Jul 3, 2011
✟88,257.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
The old way, there was emotional music that sometimes began before the pastor even finished his sermon. Then as the sermon wound down, an 'invitation' was made to 'come forward' and 'accept Jesus as your savior.' When this happened, someone was there to sit you down on the front pew and hand you a card to fill out. After it appeared that no more people would come forward, the music would stop and those who came forward would stand up, be turned around to face the congregation, and voted on right then or there as to whether the person should be allowed to join the church, either by profession of faith, personal 'statement,' or 'transfer by letter' from a 'sister' church where they had previously been a member, within the institutional denomination.

I've finally come to understand the fact that with so many religions and denominations out there, that people may want to join a given church, which usually results in voting rights that will affect the future policies and direction of that church, without necessarily agreeing with that church's doctrine and the way established members want that church to go. So it's now the trend that 'we can't just let anybody in' for some churches, unless they want to risk being taken over by people whose beliefs could destroy the church by turning it into something completely different from what it may have been from it's founding. The person is met with by a pastor long after the service is over to make sure they agree with certain written statements, then made to attend a "New Member's Class" which could go on for weeks, weeding people out just through lack of perseverence to finish the process, then look over a one-sided contract document where they check boxes and sign at the bottom in agreement with the statements. They must also write something about their salvation experience while there, or at another church, to be evaluated by staff as part of the "Membership Application."

So, you 'walk the aisle' just to let the 'men at the front' know (or women, depending on the church), that you want to be baptized and join the church. Whether joining the old school way or the current newer way, when you go down, you'll be watched by all the people who are standing while the emotional music plays. Billy Graham did the same thing at his crusades, so anyone old enough has seen it, if only on TV. They would come in droves down every aisle and across the stadium field.

Once the 'invitation' is over, pastors today will still announce that anyone who want's to 'talk with someone' about 'what it means to have a personal relationship with Jesus' to come meet with them after the service ends, as 'there will (still) be men at the front to greet' them.

It suddenly dawned on me recently that the whole 'invitation' time could be skipped. Whether you 'walk the aisle' during the emotional music, or find someone to talk to after the service is over, the process from the point you shake their hand is the same. There is no instant membership anymore.

So why have an 'invitation time' at all? Why not just end the service with the exact same announcement as is given after the invitation, and let people walk down and talk to one of the men (or women) as everyone is leaving? They would then be advised to meet with a pastor and/or attend the New Members Class, the same as they would be told after walking the aisle during the invitation?

Why the spectacle? My Bible says that after hearing the gospel preached, people would line up, sometimes by the thousands, to be baptized. Just being dunked counted as a public acknowledgement that you believed what had just been preached, no? In any event, if there's a scripture somewhere that mentions requirements of a 'public profession' being made in order to be saved, and what exactly constitutes such, I'd love to know where it is and read it. There's John 3:11, which I presume is the primary basis for Baptists and other churches to encourage baptism, but no mention there of a public routine or invitation spectacle required, much less meetings with pastors, new member classes, boxes to be checked, or one-way contracts that must be signed.

Last edited:

SkyWriting

The Librarian
Site Supporter
Jan 10, 2010
Milwaukee
✟410,948.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
The old way, there was emotional music that sometimes began before the pastor even finished his sermon. Then as the sermon wound down, an 'invitation' was made to 'come forward' and 'accept Jesus as your savior.' When this happened, someone was there to sit you down on the front pew and hand you a card to fill out. After it appeared that no more people would come forward, the music would stop and those who came forward would stand up, be turned around to face the congregation, and voted on right then or there as to whether the person should be allowed to join the church, either by profession of faith, personal 'statement,' or 'transfer by letter' from a 'sister' church where they had previously been a member, within the institutional denomination.

I've finally come to understand the fact that with so many religions and denominations out there, that people may want to join a given church, which usually results in voting rights that will affect the future policies and direction of that church, without necessarily agreeing with that church's doctrine and the way established members want that church to go. So it's now the trend that 'we can't just let anybody in' for some churches, unless they want to risk being taken over by people whose beliefs could destroy the church by turning it into something completely different from what it may have been from it's founding. The person is met with by a pastor long after the service is over to make sure they agree with certain written statements, then made to attend a "New Member's Class" which could go on for weeks and look over a one-sided contract document where they check boxes and sign at the bottom in agreement with the statements. The must also write something about their salvation experience while there, or at another church, to be evaluated by staff as part of the "Membership Application."

