Wales
✟350,618.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Deist
Marital Status
Single
I can choose to go to another environment, thankyou.

And I'm not saying you can gift adaptations to your young, but you can correct the adaptations they have - based on your own.

I can decide for them (my young), where they will be born, for example.

You can decide where your young will be born but that doesn't mean you can choose what adaptations they have. You also can't 'correct' adaptations either.

Upvote 0

Subduction Zone

Dec 17, 2012
✟230,461.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Either way, they will mutate first, then adapt.
Not quite right either. The ones that can do the best in the current environment will be more likely to pass on their genes. Adaptation is not what an individual does. It is what an entire population does.

Reactions: Frank Robert
Upvote 0

Gottservant

God loves your words, may men love them also
Site Supporter
Aug 3, 2006
✟276,687.00
Faith
Messianic
Not quite right either. The ones that can do the best in the current environment will be more likely to pass on their genes. Adaptation is not what an individual does. It is what an entire population does.

How did only populations evolving, evolve?

Were populations gradually tested until only the entire population could evolve?

Upvote 0

Subduction Zone

Dec 17, 2012
✟230,461.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
How did only populations evolving, evolve?

Were populations gradually tested until only the entire population could evolve?
I still wonder if you truly understand English at times.

There is no conscious act to evolve. The evolution of a population is merely a reaction. Think of it as being on the same order as falling. Life is not like a Warner Brothers cartoon. Real coyotes do not need to look at the audience before they start to fall.

Upvote 0

Gottservant

Site Supporter
Aug 3, 2006
✟276,687.00
Faith
Messianic
Nope, that question makes no sense. Try again.

I mean did a population come along and say "nope, we are not evolving individually"?

What are the odds of a population "knowing" that it can only evolve as a group?

Upvote 0

Warden_of_the_Storm

Oct 16, 2015
Wales
✟350,618.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Deist
Marital Status
Single
I mean did a population come along and say "nope, we are not evolving individually"?

What are the odds of a population "knowing" that it can only evolve as a group?

But, as has been said you time and time again: evolution is not something animals choose to do. Mutations, adaptations and evolution happen regardless if the animal has free will or not.

Upvote 0

Gottservant

Site Supporter
Aug 3, 2006
✟276,687.00
Faith
Messianic
But, as has been said you time and time again: evolution is not something animals choose to do. Mutations, adaptations and evolution happen regardless if the animal has free will or not.

Yes, but why do parents say "he has your eyes"?

Why don't they say "he has your population's eyes"?

Upvote 0

Warden_of_the_Storm

Oct 16, 2015
Wales
✟350,618.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Deist
Marital Status
Single

At this point, you're just being willingly obtuse with this sort of comment.

• Agree
Reactions: Hans Blaster
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Gottservant

Site Supporter
Aug 3, 2006
✟276,687.00
Faith
Messianic
At this point, you're just being willingly obtuse with this sort of comment.

What? I am saying you are directly contravening the lived experience of populations of people - for something I cannot fathom.

You get some special pleasure out of keeping your understanding of Evolution pure, is that it?

I can learn from that, but you have to be reasonable and make it clear, what it is - that you know that you believe it?

Upvote 0

Warden_of_the_Storm

Oct 16, 2015
Wales
✟350,618.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Deist
Marital Status
Single
What? I am saying you are directly contravening the lived experience of populations of people - for something I cannot fathom.

You get some special pleasure out of keeping your understanding of Evolution pure, is that it?

I can learn from that, but you have to be reasonable and make it clear, what it is - that you know that you believe it?

Gottservant, read exactly what I am saying: evolution is not something any being or person has control over. Evolution happens whether you want it to or not.

This has been said to you time and time and time again and yet you seem to choose to ignore it.

Upvote 0

Gottservant

Site Supporter
Aug 3, 2006
✟276,687.00
Faith
Messianic
Gottservant, read exactly what I am saying: evolution is not something any being or person has control over. Evolution happens whether you want it to or not.

This has been said to you time and time and time again and yet you seem to choose to ignore it.

No time and time again, people say "he has your eyes" and you are ignoring it.

Why expect me to do an about face, when you give me no reason to invest in the theory further?

I don't decide for you what you can believe about God, why do you decide for me, that what I believe about Evolution, should rest on inferior logic?

Upvote 0

Warden_of_the_Storm

Oct 16, 2015
Wales
✟350,618.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Deist
Marital Status
Single
No time and time again, people say "he has your eyes" and you are ignoring it.

That's called familial resemblance and is based on shared genetics between family members.

Why expect me to do an about face, when you give me no reason to invest in the theory further?

