Why don't preppers ever use sprouting for carbs? No energy needed and can be eaten raw.

SavedByGrace3

Jesus is Lord of ALL! (Not asking permission)
Site Supporter
Jun 6, 2002
Midlands
Visit site
✟562,497.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
If anyone doesn't see the need to prepare, should turn off their utilities and phones for a few hours.
Yes... and maybe skip grocery shopping for a month.

• Agree
Reactions: tturt
Upvote 0

bèlla

❤️
Site Supporter
Jan 16, 2019
USA
✟951,505.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
In Relationship
Preparation allows you to weather the unexpected and get more bang for your buck. Prices are rising. Including in food. Those with well stocked pantries are less affected than those who shop more frequently. Increases are impacting bulk purchases too.

And shortages are still occurring. We went to an Italian (chain) restaurant around Christmas and couldn’t order calamari. The Chinese restaurant was out of egg foo young on New Year’s Eve. Others mentioned empty shelves in the frozen section and additional areas in the store. Two CF members spoke of shipping backlogs. And I’m seeing backorder notices for appliances.

This is the new normal. We can’t go back to 2019. Things have changed. We have to adjust and stop assuming those conveniences still exist. They don’t.

~bella

Upvote 0

bekkilyn

Contemplative Christian
Site Supporter
Apr 27, 2017
USA
✟677,608.00
Country
United States
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Celibate
Politics
US-Others
Most of the shelves in my grocery store are still full, but that doesn't mean that they are stocked up on everything. They have simply put out more of what they have in stock to make up for any empty shelves that might exist from what they no longer have. Even so, most of the basics are there and you can still get pretty much anything unless you are looking for certain brands, but I expect this situation may change if there are not improvements in shipping.

We're having an ice storm tomorrow and when I went to the grocery store this morning for a salad and another couple of obligatory cans of something, it was a bit more crowded than usual but not swarming with people and lines, so I have to wonder if that means more people are getting the message about being prepared or if they are just waiting until rush hour this evening to do everything last minute.

Upvote 0

SavedByGrace3

Site Supporter
Jun 6, 2002
Midlands
Visit site
✟562,497.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Yup... when we first started prepping, we would buy 50 pound bags of rice at Sam's club for $17.
Now it has almost doubled, and our Sam's club does not even sell it in quantity any longer. Nor do they sell large bags of beans (big lima, pinto, white beans).
Still, it is cheaper than it is going to be as inflation gets even worse.
We are seeing shortages for select items. Canned goods, drinks, meat prices are outrageous, Eggs have doubled (even at Aldis).
Get it while you can folks. It is not going to get any better.

Preparation allows you to weather the unexpected and get more bang for your buck. Prices are rising. Including in food. Those with well stocked pantries are less affected than those who shop more frequently. Increases are impacting bulk purchases too.

And shortages are still occurring. We went to an Italian (chain) restaurant around Christmas and couldn’t order calamari. The Chinese restaurant was out of egg foo young on New Year’s Eve. Others mentioned empty shelves in the frozen section and additional areas in the store. Two CF members spoke of shipping backlogs. And I’m seeing backorder notices for appliances.

This is the new normal. We can’t go back to 2019. Things have changed. We have to adjust and stop assuming those conveniences still exist. They don’t.

~bella

• Agree
Reactions: bèlla
Upvote 0

SavedByGrace3

Site Supporter
Jun 6, 2002
Midlands
Visit site
✟562,497.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Most of the shelves in my grocery store are still full, but that doesn't mean that they are stocked up on everything. They have simply put out more of what they have in stock to make up for any empty shelves that might exist from what they no longer have. Even so, most of the basics are there and you can still get pretty much anything unless you are looking for certain brands, but I expect this situation may change if there are not improvements in shipping.

