Why don't christians trust the biblical timeline?

Percivale

Sam
Site Supporter
Feb 13, 2012
Southern Indiana
✟145,496.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Oh I believe you. I don't believe anyone can lose their salvation. But the genesis origins debate really isn't about us. It's really about the next generation in my view. They see how damaged the foundation of our faith is. They see the church rejecting the beginning of the Bible, and then asking the world to believe the end of it. The number of youth leaving the faith is really astounding. I've heard terrible statistics that up to 88% of kids raised in christian homes will leave the faith. I think it's directly related to the church abandoning God's word. If you want to see where we're headed, just take a look at England and the rest of Europe.
Making it appear that you have to reject science and stop thinking to be a Christians is one of the biggest things that makes people turn away from Christianity.
Radioisotope dating is based on straightforward math and measurements. The only interpretation is in 3 things the YECs call assumptions: how much of the parents isotope was there to begin with, whether the rate of decay is constant, and whether any was added or lost suddenly. If any of these things happen naturally, there would be scientific ways of finding it. If any of them happened supernaturally, it makes God a liar, because there could be no reason to except to deceive scientists. When God does miracles, he lets people know he's doing them and has a reason for it.

Genesis does not claim to be inerrant. From the structure it would seem Moses compiled and edited the stories that had been handed down, and they could well be true enough to be valuable without being accurate in every date and detail. We don't call a history book worthless because it has a few mistakes, and Jesus affirmed the value of the Torah while at the same time disagreeing with some of its specific teachings. (divorce, dietary laws) At the same time, there are some who believe Genesis is inerrant and is consistent with an old earth, and there even have been before modern science.

By the way, the Bible the early church used (the Septuagint) makes the earth about 7,500 years old. A minor detail, but why is it never mentioned?

Upvote 0

Yekcidmij

Presbyterian, Polymath
Feb 18, 2002
East Coast
✟232,556.00
Country
United States
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
By the way, the Bible the early church used (the Septuagint) makes the earth about 7,500 years old. A minor detail, but why is it never mentioned?

...because nobody knows about the differences. The Samaritan Pentateuch is different than the LXX and MT.

Upvote 0

miamited

Ted
Site Supporter
Oct 4, 2010
Seneca SC
✟705,807.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Making it appear that you have to reject science and stop thinking to be a Christians is one of the biggest things that makes people turn away from Christianity.
Radioisotope dating is based on straightforward math and measurements. The only interpretation is in 3 things the YECs call assumptions: how much of the parents isotope was there to begin with, whether the rate of decay is constant, and whether any was added or lost suddenly. If any of these things happen naturally, there would be scientific ways of finding it. If any of them happened supernaturally, it makes God a liar, because there could be no reason to except to deceive scientists. When God does miracles, he lets people know he's doing them and has a reason for it.

Genesis does not claim to be inerrant. From the structure it would seem Moses compiled and edited the stories that had been handed down, and they could well be true enough to be valuable without being accurate in every date and detail. We don't call a history book worthless because it has a few mistakes, and Jesus affirmed the value of the Torah while at the same time disagreeing with some of its specific teachings. (divorce, dietary laws) At the same time, there are some who believe Genesis is inerrant and is consistent with an old earth, and there even have been before modern science.

Hi percivale,

You wrote: Making it appear that you have to reject science and stop thinking to be a Christians is one of the biggest things that makes people turn away from Christianity.

Why is it that people who reject current scientific theories are then labeled derogatorily as being someone who has 'stopped thinking'? I think the Scriptures are clear that those with a kingdom worldview do 'think differently' than those of this world, but to say that someone has 'stopped thinking' because they don't agree with some current scientific theory really shows a total lack of understanding about what it means to 'think'. It is simply a ludicrous claim that is designed to denigrate the other and let them know that you think they are just stupid.

Trust me, I'm a young earth creationist and I have thought about how the biblical account of the events of creation occurred. The very fact that I do think is what gives me understanding that the current scientific theories are flawed. I think about how a scientist today could possibly have any assurance that what he can test today can honestly be extrapolated to the past. All we can do today is test that which we have today. Now, whether or not we are speaking the truth when we say, "So, this must be how it has always been, based on the tests we make today." requires a leap of faith that sets the wisdom of man above the wisdom of God.

You see, the God I know, can speak universes into existence by the mere power of His command. He can say, "Let there be light!", and instantly there is light from one end of the universe to the other. He doesn't have to wait for the light to get there. I mean, come on, we're speaking about a God who can raise dead people from the grave; a God who can cause the sun to go backwards; a God who can cause water to stand straight up without any physical support of any kind, and you don't think He can make light act outside of the 'laws' that we know today govern light? But, as the Scriptures warn, there are many people who serve many different gods.

