Why doesn't God bless daily reading of scripture for me?

Jamdoc

Watching and Praying Always
Oct 22, 2019
Helena
✟207,423.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Single
So the first time I read the bible, it was eye opening, and I felt blessed. but the second.. and third times.. and 4th time going cover to cover before I was just frustrated and stopped any kind of formulaic daily bible reading... I didn't feel blessed, I didn't come to new understandings, it just felt like retreading the same ground again. I pray, I ask for God's wisdom so I don't lean on my own understanding.. I pray to be led by God, where does HE want me to read.. but nothing came, and so I did the same ole.. pick up from where I left off, or what I thought would be a good place. I tried rote things like "no bible no breakfast" because of things I saw by Ray Comfort for instance, it made sense right? Paul Washer "read your bible daily or die" etc It just .. wasn't blessed, like God was letting me fumble in the dark alone.

Or even when I have a question and I want God to answer it.. I desire to get guidance, where would scripture be that answered my question... but no guidance.

But when someone else has a question....
I don't even need to pray for Wisdom... I get prompted, to go to passages of scripture that sometimes.. I don't even remember what they were about or if I do think I know what they were about, I can't fathom how they will help me answer this person's question, or engage in this debate that I'm having, but I get prompted, I get led, I get connected with passages I didn't even know were connected or referred to each other. It's like I'm being taught by someone and all I can do is learn, go where He tells me to go, and have my eyes opened, learn what He teaches in His word. I feel blessed at those times, connection that I seldomly ever experience aside from those times. It's the only times where I feel like God is really with me.

why doesn't He bless what I try to do to know Him on my own?
Why don't my own questions result in being taught like this? He just doesn't seem to honor anything I do that is religious in nature or habit or lifestyle. He only honors it if He leads and I yield, but why doesn't He lead me just all the time? Are my questions no good? Is it not good of me to seek Him early?

YeshuaFollower

Veritas vos liberabit
Dec 6, 2022
eastern townships, Quebec
✟17,234.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
So the first time I read the bible, it was eye opening, and I felt blessed. but the second.. and third times.. and 4th time going cover to cover before I was just frustrated and stopped any kind of formulaic daily bible reading... I didn't feel blessed, I didn't come to new understandings, it just felt like retreading the same ground again. I pray, I ask for God's wisdom so I don't lean on my own understanding.. I pray to be led by God, where does HE want me to read.. but nothing came, and so I did the same ole.. pick up from where I left off, or what I thought would be a good place. I tried rote things like "no bible no breakfast" because of things I saw by Ray Comfort for instance, it made sense right? Paul Washer "read your bible daily or die" etc It just .. wasn't blessed, like God was letting me fumble in the dark alone.

Or even when I have a question and I want God to answer it.. I desire to get guidance, where would scripture be that answered my question... but no guidance.

I don't even need to pray for Wisdom... I get prompted, to go to passages of scripture that sometimes.. I don't even remember what they were about or if I do think I know what they were about, I can't fathom how they will help me answer this person's question, or engage in this debate that I'm having, but I get prompted, I get led, I get connected with passages I didn't even know were connected or referred to each other. It's like I'm being taught by someone and all I can do is learn, go where He tells me to go, and have my eyes opened, learn what He teaches in His word. I feel blessed at those times, connection that I seldomly ever experience aside from those times. It's the only times where I feel like God is really with me. but

Why don't my own questions result in being taught like this? He just doesn't seem to honor anything I do that is religious in nature or habit or lifestyle. He only honors it if He leads and I yield, but why doesn't He lead me just all the time? Are my questions no good? Is it not good of me to seek Him early?
I am going to guess but perhaps you have beliefs that you do not follow scripture? are you certain you follow the words of God over the words of men? Please think carefully and verify al l things. I do not know you of course but i think it might be it, you could be following a doctrine that you think is right but does not correspond with the truth. Simply saying, please do not be offended. Like I said We do not know one another.

