What is the primary reason you believe what you believe?

• E. My parents raised me to believe what I believe

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

YouAreAwesome

☝✌
Oct 17, 2016
Lismore, Australia
✟94,543.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I am interested in the fundamental logic for a persons belief system.

For example, if someone tells me they are a Christian, I might ask the question, "So why are you a Christian?".
The person might respond, "Because I believe in Jesus".
I might continue, "And why do you believe in Jesus?".
They may respond, "Because Jesus came onto the earth to live and die for us".
I might ask, "How do you know this is true?".
They might say, "Because the Bible tells me".
I then would ask, "How do you know the Bible is true?".
They may say, "Because it was written by men appointed by God".
I naturally ask, "How do you know these men were appointed by God?".
They would respond, "Because the Bible says they were".
I would rephrase, "So you are a Christian because the authors of a book say they are appointed by God to teach you to be a Christian?".
They might respond, "Yes, because these authors recorded the history of God's interaction with humankind".
I may respond, "So if the Bible was shown to be false, you wouldn't believe in Jesus or God?".

From the above conversation I might conclude that the Bible is the foundation of a Christian's belief system. But this might not be true of all Christians. Some might have their foundations in an experience or the philosophical underpinning of theism etc. I am interested in the absolute foundation of why people believe what they believe.

I would very much appreciate your reasons for belief.

Doug Melven

Nov 2, 2017
Wyoming
✟83,208.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
For me it started with a personal experience.
Before I was born-again I was an atheist. a friend shared Psalms 19:1 with me and after that everywhere I looked I saw God's handiwork. I could no longer stay in denial of God's existence. And once I knew that God existed I knew I was accountable to Him for the things I had done and was in need of a Savior.
Since then the foundation for my belief is the Word of God.

Upvote 0

Job3315

Apr 21, 2018
United States
✟89,540.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single

For example, if someone tells me they are a Christian, I might ask the question, "So why are you a Christian?".
I would rephrase, "So you are a Christian because the authors of a book say they are appointed by God to teach you to be a Christian?".
They might respond, "Yes, because these authors recorded the history of God's interaction with humankind".
I may respond, "So if the Bible was shown to be false, you wouldn't believe in Jesus or God?".

From the above conversation I might conclude that the Bible is the foundation of a Christian's belief system. But this might not be true of all Christians. Some might have their foundations in an experience or the philosophical underpinning of theism etc. I am interested in the absolute foundation of why people believe what they believe.

My parents became Christians. I heard my dad speaking in tongues all my life. He is one of the most honest people I know, very blunt, he wasn't going to make that up. Still, I wasn't really convinced about God nor I was understanding the Gospel. I dreamt all my life but always thought they were simply dreams. Then one day I started seeking God. I was driving and I was thinking about how much evil there’s in the world. Then I heard a voice say “You believe in evil, yet you don’t believe in good”. That changed my whole perspective, and that's when I realized He was paying attention and talking. After that I started dreaming, opportunities started to appear and my life started to change. Years later I received a revelation of how He left heaven and came to earth and I was able to understand the Gospel. Its been a bumpy ride but He has always been faithful.

My salvation started with seeking Him in faith, I just started seeking God on my own. I didn't want others to tell me about Him, I wanted to meet Him and have my own relationship with Him, eventually it happened. There’s no turning back.

Upvote 0

YouAreAwesome

☝✌
Oct 17, 2016
Lismore, Australia
✟94,543.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I knew I was accountable to Him for the things I had done and was in need of a Savior.

Thank you for responding. Can I ask a question? What made you think you needed a Saviour rather than just thinking you need forgiveness for doing what you believed to be the wrong thing?

Last edited:
Upvote 0

TuxAme

Quis ut Deus?
Site Supporter
Dec 16, 2017
Ohio
✟191,697.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Celibate
A combination. Firstly it's the way I was raised (even if those around me weren't particularly observant). Then I fell away, only to have a "personal experience" in college. Now I believe (in addition to these two) because of the philosophical proofs.

Reactions: YouAreAwesome
Upvote 0

redblue22

You Are Special.
Jan 13, 2012
✟73,841.00
Country
United States
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
You write as if belief were an either/or thing. Real belief comes in degrees. And belief does not boil down to just one reason as you try to demonstrate in your OP.