BTW, just for the record, my 22 yo son is also a young earth creationist currently holding a 3.4 GPA @ Clemson university as a computer engineer. Trust me, he thinks!

God bless you.
In Christ, Ted

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Percivale

Sam
Site Supporter
Feb 13, 2012
Southern Indiana
✟145,496.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Hi percivale,

You wrote: Making it appear that you have to reject science and stop thinking to be a Christians is one of the biggest things that makes people turn away from Christianity.

Why is it that people who reject current scientific theories are then labeled derogatorily as being someone who has 'stopped thinking'? I think the Scriptures are clear that those with a kingdom worldview do 'think differently' than those of this world, but to say that someone has 'stopped thinking' because they don't agree with some current scientific theory really shows a total lack of understanding about what it means to 'think'. It is simply a ludicrous claim that is designed to denigrate the other and let them know that you think they are just stupid.

Trust me, I'm a young earth creationist and I have thought about how the biblical account of the events of creation occurred. The very fact that I do think is what gives me understanding that the current scientific theories are flawed. I think about how a scientist today could possibly have any assurance that what he can test today can honestly be extrapolated to the past. All we can do today is test that which we have today. Now, whether or not we are speaking the truth when we say, "So, this must be how it has always been, based on the tests we make today." requires a leap of faith that sets the wisdom of man above the wisdom of God.

You see, the God I know, can speak universes into existence by the mere power of His command. He can say, "Let there be light!", and instantly there is light from one end of the universe to the other. He doesn't have to wait for the light to get there. I mean, come on, we're speaking about a God who can raise dead people from the grave; a God who can cause the sun to go backwards; a God who can cause water to stand straight up without any physical support of any kind, and you don't think He can make light act outside of the 'laws' that we know today govern light? But, as the Scriptures warn, there are many people who serve many different gods.

BTW, just for the record, my 22 yo son is also a young earth creationist currently holding a 3.4 GPA @ Clemson university as a computer engineer. Trust me, he thinks!

God bless you.
In Christ, Ted

I'm sorry for coming across that way. I should have said that differently; indeed young earth creationists are more thoughtful than the general public in many areas. It is only those who specialize in areas of science that show the universe's age who would have to stop thinking about those areas to be YECs. I was a YEC until a year ago, when I understood dating methods enough that I could not reconcile them with a young earth, and saw the YEC position get backed into the corner of presuppositionalism.

I believe in God's power as thoroughly as you, but the issue is not what he can do, but what he did. He has told us one thing he cannot do: lie; and to create each layer of rock with proportionately more daughter isotopes as it contains more primitive fossils and occurs deeper would be lying about the age of the earth.

Upvote 0

Alive_Again

Resident Alien
Sep 16, 2010
✟12,991.00
Faith
Word of Faith
I'm so glad that there are places and testimonies like Kat Kerr who visited the place God made to demonstrate various things that have occurred in "time". God asked her what she wanted to see and it was "dinosaurs!".

She saw God do the earth and that it is millions of years old. It was here before the sun. The only way that is possible is that the earth was lit by the glory of God (just like Heaven).

As someone who is absolutely convinced in the truth of God's Word just like it's written, I knew it was correct, but I didn't have a clue how the stories of the earth and this would hash. It kills it for many "reasoning" non Christians.

I can look at the pile of rocks outside of work and see fossils in them and know, that just like the scientists say, Texas was covered by a sea of water millions of years ago. The fossils bear witness to that without taking away from the Word of God.

One thing that most people forget, and it "shines a light" on a further understanding of creation, is that God "stretched out the Heavens like a scroll". To me, that means all of the relative distances are in place, and the light shining from each system to us without it having to have existed "in time" as we know it.

We also know He's going to roll it up like a scroll too when the end of "time" as we would relate to it comes around.

It was also a relief to know that dinosaurs really exists (just like we know they do). They really were around millions of years ago and there really was an ice age. That actually confirms the Word, but we didn't know how that was until someone was allowed to see a "replay" in this place God made to show His children the "former things".

It had everything to do with the corrupt spiritual component on this earth, corrupting even the plants and animals. The ice age turned out to be a "judgment" and it left the enemy's spiritual forces in the heavenlies (2nd heaven).

It turns out that in the unseen realm there are edifices that we cannot see and all around us are "habitations and galleries" that exist in various locations to aid the spiritual component on this earth (2 kingdoms). We're down here almost clueless to everything God did and is doing, but He left us His Word, and for those who receive the revelation of that, even without full understanding are blessed indeed.

Upvote 0

Percivale

Sam
Site Supporter
Feb 13, 2012
Southern Indiana
✟145,496.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I'm so glad that there are places and testimonies like Kat Kerr who visited the place God made to demonstrate various things that have occurred in "time". God asked her what she wanted to see and it was "dinosaurs!".