We're having an ice storm tomorrow and when I went to the grocery store this morning for a salad and another couple of obligatory cans of something, it was a bit more crowded than usual but not swarming with people and lines, so I have to wonder if that means more people are getting the message about being prepared or if they are just waiting until rush hour this evening to do everything last minute.
"Just in time stocking" is the curse on our supply. Many stores do not stock more than a few days ahead. As we have seen in the last couple years, all it takes is one panic (we call them panic preppers) buying to empty the shelves. The sight of empty shelves makes it even worse. When stuff shows up on the shelves again, people buy all they can get and horde it. Stores start to limit the amount you can buy.
I am amazed that people went through the shortages last year, and the STILL refuse to do some commonsense prepping. Even in this forum we hear people saying that there is no need for it. Unbelievable.

Upvote 0

bekkilyn

Contemplative Christian
Site Supporter
Apr 27, 2017
USA
✟677,608.00
Country
United States
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Celibate
Politics
US-Others
"Just in time stocking" is the curse on our supply. Many stores do not stock more than a few days ahead. As we have seen in the last couple years, all it takes is one panic (we call them panic preppers) buying to empty the shelves. The sight of empty shelves makes it even worse. When stuff shows up on the shelves again, people buy all they can get and horde it. Stores start to limit the amount you can buy.
I am amazed that people went through the shortages last year, and the STILL refuse to do some commonsense prepping. Even in this forum we hear people saying that there is no need for it. Unbelievable.

Even people without a lot of extra money can still do some preparations, even if it's only adding in one bag or one can of something or a candle or package of batteries, etc. to a regular grocery trip. It's still one more thing than you had before and they add up over the course of time.

Upvote 0

bèlla

❤️
Site Supporter
Jan 16, 2019
USA
✟951,505.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
In Relationship
Still, it is cheaper than it is going to be as inflation gets even worse.
We are seeing shortages for select items. Canned goods, drinks, meat prices are outrageous, Eggs have doubled (even at Aldis).
Get it while you can folks. It is not going to get any better.

Several homesteading bloggers mentioned meat price increases. Even those buying bulk. My supplier hasn’t raised his prices to consumers. His primary market is retail and restaurants. He’s more affordable than others.

Our egg prices are unchanged. I like duck eggs for egg dishes and chicken for the rest. The farmers market has one hour pickups six days a week. We’re grabbing an order today and hitting the vegetable market Monday.

I’m ordering my Komo tonight. I have a local supplier for grain and flour. We’re getting a pail of einkorn. I need to do an Azure and seed order too.

I purchased 2 five gallon water bottles the other day. So we’ll have extras. I may get another set. I like having things in place.

~bella

Upvote 0

Kettriken

Feb 10, 2020
Pennsylvania
✟41,816.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anabaptist
Marital Status
Private
And Ruth’s demonstrates His perspective for the able. Was the grain delivered to her door? No. Were provisions given to Naomi before she gleaned? No. The bible doesn’t say that.

Ruth did her part. She heeded the practice for the poor. She wasn’t depending on others to work on her behalf or meet her needs.

There’s a difference between doing your part and filling in the gap with aid and never lifting a finger. Diligence is a fruit of the spirit. So is self-control.

A good man leaves an inheritance to his children’s children…

~bella

I don't think we read that story in the same way. Yes, Ruth gleaned to support herself and her mother in law. Boaz took an interest and gave them extra grain. Later, at the urging of Naomi, Ruth tried to seduce him to meet their ongoing needs. The story has a happy outcome, but not because Ruth and Naomi were hard working and self sufficient.

Upvote 0

bèlla

❤️
Site Supporter
Jan 16, 2019
USA
✟951,505.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
In Relationship
I don't think we read that story in the same way. Yes, Ruth gleaned to support herself and her mother in law. Boaz took an interest and gave them extra grain. Later, at the urging of Naomi, Ruth tried to seduce him to meet their ongoing needs. The story has a happy outcome, but not because Ruth and Naomi were hard working and self sufficient.

I didn’t say that. Nor do I believe she tried to seduce him.

Ruth and Naomi didn’t sit at home waiting on a savior. Or expect charity. She utilized the tools in place for their circumstances. Her diligence was rewarded.