As a kid I might have believed because of my parents. But I have had many experiences in my life of God. As I became an adult, I questioned a lot--but my questions were answered. I grew in knowledge of what you might call philosophical reasons. The bible meshed well with my experiences.

Finally, your asking "why, why, why" to every and any answer given requires no intellectual work on your part. Anyone can parrot questions like that.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

YouAreAwesome

☝✌
Oct 17, 2016
Lismore, Australia
✟94,543.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
You write as if belief were an either/or thing. Real belief comes in degrees. And belief does not boil down to just one reason as you try to demonstrate in your OP.

Can you explain what you mean about "degrees of belief"? Do you mean a person might believe a little bit but still think that what they believe could be wrong, while others might believe a lot and have very little doubt that what they believe is the truth? And why can't belief boil down to just one reason?

Finally, your asking "why, why, why" to every and any answer given requires no intellectual work on your part. Anyone can parrot questions like that.

I am asking genuine questions, should ask these in another forum? I thought this was the philosophy forum and I could ask questions like these? I'm not trying to be intellectual or "smart", I'm just trying to find some answers to some things I've been thinking about for a good year or so.

Philosophical reasons lead me to God. Once you realise what an orderly universe means in practice, belief in God is the only rational choice.

Okay you hooked me in, what does "an orderly universe mean in practice" and how does it precede belief in God?

Upvote 0

SkyWriting

The Librarian
Site Supporter
Jan 10, 2010
Milwaukee
✟410,948.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others

I believe you exist.
Similarly, I believe God exists.

Upvote 0

Mike Czaj

Site Supporter
Apr 9, 2018
Ashley, PA
✟118,523.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

I began to believe because I cried out to God and experienced His love and forgiveness in response. I had seriously entangled myself in occult practices, and was reaping the chaos and character corruption as a result. I had tried to distance myself from it for some time, but was unsuccessful. Finally in desperation, I pleaded to God for mercy. I didn’t know what would happen. Somewhere along the line in my confusion of beliefs, I had come to think I had the mark of Cain as a result of my heresies, and was unredeemable. I had heard the Christian gospel, but one of my games was to debate Christians and mock and slander them. That night, as I sought God’s mercy, instead of night terrors and oppression, I slept peacefully. When I awoke, I knew forgiveness and deliverance had come upon me, and I was stirred to want to know the God who loved and delivered me. I sought out a girl I knew was a Christian ( I had made her cry the last time we debated) and told her, “I got this thing with God.” She was wise enough by the Holy Spirit to see God had touched me, and guided me into the Scriptures. There I found the true basis of my experience, in the death and resurrection of Jesus, and His new life dwelling in me. Within weeks, I was preaching the promises of the Scriptures, and seeing my mind renewed and my character and conduct being transformed. That was 43 years ago, and it has not ceased. The promises of Scripture have been demonstrated as true in millions of changed lives of those who embrace them, and God continues to bear witness to His truth in me in ways I could not engineer. A little over a year ago, I felt a burden for people entangled in addiction. I tried connecting with them, but couldn’t find a way to relate. I wasn’t interested in preaching at them, I remember how that felt! Then I heard about a house church of recovering believers, and I knew the host, and felt he could be my bridge to understanding. I went, and saw an enthusiastic ( if a little wild and bruised) group of people sharing their lives and struggles, and began to participate. Within a month, they asked me to take over the Bible teaching/discussion leading. It is my joy to still be serving them.

Upvote 0

Doug Melven

Nov 2, 2017
Wyoming
✟83,208.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Thank you for responding. Can I ask a question? What made you think you needed a Saviour rather than just thinking you need forgiveness for doing what you believed to be the wrong thing?
If God existed, which I now believe He does, then that God would have to be holy and there would be no way for me pay for my own sin. Thus I needed a Savior.
And the man who witnessed to me I knew he had something I did not, he had the truth.
All of the so called gods, like the Greek and Roman gods to me were always silly.
Some people like to just say they believe, but they don't have a solid foundation to back up that belief.
Whether or not that was the OP's intent, to me we should always know what we believe and why we believe it and be able to give an answer for the hope that is within us.