She saw God do the earth and that it is millions of years old. It was here before the sun. The only way that is possible is that the earth was lit by the glory of God (just like Heaven).

As someone who is absolutely convinced in the truth of God's Word just like it's written, I knew it was correct, but I didn't have a clue how the stories of the earth and this would hash. It kills it for many "reasoning" non Christians.

I can look at the pile of rocks outside of work and see fossils in them and know, that just like the scientists say, Texas was covered by a sea of water millions of years ago. The fossils bear witness to that without taking away from the Word of God.

One thing that most people forget, and it "shines a light" on a further understanding of creation, is that God "stretched out the Heavens like a scroll". To me, that means all of the relative distances are in place, and the light shining from each system to us without it having to have existed "in time" as we know it.

We also know He's going to roll it up like a scroll too when the end of "time" as we would relate to it comes around.

It was also a relief to know that dinosaurs really exists (just like we know they do). They really were around millions of years ago and there really was an ice age. That actually confirms the Word, but we didn't know how that was until someone was allowed to see a "replay" in this place God made to show His children the "former things".

It had everything to do with the corrupt spiritual component on this earth, corrupting even the plants and animals. The ice age turned out to be a "judgment" and it left the enemy's spiritual forces in the heavenlies (2nd heaven).

It turns out that in the unseen realm there are edifices that we cannot see and all around us are "habitations and galleries" that exist in various locations to aid the spiritual component on this earth (2 kingdoms). We're down here almost clueless to everything God did and is doing, but He left us His Word, and for those who receive the revelation of that, even without full understanding are blessed indeed.

I believe it is possible for God to show people visions, but this one contradicts science and is not supported by the Bible either, and sounds like something thrown together by someone ignorant of both, based only on whatever rumors they may have heard. We have no indication that Katt Kerr is honest, mentally stable, or intelligent enough to understand or communicate such a vision even if God showed her one. I suggest you study the issues a lot more before posting any more promoting this.

Upvote 0

mark kennedy

Natura non facit saltum
Site Supporter
Mar 16, 2004
Indianapolis, IN
✟549,630.00
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
I'm sorry for coming across that way. I should have said that differently; indeed young earth creationists are more thoughtful than the general public in many areas. It is only those who specialize in areas of science that show the universe's age who would have to stop thinking about those areas to be YECs. I was a YEC until a year ago, when I understood dating methods enough that I could not reconcile them with a young earth, and saw the YEC position get backed into the corner of presuppositionalism.

It never created a problem for me, the age of the earth isn't emphasized in Scripture whereas the creation of life is given very strong emphasis. The dating techniques as I understand them measure a ratio of materials one being constant and the other being a variable. I was never all that concerned with that, human evolution has always been my thing, especially human brain evolution.

I believe in God's power as thoroughly as you, but the issue is not what he can do, but what he did. He has told us one thing he cannot do: lie; and to create each layer of rock with proportionately more daughter isotopes as it contains more primitive fossils and occurs deeper would be lying about the age of the earth.

Maybe, I'm not all that influenced by dating techniques, the life sciences have always proven a far richer area of study. I have never found anything to compare to how Genetics has grown in the last hundred years while Geology has remained relatively static. I do find the radiometric dating to be quite interesting in Archaeology, I just finished reading a discussion of the ashes being tested at Hazor. Very informative stuff but cosmology and astronomy have nothing to do with the narrative of Genesis except that the 'heavens and the earth' were created in the beginning.

That's what gets me about Darwinians, they want to distract you at verse 1 so maybe you won't read the rest of it I guess.

Grace and peace,
Mark

Upvote 0

mark kennedy

Natura non facit saltum
Site Supporter
Mar 16, 2004
Indianapolis, IN
✟549,630.00
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
I believe it is possible for God to show people visions, but this one contradicts science and is not supported by the Bible either, and sounds like something thrown together by someone ignorant of both, based only on whatever rumors they may have heard. We have no indication that Katt Kerr is honest, mentally stable, or intelligent enough to understand or communicate such a vision even if God showed her one. I suggest you study the issues a lot more before posting any more promoting this.

That is putting it mildly, I personally found Katt Kerr disturbing, it sounds like mysticism on a tangent.

Upvote 0

miamited

Ted
Site Supporter
Oct 4, 2010
Seneca SC
✟705,807.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I'm sorry for coming across that way. I should have said that differently; indeed young earth creationists are more thoughtful than the general public in many areas. I was a YEC until a year ago, when I understood dating methods enough that I could not reconcile them with a young earth, and saw the YEC position get backed into the corner of presuppositionalism.

Hi percivale,

Well, personally, I believe you are still misunderstanding and misusing the term 'to think'. You wrote: It is only those who specialize in areas of science that show the universe's age who would have to stop thinking about those areas to be YECs.

