Why Do I Find 'Repent' Such A Repulsive Word?

nb408

Mar 20, 2013
✟25,931.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I really don't know why, maybe it's sin in me. I willfully submit to God and want him to change my will into his will. I want him to shape me and mold me into what he truly created me to be. I completely agree with the notion that when you sin, let God know you're sorry. Let him know that you acknowledged that it happened and you want to change. I believe this with all my heart and I have no problem with it. However, when I hear the words repent from your sins it makes me want to throw up. Not even joking it really makes me gag like dude that's disgusting. It makes me think of the pharisees who were hypocrites. I don't know why I really really just don't like that word. I'd rather just say submit to God's will, acknowledge your wrongdoings and let GOD change you. It's really that simple. Do you really think you can change your sin nature on your own? When I hear the word repent that's automatically what I think it implies. Is it bad that I find this word so repulsive?

seashale76

Unapologetic Iconodule
Dec 29, 2004
✟173,734.00
Country
United States
Faith
Melkite Catholic
Marital Status
Married
You don't like it because it's easier to not repent. Repeatedly in the scriptures we're told things such as to hear the Word of God and keep it/practice it/obey it (Luke 11:28), and that God has prepared us for good works (Ephesians 2:10), et cetera. Yes, faith is a gift from God, but once you have faith you are asked to actually do something with it. We are to have a faith that works. It requires repentance, which is actively turning from sin. We must take up our cross and endure to the end, run the race, fight the good fight. It's not easy.

Upvote 0

Johnnz

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Aug 3, 2004
New Zealand
✟74,521.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Widowed
Repent is more about a change of perception or understanding. That can cause sorrow of course, but it can also include an 'ah ha' experience "Now I can see why ...." rather than weeping and wailing. From what you wrote you seem fine. Don't get bogged down by some types of preaching.

John
NZ

Upvote 0

Goodbook

Reading the Bible
Jan 22, 2011
New Zealand
Visit site
✟78,875.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
That is so weird.
Repent and believe. Repent means turn around the other way. So if you unbelieving, you start believing. If you stealing, you stop stealing and give back what you stole. If you were, like the woman Jesus saw, caught in adultery, you sin no more..ie. Dont do it and be chaste.

Whats so horrible about that?

Upvote 0

Goodbook

Reading the Bible
Jan 22, 2011
New Zealand
Visit site
✟78,875.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
You might be confused with repentence and conviction.

Also, catholics did call it 'do penance' and they had prescribed ways to do penance that had nothing to do with what the person was doing penance for. I.e. They would pay indulgences, but you cant buy or bribe God. This is what they did in the old days, i dont know if they still so that now.

Upvote 0

Steeno7

Not I...but Christ
Jan 22, 2014
ONUG
✟22,549.00
Faith
Christian
I really don't know why, maybe it's sin in me. I willfully submit to God and want him to change my will into his will. I want him to shape me and mold me into what he truly created me to be. I completely agree with the notion that when you sin, let God know you're sorry. Let him know that you acknowledged that it happened and you want to change. I believe this with all my heart and I have no problem with it. However, when I hear the words repent from your sins it makes me want to throw up. Not even joking it really makes me gag like dude that's disgusting. It makes me think of the pharisees who were hypocrites. I don't know why I really really just don't like that word. I'd rather just say submit to God's will, acknowledge your wrongdoings and let GOD change you. It's really that simple. Do you really think you can change your sin nature on your own? When I hear the word repent that's automatically what I think it implies. Is it bad that I find this word so repulsive?

When repentance is improperly defined as our own self effort to change ourselves, it should be thought of as repulsive. But that's not repentance.

Acknowledging your wrongdoings, is your confession. And submitting to God's will, letting GOD change you, is repentance. So, you are properly engaged in what the word actually implies regardless of whether you like the word or not.

Reactions: Goodbook
Upvote 0

bluegreysky

Can't adult today.
Sep 11, 2006
Saint Augustine, FL
✟22,012.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I don't know, I think everyone has some words they don't like.
I don't like words like "bamboozled" or "poupon" because trying to say an "oo" word makes my mouth/face look like a fish.
"moist" is the #1 most hated word in America.

Upvote 0

Dave-W

Welcoming grandchild #7, Arturus Waggoner!
Site Supporter
Jun 18, 2014
Maryland - just north of D.C.
Visit site
✟771,800.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I can think of a few reasons. Here are 3 but there are probably more.

Reaction of the flesh to a perceived threat to business as usual.
Reaction of a demon who may feel threatened.
Reaction from bad doctrine that leaves our cooperation out of the picture.

John Wesley once said "God has His part and we have our part. God WILL NOT do our part and we CANNOT do God's part." The command to us is to repent. We set out to make the change and God gives us strength to complete the task.

I strongly encourage you to listen to this:

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

sunshine456

Dec 21, 2012
✟11,995.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
We are consistently told through out scriptures to repent. JESUS the son of GOD commanded us to repent, cleanse ourselves and remain faithful. As it was told, "faith without works is dead." repentance is a part of our faith and works it is turning away from bad habits and sin and cleaning ourselves and renewing ourselves.

"Fight the good fight and remain steadfast in our faith; persevering till the end."

The ideal and word or process of repentance is only vile in practice, concept and context to the enemy. We need to be wise in life through the TRUTH; which is JESUS the son of GOD and allow them to strengthen us, and renew us in order overcome...for who can overcome the enemy that is full of deception and lies without the TRUTH; for JESUS the son of GOD is the way, the TRUTH and the life. The only way to the father is through him. Many it would seem miss this and can only they do find the TRUTH and hold on to him unto GOD for dear life.