Introspection, I did that and I see things in another way that now corresponds to scripture. Also I learned that doing good works is a blessing and is necessary.

Blessings,

JFF

Upvote 0

Jamdoc

Oct 22, 2019
Helena
✟207,423.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Single
I am going to guess but perhaps you have beliefs that you do not follow scripture? are you certain you follow the words of God over the words of men? Please think carefully and verify al l things. I do not know you of course but i think it might be it, you could be following a doctrine that you think is right but does not correspond with the truth. Simply saying, please do not be offended. Like I said We do not know one another.

Introspection, I did that and I see things in another way that now corresponds to scripture. Also I learned that doing good works is a blessing and is necessary.

Blessings,

JFF
no.. opposite, one of the things I decided to do first and foremost is discard a lot of the doctrines that I felt were taught by men, things that were held by tradition that were not in scripture, or doctrines that hinged on a teaching of man to "work" with scripture

it started with the book of Daniel, you know, what people traditionally teach about Daniel, they'll say this chapter refers to this, this chapter refers to that, Chapter 8 is about Alexander the Great, etc. I threw that out because.. the book says its sealed. So every interpretation until the time of the end has been interpreting a sealed book and THINKING we knew what it meant. There was a lot of "I'd been taught this meant this, but ... that's not what it says, it says this instead".. so it started changing interpretations just by.. reading the text without holding onto a previously held doctrine I'd been taught by men.
He blessed that.
So I started applying it to other books as well, just scrutinizing everything men had taught about the bible.

but I only find these Aha moments when I get prompted and I yield. Without the prompt, I can pray and pray and pray .. but no new understanding comes when I read.

Upvote 0

SavedByGrace3

Jesus is Lord of ALL! (Not asking permission)
Site Supporter
Jun 6, 2002
Midlands
Visit site
✟563,553.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others

I don't even need to pray for Wisdom... I get prompted, to go to passages of scripture that sometimes.. I don't even remember what they were about or if I do think I know what they were about, I can't fathom how they will help me answer this person's question, or engage in this debate that I'm having, but I get prompted, I get led, I get connected with passages I didn't even know were connected or referred to each other. It's like I'm being taught by someone and all I can do is learn, go where He tells me to go, and have my eyes opened, learn what He teaches in His word. I feel blessed at those times, connection that I seldomly ever experience aside from those times. It's the only times where I feel like God is really with me.

Begin to thank Him for what He said He would do. He said He would do it and so He is doing it. Never say things contrary to what He said. We are to say what the Word says. Hold fast to the profession of your faith. If He said He would bless... He does. He does not lie. So the first thing to do is to side up with Him and do not contradict Him.

You ARE blessed when you read the Word.
Rev 1:3 Blessed is he that readeth, and they that hear the words of this prophecy, and keep those things which are written therein: for the time is at hand.

"I am blessed when I read the Words."

John 14:26 KJV
26. But the Comforter, which is the Holy Ghost, whom the Father will send in my name, he shall teach you all things, and bring all things to your remembrance, whatsoever I have said unto you.

"He teaches me all things. He brings all the things He said to remembrance."

John 6:45 KJV
45. It is written in the prophets, And they shall be all taught of God. Every man therefore that hath heard, and hath learned of the Father, cometh unto me.

"I am taught of God."

John 16:13 KJV
13. Howbeit when he, the Spirit of truth, is come, he will guide you into all truth: for he shall not speak of himself; but whatsoever he shall hear, that shall he speak: and he will shew you things to come.

"He guides me into all truth, He will show me things to come."

John 16:15 KJV
15. All things that the Father hath are mine: therefore said I, that he shall take of mine, and shall shew it unto you.

"God shows me all things that are His."

Doing this is very important. Look at the 12 spies who spied out the land.
Ten spies came back with an "evil report."

