What is the primary reason you believe what you believe?

• E. My parents raised me to believe what I believe

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

NBB

Site Supporter
Apr 19, 2013
Uruguay
✟452,402.00
Country
Uruguay
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
When i was 4 or 5 i was at a friend of my mom house, and she invited me to pray giving my life to Jesus, i did.
Later in life i forgot all about it still believed in God because my mom taught me that and i accepted it but ´those things of following God and all that i leave it to when i´m old and tired and rich´ i thought.
When i was 17 i received some money and decided to give the 10 percent to the church. A bit later i found a job that i liked and assumed it was because i gave the money to God.
So i decided to go to church to thank Him.
For my surprise when the service started i was partially filled with the Holy spirit i say partially because in the next service i was fully filled. It was surprised because i didn´t know and believed that God would manifest to people like this!.
So God took seriously my prayer i did when i was 4 or 5.
What a way to know God. And what it implied... that God is alive still intervening in peoples lifes. And the bible became true. I experienced a lot more from God after that but this is how i knew Jesus was real.
Sorry if my english is not very correct, i speak spanish.

Upvote 0

NBB

Site Supporter
Apr 19, 2013
Uruguay
✟452,402.00
Country
Uruguay
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
We don't all call it blind faith. Read through the thread. Apparently my less than 100% certainty makes me a baby Christian. I just want to know how to move into certainty.

Please ask Jesus to fill you with the Holy spirit!. Then you will have a closer friend, certainty, a lot of blessings. Be prepared because he is going to discipline you (work in your life i mean for the better of course) and he is easily offended (very sensitive) and can be grieved and drove away by grave sins (he not totally leaves you if you sin but you can loose the filling and that feels very bad).
He is sensitive, kind, loving, feels very nice and soft and we need his power to live the Christian life!

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Ronald

Exhortations
Site Supporter
Jul 30, 2004
southern
✟111,578.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
I am interested in the fundamental logic for a persons belief system.

For example, if someone tells me they are a Christian, I might ask the question, "So why are you a Christian?".
The person might respond, "Because I believe in Jesus".
I might continue, "And why do you believe in Jesus?".
They may respond, "Because Jesus came onto the earth to live and die for us".
I might ask, "How do you know this is true?".
They might say, "Because the Bible tells me".
I then would ask, "How do you know the Bible is true?".
They may say, "Because it was written by men appointed by God".
I naturally ask, "How do you know these men were appointed by God?".
They would respond, "Because the Bible says they were".
I would rephrase, "So you are a Christian because the authors of a book say they are appointed by God to teach you to be a Christian?".
They might respond, "Yes, because these authors recorded the history of God's interaction with humankind".
I may respond, "So if the Bible was shown to be false, you wouldn't believe in Jesus or God?".

From the above conversation I might conclude that the Bible is the foundation of a Christian's belief system. But this might not be true of all Christians. Some might have their foundations in an experience or the philosophical underpinning of theism etc. I am interested in the absolute foundation of why people believe what they believe.

I would very much appreciate your reasons for belief.

Faith comes by the WORD. God converts the heart and soul of a person. We cannot jumpstart this process by means of logic or knowledge outside of the Bible. The Bible does say that we are without excuse and that God's attributes have been made known to man and manifest within him, yet man suppresses this truth.
God has a list of those whom He shall save, a remnant which works out to be about 1/3 of mankind. There are currently 2.42 billion professing Christians on earth, about 1/3.
None of these people became Christians by some formula, or path of logic.
The Bible says, the beginning of wisdom and knowledge is the FEAR of the LORD.
Fear means to take Him seriously. But since we can't save ourselves, He died for us, fulfilled the Law for us and His Grace became prevalent.
"For by grace you have been saved through faith, and that not of yourselves; it is the gift of God, not of works, lest anyone should boast." Eph. 2:8, 9
So, it defies logic and all understanding outside of what the Bible says.
Faith comes by the Word. The Word has power to transform a person, open up his mind and heart.
God orchestrates events and people that come into an individuals life. They witness, minister and love this person. He draws them to Himself and lifts the veil of blindness. It's beyond human rational thinking or logic. Once you become a Christian, your perspective changes and you begin to see the world differently. This new thinking becomes your logic, because you begin to understand it the way God purposes. Your mind is transformed and enabled to understand, to discern the depths of God.

Upvote 0

faroukfarouk

Fading curmudgeon
Apr 29, 2009
Canada
✟279,058.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Yeah. Because if someone asks "Do you believe in God?" the answer of an agnostic is "I think so, but I'm not completely sure". I would have thought the answer of a believer is "Yes" with 100/100 certainty.

