Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Can't God grade on a curve? Must He be so stringent, when it comes to sin?

But back to your headline, Sins don't get "punished" as they get what is comming to them.
The wages of sin is death.

What that means is Sin causes death. Sin results in death.
God is the Creator and separation from Him is death.
Anything you have experienced, other than death, is a gift from your Creator.
A gift you don't deserve but is given in Love.

Upvote 0

Hammster

The fool hath said in his heart, There is no God.
Christian Forums Staff
Site Advisor
Site Supporter
Apr 5, 2007
New Jerusalem
Visit site
✟1,738,629.00
Country
United States
Faith
Reformed
Marital Status
Married
Upvote 0

Symph

Jul 6, 2017
NASHVILLE
✟90,871.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
War broke out in Heaven. The bible doesn't tell us a whole lot about it, but we know it was before us. Seems logical that perhaps that's the reason for all of this. People say "Why didn't God make this place a paradise, why isn't perfect?" Well it sounds like he already did that. Sounds like there was an age of angels of perfect ecstacy with God, it may even explain alot of the anomalies we see in the universe. But war broke out in heaven, and I think God decided he had to make a universal point that would reverberate throughout creation for the rest of eternity. So he shrinks everything down into a containment system, a beautiful one with everything we need, but one where the creatures here can only do so much damage and are not the powerful entities they once were. Now he makes it incredibly clear the difference between Him, and Us, and lets us see both personally and historically that every time we have ever gone against God it ends in pain, suffering, torment, tragedy, and death.

Now we all know the gospel story, so it's not like that's all he did, he then saves us to demonstrate love and give us an abundance of thankfulness, and I think the whole point is when we are finally allowed back into heaven, and things are as they should be, both man and angel will be able to look at all that happened and say "I will NEVER doubt God again, I will never set myself up against him again, no matter how bright my light shines, I will never think it can shine like God's light". And war will never break out in heaven again.

• Informative
Reactions: KarateCowboy
Upvote 0

Presbyterian Continuist

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Mar 28, 2005
Christchurch New Zealand
Visit site
✟838,721.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
Can't God grade on a curve? Must He be so stringent, when it comes to sin?
You are right. God is absolutely stringent when it comes to sin. He is so strict about it that all sin has to be punished without exception. So, in order to save us and spare us from eternal punishment, because even if all of us spent eternity in hell, we would never be punished enough, He put the complete punishment on His Son Jesus Christ when He died on the cross for us. I don't think we have any conception of the full extent of what Jesus suffered on the cross. He took the full and complete punishment for the whole world's sin, right from creation through to the second coming. That means that He was punished for the sins, past, present and future for billions of us throughout the whole history of the world. Of course only those who receive Christ as Saviour will receive the benefit of it and be released from the prison of sin.

What this means to every person who has received Christ as Saviour is that he or she is totally free from the domination, power, guilt, and punishment of and for every sin, past, present and future. When we do fall from grace and succumb to temptation we lose fellowship with God, but not our standing with Him. Using 1 John 1:9 immediately restores fellowship. This means that we can live for Christ without any sin consciousness at all, and when we "blow it" under temptation, we can know if we confess our sin (that is bring it to God's throne of Grace and be complete honest and open with Him about it) then He will forgive and cleanse us completely.

This is why the Gospel is such good news to lost sinners and struggling believers.

Upvote 0

Hammster

Christian Forums Staff
Site Advisor
Site Supporter
Apr 5, 2007
New Jerusalem
Visit site
✟1,738,629.00
Country
United States
Faith
Reformed
Marital Status
Married
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

mkgal1

His perfect way sets me free. 2 Samuel 22:33
Site Supporter
Jun 22, 2007
California
✟551,233.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
I don't believe God *punishes* us for our sin......I believe, through His love and holiness, He will restore us to be more like Him. Not retributive justice.....but restorative justice. Sin carries its own consequences.....but that's not from God.

>>>>>>>>>>There is no fear in love, but perfect love drives out fear, because fear involves punishment. The one who fears has not been perfected in love.~1st John 4:18

Reactions: Symph
Upvote 0

jimmyjimmy

Pardoned Rebel
Site Supporter
Jan 2, 2015
USA
✟234,973.00
Country
United States
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Married
I don't believe God *punishes* us for our sin......I believe, through His love and holiness, He will restore us to be more like Him. Not retributive justice.....but restorative justice.

Universalism?

Upvote 0

Steven Calloway

Aug 14, 2017
Union, SC
✟16,174.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Put simply, God is a God of perfect justice. Which implies a righteous judgement on every unrighteous deed. We expect earthly judges to deal out justice according to the degree of the crime. We are upset when we feel a judge was to lenient on a particular sentence. Should not the God of the universe be upset when one of his creations transgress his infinite law?! I say THANK GOD he has perfect standards that NEVER change.

Upvote 0

jimmyjimmy

Pardoned Rebel
Site Supporter
Jan 2, 2015
USA
✟234,973.00
Country
United States
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Married
Put simply, God is a God of perfect justice. Which implies a righteous judgement on every unrighteous deed. We expect earthly judges to deal out justice according to the degree of the crime. We are upset when we feel a judge was to lenient on a particular sentence. Should not the God of the universe be upset when one of his creations transgress his infinite law?! I say THANK GOD he has perfect standards that NEVER change.

Ultimately, it's only He who is offended. When I am offended, I forgive, and not just those who ask for forgiveness.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Symph

Jul 6, 2017
NASHVILLE
✟90,871.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
:holy: .....can I admit that here, if it were?
I don't want you to be alone. I lean toward a universalist theology as well, however I DO think he punishes the wicked when they won't repent, and I do think his punishments often go far beyond what the average human would call "harsh". However like you, I think the end result will be restoration, not destruction. But yeah... keep it on the DL.... lol

• Friendly
Reactions: mkgal1
Upvote 0

Hammster

Christian Forums Staff
Site Advisor
Site Supporter
Apr 5, 2007
New Jerusalem
Visit site
✟1,738,629.00
Country
United States
Faith
Reformed
Marital Status
Married
Yes, He must. His holiness demands it.
But seriously

and although they know the ordinance of God, that those who practice such things are worthy of death, they not only do the same, but also give hearty approval to those who practice them.

God considers sin worthy of death.

We can go through scripture and see where it says He's holy, righteous, just. And we can see that He deals harshly with sin (see: the Cross). So while I may not find the exact words about His holiness demanding justice, I think I could make a compelling theological argument.

Upvote 0

Steven Calloway

Aug 14, 2017
Union, SC
✟16,174.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
10 My defence is of God, which saveth the upright in heart.

11 God judgeth the righteous, and God is angry with the wicked every day.

12 If he turn not, he will whet his sword; he hath bent his bow, and made it ready.

Upvote 0