Resilience builds strengthened character and resolve. For the abundance of honorable character is only found after being tempered by perfect discipline and divine regiment. Repentance brings about growth and change by renewal in the heart and mind of a true believer in JESUS CHRIST.

Praise be to GOD the heavenly father and his son lord JESUS CHRIST forever>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

Upvote 0

Wrexscar

May 15, 2008
Wales
✟15,375.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
UK-Greens
Could people read the original post. Not just the question.

What you are describing is repentance. The reason you don't like the actual word repent is probably personnel
Their are many words I don't like, not because of what they mean but because they have had a new meaning placed on top of them.
I hate evangelism, because I spent a lot of time in a church that only accepted one form of evangelism. The only thing that counted was steering every conversation into "the journey into life" booklet thing. It took me a while to realise I didn't hate evangelism just one particular type beyond all others.
You may hate the word because someone has used the word wrongly to bully you. You don't hate the concept because that is what you are describing.

Reactions: sahjimira
Upvote 0

nb408

Mar 20, 2013
✟25,931.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Could people read the original post. Not just the question.

What you are describing is repentance. The reason you don't like the actual word repent is probably personnel
Their are many words I don't like, not because of what they mean but because they have had a new meaning placed on top of them.
I hate evangelism, because I spent a lot of time in a church that only accepted one form of evangelism. The only thing that counted was steering every conversation into "the journey into life" booklet thing. It took me a while to realise I didn't hate evangelism just one particular type beyond all others.
You may hate the word because someone has used the word wrongly to bully you. You don't hate the concept because that is what you are describing.
I agree, I love the concept but the word has been used wrongly so many times that now it's my least favorite word. The only people I see using that word are hardcore baptists who say REPENT because God hates gays and God hates this and that. Maybe that's why I dislike it so much because all I see is people trying to belittle others and it breaks my heart.

Upvote 0

paul1149

that your faith might rest in the power of God
Site Supporter
Mar 22, 2011
NY
✟674,964.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
The only people I see using that word are hardcore baptists who say REPENT because God hates gays and God hates this and that. Maybe that's why I dislike it so much because all I see is people trying to belittle others and it breaks my heart.

You may be a victim of the dominant culture, which never ceases to picture Christians as unloving hypocrites. And, of course, there are always some with the Christian label who are happy to substantiate the caricature. But that doesn't change the normal state of Christianity, which is about speaking the truth in love. Repentance is simply metanoia, a change of mind (lit., to perceive afterwards (meta, "after," implying "change) -Vine's), and it should be viewed in the context of God's love in Christ reaching out through us (though, admittedly, sometimes love has to be tough, as even Jesus modeled). Unfortunately we don't always get it right, and the world loves to point out our shortcomings in order to excuse itself from the Message.

Upvote 0

Goodbook

Reading the Bible
Jan 22, 2011
New Zealand
Visit site
✟78,875.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
Prolly cos John the baptist called people to repent?
Not everyone listened, but those who got baptised did. Its calling sinners to repent, which one needs to do before one believes. Its always, repent and believe, not the other way round.

You might see it as evangelicals bullying people....yet God called Jonah and told him to do just that for the Ninevites. Because He loved them and was being mericiful. He was going to destroy them in 40 days. They repented in sackcloth and ashes and fasted...and God repented from destroying them.

So...depends on your perspective I guess. Repentence is a good thing, and is in the Word of God. I dont know what other word you may use.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

nb408

Mar 20, 2013
✟25,931.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
And if you read the book of Jonah, Jonah actually did not want to tell the Ninevites that they needed to repent.
I have no problem with repenting. The act of it makes a lot of sense. It's basically to turn your back on the old things of sin and become a new person in Jesus Christ. I think that's great. For some reason I really don't like that word though. Maybe it's because nobody really explained what it meant before they threw it at me. Also because half the people who use it don't really know what it means. It's like saying "Change." The person who hears it is like what? Change to what? Why? So many things that it could imply with no explanation. No I don't struggle with homosexuality but I was just using that as an example because I see it being thrown around a lot.

Upvote 0

Catherineanne

Sep 1, 2004
Europe
✟76,860.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Widowed

Yes, it is bad that a relatively simple word has so much power over you. Perhaps you have heard it misused too often.

It simply means a person realising they are on the wrong path and finding the right one.

Upvote 0

Catherineanne

Sep 1, 2004
Europe
✟76,860.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Widowed
I have no problem with repenting. The act of it makes a lot of sense. It's basically to turn your back on the old things of sin and become a new person in Jesus Christ. I think that's great. For some reason I really don't like that word though. Maybe it's because nobody really explained what it meant before they threw it at me. Also because half the people who use it don't really know what it means. It's like saying "Change." The person who hears it is like what? Change to what? Why? So many things that it could imply with no explanation. No I don't struggle with homosexuality but I was just using that as an example because I see it being thrown around a lot.

No, it is not about changing us; it is about changing the direction of our lives. Repent means changing our path.

The changing ourselves bit comes before the changing our path bit. If we had not changed already we would not realise that we need to change direction. In other words Grace first, then conviction of sin, then changing direction. We do not repent of our sins; we feel sorrow for our sins and then we repent; we change direction.

Upvote 0