Why doesn't God just tell us which denomination is right?

Unofficial Reverand Alex

Pray in silence...God speaks softly
Site Supporter
Dec 22, 2017
The Mystical Lands of Rural Indiana
Visit site
✟526,763.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Constitution
Seems like it would help us out a lot if God told everybody, "The Calvinists are right" (Or whichever denomination).

So many false teachings would be disproven in an instant, everybody would know which Church best aligns with God & His word...

So why not?

Call me Nic

Site Supporter
Dec 27, 2017
✟481,735.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Some denominations have some things right that others don't. The foundation is Jesus Christ, and if a man believes that he is the Son of God, then that is all that is necessary for him to be saved - all the other stuff comes about from the disputing of man. I guarantee that even if God proclaimed the "most-correct" denomination, there would still be infighting amongst Christianity. We're people, arguing is what we do best.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

archer75

Site Supporter
Nov 16, 2016
USA
✟256,152.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
If you're a Christian, you already believe that God "told us" what was what. We've spent a long time twisting it to meet our various desires, as well as genuinely getting confused. So it goes.

Upvote 0

Darkhorse

just horsing around
Aug 10, 2005
mid-Atlantic
Visit site
✟288,141.00
Country
United States
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
So many false teachings would be disproven in an instant, everybody would know which Church best aligns with God & His word...

So why not?

Because NONE of them do! None of them are!

We will never get it right. Only God gets it right.

Upvote 0

Ken Rank

Site Supporter
Jan 12, 2014
Winchester, KENtucky
✟308,985.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Seems like it would help us out a lot if God told everybody, "The Calvinists are right" (Or whichever denomination).

So why not?
Because perhaps when it comes to the body of believers, His family... it isn't as much doctrine as we think it is, and more about our behavior especially as related to one another?

In the end, He will bring us together and any differences we have today will cease to exist.

Upvote 0

Christfan

Nov 13, 2009
✟26,376.00
Faith
Christian
The Bible already lays out whats right. The problem is sin nature that obscures it. [Staff edit]. There are more complex doctrine, but it is still laid out just requiring further study such as original language, setting, etc.. to derive the correct interpretation.

To use Calvinism as an example to how personal bias plays a part. I have seen numerous anti-calvinists say Calvinist God is satan and that they rather go to hell then worship such a God.

Last edited by a moderator:
Upvote 0

Anguspure

Kaitiaki Peacemakers NZ
Site Supporter
Jun 28, 2011
New Zealand
✟125,935.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single

So why not?
But through the Apostle He did, and does:

I appeal to you, brothers and sisters, in the name of our Lord Jesus Christ, that all of you agree with one another in what you say and that there be no divisions among you, but that you be perfectly united in mind and thought. My brothers and sisters, some from Chloe’s household have informed me that there are quarrels among you. What I mean is this: One of you says, “I follow Paul”; another, “I follow Apollos”; another, “I follow Cephas ”; still another, “I follow Christ.”

Is Christ divided? Was Paul crucified for you? Were you baptized in the name of Paul? I thank God that I did not baptize any of you except Crispus and Gaius, so no one can say that you were baptized in my name. (Yes, I also baptized the household of Stephanas; beyond that, I don’t remember if I baptized anyone else.) For Christ did not send me to baptize, but to preach the gospel—not with wisdom and eloquence, lest the cross of Christ be emptied of its power.....(1 Corinthians 1)

Therefore, as it is written: “Let the one who boasts boast in the Lord.”

Brothers and sisters, I could not address you as people who live by the Spirit but as people who are still worldly—mere infants in Christ. I gave you milk, not solid food, for you were not yet ready for it. Indeed, you are still not ready. You are still worldly. For since there is jealousy and quarreling among you, are you not worldly? Are you not acting like mere humans? For when one says, “I follow Paul,” and another, “I follow Apollos,” are you not mere human beings?

Don’t you know that you yourselves are God’s temple and that God’s Spirit dwells in your midst? If anyone destroys God’s temple, God will destroy that person; for God’s temple is sacred, and you together are that temple.

