Feb 11, 2004
✟168,333.00
Faith
Pagan
Marital Status
Legal Union (Other)
Politics
UK-Greens
I don't understand which part of our religion [i.e. Christianity] you find evil.
I don't think we are allowed to discuss that without risking repercussions from the moderators, as this would fall under "General Apologetics" and/or could get us reported for "insulting or belittling Christianity".

I'd be willing to share my thoughts with you via PM, though, if you are interested.

Upvote 0

GabrielWithoutWings

Strolling through Naraka
Jul 25, 2006
Gainesville, Georgia
✟9,703.00
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
Do some research I have and it is said Gardner had many visits with Crowley, there are alot of Crowley frases and quotes in the book. (Google search)

That doesn't mean that Crowley himself wrote the Book of Shadows. It's well known that Gardner and Crowley met a few times and that Crowley likely granted Gardner permission to bestow the Minerval degree upon members of his circle. It's also blatantly obvious that Gardner plagiarized wholesale sections of the Gnostic Mass.

If Crowley had written that book himself, he would've published it along with the other 30,000 he wrote.

Upvote 0

Zoness

667, neighbor of the beast
Site Supporter
Jul 21, 2008
Illinois
✟468,399.00
Country
United States
Faith
Pagan
Marital Status
Married
The Christian God is a loving and merciful God, I don't understand which part of our religion you find evil. Is it the part where we should love our neighbors, or thy shall not judge, thy shall not murder, thy shall not lie (false testimony)

[Self-censored for possible rule violation]

Im sorry if you find what I wrote about pagans insulting, but I am speaking from personal experience I had with Wicca, the use of magik imo is evil!

Can you describe your path? Rituals? Were you a part of any organizations, which ones? You'll understand if I am skeptical until some detail is provided.

Upvote 0

dlamberth

Senior Contributor
Site Supporter
Oct 12, 2003
Oregon
✟732,930.00
Faith
Other Religion
Politics
US-Others
The Christian God is a loving and merciful God, I don't understand which part of our religion you find evil.
The Christian God IS loving and merciful. It's my belief based upon experience that Jesus Christ and the religion called Christianity are two distinct things that only occasionally cross the same path. There was bumper sticker I'd see every now and than that went like this: "Oh Lord, please save me from your Followers". I know in my own life, that's been pretty much what I've experienced. So it may be something about the people of Christianity who are not loving and merciful in what they bring to the world around them. And others will react to what they see and experience.

Upvote 0

LoAmmi

Dispassionate
Mar 12, 2012
✟209,533.00
Faith
Judaism
Marital Status
Married
The Christian God is a loving and merciful God, I don't understand which part of our religion you find evil. Is it the part where we should love our neighbors, or thy shall not judge, thy shall not murder, thy shall not lie (false testimony)

Others might not be willing to answer, but I'll tell you my thoughts on it.

I find the idea that life is a cosmic game of "guess the right path" where you have to pick the Jesus path in order not to burn forever in torture to be pretty evil overall. All the things you put there about judging and loving don't matter in the end because what matters is belief in Jesus.

To many Christians I've spoken to, if Hitler had a change of heart at the last second and confessed his sins to Jesus and became a Christian, he's in Heaven right now. His victims, had they remained loyal to their Jewish faith, are in Hell.

If that is true and that is Christian theology, I welcome the idea of eternal separation from a being that would think that was ok.

Reactions: Zoness
Upvote 0

Zoness

667, neighbor of the beast
Site Supporter
Jul 21, 2008
Illinois
✟468,399.00
Country
United States
Faith
Pagan
Marital Status
Married
Others might not be willing to answer, but I'll tell you my thoughts on it.

I find the idea that life is a cosmic game of "guess the right path" where you have to pick the Jesus path in order not to burn forever in torture to be pretty evil overall. All the things you put there about judging and loving don't matter in the end because what matters is belief in Jesus.

To many Christians I've spoken to, if Hitler had a change of heart at the last second and confessed his sins to Jesus and became a Christian, he's in Heaven right now. His victims, had they remained loyal to their Jewish faith, are in Hell.

If that is true and that is Christian theology, I welcome the idea of eternal separation from a being that would think that was ok.

I agree with LoAmmi, he said it better than I ever could.

