Upvote 0

Jamin4422

Jul 5, 2012
✟3,349.00
Faith
United Ch. of Christ
Marital Status
In Relationship
FYI, the carbon in your body comes from the air (via photosynthesis). So does much of the nitrogen (via biological nitrogen fixation).
Yes, that is what the Bible says. Adam was made out of the dust of the ground and the breath of life. Moses seemed to know all of that 3700 years ago. Of course everyone knows if your not breathing then your not alive.

Gen 2:7 "And the LORD God formed man [of] the dust of the ground, and breathed into his nostrils the breath of life; and man became a living soul."

Upvote 0

Jamin4422

Jul 5, 2012
✟3,349.00
Faith
United Ch. of Christ
Marital Status
In Relationship
In any smallish population (<100,00) you will produce MRCA's quite quickly (geologically speaking). You can have 100,000 people throughout this time period and you will still produce a y-chromosome Adam and a mtDNA-Eve. John just refuses to understand this.
Where does this prove that the Bible is not true? It does not matter if there were 100,000 people alive at the same time. Adam and Eve are real historical people that lived in Eden in the Middle east. In the Euphrates River valley. Of course we know there were LOTS of other people alive at that time. So what. That information does not change anything and you still have done nothing to show that Adam and Eve were not real historical people and you have done nothing to show that the Bible is not in every way accurate and true. 3700 years and Moses is still accurate and true.

Upvote 0

Jamin4422

Jul 5, 2012
✟3,349.00
Faith
United Ch. of Christ
Marital Status
In Relationship
Neither were in the Middle East, both in Africa.
Again, we are not talking about Time Magazine Our of Africa Adam and Eve. We are talking about the Adam and Eve IN THE BIBLE. Science knows them as: J1 Haplogroup defined by the M267 SNP

NOW prove that Adam and Eve IN THE BIBLE are not the founding parents of J1 Haplogroup defined by the M267 SNP. Like I said, this is the marker for Aaran. But because Aaran and Abraham are so close to Adam, then the M267 SNP is the marker you would use for Adam.

I now your going to say just because he could have been does not mean he was. Well if he was not for real, then you would have PLENTY of evidence to show that.

Upvote 0

Wiccan_Child

Contributor
Mar 21, 2005
Bristol, UK
✟31,731.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
UK-Liberal-Democrats
People do believe in magical teapot yet they usually called it dark matter. The teapot is invisible so you can't see it.
That's rather the point. Unless you have evidence for a belief, you're not justified in believing it. We have evidence for evolution, atoms, the Big Bang, etc - but what we don't have evidence for, is God.

Upvote 0

Wiccan_Child

Contributor
Mar 21, 2005
Bristol, UK
✟31,731.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
UK-Liberal-Democrats
Yes, that is what the Bible says. Adam was made out of the dust of the ground and the breath of life. Moses seemed to know all of that 3700 years ago. Of course everyone knows if your not breathing then your not alive.
Tell that to fish.

Upvote 0

DaneaFL

Apr 20, 2012
Deep in the bible belt.
✟732.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
In another word they have their reasons to believe it exist even though there is no direct evidence.
Quote from article "We believe these results prove that dark matter exists." Of course not everyone is a believer.

We have evidence that shows that some force is having a noticeable affect on the physical world...

Show me God in the same way. We can measure dark matter. Can we measure God's power too?

That is a completely false analogy.

Upvote 0

Karl - Liberal Backslider

Senior Veteran
Jul 16, 2003
Chesterfield
Visit site
✟20,947.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Politics
UK-Labour
Does the Bible say that fish are made from the dust? I just do not know what we would do without your expertise on the Word of the Living God.

I think we're more interested in your assertion that "if your [sic] not breathing then your [sic] not alive" - fish do not breathe, but are alive. Plants do not breathe, but are alive. People in respiratory rest do not breathe, but are alive.

They all respire, but that's not the same thing.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Split Rock

Conflation of Blathers
Nov 3, 2003
North Dakota
✟22,466.00
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Single
Wonderful, then it should be NO problem for you to tell me where the elements, IE the atoms come from that make up your body. They come from the food we eat. Where does the food get it from? The soil, IE dirt.

We start off as one cell. Are all the atoms that make us up in that one cell?

Of course elements come from star stuff and before that the big bang.

The food we eat does not come from the soil, it is grown in the soil. Some small amounts of minerals come from the soil, but the vast majority of the carbon comes from CO2 in the air.

Upvote 0

Loudmouth

Contributor
Aug 26, 2003
Visit site
✟98,005.00
Faith
Agnostic
Where does this prove that the Bible is not true?

Where does this prove that the Bible is true? You are claiming that science CONFIRMS the Bible. So where is this science that confirms it?

It does not matter if there were 100,000 people alive at the same time. Adam and Eve are real historical people that lived in Eden in the Middle east.

Based on what science? What evidence confirms this?

That information does not change anything and you still have done nothing to show that Adam and Eve were not real historical people . . .

Fallacy: Burden of Proof

Upvote 0

Naraoia

Apprentice Biologist
Sep 30, 2007
On edge
Visit site
✟15,998.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Yes, that is what the Bible says.
No, it's not.

Adam was made out of the dust of the ground and the breath of life. Moses seemed to know all of that 3700 years ago. Of course everyone knows if your not breathing then your not alive.