Numbers 13:31-33 KJV
31. But the men that went up with him said, We be not able to go up against the people; for they are stronger than we.
32. And they brought up an evil report of the land which they had searched unto the children of Israel, saying, The land, through which we have gone to search it, is a land that eateth up the inhabitants thereof; and all the people that we saw in it are men of a great stature.
33. And there we saw the giants, the sons of Anak, which come of the giants: and we were in our own sight as grasshoppers, and so we were in their sight.

Now it would seem they are must stated what they saw. What made it and "evil" report was they were contradicting what God said. God told them that this was their land. It belonged to them. These 10 spies contradicted God.
Two of the spies came back with a good report.

Numbers 14:6-9 KJV
6. And Joshua the son of Nun, and Caleb the son of Jephunneh, which were of them that searched the land, rent their clothes:
7. And they spake unto all the company of the children of Israel, saying, The land, which we passed through to search it, is an exceeding good land.
8. If the LORD delight in us, then he will bring us into this land, and give it us; a land which floweth with milk and honey.
9. Only rebel not ye against the LORD, neither fear ye the people of the land; for they are bread for us: their defence is departed from them, and the LORD is with us: fear them not.

This is faith and the functioning of faith. We hold fast to the confession of what God said. To do otherwise is called rebellion and fear.

Reactions: saved24
Upvote 0

Jamdoc

Oct 22, 2019
Helena
✟207,423.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Single
Begin to thank Him for what He said He would do. He said He would do it and so He is doing it. Never say things contrary to what He said. We are to say what the Word says. Hold fast to the profession of your faith. If He said He would bless... He does. He does not lie. So the first thing to do is to side up with Him and do not contradict Him.

You ARE blessed when you read the Word.
Rev 1:3 Blessed is he that readeth, and they that hear the words of this prophecy, and keep those things which are written therein: for the time is at hand.

"I am blessed when I read the Words."

John 14:26 KJV
26. But the Comforter, which is the Holy Ghost, whom the Father will send in my name, he shall teach you all things, and bring all things to your remembrance, whatsoever I have said unto you.

"He teaches me all things. He brings all the things He said to remembrance."

John 6:45 KJV
45. It is written in the prophets, And they shall be all taught of God. Every man therefore that hath heard, and hath learned of the Father, cometh unto me.

"I am taught of God."

John 16:13 KJV
13. Howbeit when he, the Spirit of truth, is come, he will guide you into all truth: for he shall not speak of himself; but whatsoever he shall hear, that shall he speak: and he will shew you things to come.

"He guides me into all truth, He will show me things to come."

John 16:15 KJV
15. All things that the Father hath are mine: therefore said I, that he shall take of mine, and shall shew it unto you.

"God shows me all things that are His."

Doing this is very important. Look at the 12 spies who spied out the land.
Ten spies came back with an "evil report."

Numbers 13:31-33 KJV
31. But the men that went up with him said, We be not able to go up against the people; for they are stronger than we.
32. And they brought up an evil report of the land which they had searched unto the children of Israel, saying, The land, through which we have gone to search it, is a land that eateth up the inhabitants thereof; and all the people that we saw in it are men of a great stature.
33. And there we saw the giants, the sons of Anak, which come of the giants: and we were in our own sight as grasshoppers, and so we were in their sight.

Now it would seem they are must stated what they saw. What made it and "evil" report was they were contradicting what God said. God told them that this was their land. It belonged to them. These 10 spies contradicted God.
Two of the spies came back with a good report.

Numbers 14:6-9 KJV
6. And Joshua the son of Nun, and Caleb the son of Jephunneh, which were of them that searched the land, rent their clothes:
7. And they spake unto all the company of the children of Israel, saying, The land, which we passed through to search it, is an exceeding good land.
8. If the LORD delight in us, then he will bring us into this land, and give it us; a land which floweth with milk and honey.
9. Only rebel not ye against the LORD, neither fear ye the people of the land; for they are bread for us: their defence is departed from them, and the LORD is with us: fear them not.