I don't decide for you what you can believe about God, why do you decide for me, that what I believe about Evolution, should rest on inferior logic?

I don't give a single damn if you invest in the theory or not. Evolution happens whether you want it to or not. Do you understand this?

If not, I'll repeat: evolution happens whether you want it to or not.

See? This is why I called you a troll in another thread.

Upvote 0

Gottservant

Site Supporter
Aug 3, 2006
✟276,687.00
Faith
Messianic
That's called familial resemblance and is based on shared genetics between family members.

I don't give a single damn if you invest in the theory or not. Evolution happens whether you want it to or not. Do you understand this?

If not, I'll repeat: evolution happens whether you want it to or not.

See? This is why I called you a troll in another thread.

You should be happy that you are gradually getting credibility, by answering people's questions.

Setting a limit to people's curiosity, because you are too inflexible to see differently, does not agree, with the fact that growing interpretations could lift Evolution, above survival.

There is something everything every Evolutionist doubts, because there is something everyone doubts - reconciling yourself to that, should be close to, if not your top priority.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Warden_of_the_Storm

Oct 16, 2015
Wales
✟350,618.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Deist
Marital Status
Single
You should be happy that you are gradually getting credibility, by answering people's questions.

Setting a limit to people's curiosity, because you are too inflexible to see differently, does not agree, with the fact that growing interpretations could lift Evolution, above survival.

There is something everything every Evolutionist doubts, because there is something everyone doubts - reconciling yourself to that, should be close to, if not your top priority.

I don't care about any of that.

Evolution happens regardless of whether a person or being wants it to happen or not. Why is this a hard concept for you to understand?

Upvote 0

Gottservant

Site Supporter
Aug 3, 2006
✟276,687.00
Faith
Messianic

Evolution happens regardless of whether a person or being wants it to happen or not. Why is this a hard concept for you to understand?

The Devil makes it hard for me to believe it, and your response was to let the Devil win?

If you don't defend your stance, I'm not waiting for you to lose - I am trying to ensure as few people as possible fall in to the ditch of blind expectation, that left me dying of doubt, as long as I allowed it to (getting ready to believe in Evolution, as I was doing).

It's like hearing people believe in Thor: you don't say "show me Thor", Thor is a mythological belief, you say "I will test it and when it proves unhelpful that I start to trust it, then I will overturn my belief in Thor" that is, by refusing to trust it more than as a myth.

The problem for you is that you won't even come to the table, if you said "show me Scriptures" I could show you, whether from Evolution's perspective or otherwise, but your defence is "nothing not explicitly evolving warrants my attention" - if that isn't the textbook definition of close-mindedness, I don't know what is?

Upvote 0

Warden_of_the_Storm

Oct 16, 2015
Wales
✟350,618.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Deist
Marital Status
Single
The Devil makes it hard for me to believe it, and your response was to let the Devil win?

If you don't defend your stance, I'm not waiting for you to lose - I am trying to ensure as few people as possible fall in to the ditch of blind expectation, that left me dying of doubt, as long as I allowed it to (getting ready to believe in Evolution, as I was doing).

It's like hearing people believe in Thor: you don't say "show me Thor", Thor is a mythological belief, you say "I will test it and when it proves unhelpful that I start to trust it, then I will overturn my belief in Thor" that is, by refusing to trust it more than as a myth.

The problem for you is that you won't even come to the table, if you said "show me Scriptures" I could show you, whether from Evolution's perspective or otherwise, but your defence is "nothing not explicitly evolving warrants my attention" - if that isn't the textbook definition of close-mindedness, I don't know what is?

I'll repeat:

Please answer the underlined and italicised question.

Upvote 0

SkyWriting

The Librarian
Site Supporter
Jan 10, 2010
Milwaukee
✟410,948.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Hi there,

So question is:
Get me?

The glass is half full after all!

To a small extent, an organism does respond to conditions and pass along minor changes to it's offspring. But generally the death of an individual is the end of it's reproduction and causes the modification of the population.

Upvote 0

FrumiousBandersnatch

Mar 20, 2009
✟326,742.00
Faith
Atheist

Because you inherit 50% of your genes from each parent, and genes determine your eye colour. However, you also have some mutations to the genes you inherit which means some of your genes are not exactly the same as one or other of your parents. These mutations may, sooner or later, give you an advantage or a disadvantage in producing and raising healthy offspring.

If they give you an advantage, and generations of your offspring pass on this advantage to their offspring, and so are more successful in producing and raising young than average, over many generations those genes may spread through the population, becoming the new successful standard. That is evolution (simplified).

Upvote 0