So, you 'walk the aisle' just to let the 'men at the front' know (or women, depending on the church), that you want to be Baptized and join the church. Whether joining the old school way or the current newer way, when you go down, you'll be watched by all the people who are standing while the emotional music plays. Billy Graham did the same thing at his crusades, so anyone old enough has seen it, if only on TV. They would come in droves down every aisle and across the stadium field.

Once the 'invitation' is over, pastors today will still announce that anyone who want's to 'talk with someone' about 'what it means to have a personal relationship with Jesus' to come meet with them after the service ends, as 'there will (still) be men at the front to greet' them.

It suddenly dawned on me recently that the whole 'invitation' time could be skipped. Whether you 'walk the aisle' during the emotional music, or find someone to talk to after the service is over, the process from the point you shake their hand is the same. There is no instant membership anymore.

So why have an 'invitation time' at all? Why not just end the service with the exact same announcement as is given after the invitation, and let people walk down and talk to one of the men (or women) as everyone is leaving? They would then be advised to meet with a pastor and/or attend the New Members Class, the same as they would be told after walking the aisle during the invitation?

Why the spectacle? My Bible says that after hearing the gospel preached, people would line up, sometimes by the thousands, to be baptized. If there's a scripture somewhere that mentions requirements of a 'public profession' being made in order to be saved, and what exactly constitutes such, I'd love to know where it is and read it. There's John 3:11, which I presume is the primary basis for Baptists and other churches to encourage Baptism, but no mention there of a public routine or invitation spectacle required, nor meetings with pastors, new member classes, boxes to be checked, or one-way contracts that must be signed.

I've stopped attending those invitation events. People should come up at the end of the service and be asking how to join on their own. But that why evangelism is not my gift. Others can have it.

Upvote 0

yeshuaslavejeff

simple truth, martyr, disciple of Yahshua
Jan 6, 2005
okie
✟214,996.00
Faith
Anabaptist
My Bible says that after hearing the gospel preached, people would line up, sometimes by the thousands, to be baptized.

And the Same Bible says that, not just at the start, but throughout life, the public confession or maybe testimony of a persons life and words testifying of Jesus is needed,
otherwise Jesus will not stand up for them before the Father in heaven.

(sorry; just notices what section this is in; ignore it if it's not what you're looking for from non-Baptist)

Reactions: JCFantasy23
Upvote 0

justme6272

Jul 3, 2011
✟88,257.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
I've stopped attending those invitation events. People should come up at the end of the service and be asking how to join on their own. But that why evangelism is not my gift. Others can have it.
I'm not sure what an 'invitation event' is unless you're saying that you skip church services altogether because they include that step at the end. You could just walk out as soon as the emotional music starts.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

SkyWriting

The Librarian
Site Supporter
Jan 10, 2010
Milwaukee
✟410,948.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I'm not sure what an 'invitation event' is unless you're saying that you skip church services altogether because they include that step at the end. You could just walk out as soon as the emotional music starts.
Most denominations do not include an invitation to be saved in the service.

Upvote 0

PloverWing

Episcopalian
May 5, 2012
New Jersey
✟336,053.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
I grew up Southern Baptist, in a church where every Sunday service ended with an invitation. I now belong to a church that does not have that kind of invitation in the service, so I'm aware that not all forms of worship include an invitation. With that said, here's why a church might offer an invitation at every service:

There's something to be said for asking people to think about what's been said in the sermon, right here and right now, and decide whether to act on it. This is especially true if it's an evangelistic sermon. A person might listen to a preacher talking about the importance of following Jesus, and say to themselves, "Hmm, that's interesting, I'll go home and think about it," and maybe they never quite get around to thinking about it further. The idea of the invitation is to say "Don't put off thinking about it till later. Think about it right now. Do you want to commit yourself to following Jesus?"

