term.)

Upvote 0

FrumiousBandersnatch

Mar 20, 2009
✟326,742.00
Faith
Atheist
Agreed, but if the virus doesn't kill the host, the host is available for possible reinfection at a later date. (That's implicitly covered by your reference to the short term.)
Yes; the point for us today is that there appears to be no reason why a highly lethal variant, at least as infectious as Omicron, could not arise...

Upvote 0

Subduction Zone

Dec 17, 2012
✟230,461.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Or a virus could mutate to the point where it is almost harmless. HSV-1 comes to mind. Once you have that it tends to be for life but the most serious negative drawback appears to be unsightly cold sores. Between HSV-1 and HSV-2 over half of the population of the world is infected. Actually higher. 66% with HSV-1 alone and about 13% with HSV-2:

Massive proportion of world’s population are living with herpes infection

Upvote 0

tas8831

May 5, 2017
Northeast
✟101,040.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
Hi there,

So question is:
Get me?

The glass is half full after all!
Why don't you try to learn basic biology BEFORE starting all of these goofy threads?

Upvote 0

AV1611VET

SCIENCE CAN TAKE A HIKE
Site Supporter
Jun 18, 2006
Guam
✟4,909,532.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
If you adapt first, you are able to adapt more.

If you adapt more, you are able to adapt adaptation (Evolutionarily as is productive).

This is an irreducibly complex statement.
But who's to blame if you adapt? you or nature?

And who's to blame if you mutate? you or nature?

Reactions: Gottservant
Upvote 0

Gottservant

God loves your words, may men love them also
Site Supporter
Aug 3, 2006
✟276,687.00
Faith
Messianic
But who's to blame if you adapt? you or nature?

And who's to blame if you mutate? you or nature?

If you knew to adapt and you didn't, it's on your head - if anyone else suffers because of that, its on your head too.

Everyone knows judgment is coming, its people who hide behind theoretical occlusions (like "you can't do it on your own", "you can't do it for your family", "you can't do it up front") that are the most to blame.

Delusions come and go, but someone who is contrite about the power of God in that, will be saved.

Upvote 0

AV1611VET

SCIENCE CAN TAKE A HIKE
Site Supporter
Jun 18, 2006
Guam
✟4,909,532.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Put another way: multiple mutations pointing to adapting first, do not need to be adapted.
Just by way of observation on my part, it looks like you are using the term "to adapt" in the same sense as "to learn."

If you go back and read your posts and substitute "adapt" with "learn," they make more sense.

To me anyway.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Gottservant

Site Supporter
Aug 3, 2006
✟276,687.00
Faith
Messianic
Just by way of observation on my part, it looks like you are using the term "to adapt" in the same sense as "to learn."

If you go back and read your posts and substitute "adapt" with "learn," they make more sense.

To me anyway.

"Adapt" to me suggests, "readiness to respond".

Jesus said a scribe instructed in the things of God is like a householder who brings forth things new and old. As someone who is curious about Evolution, I have things learned and things adapted.

But yes you are right, it is better that we learn from adaptation, than adapt what we learn.

• Informative
Reactions: AV1611VET
Upvote 0

Warden_of_the_Storm

Oct 16, 2015
Wales
✟350,618.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Deist
Marital Status
Single
If you adapt first, you are able to adapt more.

If you adapt more, you are able to adapt adaptation (Evolutionarily as is productive).

This is an irreducibly complex statement.

That's not how biology works, and definitely not how evolution works.

It's not an irreducibly complex statement. It's an igorant and insipid statement.

Upvote 0

tas8831

May 5, 2017
Northeast
✟101,040.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
Why don't you adapt first, and mutate later?

I am constantly amazed at how eager some people are to draw attention to the fact that they have not bothered - ever - to actually try to understand the things they argue against.

Upvote 0

AV1611VET

SCIENCE CAN TAKE A HIKE
Site Supporter
Jun 18, 2006
Guam
✟4,909,532.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
I am constantly amazed at how eager some people are to draw attention to the fact that they have not bothered - ever - to actually try to understand the things they argue against.
I argue against LSD, and all I know about it is what the letters stand for.

• Winner
Reactions: Gottservant
Upvote 0

Ophiolite

Nov 12, 2008
✟240,799.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Private
I argue against LSD, and all I know about it is what the letters stand for.
I know you are American, but is that really sufficiently reason to be opposed to Sterling as a currency: librae, solidi, and denarii?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Ophiolite

Nov 12, 2008
✟240,799.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Private
Pre-decimialisation in the UK our currency was pounds, shilling and pence. 20 shillings to the pound, ten pennies to the shilling. These were identified as librae, solidi, and denarii, L.s.d. thus £4 2s. 4d (My first week's wage in a summer job as a 14 year old.)

Upvote 0

AV1611VET

SCIENCE CAN TAKE A HIKE
Site Supporter
Jun 18, 2006
Guam
✟4,909,532.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Pre-decimialisation in the UK our currency was pounds, shilling and pence. 20 shillings to the pound, ten pennies to the shilling. These were identified as librae, solidi, and denarii, L.s.d. thus £4 2s. 4d (My first week's wage in a summer job as a 14 year old.)
1 Chronicles 26:18 At Parbar westward, four at the causeway, and two at Parbar.

Upvote 0

Gottservant

Site Supporter
Aug 3, 2006
✟276,687.00
Faith
Messianic

*SNIP*

I would rather not argue, over some thing that lacks substance.

Last edited:
Upvote 0