Why do some Christians defend 2nd amend over lives?

Status
Not open for further replies.

miamited

Ted
Site Supporter
Oct 4, 2010
Seneca SC
✟705,807.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Hi CWB,

Apparently with age comes forgetfulness, also. I just googled it and apparently it was 'this is my rifle, this is my gun'.

Anyway, for kingskid I post this video so that he will be aware of why I posted what I did.

God bless you.
In Christ, Ted

Upvote 0

classicalhero

Jun 9, 2013
Perth,Western Australia
✟11,338.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
AU-Liberals
Reactions: SpunkyDoodle
Upvote 0

miamited

Ted
Site Supporter
Oct 4, 2010
Seneca SC
✟705,807.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Hi mudinyeri,

You responded:
I can't ever recall hearing an individual weapon called a firearm during my time in the Army and I served on several inter-service teams.

No, firearm is a designation that I prefer over weapon to differentiate a device that discharges a round verses holding a club in your hand. I use firearm to also ensure that I am including all such weapons. A lot of folks, if you say 'gun', think of just pistols and smaller firearms, but don't consider it the proper term for rifles or semi-auto or auto loading weapons. So, I choose to use firearm which, as I say, encompasses any weapon that discharges any type of round or shot.

God bless you.
In Christ, Ted

Upvote 0

Circle Christ

TrueLuv: Jesus died-4-U Knowing you may not care
Feb 25, 2016
Missionary
✟2,411.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
That question before was just a 'reminder' to others that we don't count on the 1st nor the 2nd Amendments, nor on man's laws,
but on God.
Because someone had just suggested that you should think like they do because they 'protected' the 1st Amendment for you , or something like that.

OR, are you obligated to them, because they protected(if they did) your 1st Amendment Rights or anything at all, actually ?
(I don't think you nor we are obligated to them, as their values are totally different,
but I wanted to verify, with a positive expectation)
Please post the Biblical passages that support your position verbatim. Thank you.

Reactions: SpunkyDoodle
Upvote 0

Circle Christ

TrueLuv: Jesus died-4-U Knowing you may not care
Feb 25, 2016
Missionary
✟2,411.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Because we are under commandment to "subdue" the earth (which Christ did not cancel). Genesis 1:28
Subdue? As we understand the word?
How's that working out for the human species so far?

Reactions: aieyiamfu
Upvote 0

Mudinyeri

May 4, 2016
Nebraska
✟11,923.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
No, firearm is a designation that I prefer over weapon to differentiate a device that discharges a round verses holding a club in your hand. I use firearm to also ensure that I am including all such weapons. A lot of folks, if you say 'gun', think of just pistols and smaller firearms, but don't consider it the proper term for rifles or semi-auto or auto loading weapons. So, I choose to use firearm which, as I say, encompasses any weapon that discharges any type of round or shot.

God bless you.
In Christ, Ted

I think you missed my point entirely. Bolo badge for you.

Upvote 0

miamited

Ted
Site Supporter
Oct 4, 2010
Seneca SC
✟705,807.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I think you missed my point entirely. Bolo badge for you.

Hi mudinyeri,

Likely. Thanks for the new badge, my old one was getting rather tarnished.

God bless you.
In Christ, Ted

Reactions: Circle Christ
Upvote 0

Aldebaran

NCC-1701-A
Christian Forums Staff
Purple Team - Moderator
Site Supporter
Oct 17, 2009
Wisconsin, United States of America
✟652,767.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Hi rhamiel,

Timothy McVeigh did it with fertilizer. I rather imagine that if our government were ever to become tyrannical in nature, although as has been pointed out that's a pretty far fetched possibility with the form of government that we have, bombs would work much better and efficiently than firearms.

That might be fine for committing terrorist acts in order to kill people in an offensive way, but you need firearms in order to respond in a defensive way.

Upvote 0

SepiaAndDust

There's a FISH in the percolator
May 6, 2012
Mid-America
✟26,546.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
To answer the OP: Because lives are fleeting, while a foundation of recognized rights is for the ages.

Rights trump lives. Otherwise, rights wouldn't be worth defending with lives.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Aldebaran

NCC-1701-A
Christian Forums Staff
Purple Team - Moderator
Site Supporter
Oct 17, 2009
Wisconsin, United States of America
✟652,767.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
I don't have to shoot the guns to see clearly what they do when they are used to kill people.

But it does sound like your life will actually have to be physically threatened someday before you realize the importance of being able to defend yourself. Hopefully, you'll either not have to experience that, or you'll come to an understanding that you may need to use a gun to defend yourself and not hide behind the idea that if you don't have one, then you're somehow safe from evildoers who do have one and intend to do you harm.

Upvote 0

SpunkyDoodle

Jun 22, 2016
Florida
✟1,914.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
I just googled it and apparently it was 'this is my rifle, this is my gun'.
Yes, and that is the most expensive rifle ever put in the hands of an enlisted man in the US Military! Standard price 25 years ago was $1000. Not sure about the price in the early 1950s, when they were used in the Korean War. Used by some in the Vietnam War, as seen in your clip.

Upvote 0

graceandpeace

Episcopalian
Sep 12, 2013
✟22,175.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Democrat
To answer the OP: Because lives are fleeting, while a foundation of recognized rights is for the ages.

Rights trump lives. Otherwise, rights wouldn't be worth defending with lives.

I understand wanting to protect rights, but I do not accept the notion of unlimited rights. In other words, read the OP again. What I actually advocate for is reasonable gun control measures, which is a limitation of a right, not its removal.

Even so, Jesus does call us to turn the other cheek, & to lay down our lives, & says the peacemakers are blessed, etc. None of his sayings or teachings imply our own wants, even rights, are more important than fellow human beings made in God's image, whom we are supposed to love.

Reactions: chandraclaws
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums
Status
Not open for further replies.