The call of God comes in different ways to different people, and not everyone becomes a Christian in one single moment of decision. But some people do. The invitation presses the person who's on the edge of decision to go ahead and act right now.

Upvote 0

DeaconDean

γέγονα χαλκὸς, κύμβαλον ἀλαλάζον
Jul 19, 2005
Gastonia N.C. (Piedmont of N.C.)
✟100,334.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Your talking about the "Altar call".

It did not start in the early 1800's, but that is what its most famous for.

It does have roots from the late 1700's, but it became widely accepted and used during what became known as the "Great Awakening".

And the person most remembered for it is "Charles Grandison Finny".

Being as since your in the Baptist area, let me show you this:

"Christian baptism is the immersion of a believer in water in the name of the Father, the Son, and the Holy Spirit. It is an act of obedience symbolizing the believer's faith in a crucified, buried, and risen Saviour, the believer's death to sin, the burial of the old life, and the resurrection to walk in newness of life in Christ Jesus. It is a testimony to his faith in the final resurrection of the dead."

Baptist Faith and Message of 2000, Baptism and the Lord's Supper

in light of Mt. 10:32, why would you hesitate to make your confession public?

Just saying.

God Bless

Till all are one.

Reactions: twin1954
Upvote 0

SkyWriting

The Librarian
Site Supporter
Jan 10, 2010
Milwaukee
✟410,948.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I grew up Southern Baptist, in a church where every Sunday service ended with an invitation. I now belong to a church that does not have that kind of invitation in the service, so I'm aware that not all forms of worship include an invitation. With that said, here's why a church might offer an invitation at every service:

There's something to be said for asking people to think about what's been said in the sermon, right here and right now, and decide whether to act on it. This is especially true if it's an evangelistic sermon. A person might listen to a preacher talking about the importance of following Jesus, and say to themselves, "Hmm, that's interesting, I'll go home and think about it," and maybe they never quite get around to thinking about it further. The idea of the invitation is to say "Don't put off thinking about it till later. Think about it right now. Do you want to commit yourself to following Jesus?"

The call of God comes in different ways to different people, and not everyone becomes a Christian in one single moment of decision. But some people do. The invitation presses the person who's on the edge of decision to go ahead and act right now.

Southern Baptist are the only denomination that I recall has an alter call. But I'm sure others do as well.

Upvote 0

ml5363

Jan 6, 2016
Tennessee
✟28,267.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Unfortunately altar calls are falling by the wayside..that being said it isn't just a big show, or just for growing the numbers

We have altar call for prayer at the altar, you can also stay in your pew
Wanting to accept Christ, wanting to join church, to surrender to preach, etc

Not all churches do applications either...the two churches I attended that I saw someone walk the aisle ...just were ask along the Roman road...later on at current church are asked if they want to be baptized...

Upvote 0

Hazelelponi

:sighing:
Site Supporter
Jun 25, 2018
USA
✟691,408.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican

I've finally come to understand the fact that with so many religions and denominations out there, that people may want to join a given church, which usually results in voting rights that will affect the future policies and direction of that church, without necessarily agreeing with that church's doctrine and the way established members want that church to go. So it's now the trend that 'we can't just let anybody in' for some churches, unless they want to risk being taken over by people whose beliefs could destroy the church by turning it into something completely different from what it may have been from it's founding. The person is met with by a pastor long after the service is over to make sure they agree with certain written statements, then made to attend a "New Member's Class" which could go on for weeks, weeding people out just through lack of perseverence to finish the process, then look over a one-sided contract document where they check boxes and sign at the bottom in agreement with the statements. They must also write something about their salvation experience while there, or at another church, to be evaluated by staff as part of the "Membership Application."

So, you 'walk the aisle' just to let the 'men at the front' know (or women, depending on the church), that you want to be baptized and join the church. Whether joining the old school way or the current newer way, when you go down, you'll be watched by all the people who are standing while the emotional music plays. Billy Graham did the same thing at his crusades, so anyone old enough has seen it, if only on TV. They would come in droves down every aisle and across the stadium field.