Do not deceive yourselves. If any of you think you are wise by the standards of this age, you should become “fools” so that you may become wise. For the wisdom of this world is foolishness in God’s sight. As it is written: “He catches the wise in their craftiness” ; and again, “The Lord knows that the thoughts of the wise are futile.” So then, no more boasting about human leaders! All things are yours, whether Paul or Apollos or Cephas or the world or life or death or the present or the future—all are yours, and you are of Christ, and Christ is of God. (1 Corinthians 3)

Upvote 0

Anguspure

Kaitiaki Peacemakers NZ
Site Supporter
Jun 28, 2011
New Zealand
✟125,935.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Some denominations have some things right that others don't. The foundation is Jesus Christ, and if a man believe that he is the Son of God, then that is all that is necessary for him to be saved - all the other stuff comes about from the disputing of man. I guarantee that even if God proclaimed the "most-correct" denomination, there would still be infighting amongst Christianity. We're people, arguing is what we do best.
It seems to be in our genes "ask two Jews, you'll get three opinions."
The more important thing is that we argue, debate and disagree in a manner that preserves unity in Christ.

• Agree
Reactions: Call me Nic
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

St_Worm2

Simul Justus et Peccator
Site Supporter
Jan 28, 2002
✟2,929,619.00
Country
United States
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married

So why not?
Hi Alex, I'm convinced that the Lord has told us all that we need to know to come to Him and be saved, as well to live this life in a way that is both pleasing and glorifying to Him .. e.g. Deuteronomy 29:29, Joshua 1:8, Psalm 1:1-3, 2 Timothy 3:16-17. I am also convinced that there are things which we either cannot truly know/understand (the Trinity, for instance), and other things that He has chosen not to fully reveal to us, at least not at this time, for our own good.

The fact that there are differences between us certainly helps keep a lid on the kind of arrogance that comes from 'thinking' that we have all the answers, and by doing so, also helps to keep our focus and dependency where it needs to be, on Him (which I believe is the most important thing of all).

I also believe that one of the positives that the various denominations/churches bring involves one of the big reasons that we formed them to begin with .. emphasis. IOW, what one church or denomination emphasizes about God/sees as most important about and the faith is tempered by the things of God/parts of the faith that a different denomination/church believes is most important (and therefore chooses to emphasize). God is bigger than any one church or denomination's particular "emphasis" (which is a fact that I believe could easily be lost over time if there were no differences among us :preach:).

Just my 2 cents anyway :)

Yours and His,
David
p.s. - as a perfect Parent, everything that God causes or allows to happen to those of us who are His is always for our good, even though it may not seem like it is at the time ;) (because the very same One/Abba who saved us in the first place, has also promised to continue His mighty work in us by sanctifying us/growing us up in Christlikeness, as well seeing us safely through this life to be with Him in Glory .. e.g. John 5:24, Philippians 1:6, 2:13, John 6:37-40, 10:27-28, Hebrews 7:25, 1 John 5:13).

quote-instead-of-a-river-god-often-gives-us-a-brook-which-may-be-running-today-and-dried-up-arthur-w-pink-81-85-53.jpg

Last edited:
Upvote 0

dreadnought

Lip service isn't really service.
Site Supporter
Aug 4, 2012
Reno, Nevada
✟313,356.00
Country
United States
Faith
United Methodist
Marital Status
Celibate

So why not?
I don't know of any perfect denominations, and if there were any, maybe the Lord would like you to figure it out on your own.

Upvote 0

Ignatius the Kiwi

Dissident
Mar 2, 2013
✟290,975.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
We could presume God said as much when Christ established the Church with his Apostles and those under them. Such a Church did not cease to exist and there are only are not many claimants to the idea that they are succeed the Apostolic foundation (Catholic, Orthodox, Coptic and Nestorian).

Upvote 0

Disciple of Jesus
Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
✟146,199.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single

So why not?

We have the Bible, it should be enough. All dominations are less than Bible, the teachings of Jesus. If you really want to be disciple of Jesus, remain in his words, you don’t need dominations then.

