Dec 18, 2001
R'lyeh
✟49,383.00
Faith
Catholic
Politics
US-Others
Lion & the Lamb said:
I was talking about monks who come to God some other way other than the way He has designed through His Son -Jesus Christ.
No brother, you didn't say that. Let me refresh your memory:
Budhists and monks go to hell
That looks pretty straightforward and comprehensive. It's not a partial or specialized statement at all.

And if, by some chance, they do "come to God," it doesn't really matter as far as your personal salvation is concerned, does it? ;) :p

Where did I attempt to sit in the judgement seat of Christ? Have you forgotten what Paul said in 1Co 6:2 "Don't you know that God's people will judge the world? Well, then, if you are to judge the world, aren't you capable of judging small matters?"
1Co 6:3 "Do you not know that we shall judge the angels? How much more, then, the things of this life!"

and when did I give the signal that I was without blemish and with total knowledge and wisdom? I'm just a sinner like you and needed the same blood of Christ for the forgiveness of my many sins. I was just stating what the Bible believes. Without the shedding of blood there's no remission of sins - Heb 9:22 "Indeed, according to the Law almost everything is purified by blood, and sins are forgiven only if blood is poured out."
When you mandate that a certain person will go to Hell -- saying, "Budhists and monks go to hell" -- you are attempting to usurp the Judgment Seat of Christ.

That's the only way God has designed for mankind to approach Him. Black and white! If God has spoken truth through the channel of the Scriptures, and I keep my mouth zipped when I know about it, then your blood will be on my head. But as for now it's no longer on me and I am not at all responsible!
Are you sure that's a good attitude to have, to share the gospel, then be done with a person? Jesus did not inform and retreat, rather He pursued, albeit with utter love, compassion, and humility, through unobtrusive service.

Upvote 0
L

Lion & the Lamb

Joe said: When you mandate that a certain person will go to Hell -- saying, "Budhists and monks go to hell" -- you are attempting to usurp the Judgment Seat of Christ.

Now I see you are pointing a finger at me, right there... ;)
That is only what you think my brother. But what I'm doing is proclaiming what has already been said. I would not have believed all have sinned including me, if the Bible had not already said "all have sinned". I would not be a believer in salvation through faith in Christ if the Bible did not say so. I would not be a believer in heaven and hell if the Bible did not expose it... If the Bible did not condemn them already(Jn. 3:18), those who do not have the Son, only then I'd be at fault in attempting to usurp the judgement seat of Christ. The Bible clearly states that "whoever believes in the Son has eternal life, but whoever rejects the Son will not see life, for God's wrath remains on Him. ( Jn. 3:36) This is not fiction but Fact! It's up to the individual to either accept or reject the Son.

Joe said: Are you sure that's a good attitude to have, to share the gospel, then be done with a person? Jesus did not inform and retreat, rather He pursued, albeit with utter love, compassion, and humility, through unobtrusive service.

As you already know that God sent His Son to die only once. Jesus does not have to keep coming to earth to die again and again for those who do not believe. The truth is already there and it only takes one to believe it. Of course we are to speak the truth in utter love and compassion and what if the person rejects the message of the Gospel? I'm sure you're not going to forse them to accept it... I'd know that I've done my share and let the Holy spirit :pray: do the convicting part.

Upvote 0

ObbiQuiet

Eating Heart
Jul 12, 2003
The Desert
Visit site
✟4,934.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Rainangel said:
:cry:
Please :help: me understand this question. Why should truely GOOD people who may or may not have heard the message of Jesus Christ spend eternity in hell, eternally separated from God? I am a Christian, and I recently went through a questioning phase, but have come out of it with renewed faith. BUT my questions remain unanswered. That is okay for me because I believe anyway, but what about my ex-boyfriend, who used to be an atheist and has how turned to Buddhism? He is respectful of Christianity, and has even read the Bible, but his questions and objections reguarding Christianity are too hard to counter. We broke up 2 days ago, and are both hurting over it. The reason is because I've always known in the back of my mind that I shouldn't marry him because he is a nonbeliever, and we know we shouldn't get more attached to eachother if ultimately it will not work. I am also respectful of Buddhism and have read much about it with him. Buddhist teachings are very wise and honorable, I think. They teach compassion for all mankind and selflessness. I still care deeply about my ex-boyfriend, and wish I had more to say in defence of Christianity. He is a very moral person, who is innately honest and of good, compassionate character, but he is not a Christian.

