Why do you follow Paul and his version of Christ, rather than Christ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

BBAS 64

Contributor
Site Supporter
Aug 21, 2003
New England
✟512,371.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Check out early church history. Paul was not to be included, but he had his followers. His inclusion was to forestall a schism.

The schism happened anyway, 1400 years later. And the Paulians rule the world today.

But the meek shall inherit the earth.

Good Day, Avatar

I would suggest you do the same, history underminds you:

Chrysostom (349-407): As he did also at the outset (ver. 6), being desirous by the witness of the many to establish these also. “Whereof I Paul was made a minister.” This also contributes to make it credible; “I,” saith he, “Paul a minister.” For great was his authority, as being now everywhere celebrated, and the teacher of the world. NPNF1: Vol. XIII, Homilies on the Epistle of St. Paul to the Colossians, Homily 4, Col 1:23.

Chrysostom (349-407): The world’s teacher, blessed Paul, too said, “I would wish myself to be lost to Christ for the sake of my brethren, my kinsmen by race. Fathers of the Church, Vol. 82, Homilies on Genesis 18-45, Homily 29.

Theodoret of Cyrrhus (393-466) calls the Apostle Paul “the great teacher of the world”: Even the great teacher of the world who is wont to style himself last of saints and first of sinners, that he might stop the mouths of liars was compelled to set forth a list of his own labors; and in shewing that this account of his sufferings was of necessity, not of free will, he added “I am become a fool in glorying; ye have compelled me.” NPNF2: Vol. III, Letters of the Blessed Theodoret, Letter 83, 3rd paragraph.

Augustine (354-430): Well then, are we going to say that the apostle Paul did not have all these gifts? Who would dare to say that? After all, by the very fact that he was an apostle, he had the gift of apostleship. But he also had the gift of prophecy. Was this not his prophecy: The Spirit clearly says that in the last days some will fall away from the faith, paying attention to deceiving spirits, to the teaching of demons (1 Tm 6:1), and so on? He was also the teacher of the nations in the faith and in the truth (1 Tm 2:7), and he worked miracles and produced healings. John E. Rotelle, O.S.A., ed., WSA, Answer to the Pelagians, The Punishment and Forgiveness of Sins and the Baptism of Little Ones, The Deeds of Pelagius, Part 1, Vol. 23, 14, 32, trans. Roland J. Teske, S.J., (Hyde Park: New City Press, 1997), p. 357.

Augustine (354-430): It was the apostle, the teacher of the nations, of course, who said, We do not know what we should pray for as we ought (Rom 8:26). He not merely taught this in words; he shows us this by his example. John E. Rotelle, O.S.A., ed., WSA, Answer to the Pelagians, The Punishment and Forgiveness of Sins and the Baptism of Little Ones, The Nature and Origin of the Soul, Part 1, Vol. 23, 9, 13, trans. Roland J. Teske, S.J., (Hyde Park: New City Press, 1997), p. 541.

I would suggest a study of history before making assumptions, of what History teaches.

Peace to u,

Bill

Reactions: edie19
Upvote 0

bradfordl

Veteran
Mar 20, 2006
✟17,608.00
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
Who did I call a heretic?

Never said you did. Simply stating the reason for my own exercise of restraint. Have you decided to bless us with your "version" of the whole counsel of God? Sure hope you do. I know it'll keep you busy for awhile, and I for one look forward to it. :wave:

Upvote 0

edie19

Legend
Site Supporter
Sep 5, 2005
NW Ohio (almost Michigan)
Visit site
✟91,291.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Why do you follow Paul and his version of Christ, rather than Christ?Signed,
Genuinely perplexed

I don't - and don't know anyone who does. I'm a Christian, I follow Christ and His teachings. I have deep respect for Paul - he's an apostle, chosen by God, was inspired by God to write his epistles, serves as an example of one who preached Christ and Him crucified. But I don't follow Paul anymore than I follow John, Matthew, Mark or Peter - oh, but wait - you follow Peter don't you? Hmmm - could that be a double standard on your part? How perplexing.