Jesus therefore said to those Jews who had believed him, "If you remain in my word, then you are truly my disciples. You will know the truth, and the truth will make you free."
John 8:31-32

For disciples of Jesus (“Christian”), Jesus should be the high priest and king, not earthly leaders.

Upvote 0

Ignatius the Kiwi

Dissident
Mar 2, 2013
✟290,975.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
We have the Bible, it should be enough. All dominations are less than Bible, the teachings of Jesus. If you really want to be disciple of Jesus, remain in his words, you don’t need dominations then.

Jesus therefore said to those Jews who had believed him, "If you remain in my word, then you are truly my disciples. You will know the truth, and the truth will make you free."
John 8:31-32

For disciples of Jesus (“Christian”), Jesus should be the high priest and king, not earthly leaders.

By earthly leaders do you also mean the Apostles when they were around? Was communion merely an option among many to follow?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

A_Thinker

Site Supporter
Apr 23, 2004
Midwest
✟953,784.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

So why not?

God is more interested in us LOVING ONE ANOTHER, ... despite disagreements in doctrine.

"A new commandment I give to you ... that you LOVE ONE ANOTHER as I have loved you. By this will everyone know that you are my disciples, if you have LOVE for one another." John 13:34-35

I'm convinced that, although we think perfect doctrine would solve our issues, it would not. We would still deal with jealousy, hatred, pride, strife, hypocrisy, abuse, etc. We must learn to love the OTHER (i.e. one another). This is what God did ... LOVED US when we were still enemies to Him.

Romans 5:8 But God demonstrates his own love for us in this: While we were still sinners, Christ died for us.

We want to believe that if we all agreed on doctrine, ... we would be MORE LOVING to one another, ... but I don't think that's true.

We must learn to be like little children, who LOVE one another DESPITE the DIFFERENCES ... that they don't seem to see ...

Upvote 0

Chinchilla

May 31, 2018
Warsaw
✟30,919.00
Country
Poland
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private

So why not?

He told us . There is no such thing like denominations . You either are Christian or not that means you belong to Body of Christ or not .

Even Jesus himself wrote in Revelation to 7 Churches , they were in different place but still Church .

Church is people , not building . Jesus told to Jews " destroy that temple and I will rise it up third day " . He was not speaking of building but of his Body .

Also if you look for perfect people to make perfect Church then it will never happen because such do not exist . Best way is to take Word of God and check like Barean if things spoken in that Church are like in the Bible . Most important issue is how to get to heaven , other things matter less .

Upvote 0

PaulCyp1

Site Supporter
Mar 4, 2018
Massachusetts
✟239,255.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
No denomination is right. A denomination by definition is a body that broke away from what it was one part of. Jesus Christ founded ONE Church. It was not a denomination. It never broke away from anything else. It was created new. Jesus promised the leadership of that ONE Church "The Holy Spirit will guide you into ALL truth", and "Whatsoever you bind upon Earth is bound in heaven", and "He who hears you hears Me". His will for that Church was ands still is "that they all may be ONE, and as I and my heavenly Father are ONE". And all Christians were members of that ONE Church for the next 1,000 years, at which point the Orthodox churches broke away from God's Church. Things didn't really go crazy until another 500 years passed, at which Point one renegade Catholic priest, Martin Luther, thought he could do a better job of founding a church than Jesus Christ had done. He broke away from God's Church, rejecting many of its teachings. Predictably, some of his followers soon disagreed with some of his teaching, and broke away forming additional denominations. Today there are more than 6,000 Protestant denominations, each one teaching something different, but all claiming to teach the truth because they got there material "right out of the Bible". But truth cannot conflict with truth, so all they have demonstrated is their inability to interpret the Bible. 2,000 years after Jesus founded His Church, that ONE Church remains ONE in belief, ONE in teaching, ONE in biblical understanding, ONE in worship throughout the world, just as it's founder intended. You just can't beat God's plan.

Upvote 0