Upvote 0

dazed

Jun 21, 2011
✟17,651.00
Faith
Buddhist
Marital Status
Married

I cracked a joke about the fondness of young boys problem to my Catholic brother in law and he went off the deep end. I guess he is not offended that the priests will go to heaven. The boys, should they became ex-Catholics over this, will go to hell.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Jane_the_Bane

Gaia's godchild
Feb 11, 2004
✟168,333.00
Faith
Pagan
Marital Status
Legal Union (Other)
Politics
UK-Greens
Okay, since lots of differentiation is going on here, here's my take on a more benign interpretation of the Abrahamaics and their conception of divinity:

Although the Biblical myths contain lots and lots of needless cruelty on the part of the deity depicted therein, that is NOT what sets them apart from other theological conceptions of their day and age: most ancient gods were VICIOUS, reflecting the seemingly capricious threat of natural forces that were beyond people's understanding or control. People would randomly die of a fever, or an inflamed appendix, or worms, or a wild animal attack - and people would attribute this to fickle deities who needed to be appeased.

So, when YHVH commands Abraham to cut the throat of his firstborn son, that's not all that unusual - it's what the ancients would have expected from a deity. The unusual twist only comes when God commands his follower to stay the blade, and REJECTS human sacrifices.

It's kindness that sets YHVH apart, even if his depictions still reflect a rather crude understanding of deity that often portrays him in terms of a volatile middle eastern tyrant king of old.

But yeah, eternal hell and a conception of salvation that hinges solely on belonging to the right party are pretty evil concepts, IMO.

Upvote 0

dlamberth

Senior Contributor
Site Supporter
Oct 12, 2003
Oregon
✟732,930.00
Faith
Other Religion
Politics
US-Others
But yeah, eternal hell and a conception of salvation that hinges solely on belonging to the right party are pretty evil concepts, IMO.
I believe that images of Hell, Sin and of a Judgmental God has done more harm to humanity than any other theology out there. It's a theology that is not limited to Christianity. In the way it has/is historically played out over time has been pretty evil, IMO.

Upvote 0

MehGuy

A member of the less neotenous sex..
Site Supporter
Jul 23, 2007
Minnesota
✟1,164,565.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Yeah, I know the concept of hell messed me up when I was younger. It wasn't until I escaped the clutches of religion and the idea of hell that I was able to properly begin to love other people.

When you're taught that your enemies are destined to hell and that such a thing is justifiable, you're ability to look at people as less than human is more easily achievable.

These are just my thoughts at least, I know other Christians will probably have had a different experience than me.

Upvote 0

dazed

Jun 21, 2011
✟17,651.00
Faith
Buddhist
Marital Status
Married
Okay, since lots of differentiation is going on here, here's my take on a more benign interpretation of the Abrahamaics and their conception of divinity:

Although the Biblical myths contain lots and lots of needless cruelty on the part of the deity depicted therein, that is NOT what sets them apart from other theological conceptions of their day and age: most ancient gods were VICIOUS, reflecting the seemingly capricious threat of natural forces that were beyond people's understanding or control. People would randomly die of a fever, or an inflamed appendix, or worms, or a wild animal attack - and people would attribute this to fickle deities who needed to be appeased.

So, when YHVH commands Abraham to cut the throat of his firstborn son, that's not all that unusual - it's what the ancients would have expected from a deity. The unusual twist only comes when God commands his follower to stay the blade, and REJECTS human sacrifices.

It's kindness that sets YHVH apart, even if his depictions still reflect a rather crude understanding of deity that often portrays him in terms of a volatile middle eastern tyrant king of old.

The way you put it makes it sounds like the Abrahamaic religions were just fairy tales like other false religions.

Upvote 0

Jane_the_Bane

Gaia's godchild
Feb 11, 2004
✟168,333.00
Faith
Pagan
Marital Status
Legal Union (Other)
Politics
UK-Greens
The way you put it makes it sounds like the Abrahamaic religions were just fairy tales like other false religions.
That'd be an understanding of myth akin to what was going on during the Enlightenment - and a misconception of what myth is all about. It's not about getting hard facts across; it's about transporting meaning - literally making sense of things.

Most religions of this world, including those that are denounced as "false" by exclusivist world views, are a part of our collective quest for meaning, a broader understanding of ourselves and our place in relation to all the rest. The natural science and the humanities are just as much of an outgrowth of that ever-expanding tree as the most "backwards" shaman sitting in some hovel in the jungle and delving into his own subconscious via hallucinogenic substances.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

LittleLambofJesus

Hebrews 2:14.... Pesky Devil, git!
Site Supporter
May 19, 2015
GOD's country of Texas
Visit site
✟1,237,270.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Libertarian
I believe that images of Hell, Sin and of a Judgmental God has done more harm to humanity than any other theology out there. It's a theology that is not limited to Christianity. In the way it has/is historically played out over time has been pretty evil, IMO.