You've said that God showed you this part, how did that come about?
Hebrews 11.6 has a good answer.

Reactions: YouAreAwesome
Upvote 0

Dorothy Mae

May 26, 2018
Canton south of Germany
✟75,214.00
Country
Switzerland
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Hebrews 11.6 has a good answer.
If you quote to an unbeliever it sounds like blind faith. There’s no reason for the hope that is within, just faith in the unseen. They’ll never want to embrace a faith in that which has no basis and won’t stay long if they do.

• Agree
Upvote 0

faroukfarouk

Fading curmudgeon
Apr 29, 2009
Canada
✟279,058.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
If you quote to an unbeliever it sounds like blind faith. There’s no reason for the hope that is within, just faith in the unseen. They’ll never want to embrace a faith in that which has no basis and won’t stay long if they do.
By God's grace unbelievers can be led to trust. Proverbs 3.5-6

Upvote 0

marineimaging

Texas Baptist now living in Colorado
Jul 14, 2014
Ward, Colorado
Visit site
✟90,207.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
I am interested in the fundamental logic for a persons belief system.

For example, if someone tells me they are a Christian, I might ask the question, "So why are you a Christian?".
The person might respond, "Because I believe in Jesus".
I might continue, "And why do you believe in Jesus?".
They may respond, "Because Jesus came onto the earth to live and die for us".
I might ask, "How do you know this is true?".
They might say, "Because the Bible tells me".
I then would ask, "How do you know the Bible is true?".
They may say, "Because it was written by men appointed by God".
I naturally ask, "How do you know these men were appointed by God?".
They would respond, "Because the Bible says they were".
I would rephrase, "So you are a Christian because the authors of a book say they are appointed by God to teach you to be a Christian?".
They might respond, "Yes, because these authors recorded the history of God's interaction with humankind".
I may respond, "So if the Bible was shown to be false, you wouldn't believe in Jesus or God?".

From the above conversation I might conclude that the Bible is the foundation of a Christian's belief system. But this might not be true of all Christians. Some might have their foundations in an experience or the philosophical underpinning of theism etc. I am interested in the absolute foundation of why people believe what they believe.

I would very much appreciate your reasons for belief.
I think the one most important factor to consider is YOUR desire to know the truth. If you don't care or think you have all the answers, you will never find the salvation offered by our Lord. If you honestly, truly seek the truth for your soul, God will provide you the answers you need and the meeting time and place for those who He has ordained to help you on your journey. Otherwise, you will never find the truth or the answers.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Dorothy Mae

May 26, 2018
Canton south of Germany
✟75,214.00
Country
Switzerland
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
We must remember the power of God in opening hearts: "Lydia, a seller of purple, ... whose heart the Lord opened".
And then again there are those whose hearts never opened. Is that God’s fault? Jesus said he stands at the door and knocks. If any man OPEN the door (from the inside) he will come in. Notice Jesus doesn’t break down the door.

Upvote 0

faroukfarouk

Fading curmudgeon
Apr 29, 2009
Canada
✟279,058.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
And then again there are those whose hearts never opened. Is that God’s fault? Jesus said he stand at the door and knocks. If any man OPEN the door (from the inside) he will come in. Notice Jesus doesn’t break down the door.
I do believe that the context of the Lord knocking at the heart in Revelation is communion with the believer.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Dorothy Mae

May 26, 2018
Canton south of Germany
✟75,214.00
Country
Switzerland
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
I do believe that the context of the Lord knocking at the heart in Revelation is communion with the believer.
Doesn’t change anything. Jesus actually said if ANY one, not just if “a believer” opens the door. And if it’s communion, why doesn’t he just come in?

Upvote 0

faroukfarouk

Fading curmudgeon
Apr 29, 2009
Canada
✟279,058.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Doesn’t change anything. Jesus actually said if ANY one, not just if “a believer” opens the door. And if it’s communion, why doesn’t he just come in? Makes no sense.
I do think Ephesians 2.1-10 shows how relying on the Spirit of God is very important.

Upvote 0

Dorothy Mae

May 26, 2018
Canton south of Germany
✟75,214.00
Country
Switzerland
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
I do think Ephesians 2.1-10 shows how relying on the Spirit of God is very important.
Never said it wasn’t but the scripture tells us to be diligent and repent. Doesn’t tell us to rely on the Holy Spirit to make us repent.

Upvote 0