No, they would not have to stop thinking about those areas, what they have to stop thinking about, to reach their conclusions, is the power and glory of God. What they have to stop thinking about is what the word 'miracle' really means.

Let me give you a much more simple example to consider. In the writings of the exodus from Egypt we read:

...and the Israelites went through the sea on dry ground, with a wall of water on their right and on their left.

Of course, the first question to be answered is whether one believes this to be an accurate account of the event or do they rather think that it is just something the men wrote down to impress upon future generations the power of some god that they were trying to teach them about? Did it really not happen like that but it sure makes for exciting copy?

If one agrees that, yes, I believe the account of the Scriptures is accurate, then we can move on to the next issue that arises between what science teaches us is possible based on years and years and decades and decades and centuries and centuries of reliable scientific knowledge of the basic properties of water that have always and ever held true on the earth, and how all of this understanding of the natural properties of water on the earth would then make our belief completely 'ignorant' to those who understand the basic properties of water.

We know from years and years and years of knowledge about water that there is absolutely, positively no way that water will 'stand' as a wall without some help to support it. It's just absolutely impossible based on the natural laws of water. There is not a scientist or engineer in all of the world who can make such a thing happen. Never has been throughout the ages of critical thinking of man. There are no examples one can google that show where someone has ever been able to make water stand even as a two foot high wall unaided. You can build a brick wall and make water stand behind it supported by the brick wall. You can lay out a sheet of glass or plastic and make water stand behind it as a wall, but you cannot take plain old water and cause it to stand all by itself as a wall.

And if we conjure an image of the breadth of the sea and the number of people who crossed from Egypt, it would have to have stood for at least several hours. We have an account of several thousand Hebrews and then the Egyptian soldiers who chased in after them, who surely must have been at some length behind them in order to have not caught up with them. Many of the soldiers were on chariots and the ground was dry and so if they had only been 50 feet behind them they would have quickly overtaken and stopped at least the last few hundred of the bunch. Further if they had made it to the Hebrews, then when God closed the water back up, the Hebrews would have drowned with the soldiers. The Scriptures seem fairly clear that none of the soldiers made it through but all of the Hebrews did.

Now, here's what one must understand in this more simple explanation of the power of God. When God performs a miracle, all of the natural properties and scientific proofs of what the physical elements of this earth can do or can tell us about what God does are absolutely useless. So yes, science can tell us that today light travels at a given speed, but it cannot, with any assurance tell us that when God first made the light by the miracle of His working with the light, that the light was in fact beholden to the principles and properties of what we now know about the speed at which light travels.

Yes, scientists can look at rocks and trees and geologic formations of the earth and tell us what those things are made up of and how we can today tell how old a rock is because of the natural property of some element that is contained within it, but it cannot tell us with any assurance other than, "Well, as far as we know this is how it has always been", that when God created the rocks they weren't immediately made with said properties already showing these same signs of aging.

To answer that, let's look at another example. God said that He created the first man Adam from the dust of the ground. Again, we must determine whether this account of Adam is a true and accurate account of how God created the first man or is it also some conveniently contrived story by ignorant man to explain the first man who really was some evolved life form. Did God actually make the first man out of the dust of the ground or was the first man really some descendant of some previously existing creature?

If we agree that, yes, God did make the first man with His own hands out of the dust of the ground as the Scriptures tell us, then let's look at how impossible that is if we assume that science has all the answers for us.

We know today and you will find it in every medical and scientific journal that the only reason that any given man or woman exists on the earth today is that two people had a good time, assuming of course that it wasn't rape. That at one time any man or woman living on the earth today was somewhere between 14 and 20 inches long and had little itty bitty hands and feet and most often only a downy covering of hair on its head. We know that that man or woman was fed by either bottle or breast for a few months and then went on to more solid food as its tiny fingers and toes and bones and organs grew and developed into a full size human being. We know this and there is absolutely not a single shred of scientific evidence that anyone can point to that would show some man or woman can just appear on the earth as a fully grown human being.

Yet the Scriptures account that Adam was made as a fully mature human being. Able to walk and talk and care for himself from day one of his existence upon the earth. Now, if God can create the first man with all the appearances that he has already been alive for some 18-25 years on the day that he was manufactured, why can't He make a rock with all appearances that it is much older than its manufacture date?

So, when a scientist shows me a rock and points to some element in that rock and says to me, "See here, this particle here, it has a half life of so many years or it takes so many years for it to appear as it does in this rock." My first question is, "Ok, can you show me that a rock that God created on day one would not have had those same elements or particles looking just like these? Just as with light, I believe that God can make light instantly spread from one end of the universe to the other, and that after He created it, the light to follow would travel as we know light to travel. That He can create rocks with all the particles and elements in them looking like they look to us today as far as these measurable elements, and yet that rock didn't exist yesterday. He did it with Adam, why can't He do it with a rock?