This is faith and the functioning of faith. We hold fast to the confession of what God said. To do otherwise is called rebellion and fear.

It's not really that though, I read the words but only have a surface level understanding when I go on my own, when I just say "well the pastor said I should read this every day, even when I don't know where to read I'll just pick up from where I left off".. I don't gain anything beyond a surface level understanding, nothing new jumps out at me, I don't feel the Lord guiding me, or teaching me.

But it's in those times when another person asks a question that there's very obvious guidance, and very obvious teaching and I learn new things. Mostly its connecting 1 passage of scripture to another that I didn't know were connected, or not connected in that specific way or it explains something in a way I had not thought of before. I can't force it or even beg for it, it's "go here, read this, now go here" and I yield, and I just wonder.. why is it not always like that. One thing He does is.. asks rhetorical questions to make me think about what I read. He's directly engaging with me in ways that help me learn, in ways that human teachers fail for me most of the time. He knows how to engage me and how I learn best.

It just doesn't happen when I want it to.

Upvote 0

SavedByGrace3

Site Supporter
Jun 6, 2002
Midlands
Visit site
✟563,553.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
It's not really that though, I read the words but only have a surface level understanding when I go on my own, when I just say "well the pastor said I should read this every day, even when I don't know where to read I'll just pick up from where I left off".. I don't gain anything beyond a surface level understanding, nothing new jumps out at me, I don't feel the Lord guiding me, or teaching me.

But it's in those times when another person asks a question that there's very obvious guidance, and very obvious teaching and I learn new things. Mostly its connecting 1 passage of scripture to another that I didn't know were connected, or not connected in that specific way or it explains something in a way I had not thought of before. I can't force it or even beg for it, it's "go here, read this, now go here" and I yield, and I just wonder.. why is it not always like that. One thing He does is.. asks rhetorical questions to make me think about what I read. He's directly engaging with me in ways that help me learn, in ways that human teachers fail for me most of the time. He knows how to engage me and how I learn best.

But He says it does. All I can say is you have to start siding with Him. At some point you have to throw your intellect and self-made perceptions aside, and just throw yourself on Him and His word. He said it, so it is.
Intellect and self perceptions can be the greatest barrier to your faith.
Faith is evidence of things NOT seen.
Without faith it is impossible to please Him.
This is your answer:
Those who come to God must believe that He is. AND that He IS are rewarder of those that diligently seek Him.

Upvote 0

Jamdoc

Oct 22, 2019
Helena
✟207,423.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Single
But He says it does. All I can say is you have to start siding with Him. At some point you have to throw your intellect and self-made perceptions aside, and just throw yourself on Him and His word. He said it, so it is.
Intellect and self perceptions can be the greatest barrier to your faith.
Faith is evidence of things NOT seen.
Without faith it is impossible to please Him.
This is your answer:
Those who come to God must believe that He is. AND that He IS are rewarder of those that diligently seek Him.
okay but if I just wake up in the morning pray and open my bible to wherever I feel like because I don't feel any guidance (even after praying for it), I'll come away from however many chapters with just.. "I didn't learn anything new, it's like fumbling around in the dark by myself"

It comes across as an exercise in obeying Paul Washer or Ray Comfort's commandments, not the Lord, I don't know, they say something like "no Bible no breakfast" and I try it and it's just unfruitful every single time.

But when God actually steps in, and it's not on any sort of schedule, like I said it usually happens as a result of a question or discussion on scripture and I don't know the answer in myself.. The Spirit steps in and whisks me away and just starts teaching me. I had no plan in particular to read 1 Corinthians 12 today to explain something, but that's where I was led so that's where I went and I learned an explanation for something I hadn't considered before. It is 100% fruitful every single time.

I just want more of that, because that is more honest time spent with the Lord than when I just.. try to force it, try to treat it religiously.