Upvote 0

Chinchilla

May 31, 2018
Warsaw
✟30,919.00
Country
Poland
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private

People believe because God call us with Holy Spirit and we respond to gospel calling back on him , that's actually the only reason because we can't believe without faith and faith is gift from God .

Personally somebody just preached to me the gospel 1 Corinthians 15:1-4 , Ephesians 2:8-9 , Ephesians 1:13-14 , 1 Peter 1:18-19 and i accepted Jesus as my payment for sin.

God said every human knows that God exist and alredy had proof

For the wrath of God is revealed from heaven against all ungodliness and unrighteousness of men, who hold the truth in unrighteousness;

Because that which may be known of God is manifest in them; for God hath shewed it unto them.

20 For the invisible things of him from the creation of the world are clearly seen, being understood by the things that are made, even his eternal power and Godhead; so that they are without excuse:

But you need preacher who will tell you about the good news so you can "answer you call " when God is trying to call you :happyblush:

13 For whosoever shall call upon the name of the Lord shall be saved.

14 How then shall they call on him in whom they have not believed? and how shall they believe in him of whom they have not heard? and how shall they hear without a preacher?

15 And how shall they preach, except they be sent? as it is written, How beautiful are the feet of them that preach the gospel of peace, and bring glad tidings of good things!

So every person is without excuse and is lying to themselfes most of the time because they want to hide thier sins so they brainwash themselfes to not believe holding on towards thier "secret" sins but every time they make truth statement , they invoke God and his moral values to do so .

Jesus said he is the truth , he not only died for sins but he has proven us that truth exists because without truth we could only be like robots , our reactions would be caused by chemicals reacting with each other in our brains and sending impulses to our muscles . We would never be able to discernt anything or even think without God that's why Jesus said " without me ye can do nothing " john 15:5 .

For example , if your were only build of atoms , you would not be able to be scared of death because your brain would only learn on past experiences to predict future ones just like computer , it would assume that since every time something dies it's not you then you will never die . But you know that you are not computer but soul inside of body having free will . So even tho you are experiencing things happening in this world you still have God's law in your hearth and you want to go back to him or be restored .

Of course there are proofs , God said that he will prophecy things to come so when they come you will know that he is God . Jesus fullfilled about 300 something prophecy from Old Testament plus all these eyewitness when he rose from the dead . No man could fullfill prophecy like he did so we know who Jesus was .

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

redblue22

You Are Special.
Jan 13, 2012
✟73,841.00
Country
United States
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
Some people like to just say they believe, but they don't have a solid foundation to back up that belief.
Whether or not that was the OP's intent, to me we should always know what we believe and why we believe it and be able to give an answer for the hope that is within us.

Having reasons one believes is good, but not everyone who believes can articulate those reasons.

Upvote 0

Doug Melven

Nov 2, 2017
Wyoming
✟83,208.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Having reasons one believes is good, but not everyone who believes can articulate those reasons.
Exactly, but we should be able. 1 Peter 3:15
If we can't answer here on a forum where we have time to gather our thoughts before writing them out, how will we fare when confronted by someone or witnessing to someone?

Upvote 0

redblue22

You Are Special.
Jan 13, 2012
✟73,841.00
Country
United States
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
Exactly, but we should be able. 1 Peter 3:15
If we can't answer here on a forum where we have time to gather our thoughts before writing them out, how will we fare when confronted by someone or witnessing to someone?

The reason for my hope is God Jesus, not a philosophical argument.

Upvote 0

Doug Melven

Nov 2, 2017
Wyoming
✟83,208.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
The reason for my hope is God Jesus, not a philosophical argument.
Philisophical arguments are worthless.
But how do you respond when your faith in Jesus is questioned?
What about when a fellow believer is beginning to have doubts about what he believes?
How do you know the Bible is true?

Upvote 0

YouAreAwesome

☝✌
Oct 17, 2016
Lismore, Australia
✟94,543.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
If God existed, which I now believe He does, then that God would have to be holy

Can you expand on this? Why must God be holy?

I believe you exist.
Similarly, I believe God exists.

In what ways do you see these as corresponding? I believe a thing exists because of the sight, touch, smell, sound or perhaps some other evidence I can interact with -- how can this be applied to God?

Upvote 0