driewerf

a day at the Zoo
Mar 7, 2010
✟262,647.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
It doesn't help that atheist humanists have glommed onto evolution as a 'proof' that Christianity is false, nor that creationists have glommed onto creationism as an essential dogma of their religion in an anti-scientific frenzy. Both polar extremes exclude the rational middle.
I have yet to see the first atheist to make such a claim. On the contrary, most atheists posting on discussion board insist that acceptance of the ToE and god/christianity are NOT mutually exclusive (and cite people like Francis Collins, Kenneth Miller, different popes etc as example).
What a lot of (Youtube)-atheists attest of is the discovery how much their priest/minister lied to them and swinged completely to the other extreme.

Upvote 0

FrumiousBandersnatch

Mar 20, 2009
✟328,000.00
Faith
Atheist
I'm struggling to see where the disagreement lies. Maybe you could clarify that for me?
I disagree that they are anti-theist if they are trying to reconcile theists and atheists.

It's one thing to not share religious beliefs, it's another to be intentionally opposed to such beliefs, and yet another to be opposed to the people that hold such beliefs.

Upvote 0

driewerf

a day at the Zoo
Mar 7, 2010
✟262,647.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
It doesn't compute (in my mind).
And you are the measure of all things? What you don't understand is false by default?
I have read this answer very often from creationists, and it strikes me always as incredibly arrogant. The notion that the ToE is wrong because they don't understand it (after how little an effort?). Shall we reject calculus too? Quantum theory? General Relativity? Or do you apply that principle selectively to the ToE?

Upvote 0

OldWiseGuy

Wake me when it's soup.
Site Supporter
Feb 4, 2006
Wisconsin
Visit site
✟982,622.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
And you are the measure of all things? What you don't understand is false by default?
I have read this answer very often from creationists, and it strikes me always as incredibly arrogant. The notion that the ToE is wrong because they don't understand it (after how little an effort?). Shall we reject calculus too? Quantum theory? General Relativity? Or do you apply that principle selectively to the ToE?

Selectively to the ToE.

Upvote 0

Speedwell

May 11, 2016
St Charles, IL
✟347,270.00
Country
United States
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Married
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

OldWiseGuy

Wake me when it's soup.
Site Supporter
Feb 4, 2006
Wisconsin
Visit site
✟982,622.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
The "assumptions" listed in that article are fabricated by the author and are not actual assumptions of the theory of evolution.

If so then we are, re Kipling, as far apart as east and west.

Upvote 0

Speedwell

May 11, 2016
St Charles, IL
✟347,270.00
Country
United States
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Married
If so then we are, re Kipling, as far apart as east and west.
But at least you have a good example of why we sneer at creationist websites. They concoct a false, easy to defeat version of the theory of evolution instead of arguing against the real thing.

Upvote 0

OldWiseGuy

Wake me when it's soup.
Site Supporter
Feb 4, 2006
Wisconsin
Visit site
✟982,622.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
But at least you have a good example of why we sneer at creationist websites. They concoct a false, easy to defeat version of the theory of evolution instead of arguing against the real thing.

Sounded good to me.

Upvote 0

OldWiseGuy

Wake me when it's soup.
Site Supporter
Feb 4, 2006
Wisconsin
Visit site
✟982,622.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
That was what they were hoping for, and that you would never look too hard at the real thing before rejecting it.

It didn't change my mind one way or the other.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

OldWiseGuy

Wake me when it's soup.
Site Supporter
Feb 4, 2006
Wisconsin
Visit site
✟982,622.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Probably because it coincided with ideas about evolution you had already.

Not really. It was pretty new to me. I reject evolution 'prima facie'.

Upvote 0

Speedwell

May 11, 2016
St Charles, IL
✟347,270.00
Country
United States
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Married
Not really. It was pretty new to me. I reject evolution 'prima facie'.
Why? That's what I don't get. It doesn't seem that big a deal to me. "So that's how life developed and diversified since it began? Cool. Say, what's for supper?" The theory of evolution is just scientific theory, accepted provisionally as all scientific theories are--and if it turns out to be wrong, it's wrong and we'll come up with another theory to replace it. I don't see why you would want to select that one particular theory to reject a priori.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

OldWiseGuy

Wake me when it's soup.
Site Supporter
Feb 4, 2006
Wisconsin
Visit site
✟982,622.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Why? That's what I don't get. It doesn't seem that big a deal to me. "So that's how life developed and diversified since it began? Cool. Say, what's for supper?"

I can't fathom the concept. My brain is too small.

Upvote 0