There’s a lot of people who expect things to fall in their lap with no effort. They’re the grasshoppers in fairytales and the foolish in Proverbs.

Life doesn’t work like that. Especially in hard times. There’s an old saying; your sin will find you out. Our choices bring ease or hardship.

The prudent aren’t undone by uncertainty. They know its a fact of life. They don’t put all their eggs in one basket or spend every dime they make. They’re aware rainy days will come.

I wanted to have a year’s worth of food in my home. I’ll be there in a month. I have the meat. I didn’t want to be dependent on grocers. I’ve accomplished it. I’ve gotten the things I need so I’m not impacted by price increases or shortages. That’s wisdom.

I’m not supposed to twiddle my thumbs and hope my family has my back or rely on a neighbor. They’re dealing with the same. I wouldn’t burden them. That’s irresponsible.

~bella

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Kettriken

Feb 10, 2020
Pennsylvania
✟41,816.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anabaptist
Marital Status
Private
Why some don't use sprouting? Earlier research listed the risk of foodborne illnesses so can see where that would impact some.

Quite right. The mitigating factor is, again, water supply. Clean water means clean sprouts. Water is also one of the biggest factors in rehydrating dried food and dealing with heavily salted preserved foods.

Upvote 0

Kettriken

Feb 10, 2020
Pennsylvania
✟41,816.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anabaptist
Marital Status
Private
I’m not supposed to twiddle my thumbs and hope my family has my back or rely on a neighbor. They’re dealing with the same. I wouldn’t burden them. That’s irresponsible.

In my experience it is quite rare to find people who expect the world to fall into their lap or who are unwilling to lift a finger for their own sustenance. So rare it hardly bears addressing, aside from perhaps a fringe ministry. If you see it all the time, perhaps that is where the disconnect is coming from.

My point was never that we shouldn't do our best, but that our best looks different in different situations and either way is unrelated to whether or not we should have compassion on people in dire circumstances. Obviously, I'm in the prepper forum, and not just here to disagree, so my belief is that we should all do what we can to prepare for adversity.

As with our other conversation, this is probably not one that is most fruitful on an online forum. Too much room for misunderstanding and not enough for empathy. I wish you all the best, though. Your storehouse sounds quite impressive!

Upvote 0

bèlla

❤️
Site Supporter
Jan 16, 2019
USA
✟951,505.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
In Relationship
In my experience it is quite rare to find people who expect the world to fall into their lap or who are unwilling to lift a finger for their own sustenance.

People are conditioned to say what’s acceptable. Uncomfortable truths may be scorned or unwelcome. So we minimize it or talk around it. Acknowledging an inability to perform or desire for another to handle things isn’t easy.

I’m privy to much in my line of work. People admit things they’re reluctant to share with friends and family. They’re afraid of their response, ashamed, or bury it. They aren’t seeking my approval or trying to impress me. Getting it off their chest is easier.

I’m not suggesting it happens every day. I have my ear to the ground and engage in settings where its permissible to let it out. You get an intimate glimpse of their reality without being a counselor. They’ve spent money to be in that environment and are more forthcoming.

I do the same for two reasons: Personal betterment and the necessity of engaging with people from different walks of life. My circle is fairly narrow. You can develop a skewed idea of life when everyone’s the same. To combat that I avail myself to other options.

My point was never that we shouldn't do our best, but that our best looks different in different situations and either way is unrelated to whether or not we should have compassion on people in dire circumstances.

It does. That’s the primary reason I mention capacity and the importance of self-awareness and measurement. You’re not guessing haphazardly. The assessment is based on facts.

Emphasizing the importance of conscientiousness and diligence isn’t an omission of compassion. It was influenced by the remarks I’ve seen on the site. Not only related to the subject; but others that included similar behavior and mindsets which yielded the same.

The intention was preventative. All medicine isn’t sweet. Sometimes we need to hear hard truths. God is the only one we can count on no matter what. He never fails us. When we get that in our spirit we’ll adjust our expectations and be less disappointed.