Now here is what I believe is the result of our believing the scientific over the godly. In the book of the Revelation of Jesus Christ we are told of this number '666'. Many translations translate this passage as the number of 'a' man, but I firmly believe the correct translation is number of man. It speaks of a mark on the hand or forehead. When we place the wisdom of man over the wisdom of God, then we become 666 and we work (hand) and think (forehead) like the beast. We become the pawns of the beast. We believe the wisdom of man over the wisdom of God which makes us merely a part of the number of man. We work with our hands and think with our heads with the wisdom of man over the wisdom of God.

I believe in a God who has the power, glory, wisdom and knowledge to say, "Let the earth exist!", and instantly the earth appears in the vast expanse of a limitless 'space' of black, inky nothingness. That if a scientist with all of his poking and prodding tools had existed on the day after the earth was commanded to exist and then after the dry ground appeared, he could have picked up a rock from the surface of the earth and run all his tests and come up with exactly the same evidence that he finds today to explain that the earth is millions or billions of years old. That those first rocks, if we split them open, would have had the same polonium halos and various other elements and structures in them that we see today that cause man to believe that a rock is old.

Now, you have said that such a thing makes God a liar. No it doesn't! God has told you what He did and when He did it. Man is the liar because he is doing just exactly what Paul warned us of doing. Is God a liar because He made Adam as a fully formed man even though any scientist will tell you that his initial existence as such is utterly and completely impossible based on absolutely every shred of scientific knowledge that man has. Is God a liar because Adam stood 5 or 6 feet tall on the day that he was created even though all scientific testing of his body, based on the knowledge of the human body that we know today, and any scientist would sign affidavit after affidavit that the man Adam absolutely must be at least 20 years old or so? Does that make God a liar or man? Paul wrote to the believers in Colosse:

See to it that no one takes you captive through hollow and deceptive philosophy, which depends on human tradition and the basic principles of this world rather than on Christ.

Here Paul is warning us not to be taken in by hollow and deceptive knowledge (that's what philosophy is) that depends on either human tradition or the basic principles of this world. The basic principles of this world is just exactly what every scientist gives of his life's work to gain knowledge of.

But I do allow that each man must decide for himself what is the truth. The truth of God or the truth of man.

And, for your information and understanding, I have thought this through very, very carefully and diligently. So, keep your 'YECs are just people who don't think' derogatory remarks to yourself. YECs are just people who believe God over man.

God bless you.
In Christ, Ted

Upvote 0

miamited

Ted
Site Supporter
Oct 4, 2010
Seneca SC
✟705,807.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Hi percivale,

Now, if you will allow me, let me explain what my understanding leads me to believe about God and His purpose in creating this realm.

God created this realm in 6 simple evening and morning days pretty much just like we have today. He created the whole of the universe as a place where man can exist for centuries. He created a realm, an existence if you will, where man can live and breath and tell times and seasons for thousands upon thousands of years. And based on what exactly God says about the eternal existence being on the earth, He created the earth to exist forever and ever and evermore.

He created this realm as a place for man to live and and He is sovereign over all that He created as far as the physical elements of the universe. This is why He can make the sun to actually go backwards in the sky if He so chooses to display His power and glory in that purpose. He created it all as a place where a creature that He also created and called man could live and praise and worship and be His people. But, man rebelled. He, much like you, didn't want to believe God. God told Adam that if he ate of the tree in the garden he would surely die, the serpent said no he wouldn't and Adam chose to believe the serpent. Yes, this was done through Eve.

But God loved the man that He had created and through the calling of Abraham laid out a plan whereby man, who had rebelled against His authority, if he would come back to his senses and repent of his sin against God could still gain what God had to offer - eternal life with Him. He worked through Abraham and his descendants to build a nation of people who would write down all that He wanted us to know about Him and who He is and all that He has done that we might have this life that we live. He then culminated that part of His plan with the final testimony to us through His Son and then had His Son to take the penalty for our sin. But, that was not the end of the overarching plan.

The days that we are living out today are the days of God's patience. He has done everything that needs to be done for man to know the truth and choose to accept or reject it. In the end God will judge all men, and those who have accepted His truth and established His truth as the righteous way to live this life, will be granted eternal life with Him.

We live in a created realm. A realm of physical stars and planets and asteroids and comets and trees and grass and animals of all sorts, but it was all created by a powerful and wise God to attain His purpose. And what is that purpose you might ask? Well, as I understand the Scriptures, the reason that God created this realm; the reason that God made the first man; the reason that He called Abraham and through his descendants brought to us the Scriptures and His one and only Son is that one day those who have believed God will hear Him say to them:

"Now the dwelling of God is with men, and he will live with them. They will be his people, and God himself will be with them and be their God."