I am buddhist, used to be atheist. My gf and I had the same problem (she was quaker), broke up. I am sorry for the breakup.

As for the topic: I do find it is horrible. However, since I was once christian (catholic to be exact) let me tell you what I had once thought of God:

I used to believe the bible was written by men who put their own spin into things. It's evident with the contradictions, scientific innacuracies et cetera. A benevolent God would let benevolent people into heaven, dispite if they believed in him or not.

Anyway. I hope that helped.

Upvote 0
Jun 24, 2003
The Dalles, OR
✟5,260.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
ObbiQuiet said:
jeffthefinn

I like your opinions. I feel you are a true free-thinker. :)
Thank you ObbiQuiet. I do not view myself as a freethinker, but I have studied Buddhist spirituality and find that the 4 Noble truths and eightfold path to enlightenment are not that much different from what a Christian is called to do. Words and what we name things, if it is just speech it is meaningless, if we live the life of compassion then that is real be it in a Christian framework or a Buddhist one. Those who are humble and know their own nothingness will recieve Mercy and those who think they know it all, and have the divine in a box will miss out.
Thanks again.
Jeff the Finn

Upvote 0

FOMWatts<><

Follower of the Way
Jan 6, 2002
Nacogdoches, Texas
Visit site
✟15,970.00
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
jeffthefinn said:
Thank you ObbiQuiet. I do not view myself as a freethinker, but I have studied Buddhist spirituality and find that the 4 Noble truths and eightfold path to enlightenment are not that much different from what a Christian is called to do. Words and what we name things, if it is just speech it is meaningless, if we live the life of compassion then that is real be it in a Christian framework or a Buddhist one. Those who are humble and know their own nothingness will recieve Mercy and those who think they know it all, and have the divine in a box will miss out.
Thanks again.
Jeff the Finn

Man, I wish that were true! I truly desire for that to be the Truth. I find it odd that an "Orthodox Christian" believes that, but I guess nothing should surprise me anymore. I could agree with you if the 4 noble goals of Buddhism is to spread the gospel of Jesus Christ. THAT is what a Christian is called to do through their life of love and compassion. Now does this mean sugarcoating the Truth of God's Word? No. Does it mean buffereing the Truth so that more may find it acceptable? No. It means displaying it for what it is...

2 Corinthians 4:1Therefore, since through God's mercy we have this ministry, we do not lose heart. 2Rather, we have renounced secret and shameful ways; we do not use deception, nor do we distort the word of God. On the contrary, by setting forth the truth plainly we commend ourselves to every man's conscience in the sight of God. 3And even if our gospel is veiled, it is veiled to those who are perishing. 4The god of this age has blinded the minds of unbelievers, so that they cannot see the light of the gospel of the glory of Christ, who is the image of God. 5For we do not preach ourselves, but Jesus Christ as Lord, and ourselves as your servants for Jesus' sake. 6For God, who said, "Let light shine out of darkness," made his light shine in our hearts to give us the light of the knowledge of the glory of God in the face of Christ.

The Christians charge is not to preach the 4 Noble Goals (which I agree are noble goals), but to live a life of love telling people of the Savior that God sent to this world to be the redemption for their sins. Even Buddhist Monks sin and need a Savior. No one is righteous, not ONE.

Romans 3

9What shall we conclude then? Are we any better[1] ? Not at all! We have already made the charge that Jews and Gentiles alike are all under sin. 10As it is written:
"There is no one righteous, not even one;
11there is no one who understands,
no one who seeks God.

We are not justified by being "good", but by having faith in the Savior He sent to us.

Galatians 3:1 You foolish Galatians! Who has bewitched you? Before your very eyes Jesus Christ was clearly portrayed as crucified. 2I would like to learn just one thing from you: Did you receive the Spirit by observing the law, or by believing what you heard? 3Are you so foolish? After beginning with the Spirit, are you now trying to attain your goal by human effort? 4Have you suffered so much for nothing--if it really was for nothing? 5Does God give you his Spirit and work miracles among you because you observe the law, or because you believe what you heard?
6Consider Abraham: "He believed God, and it was credited to him as righteousness." 7Understand, then, that those who believe are children of Abraham. 8The Scripture foresaw that God would justify the Gentiles by faith, and announced the gospel in advance to Abraham: "All nations will be blessed through you." 9So those who have faith are blessed along with Abraham, the man of faith.
10All who rely on observing the law are under a curse, for it is written: "Cursed is everyone who does not continue to do everything written in the Book of the Law." 11Clearly no one is justified before God by the law, because, "The righteous will live by faith." 12The law is not based on faith; on the contrary, "The man who does these things will live by them." 13Christ redeemed us from the curse of the law by becoming a curse for us, for it is written: "Cursed is everyone who is hung on a tree."14 He redeemed us in order that the blessing given to Abraham might come to the Gentiles through Christ Jesus, so that by faith we might receive the promise of the Spirit.

