Why do most Christians regard drug use as a sin?

Status
Not open for further replies.

BelindaP

Senior Contributor
Sep 21, 2006
Indianapolis
✟20,888.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Well, yeah. That was Jesus' point most of the time. He knew how to enjoy himself, and he definitely was not hung up on the Pharisees' rules.

Under the doctrine of Christian liberty, I imagine that a Christian could light up sin-free (in a country where it's legal). However, if the act of doing so could cause a stumbling block to a weaker Christian, then it is forbidden.

That would include future weaker Christians who might hear about it, even years later. We don't live for ourselves, but for others and for God.

Upvote 0

zerodrone

Nov 13, 2006
interzone
✟15,181.00
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Single
I can't help myself, I've got to respond once again. God does expect us to follow a set of rules. The bible clearly states things that God wants us to do and doesn't want us to do.

I respect your opinion. I only ask that you respect mine.

Upvote 0

rocklife

Senior Veteran
Apr 4, 2004
✟18,086.00
Faith
Christian
No, I'd like people to admit that a spiritual connection with God is not such a rigidly defined thing that depends on following sets of rules, and that it is possible to be close to God, to be a wonderful example of a human being, while still allowing yourself to have a good time every now and then.

I do not believe that the message Jesus intended to teach was to follow a set of rules.

I have a good time without being drugged and drunk and stoned as a christian. (and I am talking about recreational use, medicinal is separate issue, that I've already talked about in other post)

Jesus is more than just a set of rules, yes. He is also with us in His HOly Spirit. But He also wants what is best for us, and only takes away things that hurt us.

He also makes people born again, new creations. My new creation has not wanted to be drugged and stoned. He changes people and their desires, and I don't feel deprived. I feel good when I help others, He changes us and gives us new desires, zerodrone. And you probably won't experience that kind of change if you choose not to get to know God on His terms, which starts with the bible, prayer, and Jesus. I hope you do :)

Reactions: FallingWaters
Upvote 0

rocklife

Senior Veteran
Apr 4, 2004
✟18,086.00
Faith
Christian
I respect your opinion. I only ask that you respect mine.

this thread and outreach is for christians to answer your question. You have a question about why we regard drug use as sin. But it doesn't seem you are accepting our answers. It seems you are trying to persuade us to do illegal drugs by saying they are good times and mushrooms need to be handled respectfully ingested, etc. (see this quote:
No, I'd like people to admit that a spiritual connection with God is not such a rigidly defined thing that depends on following sets of rules, and that it is possible to be close to God, to be a wonderful example of a human being, while still allowing yourself to have a good time every now and then.

Please accept our answers and stop trying to persuade us illegal drugs are a good time. That is taking this thread into other areas than it should go. Surely there are more appropriate places you can take that discussion, but not here.

I posted, if you don't like the laws, write your congressman and become a legislature. But it is probably medically shown to be too hazardous anyway.

Upvote 0

zerodrone

Nov 13, 2006
interzone
✟15,181.00
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Single
And you probably won't experience that kind of change if you choose not to get to know God on His terms, which starts with the bible, prayer, and Jesus.

I have studied the bible, I have prayed, and I believe I know Jesus. Who are you to judge me, and tell me that I am "wrong" about God? I would not presume to tell you that your connection with God is an illusion or a falsehood, so I ask that you not tell me the same thing.

"Judge not lest ye be judged."

As I said before, the question I had was directed only to Christians who believe that alcohol is acceptable and other drugs are not. That the thread has diverged into all kinds of other tangents is a result of other posters, not me!

I am not interested in arguments such as "Why do you need to get high/drunk/etc.? I have a good time without them!" To that I could only respond "Why do you need to surf the Internet? Why do you need to watch television? Why do you need to do anything recreational at all?"

I am not trying to persuade anyone that any drug is "a good time" or that anyone should do them. I am only trying to explain that I believe they are not sinful, they are not against the teachings of Jesus or the wishes of the Living God, and that I believe those things because I have a very close relationship with God. Please do not disprespect me by claiming my relationship with God is false; from my perspective, most Christians have a false relationship with God, but I do not preach to them or judge them, because I simply have no way of objectively knowing that I am right. I can only have faith that I am right. And personal faith is not a valid argument for getting someone else to change their ideals.