He created this realm of life in which we live for the sole purpose of providing man a place to live and to one day harvest from all the peoples of the earth a body of faithful people who will love Him and desire to be with Him and to believe Him for all eternity. Those people will have trusted and believed God while living upon the earth in all that He has done in creating this realm and in offering His Son as a worthy sacrifice for their sin. They will then go to an eternal existence of continuing to do just that. Believing God. Loving God. Sharing and enjoying His presence and power and love for all eternity.

God bless you.
In Christ, Ted

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Percivale

Sam
Site Supporter
Feb 13, 2012
Southern Indiana
✟145,496.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
God created this realm in 6 simple evening and morning days pretty much just like we have today.
This is the only sentence in your explanation I disagree with. It's not a matter of believing God or man, but which men. God spoke to prophets in various ways and times, and he also created the universe in such a way that men can learn truths from it. The question is whether to believe 90 % of scientists of the last 300 years, half of whom were Christians, or to believe fundamentalist Bible interpreters, the councils of the third century that decided the canon, the line of manuscript copyists, and/or Moses himself. It is worthy of debate which is right, but at least address the issue instead of saying it is simply God vs. men.
Would God create Adam with scars, a bump where it looked like his arm had broken and healed, freckles like sunburn causes, false memories, etc? I think not. To do a miracle and create something that usually takes longer is totally consistent with God's character (though from what we know of him, for instance his means of building the church, he seems to prefer gradual growth), but to hide the evidence of the miracle and leave all the signs of long processes would be dishonest. If it was just light coming from distant stars, not things like supernovae and black holes eating starts, and just rocks in the ground, not layers with fossils and consistent signs of age, I would be a young earth creationist.

Upvote 0

miamited

Ted
Site Supporter
Oct 4, 2010
Seneca SC
✟705,807.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
This is the only sentence in your explanation I disagree with. It's not a matter of believing God or man, but which men.

Hi percivale,

Well, God said He created this realm in 6 days and each of the days consisted of an evening and a morning. On day 6 He created Adam and then up until the rise of Moses we have a fairly simple process of adding the years to get to the age of mankind from Adam to Moses. From there it gets a bit tougher to find the references to years, but fortunately extrabiblical history takes over pretty well from there.

Secondly, the Jews, who have always been God's people through whom He delivered His Scriptures and the truth about Him, calculate the years from creation when numbering their years. Right now their count stands about 5,900. There is some disagreement in this count between various Jewish calandar systems, but none more than 200 years out of sync with this number.

You say it's not a matter of believing God or believing man, but I can't find any evidence in the Scriptures that would tell us that the creation is more than 10,000 years old. As far as I can tell, the only reason it is even believed in the church is because wise and learned men tell us that it is not so and we so want to be seen as wise and learned men like them because if we don't seem like wise and learned men like them, then we have people who say to us, "If you believe the earth to be only 6,000 years old then you just aren't thinking." We are mocked and ridiculed for such simple faith and none of likes to be among that group. It's just like the weird kid in school. You couldn't be his friend without other kids making derogatory remarks and kidding and teasing and mocking such friendship. So, in order to comfortable with ourselves and be with the 'cool' kids, we also just go along mocking and ridiculing the weird kid because it makes us part of the majority of the kids and not some stand out putting ourselves out there to be taunted and teased.

It has been shown that college professors who express such an understanding of the creation as the Scriptures seem to simply explain are passed over and ridiculed by their peers. "Oh, he's one of those stupid young earthers", is often heard. Even here among the fellowship of supposed believers, young earthers are regularly denigrated for being blind and ignorant. Who willingly wants to take that kind of treatment when all it takes is to look at the evidence that is presented and say, "Yea, I agree with you. The natural properties of the earth do seem to establish that." But those explanations of the natural properties of the earth come from men and not from God.

However, each one must establish in his own heart what he believes to be the truth.

God bless you.
In Christ, Ted

Upvote 0

Percivale

Sam
Site Supporter
Feb 13, 2012
Southern Indiana
✟145,496.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Hi percivale,

Well, God said He created this realm in 6 days and each of the days consisted of an evening and a morning. On day 6 He created Adam and then up until the rise of Moses we have a fairly simple process of adding the years to get to the age of mankind from Adam to Moses. From there it gets a bit tougher to find the references to years, but fortunately extrabiblical history takes over pretty well from there.

Secondly, the Jews, who have always been God's people through whom He delivered His Scriptures and the truth about Him, calculate the years from creation when numbering their years. Right now their count stands about 5,900. There is some disagreement in this count between various Jewish calandar systems, but none more than 200 years out of sync with this number.

