• Welcome to Christian Forums
  1. Welcome to Christian Forums, a forum to discuss Christianity in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Why does Paganism scare Christians?

Discussion in 'Christianity and World Religion' started by EnemyOfReason, Mar 24, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Inkfingers

Inkfingers Somebody's heretic

+523
    Calvinist
    Single
    That it is rooted in the terrible scholarship of Leland and Murray, the deviant sexual proclivities of Gardner, the Hermetic ritual magic that Crowley brought it out of Freemasonry, and the abundance of nylon-wearing playgans who spout on about "gaia" and "nature" whilst wearing clothes that will take millennia to rot but who spit blood at the thought of wearing fur.

Did I miss anything out? :p

2. ContraMundum

ContraMundum Messianic Jewish Christian Supporter

+2,798
    Christian
    Private
    Apart from the ad-hom bit I would tend to agree from what I have discovered recently.

3. morningstar2651

morningstar2651 Senior Veteran

+2,254
    Pagan
    Single
    US-Others
    Have either of you considered that making broad generalizations about members of a religion based on stereotypes of that religion might not be the best way to interact with the real men and women who are members of that faith?

I'd like to point out that you've also conflated Gardnerian Wicca with the entirety of Neo-Paganism with your references to Leland, Murray, Gardner, and Crowley.

4. morningstar2651

morningstar2651 Senior Veteran

+2,254
    Pagan
    Single
    US-Others
    No, but neither is Christianity. The United States does not define what is or is not a legal religion. There is no legal requirement.

The government isn't in the business of determining which religions receive first amendment protections, and which do not. All religions do.

5. awitch

awitch @PluckyDuck3 on Twitter

+1,681
    United States
    Pagan
    Private
    US-Democrat
    So god endorses the marriages of two people who actively deny his existence and do not include him in any part of the marriage at any time but he doesn't endorse (according to you) any marriage if the couple is of the same gender, even if they are Christians? Well I won't get in trouble with the mods by telling what I think about that.

It secures the same rights, benefits, and privileges for same sex couples as heterosexual couples. Those couples being tax paying, American citizens.

Haha. No, it court the arguments are typically tame and political (which is why they keep losing). Outside of court, we have countless audio and video of Christians saying how same sex marriage will destroy civilization, how gay people are diseased and possessed by demons and are all pedophiles who want to recruit children. They blame storms and mass shootings on gay people just because they exist.

It's a very easy question, and I find it interesting that you continue to dodge it.

I'll just leave that here...you know, for the record.

6. awitch

awitch @PluckyDuck3 on Twitter

+1,681
    United States
    Pagan
    Private
    US-Democrat
    Then what's the problem?

To clarify, I'm a heterosexual male and my wife is a heterosexual female. I'm arguing that civil unions are not equivalent to civil marriage. There are still many differences and we all remember how "separate but equal" worked out.

7. Inkfingers

Inkfingers Somebody's heretic

+523
    Calvinist
    Single
    Much of Neo-paganism sprang from Gardner, and thus Wicca, with the whole "calling the quarters" elemental magic circle phenomenon being something from Crowley. It has nothing to do with the magical and religious traditions of northern european countries, but is treated as if its what our ancestors would have done.

So I've not conflated anything. I've simple recognised the 'heritage' of Neo-paganism. The only one that does not fit this pattern is Germanic paganism (Asatru) which seeks to draw on its historic roots rather than the garbled mishmash that came out of Crowley's and Gardner's sexual depravity.

8. steve_bakr

steve_bakr Christian

+194
    Catholic
    Married
    US-Democrat
    Why and on what principle are you a Satanist?

9. LilLamb219

LilLamb219 The Lamb is gone Supporter

+1,730
    Christian
    Private
    MOD HAT ON

UPDATE:
    This thread will remain permanently closed. It has gone off topic, has too many flames and other problems.

MOD HAT OFF

Last edited: Jun 7, 2014
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.