Why do you follow Paul and his version of Christ, rather than Christ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

bradfordl

Veteran
Mar 20, 2006
✟17,608.00
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
Are there extra-biblical writings of Paul that I am not aware of that describe a "version" of Christ that is different from the version presented in scripture? Because the version presented by Paul IN SCRIPTURE is the version that is God-breathed. If you are trying to pick what you like of scripture and discard what you don't, you are not a christian, but some invention of your own, are you not?

Upvote 0

Site Supporter
May 26, 2004
Cape Breton
✟740,518.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Conservatives
bradfordl said:
Are there extra-biblical writings of Paul that I am not aware of that describe a "version" of Christ that is different from the version presented in scripture? Because the version presented by Paul IN SCRIPTURE is the version that is God-breathed. If you are trying to pick what you like of scripture and discard what you don't, you are not a christian, but some invention of your own, are you not?

No, I follow Christ's words. I suspect He left nothing for prophets to deliver. What point? He came - the messiah, He delivered His message. What need is there for addition by Paul or any other?

And don't say I'm not a Christian.

Upvote 0

Site Supporter
May 26, 2004
Cape Breton
✟740,518.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Conservatives
UMP said:
There is only one version. You see a conflict between Paul and Christ, I do not.

If there is no conflict, then why are any of Paul's words necessary?

He added to Christ's message, if he did not there would be no need for his input. The messiah came to us. Spoke. Sacrificed Himself for us. And Paul told us the mind of God? Please. As if. What need is there for prophets after the Son of God has come?

Upvote 0

UMP

Aug 16, 2004
✟5,772.00
Faith
Christian

He added to Christ's message, if he did not there would be no need for his input. The messiah came to us. Spoke. Sacrificed Himself for us. And Paul told us the mind of God? Please. As if. What need is there for prophets after the Son of God has come?

We believe that the entire Bible is the inspired word of the God and that there is no conflict.
Believe what you will.

Upvote 0

Site Supporter
May 26, 2004
Cape Breton
✟740,518.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Conservatives
UMP said:
You seem to want to antagonize. By the grace of God, I won't play that game.
By telling you the truth, you claim I'm dodging the question?
So be it.
My answer remains the same and is sufficient.
Goodbye.

Fine. Hopefully someone else will enlighten as to why Paul's additions are necessary to Christ's message.

Go in peace. :hug:

Upvote 0

Imblessed

Reformed Baptist with a Quaker heritage
Aug 8, 2004
Ohio
✟10,256.00
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married

so we should throw out of the bible every book that Paul wrote?

I suspect there is a reason that the books that are canonized in the bible are there. The early church didn't seem to have a problem with Paul's writings...or else they would have left them out of the bible.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Imblessed

Aug 8, 2004
Ohio
✟10,256.00
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
Fine. Hopefully someone else will enlighten as to why Paul's additions are necessary to Christ's message.

Go in peace. :hug:

I suspect that it may be because Jesus knocked Paul off his horse, converted him, and told him to go preach to the gentiles........

but I could be wrong..........;)

Reactions: GrinningDwarf
Upvote 0

Site Supporter
May 26, 2004
Cape Breton
✟740,518.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Conservatives
Imblessed said:
so we should throw out of the bible every book that Paul wrote?

I suspect there is a reason that the books that are canonized in the bible are there. The early church didn't seem to have a problem with Paul's writings...or else they would have left them out of the bible.

Check out early church history. Paul was not to be included, but he had his followers. His inclusion was to forestall a schism.

The schism happened anyway, 1400 years later. And the Paulians rule the world today.

But the meek shall inherit the earth.

Upvote 0

bradfordl

Veteran
Mar 20, 2006
✟17,608.00
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
Calling someone a heretic is against the rules here.

So you only read the red words, right? How elegant. And since there is no claim that Jesus physically wrote any of those words, why do you adhere to them? Why don't you just let His will percolate into your evidently great spiritually intuitive mind and declare to us less blessed folks the whole counsel of God in it's unadulterated form? Maybe you could get started on writing it all down for us, and get back to us when it is completed? We'll miss you, but we can endure for such an important task.