You say it's not a matter of believing God or believing man, but I can't find any evidence in the Scriptures that would tell us that the creation is more than 10,000 years old. As far as I can tell, the only reason it is even believed in the church is because wise and learned men tell us that it is not so and we so want to be seen as wise and learned men like them because if we don't seem like wise and learned men like them, then we have people who say to us, "If you believe the earth to be only 6,000 years old then you just aren't thinking." We are mocked and ridiculed for such simple faith and none of likes to be among that group. It's just like the weird kid in school. You couldn't be his friend without other kids making derogatory remarks and kidding and teasing and mocking such friendship. So, in order to comfortable with ourselves and be with the 'cool' kids, we also just go along mocking and ridiculing the weird kid because it makes us part of the majority of the kids and not some stand out putting ourselves out there to be taunted and teased.

It has been shown that college professors who express such an understanding of the creation as the Scriptures seem to simply explain are passed over and ridiculed by their peers. "Oh, he's one of those stupid young earthers", is often heard. Even here among the fellowship of supposed believers, young earthers are regularly denigrated for being blind and ignorant. Who willingly wants to take that kind of treatment when all it takes is to look at the evidence that is presented and say, "Yea, I agree with you. The natural properties of the earth do seem to establish that." But those explanations of the natural properties of the earth come from men and not from God.

However, each one must establish in his own heart what he believes to be the truth.

God bless you.
In Christ, Ted

There have been Christians throughout church history who have understood the creation passage figuratively. Allegories can use prose and yet not be literally true, instead true in another way. Israel is not literally a girl who was abandoned in the wilderness, but that what Ezekiel says in straightforward language, but from what we know of history we know it's an allegory. It is possible, though I grant it seems the less likely interpretation, that this is the case with the Genesis accounts too. I believe we should use all available sources of truth in understanding what the Bible means.

I see too that the belief that the Bible=the word of God is so basic to your thinking that you can't seem to hear or answer the possibility that there could be words in the Bible that were not spoken by God. I don't think Jesus shared your view entirely. On the divorce issue, he said Moses allowed it, but it was not so from the beginning, as if that part of the Bible is authored by Moses rather than God. Likewise he dispensed with dietary laws. God can inspire a person without making that person infallible; for instance Peter was full of the Holy Spirit, yet made mistakes like eating with Gentiles only when Jews were not present.

Upvote 0

mark kennedy

Natura non facit saltum
Site Supporter
Mar 16, 2004
Indianapolis, IN
✟549,630.00
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
There have been Christians throughout church history who have understood the creation passage figuratively. Allegories can use prose and yet not be literally true, instead true in another way. Israel is not literally a girl who was abandoned in the wilderness, but that what Ezekiel says in straightforward language, but from what we know of history we know it's an allegory. It is possible, though I grant it seems the less likely interpretation, that this is the case with the Genesis accounts too. I believe we should use all available sources of truth in understanding what the Bible means.

Genesis has always been understood as an historical narrative, an allegorical interpretation is unwarranted from the text. How literally you should take the length of days is sometimes questioned but there is no credible exposition of Genesis 1 that gives you an allegory. There is no figurative language and in an historical narrative the literal interpretation is always preferred. Some have suggested an allegorical interpretation but there is no such thing as a figurative miracle creation, the notion is absurd.

I see too that the belief that the Bible=the word of God is so basic to your thinking that you can't seem to hear or answer the possibility that there could be words in the Bible that were not spoken by God. I don't think Jesus shared your view entirely. On the divorce issue, he said Moses allowed it, but it was not so from the beginning, as if that part of the Bible is authored by Moses rather than God. Likewise he dispensed with dietary laws. God can inspire a person without making that person infallible; for instance Peter was full of the Holy Spirit, yet made mistakes like eating with Gentiles only when Jews were not present.

The Bible is the word of God = canon, 'rule or standard for life'. We are not talking about divorce issues or dietary laws, the issue is the nature of God's creation as told in Genesis and witnessed to in the New Testament. You may not know or even care what the 'canon of Scripture' actually means but it doesn't fall into disrepute because you don't understand it.

Have a nice day :)
Mark

Upvote 0

SkyWriting

The Librarian
Site Supporter
Jan 10, 2010
Milwaukee
✟410,948.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
This is the only sentence in your explanation I disagree with. It's not a matter of believing God or man, but which men. God spoke to prophets in various ways and times, and he also created the universe in such a way that men can learn truths from it.

But it's not as if some miracles or 'Acts of God" in the Bible are testable.
None of them are testable by scientists today.
Can we check and see if the read sea parted?
Can we check to see if lame people walked?
Can we find the loaves and fish that fed 1000"s?