Upvote 0

rocklife

Senior Veteran
Apr 4, 2004
✟18,086.00
Faith
Christian
If Christians are going to be against drugs which impair the mind, I sincerely hope they take up the fight against Paxil, Prozac and other such medications. I consider those to be truly harmful to the spirit in a much greater and more literal sense than casual alcohol or marijuana use. Even the Valium I am prescribed does not alter my personality or judgement like those "anti-depressants" do.

you are making a very broad sweep about christians, generalizing that all christians feel a certain way about drugs.

one* arguement for medication like anti-depressants, is the idea they are fixing something that may be chemically imbalanced. anyway, that is a different topic altogether from the Original Post and should get a new thread.

And please take into consideration, something the bible also warns about. Many call themselves His people, but they are not. They do not know Him and are hypocrits. So just because some politicians or others calling themselves christians are saying certain things and fighting certain causes, the bible says many have evil motives (like money) behind that. pharmacetical (sp?) companies also make a lot of money with the doctors, so they also have much to gain by giving so many medicines out. (and I do not judge others who are on medication, I mind my own business about personal affairs like that, but I do encourage healthy living and following the laws). I hope you are trying to get to real christianity.

Upvote 0

rocklife

Senior Veteran
Apr 4, 2004
✟18,086.00
Faith
Christian
I have studied the bible, I have prayed, and I believe I know Jesus. Who are you to judge me, and tell me that I am "wrong" about God? I would not presume to tell you that your connection with God is an illusion or a falsehood, so I ask that you not tell me the same thing.

You are the OP, and this forum is from Non-christians asking christians questions. That is where I am coming from.

Upvote 0

rocklife

Senior Veteran
Apr 4, 2004
✟18,086.00
Faith
Christian
As I said before, the question I had was directed only to Christians who believe that alcohol is acceptable and other drugs are not.

that is not the impression I got from the title and from the OP. And what makes me unable to answer based on this qualification? did I say I am anti-alcohol? No, I said drunkenness is wrong, but I didn't say you can never drink alcohol and that it is wrong. Jesus turned water into wine and drank wine. I am not against that, but I am against drunkenness, because it is in the New Testament as bad lifestyle.

here is a copy of the OP:
Nearly all Christians regard moderate consumption of alcohol or tobacco to be perfectly okay.
Both alcohol and tobacco have been proven to be far more addictive and harmful than marijuana.

Yet most Christians seem to regard moderate marijuana use as a sin.

Why?

How is the distinction drawn between one drug (alcohol, tobacco) and another drug (marijuana)?

Also, what about psychoactive mushrooms? Those do not need to be prepared (as alcohol does) nor ingested in an unnatural way (such as smoking tobacco or marijuana). How is the simple act of eating a naturally occurring mushroom seen as a sin to many Christians?

Would it still be a sin if one didn't know the psychoactive properties of the mushroom and was simply eating them as a food source?

It is sad that so many churchgoers are not examples of New Testament living, in my own experience many do not read the bible much at all either or follow it, which is a shame. And the Holy Spirit is in line with His written word, He is not just rules, but we do need to obey His written words prayerfully too (1 John 2:4 "The man who says "I know Him," but does not do what He commands is a liar and the truth is not in him.")

But these generalizations you make in this Original Post about christians is provocative to me as a christian, and I am replying to your OP
I realize you did try to change this into only "christians who get drunk regularly" but I showed you from the bible those kinds are not really in line with New Testament, then also added later was medical drugs, which is different than illegal drugs. anyway, I am perfectly allowed to answer posts in here. anyway, we are all encouraged to answer the Original Post and stay on the OP topic, not change it around. I am able to answer the OP.

Upvote 0

rocklife

Senior Veteran
Apr 4, 2004
✟18,086.00
Faith
Christian
that I believe those things because I have a very close relationship with God. Please do not disprespect me by claiming my relationship with God is false; from my perspective, most Christians have a false relationship with God, but I do not preach to them or judge them, because I simply have no way of objectively knowing that I am right. I can only have faith that I am right. And personal faith is not a valid argument for getting someone else to change their ideals.

I do not mean to disrespect you zerodrone. The purpose of this thread is for non-christians to ask christians questions. I do not know anything of your relationship with God. It just seems you keep encouraging illegal drug use, which is not the purpose of this outreach and question area. You ask questions, but your comments seem to be trying to preach us, and I don't believe it is appropriate for you to change the subject of your OP, it started out with illegal drugs, then medicinal drugs. Too many issues going on in here.

anyway, I am not trying to disrespect you. I am just discussing. Thank you for talking.

Upvote 0

rocklife

Senior Veteran
Apr 4, 2004
✟18,086.00
Faith
Christian
My question was addressed specifically to those Christians who believe that alcohol and tobacco are completely acceptable in moderation, and that marijuana is completely unacceptable in moderation.
I respectfully disagree. the OP did not say that it was addressed to christians who believe that. please reread OP. (Original Post)

I do have one unanswered question for you, though: Do you think Christians should "just say no" to anti-anxiety medication such as Valium, or to anti-depressants such as Prozac or Paxil?
this is different than the OP and should probably start a new thread. illegal drugs have different issues than legal ones. The OP seemed to only be referring to illegal street drugs, not medicine.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

rocklife

Senior Veteran
Apr 4, 2004
✟18,086.00
Faith
Christian
I am not trying to persuade anyone that any drug is "a good time"

What are you calling a good time here then? This thread keeps discussing shrumes and marijuana (the medical drugs are a separate issue). Of course a good time is a matter of opinion,

Please correct me if I'm wrong, what are you saying is a good time in your original statement (post #58)? am I confused? It does seem obvious though that a good time is being associated with illegal drugs.

Upvote 0

zerodrone

Nov 13, 2006
interzone
✟15,181.00
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Single
the arguement for medication like anti-depressants, is the idea they are fixing something that may be chemically imbalanced.

This is factually incorrect. Drugs such as Paxil and Prozac do not correct a chemical imbalance. I said that much earlier in the thread - such drugs are not analogous to someone who takes iron pills because they are anemic. Paxil and Prozac alter one's brian chemistry, they do not "fix" it.

As for your hope that I am reaching towards "true Christianity", my experience with the Living God has told me that Christianity is only one of many paths which serve the purpose of illuminating humanity. In my spirituality, I find that too many Christians quote the Bible without really understanding what Jesus was saying. It is for that reason that I encourage Christians to read the Gospel of St. Thomas (copies of which date back to 150-200 AD, if not earlier).

Upvote 0

rocklife

Senior Veteran
Apr 4, 2004
✟18,086.00
Faith
Christian
This is factually incorrect. Drugs such as Paxil and Prozac do not correct a chemical imbalance. I said that much earlier in the thread - such drugs are not analogous to someone who takes iron pills because they are anemic. Paxil and Prozac alter one's brian chemistry, they do not "fix" it.

As for your hope that I am reaching towards "true Christianity", my experience with the Living God has told me that Christianity is only one of many paths which serve the purpose of illuminating humanity. In my spirituality, I find that too many Christians quote the Bible without really understanding what Jesus was saying. It is for that reason that I encourage Christians to read the Gospel of St. Thomas (copies of which date back to 150-200 AD, if not earlier).

this is getting off-topic. there is a rule not to take threads into other topics.

but to reply, I have been on Prozac and paxil, and I have heard psychiatrists talk about that kind of stuff. I am not just making it up. Maybe my old doctors are not saying the same thing your doctors have said, or even what is accepted in medical science. Those doctors and drugs didn't even help me anyway.

I am not trying to argue. our facts and experiences seem to be vastly different though.

Upvote 0

rocklife

Senior Veteran
Apr 4, 2004
✟18,086.00
Faith
Christian
As for your hope that I am reaching towards "true Christianity", my experience with the Living God has told me that Christianity is only one of many paths which serve the purpose of illuminating humanity. In my spirituality, I find that too many Christians quote the Bible without really understanding what Jesus was saying.

yes, unfortunately many churchgoers do not seem to read the bible much. And even less read it in its right context.

The only times I encourage you towards "true Christianity" is because you mention you know so many catholics and baptists who drink and smoke. I am not saying you aren't a true christian, I am saying they are not representing biblical New Testament christianity. and of course your icon does not match the definition laid out for how Christian Forums defines christianity. I am not judging your personal walk with God, those other notes I mention are not personal attacks to you. I am saddened that so many baptists and catholics have represented the New Testament and Holy Spirit so poorly according to your testimony. thank you for listening

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Letalis

Jun 7, 2004
Miami, FL
✟25,650.00
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Libertarian
Alright guys, this thread is going to remain closed.

3.5 Controversial Topics to Be Discussed Only in Certain Forums

A. You will not post content regarding the following subjects anywhere on CF except in Ethics & Morality, Liberal Theology, Christian Philosophy, or any subforums in the Congregation or Recovery* categories:

drug use
gambling
polygamy
extramarital or premarital sexual activity
homosexuality
transsexuality
abortion

*You will not make posts promoting or endorsing any of these subjects in Recovery forums.

B. Controversial doctrines listed below must be discussed in the Unorthodox Theological Doctrines or Liberal Theology forums only:

Full Preterism
Open Theism
Universalism or Universal Salvation
Annihilationism
Freemasonry

We would normally give leeway on this, but as it has turned into a debate, this thread will remain closed.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.