Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
If you’re expecting a marriage proposal pretty soon and your partner starts to sink to one knee, you should check to see if their shoe is untied. If it’s not, steel yourself for a certain yes-or-no question.

In addition to being a handy heads-up, kneeling to propose presumably has roots in some age-old historical practice—or a combination of several. As MarthaStewart.com points out, people have been genuflecting (derived from Latin for “bending the knee”) to show respect or reverence for thousands of years. It may have originated in the Persian Empire, when proper salutations depended on societal rank. “In the case where one is a little inferior to the other, the kiss is given on the cheek,” Greek historian Herodotus observed in Persia around 430 BCE. “Where the difference of rank is great, the inferior prostrates himself upon the ground.”

This greeting system, known as proskynesis, was adopted by Alexander the Great when he took over the empire a century later, and some historians believe that genuflection was part of it. Many of Alexander’s existing Greek and Macedonian subjects disapproved of the new ritual, thinking such gestures should be reserved for gods, so not everybody acquiesced.

Continued below.
Why Do People Propose on One Knee?

Darkhorse

just horsing around
Aug 10, 2005
mid-Atlantic
Visit site
✟288,141.00
Country
United States
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
I didn't - I was standing up on both feet.

I regarded my wife as an equal, not a goddess to be adored, or myself as subservient.

She kept her last name, I kept mine, and we're both very happy after 30 years of marriage. :)

Reactions: Michie
Upvote 0

JohnD70X7

Feb 10, 2021
Southwest
✟56,324.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
My guess is it actually is a tradition of a fad expressing sincerity / submission in a noble way. I'm thinking of the portrait of President George Washington praying to God kneeling on one knee. In reality. he knelt on both knees before a chair on which he placed an open Bible. He often prayed from Bible reading two hours every morning and two hours every night.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Michie

Site Supporter
Feb 5, 2002
Woods
✟4,671,792.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Because black lives matter!

Sorry, couldnt resist. :muahah:

I didn't get on one knee. I just told her she was my wife and then we got married.

I've been domineering her ever since. :congratm:
Domineering? Lol

Upvote 0

Toro

Oh, Hello!
Jan 27, 2012
You don't get to stalk me. :|
✟338,520.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Domineering? Lol
Yes, Ive been called that on CF so it is a badge I wear with honor.

A badge that always makes my wife laugh.... but only for as long as I allow for laughter... then I demand silence. :nowords:

• Haha
Reactions: Michie
Upvote 0