THAT is why good people go to hell, because they have rejected the Savior that God sent for them and are still in their sins. That si the ONLY reason someone can go to hell. It isn't by being good, it isn't by facing the East or the West and praying349856734967 times a day, it isn't by memorizing scripture or knocking on people's doors. It isn't by any kind of WORK one can think of to do, it is by the GRACE of God that we are given the opportunity to accept the sacrifice of Jesus Christ and have forgiveness for our sins.

Blessings and Prayers,

FOMWatts<><

Upvote 0

FOMWatts<><

Follower of the Way
Jan 6, 2002
Nacogdoches, Texas
Visit site
✟15,970.00
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
ObbiQuiet said:
I used to believe the bible was written by men who put their own spin into things. It's evident with the contradictions, scientific innacuracies et cetera.

Still waiting on those contradictions...

FOM<><

Upvote 0

vajradhara

Diamond Thunderbolt of Indestructable Wisdom
Jun 25, 2003
Dharmadhatu
✟19,720.00
Faith
Buddhist
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Others
FOMWatts<>< said:
Still waiting on those contradictions...

FOM<><

hey mod... there is a great thread in the scientific section on some of this... 6 thousand year old earth and so forth....

Upvote 0

FOMWatts<><

Follower of the Way
Jan 6, 2002
Nacogdoches, Texas
Visit site
✟15,970.00
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
vajradhara said:
hey mod... there is a great thread in the scientific section on some of this... 6 thousand year old earth and so forth....

And where in the Bible does it claim that the Earth is only 6,000 years old? The Bible does not claim that, you may have run into a believer that claims that, but the Bible does not define the age of the earth.

As I said, waiting on a contradiction... : a proposition, statement, or phrase that asserts or implies both the truth and falsity of something.

Blessings,

FOMWatts<><

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums
Jun 24, 2003
The Dalles, OR
✟5,260.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
THAT is why good people go to hell, because they have rejected the Savior that God sent for them and are still in their sins.
How do you reject Christ? Is it because one does not say a Sinner's Prayer? Or is it because of Spiritual Pride? I am not God, I do not condemn people to hell, neither does Our Lord condemn people to hell. The only people who will be in hell will be those who refuse to be loved and forgiven, no one else. The Great and Holy Pascha was for all people without exception, "Even So in Christ shall all be made alive." In Matthew 25 Our Lord tells us what the judgement is going to be like, and what we will be asked. He is not going to ask if we could quote the Bible, or if we went to Church, if we took Him as Our Personal Saviour and Lord, none of that. We will be asked, did you feed the hungry, visit those in prison, heal the sick and so forth.
Jeff the Finn

Upvote 0

FOMWatts<><

Follower of the Way
Jan 6, 2002
Nacogdoches, Texas
Visit site
✟15,970.00
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
jeffthefinn said:
How do you reject Christ? Is it because one does not say a Sinner's Prayer? Or is it because of Spiritual Pride? I am not God, I do not condemn people to hell, neither does Our Lord condemn people to hell.

Mark 16

15He said to them, "Go into all the world and preach the good news to all creation. 16Whoever believes and is baptized will be saved, but whoever does not believe will be condemned.

Tell me, who condemns these people that do not believe the Gospel Truth?

[quoteThe only people who will be in hell will be those who refuse to be loved and forgiven, no one else.[/quote]

Where is this in God's Word?

The Great and Holy Pascha was for all people without exception, "Even So in Christ shall all be made alive."

Who is Pashha? And do you not know that none are righteous , not ONE? I don't even know who that is, but the Good Book says that there are none that are holy.

In Matthew 25 Our Lord tells us what the judgement is going to be like, and what we will be asked. He is not going to ask if we could quote the Bible, or if we went to Church, if we took Him as Our Personal Saviour and Lord, none of that.
You seem to take Christ out of the equation of getting into Heaven and HE is the ONLY way to get their, for it is our faith in Him that justifies us freely by God's grace, nothing to do with works. Works will come naturally, by the will of God, but they are NOT how we get into Heaven...