Gen 2:7 "And the LORD God formed man [of] the dust of the ground, and breathed into his nostrils the breath of life; and man became a living soul."
The Bible, as you so kindly quoted for me, says that God made man of the dust of the ground. Then blew the breath of life into his nostrils. I'm sorry, but it's pretty hard to have (human) nostrils without carbon.

(Nitrogen, I'll give you, because many of the plants we eat do take it up from the soil, after the bugs there converted it into a form plants can use.)

Tell that to fish.
Just make sure they aren't lungfish :D

Upvote 0

46AND2

Forty six and two are just ahead of me...
Sep 5, 2012
Vancouver, WA
✟102,103.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Jamin wrote:

Do they? If so, it's only an assumption on their part, and an unscriptural one at that. I haven't heard actual, mainstream Bible scholars make up such a story.

Except that's directly contradicted by scripture, which explictly says that both are geneologies of Joseph. Are you going to go by the words of men or the words of God?

Wrong. The word greek "gambroV" is generally used for "son in law".

If that were true, then the whole geneology would be invalid because any one of those named could be a son in law instead of a son. That would destroy Luke's whole point. So much for respecting the scripture. It's a patriarchal geneology - that's why it says "son of" each time.

And completely unscriptural. The Lukan geneology explictly says it is through Joseph (not Mary), unless you are arguing that we can't trust what is written in the Gospels.

Plus, you didn't address why Cr contradicts Mt. :

Mt Gen# .....................Gospel of Matthew has.............................. 1st Chron. Has:
1....................................Solomon the father of Rehoboam, .................Solomon's son was
2 ....................................Rehoboam the father of Abijah,............... Rehoboam,
3 ....................................Abijah ..............................................Abijah his son,
4....................................Asa .....................................................Asa his son,
5 ....................................Jehoshaphat ....................................Jehoshaphat his son,
6.................................... Jehoram ....................................Jehoram his son
....................................Skipped....................................Ahaziah his son,
....................................Skipped ....................................Joash his son,
....................................Skipped ....................................Amaziah his son,
7..........................Uzziah the father of Jotham, ......Azariah his son,
8.................................... Jotham ....................................Jotham his son,
9 ....................................Ahaz ....................................Ahaz his son,
10.....................Hezekiah ....................................Hezekiah his son,
11.................................... Manasseh ....................................Manasseh his son,
12 ....................................Amon ....................................Amon his son,
13.................................... Josiah the father of Jeconiah, ..............Josiah his son.

Papias

This has been an entertaining thread.

I noticed he ignored this post, despite answering several others which were posted subsequently.

Thanks for that genealogy comparison between Matthew and 1st Chronicles. I had heard recently that the conflict existed, but hadn't seen an illustration of it until now. :D

Upvote 0

Wiccan_Child

Contributor
Mar 21, 2005
Bristol, UK
✟31,731.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
UK-Liberal-Democrats
Does the Bible say that fish are made from the dust?
You uttered a false statement ("Of course everyone knows if your [sic] not breathing then your [sic] not alive"), I pointed it out by way of sarcasm. Whatever the Bible says fish came from, your claim is still wrong.

I just do not know what we would do without your expertise on the Word of the Living God.
If the Bible teaches that, "if your [sic] not breathing then your [sic] not alive", then it's wrong. If it's your own opinion that, "if your [sic] not breathing then your [sic] not alive", then you're wrong. Go figure.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

vortigen84

Nov 24, 2009
✟9,400.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
It's possible that there is a magical teapot in orbit around the sun... Why aren't you sitting here strongly advocating magicteapotism? What makes your preferred assumption more important than all the other silly "possible" things in this universe?

A magic teapot doesn't affect my conscience the same way as hearing about God does.

Upvote 0

SkyWriting

The Librarian
Site Supporter
Jan 10, 2010
Milwaukee
✟410,948.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
How do you know that isn't purely a cultural and social effect?

Can you explain what a "cultural effect" is?

There is a cultural effect of language in that English speakers think slower due to the complicated translation process.
Maybe that's my problem. :)

Upvote 0

46AND2

Forty six and two are just ahead of me...
Sep 5, 2012
Vancouver, WA
✟102,103.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Can you explain what a "cultural effect" is?

There is a cultural effect of language in that English speakers think slower due to the complicated translation process.
Maybe that's my problem. :)

Not sure why that was hard to figure out, but whatever...

How do you know that if you were born in Iran, you wouldn't be Muslim?
How do you know that if you were born in India, you wouldn't be Hindu?

How do you know that if 90% world had been atheist for the last 2 thousand years, you wouldn't think of God worship as something like the Heaven's Gate cult?

How do you know that if 90% of the world worships the magic teapot, that that the magic teapot wouldn't have an effect on your conscience?

In other words, how do you know that your conscience comes from god, and not cultural and social bias, causing self-delusion?

Upvote 0

Smidlee

Veteran
May 21, 2004
NC, USA
✟21,162.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
We have evidence that shows that some force is having a noticeable affect on the physical world...

Show me God in the same way. We can measure dark matter. Can we measure God's power too?

That is a completely false analogy.
You can't measure dark matter since no one knows what it is. Dark matter is a fudge factor adding in to make the math work in man's models. I have witness not only what God has done in my life but in others as well. It's a lot like gravity as it's a force that pull me away from sin.
That's rather the point. Unless you have evidence for a belief, you're not justified in believing it. We have evidence for evolution, atoms, the Big Bang, etc - but what we don't have evidence for, is God.
There is no evidence of abiogenesis, RNA world, FrankinCell, Boobzilla ,etc yet atheist still believe.

Upvote 0