Yeah, I know the concept of hell messed me up when I was younger. It wasn't until I escaped the clutches of religion and the idea of hell that I was able to properly begin to love other people.

When you're taught that your enemies are destined to hell and that such a thing is justifiable, you're ability to look at people as less than human is more easily achievable.

These are just my thoughts at least, I know other Christians will probably have had a different experience than me.
How many religions outside of Christianity teach about an eternal hell? :confused:

Lazarus and the Rich Man - Here a little, there a little - Commentary
LAZARUS AND THE RICH MAN

The parable of Lazarus and the rich man has been the foundation for many of the erroneous beliefs about "hell" within traditional Christianity. Some have viewed it not as a parable, but as a true story Yeshua told to give details about the punishment of sinners in hell.

Yet a thorough, unbiased examination of this story will show that the generally accepted interpretations of this passage of Scripture are erroneous and misleading. In this article, we will go through the parable verse by verse to determine what the Messiah was truly teaching............

Upvote 0
Mar 21, 2013
✟18,105.00
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Married
That'd be an understanding of myth akin to what was going on during the Enlightenment - and a misconception of what myth is all about. It's not about getting hard facts across; it's about transporting meaning - literally making sense of things.

Most religions of this world, including those that are denounced as "false" by exclusivist world views, are a part of our collective quest for meaning, a broader understanding of ourselves and our place in relation to all the rest. The natural science and the humanities are just as much of an outgrowth of that ever-expanding tree as the most "backwards" shaman sitting in some hovel in the jungle and delving into his own subconscious via hallucinogenic substances.

Wonderfully stated!

There isn't anything particularly different between the "YHWH" myth and all the other myths bouncing around at that time. Only gradually did the Jewish people, and later Christians and Muslims, come to henotheism and then to a monotheist conception of God.

Today, as mature human beings who have entered the era of collective adulthood, we have the capacity to see that all of the different religious traditions spring from the relationship between humanity and the Divine, filtered through the capacity and culture and history of people in different ages in different places and stages of development.

We no longer must (and can no longer afford! to) hold onto culturally imperialist hostility to others beliefs and viewpoints, believing that we hold the truth and everyone else is in error or worse yet, folowing an imagined Satanic force of evil and destruction.

It is a difficult transition in consciousness to make - it is easy to fall back into us-versus-them thinking and seeing the errors "those guys" are making. But we can no longer afford to operate based on tribalistic modes of thought and interaction. Life is calling us to universal acceptance and compassion so we can make the collective transition to a global sense of community and spirital unity.

Upvote 0

EnemyOfReason

May 22, 2013
✟9,335.00
Faith
Pagan
Marital Status
In Relationship

Im sorry if you find what I wrote about pagans insulting, but I am speaking from personal experience I had with Wicca, the use of magik imo is evil!

You ar enot speaking from experience. One thing that is apart of Christian doctrine is deceit, I present to you the Bible as exhibit A and I already refuted it a page or two ago. I do not promote genocide, lying, torture, infanticide, slavery(as long as they are captives of war), nor the stoning of people along with rape. You were never a Wiccan because to be honest, Wiccans are the biggest group of fluffy tree huggers I have ever seen. They are as pagan as Billy Graham and as evil as 2 cuddly kittens. Also the "magik" you speak of is not even real. Considering that you have little to no info on paganism and copied it from CARM I cannot take you seriously.

Christian doctrine is evil and promotes immorality although I make exceptions towards many Christians. I used to be a Muslim and to be frank, Islam is exceedingly honest and moral compared to Christianity.

Upvote 0

smaneck

Baha'i
Sep 29, 2010
Jackson, MS
✟55,644.00
Faith
Baha'i
Marital Status
Single
Or other, more dominant religions, for that matter:

three out of the four schizophrenics I've personally met were EXTREMELY devout Christians, to the point of fanaticism.
One of them started to see Satanists everywhere when she went off her meds.

Actually the one Satanist I've known was also a Pentecostal Christian, and she had severe mental problems. I think the two things fed off each other.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.