Upvote 0

YeshuaFollower

Veritas vos liberabit
Dec 6, 2022
eastern townships, Quebec
✟17,234.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private

yes the lord knows us better than we know ourselves. I have had also "silent" moments lasting many years. The lord is way above us he does test us constantly, he will let you know what he wants you to know when he wants, it is entirely his call. However many people are not completely opening their spirit to the lord's we need to listen closely, he does speak to us in so many different ways. maybe he is just testing your patience?

Blessings,

JFF

Reactions: Lost Witness
Upvote 0

SavedByGrace3

Site Supporter
Jun 6, 2002
Midlands
Visit site
✟563,553.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Have faith in what He said... not what you feel or think.
Hebrews 13:5 KJV
5. Let your conversation be without covetousness; and be content with such things as ye have: for he hath said, I will never leave thee, nor forsake thee.

Upvote 0

saved24

Forgiven
Site Supporter
Oct 21, 2011
Canada
✟842,092.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Single
Politics
CA-Conservatives
I find the Bible useful, it teaches me, especially in the New Testament. I don't always feel something, but I know it's good for me and I learn, and I can help others too. Of course I find others teaching of the Bible helpful too. It is wonderful when we gain insight, a verse jumps out at us, but this does not always happen. It is good to memorize too, when I need a verse to encourage me like "I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me" Philippians 4:13. We may not always feel something when we read God's Word, but it's good for us, it feeds us. God bless.

1 Timothy 3:16 & 17
16 All scripture is given by inspiration of God, and is profitable for doctrine, for reproof, for correction, for instruction in righteousness:
17 That the man of God may be perfect, thoroughly furnished unto all good works.
Matthew 4:4 But He answered, “It is written, “‘Man shall not live by bread alone, but by every word that comes from the mouth of God.’”
Psalm 119:105 Thy Word is a lamp unto my feet, and a light unto my path.
Psalm 119:11 Thy Word have I hid in my heart, that I might not sin against thee.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Jamdoc

Oct 22, 2019
Helena
✟207,423.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Single
yes the lord knows us better than we know ourselves. I have had also "silent" moments lasting many years. The lord is way above us he does test us constantly, he will let you know what he wants you to know when he wants, it is entirely his call. However many people are not completely opening their spirit to the lord's we need to listen closely, he does speak to us in so many different ways. maybe he is just testing your patience?

Blessings,

JFF
yeah as I'm sure is apparent, I have very low patience.
I pray for guidance I tell Him if He leads I'll follow, but a lot of times.. there's just nothing, and I get bored and restless.

I've read the bible multiple times cover to cover in the last few years and I'm getting to a point of impatience and frustration when not every session leads to growth or new understanding. Just the same thing I already knew.

Upvote 0

NBB

Site Supporter
Apr 19, 2013
Uruguay
✟454,820.00
Country
Uruguay
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
If you want your spiritual life and your reading of the bible to get to better, just one advice, be filled with the Holy spirit, this is so neglected by a lot of theologies and is so wrong to do that, we need him badly like the disciples we need our pentecost day. And keep staying filled. Have a good day.

Upvote 0

msufan

Jul 12, 2005
Michigan
Visit site
✟21,282.00
Faith
Non-Denom
I just want more of that, because that is more honest time spent with the Lord than when I just.. try to force it, try to treat it religiously.
I think you already have your answer. That's what God wants, too -- just honest time with you without you having to force it.

• Winner
Upvote 0

oikonomia

Nov 11, 2022
Pittsburgh
✟64,265.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Learning to pray-read the Bible is very good.

Upvote 0

oikonomia

Nov 11, 2022
Pittsburgh
✟64,265.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Singing the verses put to song brings up the word in your heart to draw near to the Lord.

Singing and psalming with our heart to the Lord with a passage here and there, with verse here and there.

Samples from my Youtube channel.

