Why do some Christians defend 2nd amend over lives?

Status
Not open for further replies.

graceandpeace

Episcopalian
Sep 12, 2013
✟22,175.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Democrat
Why do some followers of the Prince of Peace think it is more important to protect the right of someone to buy an assault rifle than it is to protect the rights of people to not be shot by a stranger?

http://m.huffpost.com/us/entry/10440698.html?yptr=yahoo

I once again find myself asking this sort of question. I support some gun ownership - for hunting, for sport. But some guns just should not be available to civilians. It is mind boggling to me that so many - including some Christians - can not admit this to be true.

The problem is not with any one ideology or religion or even mental illness; the problem is with us. Until we, as fellow Americans, can stand up & petition for something to change - to "fight the good fight" - we will continue on this path where mass shootings are the norm. How can we be shocked when these things happen, at an elementary school or a church or a club? Until things change, these mass shootings will continue. Any one of us could be the victim.

My personal plea? Pray, of course, but not just pray. Act.

Write your senator, your representative. Donate, campaign. Whatever you think you should do. Let's be peacemakers.

Abraxos

Nemo vir est qui mundum non reddat meliorem.
Jan 12, 2016
New Zealand
✟69,315.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
WhVohoI.png

XHCzItO.png

Upvote 0

Autumnleaf

Legend
Jun 18, 2005
✟33,297.00
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
Recently and alligator killed a toddler at Disney World. The father tried to save the kid but couldn't stop it. If he had a gun the kids would probably still be alive.

Recently a Muslim guy shot up a night club in Florida and killed 49 people. If one or two of the people at the club had a gun they might have stopped him.

If you make guns illegal then law abiding citizens won't have them. Guns are illegal in Paris. The Muslims who attacked Paris November 2015 had guns and used them. Blaming guns is stupid. The people to blame are politicians who import immigrants who want to use guns, bombs or box cutters to kill us.

Upvote 0

graceandpeace

Episcopalian
Sep 12, 2013
✟22,175.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Democrat
Recently and alligator killed a toddler at Disney World. The father tried to save the kid but couldn't stop it. If he had a gun the kids would probably still be alive.

Not at all likely.

It is not easy to kill an alligator with a gun: a person would have to be in very close range, & would also have to be an excellent marksman, given there is only a very small area where the shot must hit to be effective. Couple this with the strength & quick speed of the alligator, & it's highly unlikely the average gun owner is going to be taking the animal down. (Let's also not forget that firing at the alligator would've greatly risked shooting the child, without likely killing the alligator at all.)

Recently a Muslim guy shot up a night club in Florida and killed 49 people. If one or two of the people at the club had a gun they might have stopped him.

Also, not at all likely.

Besides the fact that it was dark & crowded in the club (& therefore firing bullets would've been risky for all involved), simulations have shown that an average gun owner confronting an active shooter is not likely to end well.

http://www.vox.com/policy-and-politics/2015/12/11/9891664/daily-show-mass-shootings

If you make guns illegal then law abiding citizens won't have them.

The OP does not call for guns to be illegal.

Guns are illegal in Paris. The Muslims who attacked Paris November 2015 had guns and used them. Blaming guns is stupid. The people to blame are politicians who import immigrants who want to use guns, bombs or box cutters to kill us.

To my knowledge, virtually all of the recent mass shootings in the US have involved US born citizens, not immigrants. The shooter in the Orlando massacre was a US born citizen.

Upvote 0

High Fidelity

Site Supporter
Feb 9, 2014
✟904,775.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Private

The issue, in my opinion, is that many others' belief is that the first reaction is a gun and not preventative methods.

Consider a home and its defence; personally I consider it illogical, irresponsible even, to own a gun for self-defence and not a preventative security method that will, in most cases, rule out the necessity to use your firearm in anger or self-defence against a home intruder. A home alarm that's visible from the exterior of the property will likely mean would-be burglars will move on to an unsecured property and dramatically lower the risk of needing to use your firearm.

Similarly, operating bases in war zones have preventative measures too and don't rely on the "well if they get in it's okay because I've got my gun" mentality.

The best defence in most cases is proactive, not reactive.

The first reaction shouldn't just be to reach for a gun. Many events can be avoided altogether by proactive defence against ill-use and that's where legislation should come in. Bans aren't necessary but neither are extreme opinions of either "leave it as it is" or "ban them all". There can be middle-ground and people need to stop being so proud as to 'let the other side win' by making concessions in the interests of the greater good, because it means they lose face.

Clearly something is wrong. More can be done and guns, as with many things, should have legislative safeguards and enforcement, representative of the risk they pose, to both encourage firearms owners to practice the great responsibility that accompanies the great power they're given with firearms, or punishment for those that neglect that responsibility.

Banning may not be the best option and in my opinion it isn't, but neither is leaving it as it is.

Both sides of the argument need to leave their emotions and arrogance at the door and have an adult conversation.

Upvote 0

Albion

Facilitator
Dec 8, 2004
✟583,842.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Why do some followers of the Prince of Peace think it is more important to protect the right of someone to buy an assault rifle than it is to protect the rights of people to not be shot by a stranger?

