Not open for further replies.

lmnop9876

Aug 29, 2005
✟8,364.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
we used to have John 3:16 in a frame on the back of our wc door. atm we have nothing. but often we (and lots of other people we know) have a little calendar of Bible verses hanging on the door or wall of the toilet. do you think this is disrespectful? irreverent?
btw,
are we thinking of different things here when we say bathroom? when someone said they had an Icon in their bathroom, i assumed they meant the place where the shower, handbasin, and bathtub was, not where the toilet was???

Upvote 0

FallingWaters

Woman of God
Mar 29, 2006
Maine
✟38,902.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
pjw said:
btw, are we thinking of different things here when we say bathroom? when someone said they had an Icon in their bathroom, i assumed they meant the place where the shower, handbasin, and bathtub was, not where the toilet was???
Generally speaking, in America a "bathroom" is the room where the toilet, bathtub and sink are. In your country, do you keep your toilet separate from these other things?

In very large homes, sometimes the toilet will be in a place by itself, but that is not the norm here.

Upvote 0

FallingWaters

Woman of God
Mar 29, 2006
Maine
✟38,902.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
ramesses said:
I'm suprised that even at the sixth page we are still on the topic!

Why do you have icons in your homes?

Well, for prayer.
Yes, well it seems we have veered onto a tangent, and now are discussing the propriety of having an icon in one's bathroom/toilet area.

Upvote 0

Matrona

Lady Godiva Freedom Rider
Aug 17, 2003
USA
Visit site
✟20,668.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
FallingWaters said:
Generally speaking, in America a "bathroom" is the room where the toilet, bathtub and sink are. In your country, do you keep your toilet separate from these other things?

IIRC, pjc lives in Australia and a lot of countries keep the toilet separate from other bath fixtures. Especially Europe. I don't know why exactly, it seems like that would make it hard to wash your hands after visiting the toilet. :o

For our non-American readers, in American homes we usually keep all the fixtures in one room called the "bathroom": sink, toilet, shower, tub (sometimes the shower and tub are combined). One with just a sink plus a toilet will be a "half-bathroom".

I think what we're going for is, is it okay to have icons in the room or close by where one urinates/defecates/strolls around nekkid on their way to the shower or tub?

I think that going to the potty is gross, no doubt, but I don't think it's like a ritual impurity or anything. If someone wants to hang a nice icon in their bathroom that's fine by me, as long as the icon is secure and safely out of the way of any icky substances. Relatively speaking, people who live in developed nations in the modern day, with indoor plumbing and good hygiene habits, are much cleaner about this sort of thing than people used to be up until recently, and I think that should be taken into account.

I mentioned my occasional gastric upset previously, and in all seriousness I certainly do pray whenever that happens. It's extremely painful... it feels like I swallowed jagged, sharpened metal and glass, then washed it down with some H2SO4. Concentrating on prayer helps mitigate the experience.

However, I don't understand why someone would want to read Scripture or patristics on the toilet. That's what Reader's Digest is for, people! :D

Upvote 0

Ioan cel Nou

Jul 15, 2005
Barnsley, UK
✟16,378.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Politics
UK-Conservative
Matrona said:
For our non-American readers, in American homes we usually keep all the fixtures in one room called the "bathroom": sink, toilet, shower, tub (sometimes the shower and tub are combined).

I'd say that that's pretty much the norm here also. For the sakes of those in Oz, they're talking about the dunny, not just somewhere you might wash.

James

Upvote 0

choirfiend

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Jul 2, 2005
Pennsylvania
✟54,941.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Someone else said it well on another forum...

"Personally, I think all of these things -- the bathroom, burping, undressing, etc. -- are all red herrings. The fundamental and most important question is: "Do I use this Icon in this place for prayer on a regular basis? Does having it hanging here benefit my spiritual life?"

If the answer to either question is no, then one shouldn't have an Icon in that place. Period.

Icons are not decorations, pieces of art, or things we put up all over the place in order to set a mood. They are holy, blessed in the Church, and intended to be used in prayer, meditation, and Scripture reading.

That's not a personal attack on anybody, by the way. I think, in general, many Orthodox in the diaspora have too many Icons and therefore end up treating them as something they are not -- or even without proper respect and prayer. In fact, many people end up throwing all kinds of "Icons" away, e.g. ones printed on bulletins, pamphlets, cards, calendars, because we have gotten so used to just reproducing and using images of Icons on everything! (And are any of these images treated with respect, much less veneration and prayer? If not, why do we make them and buy them?)"

Kathxoumenos said:
"Very interesting. I think, too, that you have hit a nail on the head for me, for I had begun to think of icons as spiritual decorations for an Orthodox or Christian house as well as being an aid to prayer."

So it's a good point to make that icons are NOT spiritual decorations, but always a declaration of the Gospel and Incarnation.

Upvote 0

The Virginian

Sep 15, 2004
✟16,393.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
FallingWaters said:
Hi, I know absolutely nothing about your denomination. I have a curiosity question.

I have been reading a thread in your forum about how someone was going to have some Mormons come over, and a few of the responses mentioned something about ~showing them your icons.

Does everyone in your denomination have a little corner in their home where they display an icon? And what is an icon exactly? And what is the purpose?

Just asking an honest question... not looking for a fight.

Let me ask a question, by way of trying to give an answer. Why do people hav in their homes/rooms posters of their favorite musicans, actors, etc.,?

We honor those who have gone before us in our faith. Not everyone of them has been consecrated by the Church as a "saint", but of those who have been granted this place of special honor, the Church has allowed those recognized as "writers of icons" to represent them in painting. Since saints are alive in Christ forever, the icon is then a window into the reality of heaven. I would much rather have an icon of a saint in my home than a wall full of pics' of entertainment stars

No, as many have no doubt replied, not everryone has a special corner of their home dedicated as an icon /prayer corner.

It's a personal choice to have such a corner. It is both a reminder fo the reallity of the spiritual world, and a statement to guests of the choices you've made.

Upvote 0

Orthocat

Veteran
Jun 8, 2006
✟2,393.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
The Virginian said:
Let me ask a question, by way of trying to give an answer. Why do people hav in their homes/rooms posters of their favorite musicans, actors, etc.,?

We honor those who have gone before us in our faith. Not everyone of them has been consecrated by the Church as a "saint", but of those who have been granted this place of special honor, the Church has allowed those recognized as "writers of icons" to represent them in painting. Since saints are alive in Christ forever, the icon is then a window into the reality of heaven. I would much rather have an icon of a saint in my home than a wall full of pics' of entertainment stars

No, as many have no doubt replied, not everryone has a special corner of their home dedicated as an icon /prayer corner.

It's a personal choice to have such a corner. It is both a reminder fo the reallity of the spiritual world, and a statement to guests of the choices you've made.
Yeah, I had all the posters when I was a teenager.

Just think...if we had a saint that could play a mean guitar!!!
On that note, having icons of saints and even a few relics...does that make me a saint groupie???

(please forgive me - I'm trying to be the first orthodox comedian)

But seriously, having these things also gives you a chance to tell visitors about your faith and orthodoxy. My family is all protestant but they have come to a new understanding from asking about my things, and all of them want the Pantokrator icon. They only think I'm a little weird now...

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Matrona

Lady Godiva Freedom Rider
Aug 17, 2003
USA
Visit site
✟20,668.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
jmbejdl said:
I'd say that that's pretty much the norm here also.

I hope so. I read somewhere that in some of those two-up, two-down terraced homes over there in England (that haven't been totally renovated), the toilet might be located out back, just off the kitchen.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.