• Winner
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Jamdoc

Oct 22, 2019
Helena
✟207,423.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Single
I think you already have your answer. That's what God wants, too -- just honest time with you without you having to force it.

like.. to make it an analogy, it's like I wake up, walk over to God's, knock the door, and get no answer, and there's a decision to make. According to many pastors and most Christians in general, I should.. just disregard that my knock wasn't answered, open the door and just waltz in like I own the place, and assume His guidance is just "read wherever seems right to you", where what has been more profitable to me is, I knock, I don't get an answer, so I just go home, sometime when I actually need it, Jesus knocks on my door, I answer, and He says I know you knocked, I was helping someone else, now, I'll guide and teach you"
Like sometimes I just have to wait on Him, even if it means going days without study, because without Him actively teaching on His own time? I'm just practicing religion.

Reactions: msufan
Upvote 0

biblelesson

Jun 11, 2021
College Park
✟72,763.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

I thought I should reply because I have experienced the same things. I seem to struggle when I have a question I need answered by God, but I notice when I’m helping someone else, I’m led to the exact scripture; I suddenly know, and scriptures comes to my mind automatically. It’s like I’m watching someone else, but it’s the Holy Spirit guiding me.

I have come to realize that God works through people - we receive blessings as we speak the word of truth to other believers, as we confess Jesus. When I’m dealing with my own issues, I don’t always know what to read and don’t always feel guided. But I should be careful and not become frustrated to the point of doing something of my own works, because that’s operating in unbelief. The gospel is a mystery, Romans 16:25, and understanding and revelation is given by the Holy Ghost, Ephesians 1:17. So we must be patient when we study the Bible because It is the Holy Spirit that brings to our remembrance all things…, John 14:26.

We are servants of God and the church is of one Spirit, Ephesians 4:4. We are to build one another up, so our personal strength and understanding comes from other believers praying for us, with us, and studying together, and from our work to edify others and build them up.

Our frustration is because God is conforming us to the image of His Son, Romans 8:29, and we must go through the fire to be changed, 1 Peter 1:7.

We don’t know how the Holy Spirit is guiding us at the time. John 3:8 says, 8 The wind bloweth where it listeth, and thou hearest the sound thereof, but canst not tell whence it cometh, and whither it goeth: so is every one that is born of the Spirit.

Upvote 0

Jamdoc

Oct 22, 2019
Helena
✟207,423.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Single
I thought I should reply because I have experienced the same things. I seem to struggle when I have a question I need answered by God, but I notice when I’m helping someone else, I’m led to the exact scripture; I suddenly know, and scriptures comes to my mind automatically. It’s like I’m watching someone else, but it’s the Holy Spirit guiding me.

I have come to realize that God works through people - we receive blessings as we speak the word of truth to other believers, as we confess Jesus. When I’m dealing with my own issues, I don’t always know what to read and don’t always feel guided. But I should be careful and not become frustrated to the point of doing something of my own works, because that’s operating in unbelief. The gospel is a mystery, Romans 16:25, and understanding and revelation is given by the Holy Ghost, Ephesians 1:17. So we must be patient when we study the Bible because It is the Holy Spirit that brings to our remembrance all things…, John 14:26.

We are servants of God and the church is of one Spirit, Ephesians 4:4. We are to build one another up, so our personal strength and understanding comes from other believers praying for us, with us, and studying together, and from our work to edify others and build them up.

Our frustration is because God is conforming us to the image of His Son, Romans 8:29, and we must go through the fire to be changed, 1 Peter 1:7.

We don’t know how the Holy Spirit is guiding us at the time. John 3:8 says, 8 The wind bloweth where it listeth, and thou hearest the sound thereof, but canst not tell whence it cometh, and whither it goeth: so is every one that is born of the Spirit.

I suppose it's good to know that it's not a thing of God singling me out where all other believers get guided whenever they ask, cause sometimes that's the fear, of why do I only feel God's guidance sometimes, when it's to help someone else, while everyone else seems to claim that it's 24/7 for them.

Upvote 0