Why do we have dreams, and do they have meaning?

Aaron112

Dec 19, 2022
TULSA
✟53,912.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
In Relationship
It is possible to have a dream specifically influenced by the Creator and/or Jesus.
It is likely much more common to have dream or vision
from something else, whether simply one's own self/the flesh/brain/ mind.
Also Always "test the spirits"/ test all messages that come from anywhere, anytime, on a forum or in person, from a person or as if from an angel.
Don't accept/believe any message unless first known and proven truth in line with all Scripture. God never , no never, contradicts Himself nor is contrary to His Own Word.
Search "dream" or "vision" in biblegateway or in blueletterbible or biblehub or other as possible.

Upvote 0

Maria Billingsley

Site Supporter
Oct 7, 2018
Martinez
✟907,224.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Hi, all.
I am wondering if our dreams are influenced by the Lord? Do they have some important meaning? Are there any passages in the bible that explore this?
Thank you all.
Welcome to CF. I believe dreams are too infuenced by our flesh however, if there was a dream by our Father He will surely make His message clear. Blessings.

Upvote 0

tturt

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Oct 30, 2006
✟798,682.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
'And it shall come to pass in the last days, saith God, I will pour out of my Spirit upon all flesh: and your sons and your daughters shall prophesy, and your young men shall see visions, and your old men shall dream dreams:" Acts 2:17

Upvote 0

Ceallaigh

May God be with you and bless you.
Site Supporter
Oct 2, 2020
✟608,427.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Well we know from scripture that God does sometimes speak to people by way of their dreams. Like the prophetic dreams of Joseph for example. But I think for the most part dreams are just random thoughts with no meaning.

I personally don't really remember my dreams. But the vauge recollections I do have of them tell me they are based on something that recently occurred in real life or on something I watched on TV. Like I might dream about making posts on CF.

Upvote 0

splish- splash

Team- Early Interventions
Dec 2, 2019
✟225,571.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
God would sometimes deliver prophecies & messages to his servants through dreams, in the bible. I do believe God can communicate with us this way if He feels the need.

Upvote 0

splish- splash

Team- Early Interventions
Dec 2, 2019
✟225,571.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
I believe the enemy can also infiltrate somehow, inorder to deceive God's children. It's when we claim to have received messages from God & yet our messages do not seem to line up with God's word, that it becomes an issue.

Some people have even written books, whilst claiming to have received night visions from God & a whole lot yet the word of God is not in agreement with what they've written...

Anyone can easily get deceived I believe.

Upvote 0

ViaCrucis

Confessional Lutheran
Oct 2, 2011
Pacific Northwest
✟732,617.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Others
God certainly has used dreams to communicate things to people in the past. But we should not assume that our dreams hold any special meaning.

Can God use dreams? Yes.
But 99.99999999999999999999...% of the time we can be pretty sure that a dream is just a dream is just a dream.

If a dream offers you encouragement in Christ, then give thanks to God.
If a dream causes you to worry or doubt, then do not, it's just a dream.

In all things trust in Jesus.

-CryptoLutheran

Upvote 0

Bobber

Feb 10, 2004
✟216,988.00
Faith
Non-Denom
I have dreams periodically where I know that it's a dream. Find those interesting. Usually I'm where I used to work for over 30 years and it dawns on me, "Look this isn't real. It can't be I'm retired" So I say to myself I'm not doing this work and I walk down the line. I remember seeing this post and saying I'm going to put my hand on it and see if I can actually feel it. And I could.

Upvote 0

EverydayBread

Aug 9, 2021
Uusimaa
✟30,755.00
Country
Finland
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I believe it is very possible, because God speaks to us in different ways. During dreaming we are most available, not by our phones, doing work or studying or being distracted....

Personally I feel that God has spoken to me due to few dreams in my lifetime. Maybe you feel this way too? If you have doubts, ask Him, for we have God that wants to be in a connection with every one us.

But it is important to remember that not every dream is from God. Dreams can be very confusing and weird, not making any sense. Overemphasizing over those kinds of dreams is not useful, because God speaks very clearly, if He wants to. But sometimes, like in the story of Joseph and Daniel, where they interpreted dreams, those dreams were very symbolic. So it is not always black and white either.

Job 33:14-17
14 For God may speak in one way, or in another, yet man does not perceive it.
15 In a dream, in a vision of the night, when deep sleep falls upon men, while slumbering on their beds,
16 then He opens the ears of men, and seals their instruction.
17 In order to turn man from his deed, and conceal pride from man...

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums