Why do most Christians regard drug use as a sin?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Key

The Opener of Locks
Apr 10, 2004
Visit site
✟19,007.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
You bring up a fun point.

But reality in my case has been a diffrent story. Many of the "Pot" smokers I knew did not smoke tobacco, and made commentary about the "Bad Smell" of tobacco products.

The idea that more people die of drinking and driving, is because, more bars and pubs are not located in peoples Homes, and more people drink then smoke marijuana, or ingest it. This has to do with the fact that it is illegal.

So to use gross generalizations, like "More people Die of this then that" that would be like me saying "More people die from repairing their home then people die from base jumping" and conclude that Base Jumping is safer then putting up sheet rock (Wall board). Such is not the reality of the situation.

Marijuana is viewed as a sin, by many because it can not be taken inmoderation, like alcohol. One can drink just a little bit and not be impaired. One can not "Smoke" a little bit and not be impaired.

There is the issue of Illegal, and altho we are not to submit to the law in all cases, when the law disgarees with Gods commands, we must hold God first. In this case, God and the Law do not disagree. So a strong point is the "Breaking the Kings Law" issue.

Marijuana is natural. So is poison ivy. And yet people don't go ingesting poison ivy. Yew wood is higly toxic to the human system, and yet it also is natural. So, given the idea that just because it is "Made by God" does not indeed make it safe to humans. The fact that this "plant" or "Fungus" can alter your rmind state, should be a warning sign that you are not supposed to ingest it, even if it is natural. Wine can be ingested into the system inmoderation and has proven to have health benifits in half glass qunaties per day.

I do not belong to the idea that "It's Evil" or that it is "Sin" but given it is illegal, as such the people using it, become questionable, and among questionable people, or people who disregard the law because they simply do not like it, is not the best place to impair your mental focus. Altho maybe smoking marijuana in and of itself may not a Sin (to some), it can lead the commiting of sins very quickly. And this must be taken into account.

As for being safer, or more aware, that might have been your trip, or the effects that it had on the person you talked to. Marijuana affects people diffrently, just like Alcohol affects people diffrently.

Having a Drink and being Drunk, are diffrent, and that is the line that even the most liberal belevers draw, is at the impairment of your mind. When you remove your ability to make sound choices, because, we are accountbale befor God for all that we do, being drunk or stoned is not an Excuse to God for the commiting of a sin.

God Bless

Key

Upvote 0

zerodrone

Nov 13, 2006
interzone
✟15,181.00
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Single
The idea that more people die of drinking and driving, is because, more bars and pubs are not located in peoples Homes, and more people drink then smoke marijuana, or ingest it.

While that is a somewhat valid point, it does not change the fact that among those who drink alcohol regularly, there is a far higher percentage of alcohol-related health problems than the percentage of marijuana users who experience marijuana-related health problems.

To use your analogy: If 100 people do home repairs and only 1 dies, and 10 people base jump and 5 of them die, then one can conclude that base jumping is more harmful. And the statistics bear out the fact that a higher percentage of alcohol users face alcohol-related health issues than the percentage of marijuana users who face marijuana-related health issues.

Marijuana is viewed as a sin, by many because it can not be taken inmoderation, like alcohol. One can drink just a little bit and not be impaired. One can not "Smoke" a little bit and not be impaired.

That is completely false. Smoking a small amount of marijuana causes no more impairment than drinking one beer or one glass of wine.

Upvote 0

Key

The Opener of Locks
Apr 10, 2004
Visit site
✟19,007.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
While that is a somewhat valid point, it does not change the fact that among those who drink alcohol regularly, there is a far higher percentage of alcohol-related health problems than the percentage of marijuana users who experience marijuana-related health problems.

I am going to request support for this statment. Secondly, you did not put "Those who use marijuana regularly", this might be because many people that "Smoked Pot" grew out of it, or only smoked for a little while, or only did it once in a while, Etc, while they did not grow out of "Budwiser".

The only Viable infromation is "Hard Core" to "Hard Core" and on that level marijuana is the "A Winner of a Killer" hands down.

To use your analogy: If 100 people do home repairs and only 1 dies, and 10 people base jump and 5 of them die, then one can conclude that base jumping is more harmful. And the statistics bear out the fact that a higher percentage of alcohol users face alcohol-related health issues than the percentage of marijuana users who face marijuana-related health issues.

Stastics alsp point to the fact that the Adverage age of a marijuana user is in the 20's, while the adverage age of an Alcohol user is in the 50's. Age might be the bigger issue then the drug, when you play those kinds of numbers.

But, as I said. I am not one of those people that makes a fuss about this. I say it's illegal, and we should respect that. If you feel it should be legal then take a legal approach and change the laws.

God Bless

Key

That is completely false. Smoking a small amount of marijuana causes no more impairment than drinking one beer or one glass of wine.[/quote]

Reactions: rocklife
Upvote 0

Rafael

Only time enough for love
Jul 25, 2002
Midwest
Visit site
✟6,445.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
1. What about people who smoke pot and don't "sit around", but rather meditate, create art or music, or commune with their fellow man?

2. How is "smoking pot and sitting around" any less wasteful than sitting on the Internet or watching television?
First of all, the question would be what one is filled with to create art and music. Is it what God wants, and no, if one justs sits on the internet and watches TV all their lives, it is not any less wasteful, IMO. I didn't imply that is was not. Everyone needs a break, but I know from experience that smoking pot can't help but make a person paranoid because of the law - which is another reason to stop. Being a musician, I know just what a crutch smoking pot to play can be when plenty of practivce and good oxygen works fine. Replacing the chemical receptors of the nerve synapse is kinda cheatin' IMO.
There is lots of work that God has for us to do, and the practical love we are to grow in comes by us answering Jesus' queries - that, yes, we did feed Him when He was hungry, we did clothe Him when He was naked, we did give Him shelter when He was a stranger, and we did visit Him while He was sick. We are surround by all kinds of ambition to do what we want for self while the world of people we are all related to dies overnight without a warm meal and a place to lie down with comfort or friend. Believe it or not, all those people are our responsibility to rise up and speak for. That is why we are to redeem the time we have on earth. Beyond these first tasks and responsibilities we have to our neighbor, we have other gifts of the Spirit and other works to do, and we are encouraged to grow up in His grace as better workers in His vineyard. To know and practice by showing the practical love we have for our own flesh to others. I know I wasted far too much time on the rock music I played while stoned. It ended fruitless as far as accomplishing anything I saw in the Bible that God would have had me grow up in and do. It boils down to what we want more than God...

Mat. 25:35 For I was hungry, and you fed me. I was thirsty, and you gave me a drink. I was a stranger, and you invited me into your home.
36 I was naked, and you gave me clothing. I was sick, and you cared for me. I was in prison, and you visited me.’
37 "Then these righteous ones will reply, ‘Lord, when did we ever see you hungry and feed you? Or thirsty and give you something to drink?
38 Or a stranger and show you hospitality? Or naked and give you clothing?
39 When did we ever see you sick or in prison, and visit you?’
40 And the King will tell them, ‘I assure you, when you did it to one of the least of these my brothers and sisters, you were doing it to me!’

I JOHN 3:16-19 This is how we know what love is: Jesus Christ laid down his life for us. And we ought to lay down our lives for our brothers. If anyone has material possessions and sees his brother in need but has no pity on him, how can the love of God be in him? Dear children, let us not love with words or tongue but with ACTIONS and TRUTH. This then is how we KNOW that we belong to the truth and how we set our hearts at rest in his presence whenever our hearts condemn us.

Matthew 5:16 Let your light so shine before men, that they may see your good works, and glorify your Father which is in heaven.

EPHESIANS 2:10 For we are God's workmanship, created in Christ Jesus to DO GOOD WORKS, which God prepared in advance for us to do.

TITUS 2:14 Christ Jesus; who gave Himself for us, that He might redeem us from every lawless deed and purify for Himself a people for His own possession, ZEALOUS FOR GOOD DEEDS.

Upvote 0

rocklife

Senior Veteran
Apr 4, 2004
✟18,086.00
Faith
Christian
Nearly all Christians regard moderate consumption of alcohol or tobacco to be perfectly okay.
As a christian, I do not regard tobacco to be perfectly okay for christians. Christians who smoke should stop. I used to smoke, I stopped.
Both alcohol and tobacco have been proven to be far more addictive and harmful than marijuana.
They have? I have never heard that before. Please cite your sources, preferably from Encyclopedia type or other scholarly report.
Yet most Christians seem to regard moderate marijuana use as a sin.
Why?
lots of things are sin, not just marijuana. Anything can be sinful if you are not in God's will. making tons of money can be sin if you are neglecting God's will. sex is blessing in marriage, but can be sinful outside of marriage. point is, anything can be sinful, some are way worse than others.
How is the distinction drawn between one drug (alcohol, tobacco) and another drug (marijuana)?
For a christian, that depends if God is with you about it or not. I believe tylenol is okay for the most part, in moderation, chemotherapy may be helpful for cancer treatments. All things should be done prayerfully.
Also, what about psychoactive mushrooms? Those do not need to be prepared (as alcohol does) nor ingested in an unnatural way (such as smoking tobacco or marijuana). How is the simple act of eating a naturally occurring mushroom seen as a sin to many Christians?
depends, I'm not exactly sure what you are really saying. But if you need to be taking care of your children, and instead you are getting intoxicated, that is sinful (and illegal in US). Also being under the influence, you cannot drive. If you have no children, and you pray, God will probably have some other good work He can give you in soberness, like helping the needy and other good deeds.

Would it still be a sin if one didn't know the psychoactive properties of the mushroom and was simply eating them as a food source?
ignorance does give some leeway.
Jesus was offered a narcotic drink on the way to the cross. He spat it out when He drank, and refused the rest.

I believe most of us need to focus on our own walk with Jesus and not go around judging others and thinking what ifs. Life is short enough, we should be sober to pray and seek and save the lost and get to know Jesus more from the bible. There is definitely not enough bible reading going on that I have seen. Even the ones who do, need to make sure they are reading it how God wants it to read, not twist it around and make it say things we want it to say.

and I will add, I used to smoke weed and do coke and shrumes and acid and all of it. I reject all that now, it is not worth the time and money, and if you have children, it is a terrible waste of time and of course you cannot watch children drunk, stoned, drugged up (I have seen people stoned watch children, the children were not safe). And I am ashamed for being involved with people who did that to their children, and I have since reported them prayerfully, responsibly. I am thankful God forgives such awful sins and sinners like me, and gives me new life in Jesus.

Upvote 0

zerodrone

Nov 13, 2006
interzone
✟15,181.00
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Single
I know I wasted far too much time on the rock music I played while stoned. It ended fruitless as far as accomplishing anything I saw in the Bible that God would have had me grow up in and do.

What about "make a joyous noise unto the Lord"?

Upvote 0

zerodrone

Nov 13, 2006
interzone
✟15,181.00
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Single
"According to the U.S. Institute of Medicine (IOM), when examining drug addiction, tolerance, dependence, and withdrawal are the characteristics most often assessed to determine whether or not an addiction is indicated. Although some users of marijuana may experience slight tolerance, dependence, or withdrawal associated with use, the IOM argues that this is not evidence that marijuana is addictive. The organization asserts that tolerance and dependence are normal physiological adaptations to repeated use of any substance, including prescription drugs. Safe, appropriate use of many prescribed medications -- for pain, anxiety, hypertension, etc. -- routinely produces some level of tolerance and a slight physiological dependence that is addressed through dosage and may lead to withdrawal symptoms if stopped abruptly, rather than gradually.

The IOM also reported that observable symptoms attributed to marijuana withdrawal are rare and were only identifiable in "unique patient settings... limited to adolescents in treatment facilities for substance abuse problems, and in a research setting where subjects were given marijuana or THC daily." Compared to the withdrawal associated with alcohol or heroin, the marijuana-related symptoms of restlessness, irritability, and sleep disruption are minor. According to reports, the symptoms are not "severe enough to re-initiate use of cannabis." The criteria of tolerance, dependence, and withdrawal, therefore, do not indicate marijuana addiction, assert proponents of marijuana legalization.

Statistics show that fewer than one in 10 marijuana smokers becomes a regular user of the drug and most stop using marijuana after the age of 34. By comparison, reported the National Organization for the Reform of Marijuana Laws (NORML), 15 percent of alcohol consumers and 32 percent of tobacco smokers exhibit symptoms of drug dependence."

Upvote 0

rocklife

Senior Veteran
Apr 4, 2004
✟18,086.00
Faith
Christian
even if it isn't addictive, doesn't it still contribute to emphasema (sp?) and other lung problems?

and it gets people stoned, so you aren't sober...

I've been stoned before even from just a couple puffs, I know you can do many things while stoned, but sometimes you can't. I've been superstoned before on accident. (and I did smoke marijuana daily for a couple years, so I know what its like-and I believe you cannot be stoned or drunk with children around period, those who think so, I would not want to be their kids).

Upvote 0

FallingWaters

Woman of God
Mar 29, 2006
Maine
✟38,902.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Not true. I know of a very large number of Baptists here in the South who drink beer regularly, but who think that marijuana is a Very Bad Thing.

I've also known many Catholics in New England who often drink but who regard marijuana as sinful.

I suppose that maybe all of them are just no "real" Christians? Reminds me of what Ghandi said: "I like your Jesus. I do not like your Christians. They are so unlike your Jesus."
I have never ever gone to church with people who drink like you describe. I've been in churches for the last 24 years: Catholic, Charismatic, and Baptist. I only seen 2 people in the last 24 years who had beer in their home, one in Maryland and one in Maine. And come to think of it, both of them stopped coming to church.

You would just like these people to come right out and admit they're hypocrites, right?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

FallingWaters

Woman of God
Mar 29, 2006
Maine
✟38,902.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
American Mushrooms.Com

"An Important Note About Wild Hallucinogenic Mushrooms
While many mycologists, mycophiles and others will confess that they have had positive—even life-changing—experiences with hallucinogenic mushrooms, many will also confess that they have had negative experiences with hallucinogenic mushrooms. Here is a word to the wise: Take it slow!
The illegality of Psilocybe and other genera with hallucinogenic properties is not the only issue here. Contrary to popular perception (at least in some circles), "bad trips" featuring paranoia and depression rather than enlightenment and euphoria are as much a danger with Psilocybe and other psychoactive mushrooms as they are with LSD. A good percentage of mushroom poisoning cases involve victims who thought they were going to have good "recreational" or "spiritual" experiences but ended up either having "bad trips" or eating something dangerously toxic.
If you are committed to finding and eating wild hallucinogenic mushrooms, prepare to learn a lot about field mycology first—or risk paying a terrible price for making a serious mistake!"

Upvote 0

rocklife

Senior Veteran
Apr 4, 2004
✟18,086.00
Faith
Christian
zerodrone, maybe you should make a distinction between medical drug use and recreational drug use. I think the title of this thread here draws people to many different conclusions.

It seems you are trying to encourage people to fight to get these legalized. The bible wants Christians to fight to save sinners, so I am not going to put my energy into legalizing drugs.

and if you want to learn more from the politicians, why they don't legalize it, you can write to them and ask. I often write to senators and congressman, they reply. Internet is great for information.

I do have one unanswered question for you, though: Do you think Christians should "just say no" to anti-anxiety medication such as Valium, or to anti-depressants such as Prozac or Paxil?

I mind my own business about other people's medicines. I believe that is between them and their conscience. If marijuana is legal and other drugs, I have no problem with others taking them as directed by their doctors, because that is between them and their conscience. Just for a buzz and to be stoned or drugged is wrong, bible talks about being sober, but to treat other illnesses, diseases is different. And I just pray for my own things, and mind my own business for others appropriately (1 Thessalonians 4:11 Make it your ambition to lead a quiet life, to mind your own business and to work with your hands, just as we told you"-of course in safety and wisdom)

Reactions: FallingWaters
Upvote 0

FallingWaters

Woman of God
Mar 29, 2006
Maine
✟38,902.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
http://cogsci.tribe.net/thread/04d7d304-722b-4108-afd3-70a36bb806e8

"the changes appeared to last at least two months"
(This goes against your "24 hours" statement.)

"But in 30% of the cases, the drug provoked harrowing experiences dominated by fear and paranoia."

"...researchers cautioned that in less-controlled settings, such responses could trigger panic or other reactions that might put people in danger."

"We don't know all their dark sides," he said. "I wouldn't in any way want to underestimate the potential risks" of indiscriminate use of the drugs."

"The National Institute for Drug Abuse, which co-sponsored the study as part of its support for research into drugs of abuse, also warned against eating psilocybin mushrooms. They "act on serotonin receptors in the brain to profoundly distort a person's perception of reality," the institute said, possibly triggering psychosis, paranoia and anxiety."

Upvote 0

FallingWaters

Woman of God
Mar 29, 2006
Maine
✟38,902.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
As you can see I decided to do a little Googling on the mushrooms. I searched for psylocibin mushrooms and the word "benefits". Funny how I didn't come up with any benefits. I did come across warnings concerning people's liver and kidneys, though.

While I was looking around, I came across some descriptions of some people's experiences with the mushrooms. They talk about they are "lifted above reality" and such. What struck me was how these "trips" seem to be a counterfeit of a real experience with the Living God!

I had one of these ecstatic experiences today, as a matter of fact. I was on my knees praying, and Jesus came and layed both His hands on my head and blessed me. It was a healing experience. It made me feel loved. It made me feel important to Him. It lasted all day. I cried several times from the cleansing power of it.

Perhaps people's hunger for these kinds of experiences is because there is a God-shaped vacuum in each of us that only God can fill. Whatever earthly thing we try to fill it with is just a cheap imitation of the real thing.

Upvote 0

Key

The Opener of Locks
Apr 10, 2004
Visit site
✟19,007.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Statistics show that fewer than one in 10 marijuana smokers becomes a regular user of the drug and most stop using marijuana after the age of 34.

Thank you for supporting my point.