Upvote 0

Site Supporter
May 26, 2004
Cape Breton
✟740,518.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Conservatives
bradfordl said:
Never said you did. Simply stating the reason for my own exercise of restraint. Have you decided to bless us with your "version" of the whole counsel of God? Sure hope you do. I know it'll keep you busy for awhile, and I for one look forward to it. :wave:

Ah, so you backhandedly called me a heretic in one post, and not a Christian in another. Two rule violations in one thread, way cool dude. :D

Good thing I'm not a report-y type. ;)

Upvote 0

Site Supporter
May 26, 2004
Cape Breton
✟740,518.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Conservatives
BBAS 64 said:
Good Day, Avatar

There is no conflict, you may precieve one but that does not mean one exsists in reality. It may be based on a presumption you bring to the text, instead of allowing the text to speak for it's self.

Peace to u,

Bill

The text speaks for itself when it says that women should have no authority over men and should not teach. It speaks for itself when it says God creates people to be vessels of wrath - created by God with the sole purpose of being damned.

The more I get to know Paul, the more I think Christ would have swatted him upside the head if He'd seen the mysogynostic hateful drivel Paul had added to Christ's great message.

Upvote 0

BBAS 64

Contributor
Site Supporter
Aug 21, 2003
New England
✟512,371.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
The text speaks for itself when it says that women should have no authority over men and should not teach. It speaks for itself when it says God creates people to be vessels of wrath - created by God with the sole purpose of being damned.

The more I get to know Paul, the more I think Christ would have swatted him upside the head if He'd seen the mysogynostic hateful drivel Paul had added to Christ's great message.

Good Day, Avatar

Indeed the text does speak for it self as you have noted here. If you find the infallible Scriptures the basis of the faith to be drivel, then I would suggest you repent in prayer and fasting.

Playing fast and loose with history is one thing, but to do so with Scripture is too much.

The more you think that may be the root of the problem, the mind of the flesh is at emnity against God. You proven that beyond doubt and traded truth for a lie.

I would also remind you you are on a Reformed part of this forum as such you are only to post fellowship posts. Please use caution as you post here as staff action may be taken if you violate the rules of this fourm. If you are unfamilar with the rules I suggest you review them.

For His Golry Alone!!

Bill

Upvote 0

Site Supporter
May 26, 2004
Cape Breton
✟740,518.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Conservatives
BBAS 64 said:
Good Day, Avatar

I would also remind you you are on a Reformed part of this forum as such you are only to post fellowship posts. Please use caution as you post here as staff action may be taken if you violate the rules of this fourm. If you are unfamilar with the rules I suggest you review them.

For His Golry Alone!!

Bill

I am posting in the part of the forum entitled "ask a Calvinist". Am I only to post fellowship posts in this forum? Ask a Calvinist how his family is doing?

By its title this forum invites discussion on Calvinism, doesn't it?

Upvote 0

Imblessed

Reformed Baptist with a Quaker heritage
Aug 8, 2004
Ohio
✟10,256.00
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
I am posting in the part of the forum entitled "ask a Calvinist". Am I only to post fellowship posts in this forum? Ask a Calvinist how his family is doing?

but you haven't discussed "calvinism" at all........:scratch:

Upvote 0

bradfordl

Veteran
Mar 20, 2006
✟17,608.00
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
Ah, so you backhandedly called me a heretic in one post, and not a Christian in another. Two rule violations in one thread, way cool dude. :D

Good thing I'm not a report-y type.
;)

Called you nothing. Statements were rhetorical. Report away. Then please go away. Your position on the Holy Scriptures is indicative of the group of humanity to which you belong (there are only 2), and therefore debate or theological exchange with you is pointless. Please go claw around in the dark somewhere else. :kiss: :wave:

Upvote 0

BBAS 64

Contributor
Site Supporter
Aug 21, 2003
New England
✟512,371.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

Good Day, Avatar

You have asked your question in a round about way. Your answer from this thread has been answered.

You see a conflict between Jesus and Paul, From the reformed prospective there is no conflict. In seeing one it is clear where your problem lies.

Sola Scriptura!!

Bill

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums
Status
Not open for further replies.