Subduction Zone

Dec 17, 2012
✟230,461.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
What mechanism allows for adaptation w/o a mutation?
The changes without mutation would be limited, but a population can still evolve without mutations using:

• Natural selection is the process by which the best-adapted individuals produce the most offspring, which in turn carry forward to their offspring the genes that gave their parents the upper edge.
  • Genetic drift is a random process in which chance plays a role in deciding which gene variants (alleles) survive.
  • Gene flow occurs when genes are carried from one population to another. Also called migration, an example of gene is when pollen gets blown to a region where it previously did not exist, transporting new genetic material to that population.
One could conceivably have macro evolution, but I cannot see significant new traits arising without the new information from mutations.

So can evolution occur without mutations, yes . . . sort of.

Upvote 0

Gottservant

God loves your words, may men love them also
Supporter
Aug 3, 2006
✟276,687.00
Faith
Messianic
If I give birth, without mutating, my offspring will not lack an adaptation.

Just as long as I pass it on (the adaptation).

And if my progeny does not mutate, but passes on adaptation, the adaptation can be passed on with corrections - making it more adapted?

Upvote 0

Gottservant

Supporter
Aug 3, 2006
✟276,687.00
Faith
Messianic
What you need is a concept of "provocation": God does not simply create different species, He provokes them to change.

It's just that He never provokes them so much, that they need to be other than they were.

You introduce the notion of mutation provoking change, but you don't allow the equal provocation of "correction" - which is within the bound of the individual, but not by corruption (it is strength to strength).

Upvote 0

Warden_of_the_Storm

Oct 16, 2015
Wales
✟346,788.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Deist
Marital Status
Single
Design is a worthless term unless you can show design.

And mutations don't 'provoke' change in a species. Mutations ARE the change in a species, in a response to outside factors: environmental changes, migration of new species into areas, change in food scarcity, etc.

Gottservant, you don't know what you're talking about!

Upvote 0

partinobodycular

Jun 8, 2021
partinowherecular
✟86,416.00
Country
United States
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Single
  • Informative
Reactions: Gottservant
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

AV1611VET

SCIENCE CAN TAKE A HIKE
Supporter
Jun 18, 2006
Guam
✟4,896,437.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Not really. Some things are born mutated and adapted to their environment.
Well, true.

But if the environment changes ... say they move to another area ... then it can apply.

Upvote 0

Warden_of_the_Storm

Oct 16, 2015
Wales
✟346,788.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Deist
Marital Status
Single
Unfortunately, in this case Gottservant is actually correct, sometimes things adapt first and mutate second.

Yes, but Gottservant has no idea what he's talking about. He thinks that mutations and adaptations can be chosen by the animal or being that evolves.

Upvote 0

AV1611VET

SCIENCE CAN TAKE A HIKE
Supporter
Jun 18, 2006
Guam
✟4,896,437.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Upvote 0

AV1611VET

SCIENCE CAN TAKE A HIKE
Supporter
Jun 18, 2006
Guam
✟4,896,437.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Yes, but Gottservant has no idea what he's talking about. He thinks that mutations and adaptations can be chosen by the animal or being that evolves.

Isn't that the theory behind inoculations?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Warden_of_the_Storm

Oct 16, 2015
Wales
✟346,788.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Deist
Marital Status
Single
Hmmm.

Inoculations don't make your cooties adapt to the sudden intrusion of [whatever]?

Granted, inoculations and vaccines would count, in the broadest sense, as chosen adaptations, but not in the way that Gottservants thinks adaptations and mutations work.
He literally believes that you can choose what adaptations a species can have and you can choose what mutations you get. He believes that you can also choose what adaptations or mutations you can or choose not to pass on to your children, or that you can choose not to adapt or mutate at all.

• Informative
Reactions: AV1611VET
Upvote 0

AV1611VET

SCIENCE CAN TAKE A HIKE
Supporter
Jun 18, 2006
Guam
✟4,896,437.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Granted, inoculations and vaccines would count, in the broadest sense, as chosen adaptations, but not in the way that Gottservants thinks adaptations and mutations work.
He literally believes that you can choose what adaptations a species can have and you can choose what mutations you get. He believes that you can also choose what adaptations or mutations you can or choose not to pass on to your children, or that you can choose not to adapt or mutate at all.
Okay, thanks.

Upvote 0

Gottservant

Supporter
Aug 3, 2006
✟276,687.00
Faith
Messianic
I can choose to go to another environment, thankyou.

And I'm not saying you can gift adaptations to your young, but you can correct the adaptations they have - based on your own.

I can decide for them (my young), where they will be born, for example.

Upvote 0