We’ll understand the deeper meaning of psalm 23. You won’t grasp the fullness of the Shepherd until you know the sheep, his nature, and what a shepherd represents to them. Then you enter another dimension, go where you’re led, and place yourself in His basket. And everything changes.

~bella

• Informative
Reactions: Kettriken
Upvote 0

Kettriken

Feb 10, 2020
Pennsylvania
✟41,816.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anabaptist
Marital Status
Private
I’m privy to much in my line of work. People admit things they’re reluctant to share with friends and family. They’re afraid of their response, ashamed, or bury it. They aren’t seeking my approval or trying to impress me. Getting it off their chest is easier.

Thank you for the insight into your experience. It sounds like you are blessed with people's vulnerability, in all its messiness.

I do the same for two reasons: Personal betterment and the necessity of engaging with people from different walks of life. My circle is fairly narrow. You can develop a skewed idea of life when everyone’s the same. To combat that I avail myself to other options.

This is something that I've struggled with. I know that I'm in a limited group and seek out different perspectives. Unfortunately, growing the type of relationships that lead to understanding is difficult.

We’ll understand the deeper meaning of psalm 23. You won’t grasp the fullness of the Shepherd until you know the sheep, his nature, and what a shepherd represents to them. Then you enter another dimension, go where you’re led, and place yourself in His basket. And everything changes.

May we all be blessed with the peace and belonging that God offers his flock at the banquet table.

• Friendly
Upvote 0

bèlla

❤️
Site Supporter
Jan 16, 2019
USA
✟951,505.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
In Relationship
I wish you all the best, though. Your storehouse sounds quite impressive!

Thank you for the well wishes. I extend the same.

The larder is a work-in-progress. I began gathering alternative food sources several years ago while contemplating a move. It led me to courses and related sources for self-sufficiency.

Admittedly, we had extra as a norm. The pandemic created deficits in our area due to shortages and strife. They looted grocers and pharmacies too. We went from plenty in respect to options to loss in the blink of an eye. The surrounding areas experienced the same.

No one plans for things like that. It’s one of the downsides of the neighborhood. But I learned a lot from the experience. Having things on hand is a must. I can’t assume it will be there.

Unlike some, I don’t have a garden. There’s a community garden in the vicinity but the boundaries are small. I fall outside of them. But I reached out to inquire if plots were available. It’s in walking distance and wouldn’t be hard to manage. Hopefully they’ll allow it.

There’s several books on the subject (building a pantry). I haven’t read them. Maybe others can chime in. My approach isn’t prepping per se. I buy what we like.

I recommend culinary classes, investing in cookbooks, or participating in monthly challenges. I’ve done them all. It expands your repertoire and provides the skills you need to cook seasonally. And you won’t be eating the same thing.

~bella

Reactions: Kettriken
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Kettriken

Feb 10, 2020
Pennsylvania
✟41,816.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anabaptist
Marital Status
Private
The larder is a work-in-progress. I began gathering alternative food sources several years ago while contemplating a move. It led me to courses and related sources for self-sufficiency.

I'm glad you had access to those resources. Growing up Mennonite, storing for winter was a common practice, even though my family of origin was a generation off the farm. I've wondered how easy it is for others to find the necessary information and support. State college extensions offices are very helpful, with each school having a different specialty.

We live in an area that has many options for groceries and household goods, so the pandemic short supply didn't hit as hard. It was still a good reminder and practice in how quickly things can go south, and what your fallback plans should be. Honestly, the biggest issue two years ago was the failure of the wild berry crop. Cultivated apples came through ok, but the foraging was dismal.

Unlike some, I don’t have a garden. There’s a community garden in the vicinity but the boundaries are small. I fall outside of them. But I reached out to inquire if plots were available. It’s in walking distance and wouldn’t be hard to manage. Hopefully they’ll allow it.

Lack of land in the city, or even some suburbs, is such a bummer. We thankfully have a garden plot not too far away and I plant colorful beans and herbs in some flower beds. I just got my first saffron harvest this year!