Colossians 1:21 Once you were alienated from God and were enemies in your minds because of your evil behavior. 22But now he has reconciled you by Christ's physical body through death to present you holy in his sight, without blemish and free from accusation-- If you continue in your faithestablished and firm, not moved from the hope held out in the gospel.

If we continue in our faith we are made right in God's sight, nit by the good things we do.

We will be asked, did you feed the hungry, visit those in prison, heal the sick and so forth.

If you are found without Christ then you will be asked these questions. You will also have to answer this question..."What have you to say of this sin in your life?...and when there is no payment..."The wages of sin is death. Depart from me, I knew you not. You are the weakest link buh bye!" For if their sins are not covered by Christ then their is no sacrifice for their sins. Where in God's Word does it mention that even the unbeliever's will be saved? It doesn't.

Blessings and Prayers,

FOMWatts<><

Upvote 0
Jun 24, 2003
The Dalles, OR
✟5,260.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
If I am not mistaken Our Lord was crucified and rose again for the sins of the whole world, not just those who accept Jesus as their Personal Saviour and Lord. At the last Judgement He will forgive all, but not all will accept that forgiveness and the Light of Christ will then be for them the fires of hell.
Jeff the Finn

Upvote 0

oneiric

redeemed
Jun 27, 2003
✟15,732.00
Faith
Christian
Volos said:
Are you saying that a child molesting mass murder will go to heaven so long as he or she believes the above?

If so if really speaks bad of your religion.
Actually, I tghink that is incredibly special. Humans sin so much and we are incapable of being perfect. But God can wipe away all of our sins if we repent and accept the Lord Jesus Christ. I find that it is just so loving. I've sinned a lot and it gives me great comfort to know that nobody is too big a sinner to have God turn them away. Christ's blood will wash it away, and that speaks greatly of Christianity.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Nathan David

Sep 5, 2002
Saint Paul, MN
Visit site
✟2,226.00
Faith
Atheist
I've done a few things in my time I'm not proud of, but I refuse to be lumped into the same "sin" category as a mass-murdering child-molester.

So basically it works like this: a Buddhist monk who has never done anything to hurt anyone else goes to hell because he prayed to the wrong 2000-year-old dead guy.

But a child-molesting mass murderer who repents and accepts Jesus on his deathbed goes to heaven.

And nothing about this bothers you?

Upvote 0

tcampen

Veteran
Jul 14, 2003
✟18,632.00
Faith
Unitarian
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
"Humans sin so much and we are incapable of being perfect. But God can wipe away all of our sins if we repent and accept the Lord Jesus Christ. I find that it is just so loving. I've sinned a lot and it gives me great comfort to know that nobody is too"

You know, while this may be love, it is conditional love. It is conditioned on certain beliefs, taking certain acts, and committing oneself to certain things. It is not unconditional, as God has made some clear requirements.

So if one were to compare two Gods, ones practices conditional love as stated above, and the other practices unconditional love - both as evidenced by their deeds - which one is the more loving god?

I'm siding with the one that practices UNCONDITIONAL love, for it is a higher virtue. So if there is only one god, and that god does not display the most virtuous form of love, then that god is not as good as he can be, and therefore not perfect.

Follow the syllogism?

Upvote 0

oneiric

redeemed
Jun 27, 2003
✟15,732.00
Faith
Christian
Nathan David said:
I've done a few things in my time I'm not proud of, but I refuse to be lumped into the same "sin" category as a mass-murdering child-molester.

So basically it works like this: a Buddhist monk who has never done anything to hurt anyone else goes to hell because he prayed to the wrong 2000-year-old dead guy.

But a child-molesting mass murderer who repents and accepts Jesus on his deathbed goes to heaven.

And nothing about this bothers you?
If the buddhist has never heard of Christ, then it is not my place to judge. But if he has and has willingly chose to refuse Him, then he will not enter the kingdom of God.

And while my sins are not quite as drastic as a child molester etc, I am still a fallen no good sinner.

Upvote 0
Jun 24, 2003
The Dalles, OR
✟5,260.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
This quote from Mother Teresa who is a Saint I saw on the Current Events forum Mother Teresa thread, I think says a great deal about how we should view other religions.
"There is only one God and He is God to all; therefore it is important that everyone is seen as equal before God. I've always said we should help a Hindu become a better Hindu, a Muslim become a better Muslim, a Catholic become a better Catholic."--Mother Teresa
As the old Jesus people song went they will know we are Christians by our love, not our preaching hell fire.
Jeff the Finn

Upvote 0