If only young people use this drug, (Maybe because after 34, getting trouble with the law does not sound like fun anymore) they have not done it long enough to develop the problems. Unlike say, people who have smoked for 50 years, finally developing lung cancer at 70 years old, when their body itself starts to break down.

I would also like to add, that when somone smokes marijuana the whole idea of doing this is to get "Stoned", not just "Have a Puff", because they like the flavor of the weed (Let be real, marijuana smells like burning excreatment from a sick cow), Unlike say, some one that might sit at a meal and enjoy a glass of wine because the flavor goes with the food, where the idea is to enjoy the drink for the sake of the drink and it's flavor, and not the idea to get drunk from the drink.

That is an important factor in the whole deal.

God Bless

Key

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

beth34

Jul 20, 2006
South
✟15,420.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
The truth is that eating unhealthy really is worse for you than moderate marijuana or alcohol use.

Even though "Reefer Madness" was made decades ago it feels like we're still living under the same impressions, that pot is some kind of "demon weed" that makes you crazy. As far as physical harm from smoking pot, it is very minimal. The only thing physically harmful about marijuana is involved in smoking it - and marijuana does not even need to be smoked to be used.

I respect anyone's opinion on what they should do with their lives - I respect the Amish decision to not use technology, for example - but I do not respect ignorance. If you feel that alcohol and marijuana are spiritually harmful to you, then don't do them and you have my blessings. However, please try to have knowledge of the facts when it comes to telling other people how to live their lives.
I'm not trying to tell people how to live their lives. Their adults, they can make their own decisions. From a Christian's point of view, I just don't think drinking alcohol and smoking marijuana is very pleasing to God. And for you to say that you don't respect ignorance or someone's opinions if they don't know what they are talking about, I'm sorry you feel that way about me. I don't consider myself ignorant. If you consider doing the two as completely acceptable, that's great, that's your opinion. My opinion just happens to be just the opposite. But I'm not going to call you ignorant just because you don't agree with me. Beth

Upvote 0

Rafael

Only time enough for love
Jul 25, 2002
Midwest
Visit site
✟6,445.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
What about "make a joyous noise unto the Lord"?
Stoned?? No way do we need to get high with drugs to praise God with song and music!
"Strange fire" was brought to the alter by Nadab and Abihu as offering and rejected. Should we obey God with what He asks for or dream up what we want to give? That is a Cain's sacrifice - giving what we want instead of what He asks.
We are told to die to self and live unto God, not an easy thing to do, but nevertheless, what we should strive for. As John said, "He must become greater and greater, and I must become less and less."
We are all called to give up the selfish life for the life of Christ, as He wills for us - esteeming Him more than self.

Luke 23:23 Then he said to the crowd, "If any of you wants to be my follower, you must put aside your selfish ambition, shoulder your cross daily, and follow me.
24 If you try to keep your life for yourself, you will lose it. But if you give up your life for me, you will find true life.
25 And how do you benefit if you gain the whole world but lose or forfeit your own soul in the process?

Reactions: FallingWaters
Upvote 0

zerodrone

Nov 13, 2006
interzone
✟15,181.00
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Single
You would just like these people to come right out and admit they're hypocrites, right?

No, I'd like people to admit that a spiritual connection with God is not such a rigidly defined thing that depends on following sets of rules, and that it is possible to be close to God, to be a wonderful example of a human being, while still allowing yourself to have a good time every now and then.

I do not believe that the message Jesus intended to teach was to follow a set of rules.

Upvote 0

zerodrone

Nov 13, 2006
interzone
✟15,181.00
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Single
While many mycologists, mycophiles and others will confess that they have had positive—even life-changing—experiences with hallucinogenic mushrooms, many will also confess that they have had negative experiences with hallucinogenic mushrooms.

I never claimed that mushrooms are good for everyone, everytime. They are something to be taken very cautiously and with great respect, not used as a frequent and casual good time.

There are also people who have had negative experiences with Christian churches. That does not invalidate the positive ones, does it?

Upvote 0

beth34

Jul 20, 2006
South
✟15,420.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
No, I'd like people to admit that a spiritual connection with God is not such a rigidly defined thing that depends on following sets of rules, and that it is possible to be close to God, to be a wonderful example of a human being, while still allowing yourself to have a good time every now and then.

I do not believe that the message Jesus intended to teach was to follow a set of rules.
I can't help myself, I've got to respond once again. God does expect us to follow a set of rules. The bible clearly states things that God wants us to do and doesn't want us to do. But that doesn't mean we aren't allowed to have fun every once in a while. A Christian can have a very fun, fulfilling life without doing things such as drinking, drugging, smoking, etc. That's what is so great about being one. People tend to think that Christians lead a drab and boring life, but that is not so. I promise.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.