Upvote 0

Imblessed

Aug 8, 2004
Ohio
✟10,256.00
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
Check out early church history. Paul was not to be included, but he had his followers. His inclusion was to forestall a schism.

The schism happened anyway, 1400 years later. And the Paulians rule the world today.

But the meek shall inherit the earth.

:D :D :D

:idea: I have an idea! God is in total control.....and so when the bible was put together, He made sure the right books were included, so that we christians throughout the ages would have The Word such as He wanted us to have it! Gee...what a strange concept........:doh:

Reactions: edie19
Upvote 0

Site Supporter
May 26, 2004
Cape Breton
✟740,518.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Conservatives
bradfordl said:
Calling someone a heretic is against the rules here.

Who did I call a heretic?

I'm pretty sure you called me 'not a Christian'. Is that against the rules? Pretty sure it is.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Site Supporter
May 26, 2004
Cape Breton
✟740,518.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Conservatives
Imblessed said:
:D :D :D

:idea: I have an idea! God is in total control.....and so when the bible was put together, He made sure the right books were included, so that we christians throughout the ages would have The Word such as He wanted us to have it! Gee...what a strange concept........:doh:

Indeed. And since He's taken total control of His message to us that's why we have a thousand denominations of Christianity and many other religions besides. Yup, all because He's delivering His word as He wants us to have it to each and every one of us.

You really might want to think a bit before you post.

Love you anyway. :hug:

Upvote 0

mlqurgw

Aug 19, 2005
kain tuck ee
✟8,844.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Are you going to throw out Peter too? As a Catholic I doubt it. Hre is what Peter had to say concerning Pauls writings:
2Pe 3:15 And account that the longsuffering of our Lord is salvation; even as our beloved brother Paul also according to the wisdom given unto him hath written unto you;
2Pe 3:16 As also in all his epistles, speaking in them of these things; in which are some things hard to be understood, which they that are unlearned and unstable wrest, as they do also the other scriptures, unto their own destruction.

Reactions: GrinningDwarf
Upvote 0

Imblessed

Aug 8, 2004
Ohio
✟10,256.00
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
Indeed. And since He's taken total control of His message to us that's why we have a thousand denominations of Christianity and many other religions besides. Yup, all because He's delivering His word as He wants us to have it to each and every one of us.

actually, it's people who've taken His message and done with it what they like

God gave us the Bible, the way He wanted it....and men are corrupting it. The cannon, INCLUDING Paul's writings...is the way God intended it to be. How we mortals may interpret it, or read it, or understand it...is due to our fallen nature.

(and that includes the Catholic Church)

maybe you should take your own advice and think before you post also.......like think while you read another persons post so you aren't assuming what it meant by it, or projecting something that is NOT meant by it......it sure would save a lot of explanation.....

:kiss: to you to!

You really might want to think a bit before you post

did I mention that that was really funny coming from a person who suggests that we ignore all writings by Paul..........?

Upvote 0

Beoga

Sola Scriptura
Feb 2, 2004
Visit site
✟19,681.00
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Private

The misuse of a tool does not mean the tool is bad, it just means the person is not properly handling it. If someone tries to use a hammer to screw in a tool, the hammer is not a bad tool, the person misusing the hammer is. People mishandling Scripture does not take away Scripture's importance, infallibility, and innerancy.
Can you show me where Paul teaches a different version than Christ? Paul preaches the same message that Christ does. Paul's words in Scripture have the same authority as Christ's words in Scripture because both (their words written in Scripture) are inspired by God who carried these prophets along to write what God intended to have written down.

Upvote 0

BBAS 64

Contributor
Site Supporter
Aug 21, 2003
New England
✟489,871.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Signed,
Genuinely perplexed

Good Day, Avatar

There is no conflict, you may precieve one but that does not mean one exsists in reality. It may be based on a presumption you bring to the text, instead of allowing the text to speak for it's self.

Peace to u,

Bill

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.