Why the spectacle? My Bible says that after hearing the gospel preached, people would line up, sometimes by the thousands, to be baptized. Just being dunked counted as a public acknowledgement that you believed what had just been preached, no? In any event, if there's a scripture somewhere that mentions requirements of a 'public profession' being made in order to be saved, and what exactly constitutes such, I'd love to know where it is and read it. There's John 3:11, which I presume is the primary basis for Baptists and other churches to encourage baptism, but no mention there of a public routine or invitation spectacle required, much less meetings with pastors, new member classes, boxes to be checked, or one-way contracts that must be signed.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

justme6272

Jul 3, 2011
✟88,257.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
As early as 0:24 he uses the word 'involved' which can take place without FORMAL church membership. Then as expected, and as is the case with pastors everywhere, he says 'it's Biblical.' I could have bet a million dollars he was going to say that cause I've heard it all before. No, FORMAL church membership, attending classes, filling out forms, waiting a month or a year, signing contracts, being interviewed by deacons or elders, etc. etc. is NOT Biblical. Being 'involved' is what's Biblical.

He should have quit while he was ahead, which was in the first half minute of the interview. I stopped it immediately after that.

• Agree
Reactions: twin1954
Upvote 0

Hazelelponi

:sighing:
Site Supporter
Jun 25, 2018
USA
✟691,408.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
As early as 0:24 he uses the word 'involved' which can take place without FORMAL church membership. Then as expected, and as is the case with pastors everywhere, he says 'it's Biblical.' I could have bet a million dollars he was going to say that cause I've heard it all before. No, FORMAL church membership, attending classes, filling out forms, waiting a month or a year, signing contracts, being interviewed by deacons or elders, etc. etc. is NOT Biblical. Being 'involved' is what's Biblical.

He should have quit while he was ahead, which was in the first half minute of the interview. I stopped it immediately after that.

what's formal about writing your name, address, and phone number on a card so the Church has your information?

That's not formal. It's not a legal document... It's a card they can put in their file so if you are sick they can call or come visit you, or so they can call you during the prayer chain..

There is a mission school in my area who recently experienced a fire. They reached out to all the churches in our area for help as the students needed washers and dryers because of all the smoke damage to their bedding and clothing, and were hoping people would open up their homes to the students to give them a place to sleep for some of the most affected while repairs were under way.

The Mission school reached out to my church and everyone was called, then people in turn drove over to the Mission school to offer homes, washers and dryers and assistance.

Things happen (floods, power outages, fires and more), and as a Christian community this is what we do. It's not "formal" for someone to have your information JIC they might need it, and it seems a little extreme to worry about someone having your information on a card in a file, or people shaking your hand and welcoming you to the community of believers.

When your freaking out over the potential that someone might call you or visit you, then you have to ask yourself if your really joining with the body of Christ in a Biblical way.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Phillip Huffman

Kingdom Technologist
Dec 27, 2016
San Antonio, TX
✟14,705.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution
Guess I'm on the flip side of this one.
I've grown to despise many unscriptural traditional practices and this one is a mixed issue.

The call to repentance at the end of preaching is entirely reasonable and spiritually practical.
Business suits, ties, elevated platform and a so-called altar are not. Most baptist churches dont have burnt sacrifices.These things are almost purely traditional and glorify humans and human constructs.
The music is practical - it ministers to the spirits of those in attendance and guides the final call. If it feels manipulative, it is, but if the call is to repentance and surrender to Christ, then it it is a righteous and holy use of it, just as reasoning may minister to the mind and manipulate the hearer to obedience.
That being said, the OP has a point that the spectacle unnecessary. Perhaps the
practice is just too over used. Certainly regular attendees may become numb to it and then theres the question of whether it is a good practice at a gathering of believers - among the lost is one thing but in what amounts to a fellowship or believer's study, maybe not so often?

Now, the church membership practices? That's mostly a man-made empire building thing. There is a scriptural basis for a letter of introductiion but that was for practical necessity in more dangerous times rather than this 'letter of membership' foolishness.

If a person confesses Jesus is the Christ, has received him as their saviour, then receive them as a brother, enough said.