Nope. Plus science knows nothing of history.
Only what it can repeat. And that does not prove anything either.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

mark kennedy

Natura non facit saltum
Site Supporter
Mar 16, 2004
Indianapolis, IN
✟549,630.00
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
But it's not as if some miracles or 'Acts of God" in the Bible are testable.
None of them are testable by scientists today.
Can we check and see if the read sea parted?
Can we check to see if lame people walked?
Can we find the loaves and fish that fed 1000"s?

Nope. Plus science knows nothing of history.
Only what it can repeat. And that does not prove anything either.

I've actually found it very useful, radiometric dating of archaeology sites for instance. Generally history is mapped from what is left behind, especially what they wrote down. The evidential approach can be tedious and labor intensive but there are times there is an overlap. What you don't want to forget is that the Scriptures are evidence, their credibility is predicated on the miracles described in many places. I sometimes get tired of the Scriptures being treated as a secondary source, they stack up as the best preserved documents from history.

Grace and peace,
Mark

Upvote 0

miamited

Ted
Site Supporter
Oct 4, 2010
Seneca SC
✟705,807.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
There have been Christians throughout church history who have understood the creation passage figuratively.

He percivale,

Sure, there have been christians throughout the church age who are pretenders. Nearly all of the new covenant writers touch on that truth. Peter writes of those who are wolves among the sheep. Paul writes that sometimes disputes among the church separate those who are born again believers from those who are not. I think it a rather wasted argument to try and 'prove' something based merely on the fact that others may have believed such things in light of these clear warnings from the first apostles.

What the born again believer seeks to know is the truth. Whether or not there was or is a period of history that others among us may have believed this or that isn't really a good indicator of 'truth'. Man's heart is wicked, who can know it. If we base our understanding of truth on just what some men may have believed at some point, we may well end up drinking the Kool-aid in Guyana.

God bless you.
In Christ, Ted

Upvote 0

Percivale

Sam
Site Supporter
Feb 13, 2012
Southern Indiana
✟145,496.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Ted, there is something uncharitable about saying whoever disagrees with your interpretation of scripture is a pretender or wolf. My point was simply that since some people interpreted it differently than you before modern science came along, modern science can't be the only reason people ever interpret it differently.

Mark, I was just throwing out allegory as a possibility, and what I meant by it is simply taking the 6 days as figurative for eras, and, say, taking God's making animals and Adam 'out of the ground' (gen 2) as figuring using preexisting creatures as material from which to create them.

Upvote 0

miamited

Ted
Site Supporter
Oct 4, 2010
Seneca SC
✟705,807.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Ted, there is something uncharitable about saying whoever disagrees with your interpretation of scripture is a pretender or wolf. My point was simply that since some people interpreted it differently than you before modern science came along, modern science can't be the only reason people ever interpret it differently.

Mark, I was just throwing out allegory as a possibility, and what I meant by it is simply taking the 6 days as figurative for eras, and, say, taking God's making animals and Adam 'out of the ground' (gen 2) as figuring using preexisting creatures as material from which to create them.

Hi percivale,

It was Peter that made the comment about wolves among us, so you can lay on me a lack of charity for using the word 'pretenders', but you'll have to take the rest of your argument to Peter and Paul for an explanation of their lack of charity. Yes, I absolutely agree that the natural man has never understood the power and glory, majesty and wisdom, love and mercy of God since the beginning. There have always been those who twisted God into some false image and even those who have made other gods into false images. It has been the base problem of man that God has worked to correct with the writing of His Scriptures and the testimony of His Son. But, absolutely, few have found it. The road is narrow and few there be that find it. I believe that this 'few' is less than those who walk about the earth calling themselves christians.

Take Jesus words to his disciples. He warned of a day coming when many would stand before him and cry out, 'Lord. Lord. Did we not prophecy in your name and in your name drive out demons?' But Jesus says that he is going to turn to them and say that he never knew them. Now, one would have to be fairly simple to not understand that these people claiming to have driven out demons in the name of Jesus and performed great miracles in the name of Jesus, were accounted as christians among men on the earth. After all, who does such things in the name of Jesus that does not consider themselves a christian?

God bless you.
In Christ, Ted

Last edited:
Upvote 0

mark kennedy

Natura non facit saltum
Site Supporter
Mar 16, 2004
Indianapolis, IN
✟549,630.00
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat

Because I've read Origin and Augustine and, while they didn't want you to go too far, they took Adam literally. Whether or not day means day, well...that's another matter. Science has nothing to do with this, it never did. People use science for a pretense for naturalistic assumptions, you are defending naturalism whether you call it that or not. It's not the same thing as science no matter how hard you try to equivocate the two and it's a categorical rejection of miracles.

That would be fine if the text actually said anything like that. The language of Genesis 1 has some of the strongest words in Scripture, sometimes spoken in absolute terms. That is not the setting you start talking in figurative language or allegories.

Upvote 0