Raleigh, NC
✟18,036.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
Why does the media insist on calling Creationist Science an 'alternative' to the theory of evolution?
Because that's what it's presented as by creationists, the media just passively relays the message.

That's like saying pancakes are a good alternative to an internal combustion engine.
Make a stir about it, and you just might see a lively, on-air debate about it on Fox News. :p

Upvote 0

Allister

Veteran
Oct 26, 2004
Cornwall, United Kingdom
✟16,959.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
the idea of creationism as an alternative to evolution appears to be a strictly American construction. From my experiences Britain does not do this. for some unknown reason a high proportion of Americans are fanatically christian. the cause of this fanaticism i do not know but it is not the same in England

Upvote 0

JohnR7

Feb 9, 2002
Ohio
✟29,532.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Married
Why does the media insist on calling Creationist Science an 'alternative' to the theory of evolution?
Because there are only two different kinds of science. There is creation science and there is evolution science.

Of course evolution science is a oxymoron, because there is no evidence that shows evolution to be true.

Just like there is no science evidence that shows creationism to be false.

Upvote 0

JohnR7

Feb 9, 2002
Ohio
✟29,532.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Married
Upvote 0

Pete Harcoff

PeteAce - In memory of WinAce
Jun 30, 2002
✟9,874.00
Faith
Other Religion
Because that's what it's presented as by creationists, the media just passively relays the message.

Yup, that seems to by the gist of it. The creationists/IDists have done a very good job of convincing the media and the public that there is a legit scientific debate going on and that there are competing theories.

Unfortunately, nobody pays attention to how real science is being done in the "real world" (i.e. beyond the contrived "debate"). You see a remarkable absense of anything to do with creationism and ID in that regard.

Upvote 0

arensb

Jun 17, 2006
Visit site
✟22,175.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private

That's like saying pancakes are a good alternative to an internal combustion engine.
I'd say it's more like astrology as an "alternative" to meteorology or astronomy.

I suspect a laziness bias, or ignorance, or unwillingness to offend readers (a distressing number of Americans are creationists, after all. A headline like "Religious Extremists Attempt to Subvert Science Education" would doubtless annoy lots of readers).

Look at it from the reporter's point of view: we're long past Scopes, when the creationists wanted to forbid teaching evolution; these days, their best bet is to get creationism (under the name of Intelligent Design) taught alongside it. Actually, after Dover, we may even be past that point: the new scam from the Discovery Institute is "teach the evidence against evolution". But a lot of rank and file creationists haven't gotten the message yet.

Since they can't just get rid of evolution (yet), they need to get their foot in the door somehow, so they present creationism/ID as an "alternative". That sounds nice and fair, and since the party at the focus of the story said it, the reporter feels justified in using that term. And besides, the person calling it an "alternative" usually has a Ph.D, or represents a group with an innocuous name like Citizens for Academic Freedom and Baskets of Puppies or some such, so hey, let's go with it.

Ignorance: the Discovery Institute has had years to perfect the art of masquerading as scientists, and they've gotten rather good at it. If this is the first time creationism has come to the reporter's town, he or she might be excused for not knowing its history, and thinking that there's something to it.

Journalistic principles: while many newspapers may be biased one way or another, in the US "bias" is a Bad Word, so they at least claim to strive toward impartiality (heck, even Fox News calls itself "fair and balanced", not "news for the right"; that wouldn't go over well). There's a tendency in the media to present both sides equally and let the readers decide, even when, in the words of Stephen Colbert, "reality has a well-known liberal bias". It just isn't done to say that there's a dispute between A and B, and B is obviously wrong.

Upvote 0

Elduran

Disruptive influence
May 19, 2005
✟9,830.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
John hears wrong. I got an education which included religion as an academic subject, but this was generally a look into the history and the imagery of the various religious texts, making it more of a culture and literature class than anything.

Creationism was never taught as fact, and will not ever be taught as fact in this country as long as the various scientific bodies still have a say in the drawing up of the national curriculum.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Ondoher

Veteran
Sep 17, 2004
✟2,246.00
Faith
Atheist
Because there are only two different kinds of science. There is creation science and there is evolution science.

Of course evolution science is a oxymoron, because there is no evidence that shows evolution to be true.
Poppycock! Every month hundreds of papers supporting evolution are published in scientific journals. You need to kill your Morton's Demon.

In fact, creationism cannot be shown false. It is utterly unfalsifiable. It cannot be tested in any way. It just isn't science.

Upvote 0

Biologist

Jul 14, 2006
✟4,206.00
Faith
Pantheist
The media tells people what they want to hear, and creationists tell people what they want to hear.
You have that backwards, and you still continue to refuse to formally debate Evolution. One formal debate will end your evangelism.

Upvote 0

ObbiQuiet

Eating Heart
Jul 12, 2003
The Desert
Visit site
✟4,934.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others

Is your wife Carico?

Upvote 0

AngryWomble

Aug 13, 2006
✟15,702.00
Faith
Agnostic
I hear they are required to teach creationism in England.

The day they do is the day i go down to Parliament and burn some bibles and the national curriculum in front of the buildings!

Creationism is included as a discussion point of the previous thoughts and how through discovery we changed our thinking to the scientific model.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

TemperateSeaIsland

Mae hen wlad fy nhadau yn annwyl i mi
Aug 7, 2005
Wales, UK
✟21,785.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
The day they do is the day i go down to Parliament and burn some bibles and the national curriculum in front of the buildings!

Creationism is included as a discussion point of the previous thoughts and how through discovery we changed our thinking to the scientific model.

I'll join you there. :wave:

Upvote 0