Upvote 0

DeaconDean

γέγονα χαλκὸς, κύμβαλον ἀλαλάζον
Jul 19, 2005
Gastonia N.C. (Piedmont of N.C.)
✟100,334.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Guess I'm on the flip side of this one.
I've grown to despise many unscriptural traditional practices and this one is a mixed issue.

No doubt.

The call to repentance at the end of preaching is entirely reasonable and spiritually practical.

No argument there.

Business suits, ties, elevated platform and a so-called altar are not. Most baptist churches dont have burnt sacrifices.These things are almost purely traditional and glorify humans and human constructs.

Not necessarily.

Didn't Jesus say:

"See thou tell no man; but go thy way, shew thyself to the priest, and offer the gift that Moses commanded, for a testimony unto them.' -Mt. 8:4 (KJV)

Debatable. You see, I was raised in a different time period. We always dressed up for Sunday services. Wednesday night Bible study was a totally different matter. However, if the best you had was blue jeans, nobody would say anything.

God gave us His best, why wouldn't we do the same?

The music is practical - it ministers to the spirits of those in attendance and guides the final call. If it feels manipulative, it is, but if the call is to repentance and surrender to Christ, then it it is a righteous and holy use of it, just as reasoning may minister to the mind and manipulate the hearer to obedience.

You had me up until you said:

manipulate the hearer

I remember reading somewhere where the call to repentance was a "work of the Holy Spirit" not for the pastor to "manipulate" the person.

If a Pastor has to "manipulate" somebody, is it repentance, true repentance that brings salvation? No.

That being said, the OP has a point that the spectacle unnecessary. Perhaps the practice is just too over used. Certainly regular attendees may become numb to it and then theres the question of whether it is a good practice at a gathering of believers - among the lost is one thing but in what amounts to a fellowship or believer's study, maybe not so often?

Are you taking now about the invitation to repent that is for everybody Christians included, or just the call to sinners to repentance?

That is a double edged sword there. During a few "revivals", I have seen what I thought were good Christians, come forward and admit that they only thought they were saved. It took conviction of the Holy Spirit to make them realize that they weren't.

Now, the church membership practices? That's mostly a man-made empire building thing. There is a scriptural basis for a letter of introductiion but that was for practical necessity in more dangerous times rather than this 'letter of membership' foolishness.

Here again, I disagree. Unless you are a Landmark Baptist, it does serve a purpose. For one, if I choose to move to another church, it tells the other church that I have been witnessed to show fruits of repentance, and, have met the requirements set forth in the Gospels. Namely, being baptized.

If a person confesses Jesus is the Christ, has received him as their saviour, then receive them as a brother, enough said.

Again, no argument. However, did not Jesus say:

"Bring forth therefore fruits meet for repentance:" -Mt. 3:8 (KJV)

"Bring forth therefore fruits
That is, if you are truly penitent, if you have a proper sense of sin, and true repentance for it, do such works as are suitable to it, and will show the genuineness of it; for

fruits meet for repentance
are the same as "works meet for repentance", ( Acts 26:20 ) and as a tree is known by its fruit, so repentance is known by good works; these are the fruits and effects of repentance, and which are proofs with men of the sincerity of it. Those which follow upon evangelical repentance are such as are mentioned in ( 2 Corinthians 7:11 ) ."

Source

I will extend the hand of friendship to any new Christian. However, I will also be watching.

Have there been abuse of that particular system? Without a doubt. One study in history shows that that particular practice was abused for the sole purpose of bolstering the Sunday school. And even Finney later wrote that he regretted that he did not "teach" rather that bolster the membership roles. History also shows that 2/3's of the converts of the "Great Awakening" were lost (not truly saved to begin with).

And I firmly believe that if a person has to be "manipulated" into repenting, one: its not true repentance, and the pastor is not allowing the Holy Spirit to:

"And when he is come, he will reprove the world of sin, and of righteousness, and of judgment: Of sin, because they believe not on me; Of righteousness, because I go to my Father, and ye see me no more; Of judgment, because the prince of this world is judged." -Jn. 16:8-11 (KJV)

In my opinion, a Pastor who feels he has to manipulate people, is no better than men like Jim Jones, or David Koresh, or even Kenneth Copeland.

God Bless

Till all are one.

Upvote 0