Upvote 0

bèlla

❤️
Site Supporter
Jan 16, 2019
USA
✟951,505.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
In Relationship
Thank you for the insight into your experience. It sounds like you are blessed with people's vulnerability, in all its messiness.

Physical attractiveness and home management are sensitive subjects. Many wrestle with societal and familial expectations. We laud the impossible and uncommon. It causes many to feel unworthy.

When you excel in these areas the world takes notice. Social networks reiterate that fact. Seeing the differences in a magazine or on television may be uncomfortable. But you accord it to wealth and fame. You expect it.

Social media brought the ordinary to your living room. While you could tolerate the other the new is painful. You didn’t expect to see the same. Questions arise and you begin to wonder what’s amiss. This leads to comparison, inferiority, and jealousy. And the truth spills out.

I’m not called to that demographic. But I’m conscious of their struggle. We don’t consider how others perceive us or how our circumstances can impact them unintentionally. I tailor my conversations to the setting and person to minimize upset. It still happens. But not to degree it could.

This is something that I've struggled with. I know that I'm in a limited group and seek out different perspectives. Unfortunately, growing the type of relationships that lead to understanding is difficult.

I’ve found a workaround of sorts. When I attempted to color outside the lines it imploded. Every time. Ease was the elephant in the room. I’ve been on the receiving end of unkindness because I wasn’t experiencing the same. That’s part of the reason He built my connections. They would never accept me. Not really.

Ask the Lord to give you divine companions. If they’re of a like mind that’s where He needs you. The people He placed beside me foreshadow my clientele. That’s where He wants me.

Don’t underestimate the value of encouragement. I’ve seen your posts. It’s an unsung trait in short supply. Many never hear well done or you can do it. You may not befriend them. But you can plant a seed nonetheless.

Broadcast…scattering it here and there. It lands where its meant.

~bella

Upvote 0

bèlla

❤️
Site Supporter
Jan 16, 2019
USA
✟951,505.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
In Relationship
I'm glad you had access to those resources. Growing up Mennonite, storing for winter was a common practice, even though my family of origin was a generation off the farm.

Thank you. You're equally blessed. My great grandparents and their loved ones were self-sufficient. They weren’t farmers. But we share the same practices and more than a few are on my wishlist. My aunt recalled her experiences growing up around them. Some behaviors trickled down. I’m the closest to that point and moving beyond.

I've wondered how easy it is for others to find the necessary information and support. State college extensions offices are very helpful, with each school having a different specialty.

I saw an article about the ten greenest states. I’d done a stint on the farm and wanted to increase my knowledge and self-suffiency. I did a lot of digging and began toying with the idea of life without a grocer.

Being a foodie helped. I was plugged in with aficionados and cooking enthusiasts. Sourcing alternatives was easy. I had a list of suppliers provided by a former employer and a community to query. I did most of the leg work and added information as I encountered it.

We were using specialty retailers. The butcher, bakery, wine and spice merchants, and fish and cheese mongers. Expanding the concept wasn’t difficult. The French approach to food was a huge influence. That’s how they live. We were doing the same on a smaller scale and went all-in.

Seasonal eating forced us to see food in that guise. We trained our mind and palates to follow suit. When I shopped and encountered items out of season I acknowledged it. They were off-limits and I didn’t buy them.

The Lord moved me along the path. I started canning and rejecting preservatives. I studied labels and began pruning my diet with His influence. We were already organic and avid bakers. And fairly conversant in the food industry. But He raised the bar.

Now we’re at a point where its necessary to do things ourselves and use different sources. The ingredients we require aren’t available everywhere or we’re after items in their native state. For instance, we’ve moved away from flour and procure grain in its place. Ancient and heirloom is our preference.

I share that to illustrate the Lord’s influence and willingness to use my interests and experiences to bring me to this point. I didn’t get here overnight. I developed skills in related subjects. The collective made it possible.