Most of us would say that we think both are important. OK?

Reactions: Darkhorse
Upvote 0

Born Again2004

May 10, 2016
Texas
✟8,723.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
It is right to have some common sense gun control but, as long as it never becomes at the expense of the "law" abiding citizen. Because we are evermore in a Godless society and the "Zombies" continue to come; with the 2nd Amendment, I still have a fighting chance of protecting my family!

Upvote 0

brinny

everlovin' shiner of light in dark places
Site Supporter
Mar 23, 2004
✟1,343,306.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Constitution

Sensible and wise.

Reminds me of the part of a movie "Love's Long Journey" where very pregnant Missy is confronted along with her family by callous and heartless thieves.

Starting at 5:38

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

yeshuaslavejeff

simple truth, martyr, disciple of Yahshua
Jan 6, 2005
okie
✟214,996.00
Faith
Anabaptist
Things not spoken are often the things most important.
A few years ago, people, including national investigative reporters (maybe like NPR, 60 minutes, etc) looked into what things the shooters at all the schools had in common.
It was IMMEDIATELY quashed.(Still is as far as I know) (no, don't ask) (the penalty potentially includes censorship and being banned)

Upvote 0

tolly

Sep 23, 2006
Oregon
✟16,968.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican

I once again find myself asking this sort of question. I support some gun ownership - for hunting, for sport. But some guns just should not be available to civilians. It is mind boggling to me that so many - including some Christians - can not admit this to be true.

The problem is not with any one ideology or religion or even mental illness; the problem is with us. Until we, as fellow Americans, can stand up & petition for something to change - to "fight the good fight" - we will continue on this path where mass shootings are the norm. How can we be shocked when these things happen, at an elementary school or a church or a club? Until things change, these mass shootings will continue. Any one of us could be the victim.

Write your senator, your representative. Donate, campaign. Whatever you think you should do. Let's be peacemakers.

Upvote 0

tolly

Sep 23, 2006
Oregon
✟16,968.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
I don't believe anyone stands for the 2nd Amendment over, or instead of, standing for life. I support the amendment because it is a right which was granted to we citizens under the Constitution (as amended). It (the amendment) is not the direct or proximate cause of the end of any person's life. People are murdered by guns, die by accidental firearm wounds, commit suicide by use of a gun, or are killed by guns under lawful circumstances. In none of these events was the 2nd Amendment responsible.

How is it possible that, especially under the circumstances which we find ourselves in these days, the repeal of the 2nd Amendment, or, as some have suggested, the confiscation of firearms is reasonable? And if the 2nd Amendment is to be discarded, why not the 6th Amendment, or the 8th? These amendments have many flaws as well, but we maintain them notwithstanding those flaws, because they serve noble purposes when needed to protect the innocent and the oppressed. The 2nd Amendment serves the people in the same way.

Upvote 0

yeshuaslavejeff

simple truth, martyr, disciple of Yahshua
Jan 6, 2005
okie
✟214,996.00
Faith
Anabaptist
Strange to say on a "Christian" forum.
Jesus said "I Am Sending you out AS SHEEP in the midst of ravenous wolves....."
and He
further showed by His Own Life,
and all His Training of the Disciples
what to do and what not to do, and who to trust (the Father) and who not to trust (anyone else),
who to depend on (the Father) and who not to depend on (ones self, or the flesh, in any way).

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

kingskid

Kid of the Most High
Jan 19, 2002
VA
✟1,916.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I will copy and paste my answer from the gun control thread.

I'm against gun control because I'm against limits on human creative processes because of a bad guy. Limiting gun manufacturing when the bad guy could have easily built a bomb from a pressure cooker? Picking one manufacturer over the other to limit is an assault to freedom out of fear! We as Christian know where fear comes from.

Sent from my RCT6303W87DK using Tapatalk

Upvote 0

Albion

Facilitator
Dec 8, 2004
✟583,842.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Strange to say on a "Christian" forum.
Jesus said "I Am Sending you out AS SHEEP in the midst of ravenous wolves....."
No one is requiring a person to be prepared to defend himself. If your version of Christianity calls for you to sacrifice yourself to some lunatic assassin, you are free to do so.

When the situation turns to defending SOMEONE ELSE, however, you don't have much of an argument.

In addition, we're talking about the laws of this country, not to the precepts of a church. These laws apply to everyone, not just to Christians. To take away the rights of everyone is not defensible (and it's also not Christian).

Upvote 0

dude99

Apr 12, 2014
✟40,407.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Single

Well as an outsider I do not understand this as well. Also the Orlando killer was able to legally able to purchase the semi automatic rifle too In my country that is illegal. I live in Australia and there has not been any mass killings by guns since there was stricter gun laws introduced in 1997 not long after the Port Arthur mass shootings.

Last edited:
Reactions: graceandpeace
Upvote 0

Albion

Facilitator
Dec 8, 2004
✟583,842.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Well as an outsider I do not understand this as well.
We've been around this bush already and I'm still wondering why it's said that anyone values the 2nd amendment above the rights of people not to be shot. Who says that?

Reactions: Mudinyeri
Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.