Why do so many Pentecostal churches tithe?

Status
Not open for further replies.

probinson

Legend
Aug 16, 2005
PA
Visit site
✟135,618.00
Country
United States
Faith
Word of Faith
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Malachi 3:10
Bring the whole tithe into the storehouse, that there may be food in my house. Test me in this," says the LORD Almighty, "and see if I will not throw open the floodgates of heaven and pour out so much blessing that you will not have room enough for it.

Upvote 0

flaglady

Site Supporter
Jul 12, 2005
✟64,796.00
Faith
Word of Faith
Marital Status
Private
seekthetruth909 said:
Why do so many Pentecostal churches tithe?

I wasn't aware this was a particularly Pentecostal thing. The bible says to tithe. I've been in several different types of church over the years, they all expect their members to tithe and some do, more freely than others!

Upvote 0

Tenebrae

A follower of The Way
Sep 30, 2005
floating in the ether, never been happier
Visit site
✟33,648.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Private
Alot of churches teach the whole "Give and God will bless you routine". God will bless you if you give, however Gods blessings are not just limited to whether someone tithes.

I dont have an issue giving and tithing, I think its a good thing to support ones local church, and the bible certainly advocates it however I do believe it needs to be balanced

Upvote 0

flaglady

Site Supporter
Jul 12, 2005
✟64,796.00
Faith
Word of Faith
Marital Status
Private
wizeone said:
I dont have an issue giving and tithing, I think its a good thing to support ones local church, and the bible certainly advocates it however I do believe it needs to be balanced
I don't "support the church" per se, I give of my fruit to God because it is His in the first place - I am just the steward of it. I see that as my duty as a servant of God. The church might use it for maintainance of the building, buying goods for the drop-in centre or sending funds to overseas missions. It's all the same to me.

seekthetruth909 said:
I believe Pentecostals are the only denomination that has universal tithing but I could be wrong
And you would be!;) ;) In the UK (obviously can't speak for anywhere else!^_^ ) I have attended Anglican high and low church, Catholic, Methodist and Baptist and they all call for tithing.

Upvote 0

talitha

Cultivate Honduras
Nov 5, 2004
Tegucigalpa, Honduras
Visit site
✟22,601.00
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
My father used to be a United Methodist Minister. After I left home, I started going to Episcopalean churches and was confirmed. Then I migrated over to a Southern Baptist[-icostal] church (that was a difficult move but definitely Spirit-led), then to an AOG church, later to a Mennonite church, and finally to non-denominational.

I have never, ever been a part of a church that did not encourage tithing - because of the reasons people have already stated.

Personally, I believe it's ideal to be completely led by the Holy Spirit in our giving, as in everything else. The Law comes in when for whatever reason we are not hearing God, and in the case of giving to the church, the Law is tithing. In many cases, I think the Holy Spirit would lead us to give more than ten per cent.

blessings
tal

Upvote 0

seekthetruth909

Veteran
Dec 14, 2005
✟16,813.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Link to Pentecostal pastor with article on tithing:

http://www.thegraceproject.com/Articles/The%20Tithing%20Controversy-%20No%20laughing%20Matter.htm

I am a new Pentecostal because I believe in the power of The Holy Spirit.

I just don't understand why we cannot reply on The Holy Spirit to give us a generous heart. The Holy Spirit has the power to change us in all aspects, so why do we need to fall back on the Old legalistic Law when it comes to giving?

God owns %100 of everything and if we are blessed with abundance we should give much more than 10%.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Kriegermädchen

Veteran
Jan 23, 2005
California
✟16,573.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
I have attended an Assemblies of God church my entire life. My pastor, and therefore the church as well, firmly believes in tithing. He believes that it is something we are called to do (much like being baptized in water after you've become a believer).

Personally I see it this way, you can never go wrong giving money to God. Even if it puts you at a disadvantage here on earth, you're storing up treasures in Heaven.

Upvote 0

EmeraldLily

Sep 13, 2005
WHERE IT'S COLD!!!
✟8,298.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
During membership classes pastor put it this way- It is a general # to help you be in the habbit- left to your own devices you may forget- and it could be more or maybe a bit less but the 10% is mentioned in scripture in old and new testament-so why not?
Makes sense to me....
Same with communion- we do it every month so that we take the time to reflect on it at least that once monthly-because left on our own we may do less. (not like you're planning your grocery list while holding the bread/juice-it's an effective tool to help us focus)

Upvote 0

Tenebrae

A follower of The Way
Sep 30, 2005
Visit site
✟33,648.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Private
Kriegermädchen said:
Personally I see it this way, you can never go wrong giving money to God. Even if it puts you at a disadvantage here on earth, you're storing up treasures in Heaven.
Yea however giving money isnt the only way of storing up treasures in heaven

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

SpokenTriumph

Dec 21, 2005
Visit site
✟128.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Pentecostals are spirit-led, and the Spirit would have a willing vessel tithe. God has given us the ability to do as we wish with the money that He first allowed us to have...and I believe that we should bless Him in return as a sign of obedience unto Him...and to further the Kingdom. While there are many reasons why we tithe....God said...and that's the reason why:sorry:

Upvote 0

ChaseinChrist

The LORD's Annointed
Sep 18, 2005
South Carolina
✟478.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
wizeone said:

Just to clarify:
When you tithe, you aint really supporting the community church, as much as giving 10% of your earnings to GOD so that he can use it for what ever he may.:)

Upvote 0

Tenebrae

A follower of The Way
Sep 30, 2005
Visit site
✟33,648.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Private
ChaseinChrist said:
Just to clarify:
When you tithe, you aint really supporting the community church, as much as giving 10% of your earnings to GOD so that he can use it for what ever he may.:)
IN refernece where one sould give their tithe....... Our pastors say it should be the local church, for the most part it is for me. However have had times when that money has gone to another situation where it has been needed

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.