I recommend that approach for others desiring the same. Change is easier to implement when you understand the process than when you’re learning as you go. Although I didn’t have a garden I acquired the knowledge beforehand. Experts reference this as using your waiting time. I add something new every year.

Honestly, the biggest issue two years ago was the failure of the wild berry crop. Cultivated apples came through ok, but the foraging was dismal.

How did you handle it? Do you farm for profit?

Lack of land in the city, or even some suburbs, is such a bummer. We thankfully have a garden plot not too far away and I plant colorful beans and herbs in some flower beds. I just got my first saffron harvest this year!

There’s always tradeoffs. Living in the city provided perks I wouldn’t have elsewhere. Community gardens are scarce because the land is valuable. They can build a growing space or condo. The latter always wins. But they’re plentiful in other neighborhoods.

A saffron harvest? Wow! Spill the beans. :ebil:

~bella

Upvote 0

Kettriken

Feb 10, 2020
Pennsylvania
✟41,816.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anabaptist
Marital Status
Private
How did you handle it? Do you farm for profit?
We don't have the land to be self sufficient, let alone for profit. We're in a similar waiting space, trying to build the skills and discipline in anticipation of an eventual move. The wild berries were to be part of our plan to transition away from store bought alcohol. That's still a work in progress, but thankfully we can get decent local beer in reusable bottles. Not so much with wine.

A saffron harvest? Wow! Spill the beans.

If you can keep the squirrels and voles away, it's fairly easy. They're just a fall blooming crocus, hardy in zone six and up. Some sources say to mulch heavily in zone six. Every few years you dig them up and divide, so if you check garden groups or online marketplaces you can likely find corms for fairly cheap. If you buy through online distributors they'll charge quite a lot, but in a few years you'll have more.

For instance, we’ve moved away from flour and procure grain in its place. Ancient and heirloom is our preference.

We have some good local millers, but I haven't branched out much into ancient grains. Was it a big transition, or did you find it reasonable easy to switch?

Upvote 0

bèlla

❤️
Site Supporter
Jan 16, 2019
USA
✟951,505.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
In Relationship
The wild berries were to be part of our plan to transition away from store bought alcohol. That's still a work in progress, but thankfully we can get decent local beer in reusable bottles. Not so much with wine.

U-Pick is an option. You gather what you want and haul it home. You’d want a freezer to make the most of it. A dehydrator for homemade dried fruit and freeze dryer for powders.

If you can keep the squirrels and voles away, it's fairly easy. They're just a fall blooming crocus, hardy in zone six and up.

Thanks for the info. I don’t use enough to grow it. Mushrooms and coffee plants would yield a bigger return.

We have some good local millers, but I haven't branched out much into ancient grains. Was it a big transition, or did you find it reasonable easy to switch?

Whole Foods used to have a phenomenal bulk section. Our local stored sourced unique items. Even tarbais beans from France for cassoulet. Ancient grains were plentiful. As I learned more about them and the health benefits I decided to switch.

It isn’t difficult. But it can be more expensive depending on location. Buying from a mill guarantees freshness. Opting for grain over ground increases your options and shelf life. You save more with bulk of course.

I chose einkorn as our primary grain. Jovial has an all-purpose flour and numerous foods with einkorn. I used King Arthur and Bob’s Red Mill products in the past. We’ve moved away from modern wheat. Heirloom varieties are available. Many choose a secondary grain. But I haven’t decided yet.

Here’s a statement from The Whole Grains Council on the subject:

However, here at the Whole Grains Council, we generally define ancient grains loosely as grains that are largely unchanged over the last several hundred years.

This means that modern wheat (constantly bred and changed) is not an ancient grain, while einkorn, emmer/farro, Kamut®, and spelt would be considered ancient grains in the wheat family.

Heirloom varieties of other common grains — such as black barley, red and black rice, blue corn — might also be considered ancient grains. Other grains largely ignored until recently by Western palates (such as sorghum, teff, millet, quinoa, amaranth) would also be widely considered to be ancient grains. Sometimes less common grains, like buckwheat, or wild rice, are also included.

~bella

Upvote 0