Why do Christians shy away from maintaining our society just?

Hi Inquisitor,

On this issue,

Yup... a big agreement from me. Except that id see "our country" as being a very different thing from building a "christian" nation-state.
Why not? Whilst I would say the reality is that not everyone is going to be a disciple of Christ, and Jesus didn’t really try and change the ways of governments, I would say that if there are enough disciples there may be a ChristianState. Some Muslims countries are Muslim states in all aspects of life and laws and in terms of land boundaries. But I do find it amazing that Christians don’t want a ChristianState? How come? If it’s a democracy and the majority are Christian then the laws will probably reflect that, we want that dont we? Otherwise we say Christianity is an option. The only option I see Jesus gave was the truth the way and the life or not.

Upvote 0

Stan the Man

Helper and Protector
Dec 9, 2003
Stroud
✟9,623.00
Faith
Christian
W're not supposed to build up barriers and walls though, and this idea would inevitably result in such construction taking place.

Plus we're meant to be witnesses "to the ends of the earth"... we're called to change the world, not set up little pockets of Christianity by forming Christian States or Nations. "Your will be done on earth as it is in heaven", not "Your will be done in this particular country cause it's a Christian State/Nation, as it is in heaven".

Upvote 0
Hi Stan the Man,

W're not supposed to build up barriers and walls though, and this idea would inevitably result in such construction taking place.
But Jesus was a barrier to many. Which aspects of Christianity did you feel were a barrier to people? The Kingdom of God exists only where God’s will and purpose or rule exists. If there ever was a geographical nation where every single person was a Christian then I suppose that would be a Christian nation. My point was that if the majority in a country are Christian then the laws are likely to reflect Christian values. That’s good news.
Plus we're meant to be witnesses "to the ends of the earth"... we're called to change the world, not set up little pockets of Christianity by forming Christian States or Nations. "Your will be done on earth as it is in heaven", not "Your will be done in this particular country cause it's a Christian State/Nation, as it is in heaven".
Sorry but I don’t get this. Wherever His will is done on earth as in heaven, the Kingdom has come to earth. Are you saying it shouldnt come in ceertin pockets? We are called to go into all the world and make disciples, that may result in the majority in a nation being based on Christian values.

Upvote 0

Sharp

Jul 23, 2004
✟1,271.00
Faith
Baptist
Politics
US-Republican
Eynes said:
or our beliefs on others "by law" or as a state. During the Puritan days of our colonial heritage, some colony residents faced the same conditions. That is why we have a separation of religion from state today. If it had been God;s will for us to live with His will imposed on us by law, we wouldn't have free will.
Of course God wants us to influence our nation and that includes laws and public policy. We should and do incorporate our Christian values into laws. That is way cool! It makes for a good nation and a good populus.

The last sentence in your post lacks logic. Perhaps you want to refine the thought in a new thread on philosophy.

America is not like other nations. We are special. We are founded upon Christian principles and our leaders allowed us to influence our government as Christians, but not have a state religion as in Europe or Canada. I think that explains America's moral superiority to those nations.

Upvote 0

Stan the Man

Helper and Protector
Dec 9, 2003
Stroud
✟9,623.00
Faith
Christian
ahab said:
My point was that if the majority in a country are Christian then the laws are likely to reflect Christian values

What, like America and Britain are supposedly mainly Christian. We have laws that may be based on Christian ideas, but that certainly doesn't result in Christian values being held in high regard, otherwise, we wouldn't have issues with regard to abortion, or legal ages for sex outside of marriage, or grounds for divorce. The fact that both Bush and Blair say that they are Christians has in fact, in many countries, given the impression that the way they act demonstrates Christian values... and it has given us a bad reputation in many countries. The crusades were not "good news", but those claimed to be based on Christianity.

Sharp said:
I think that explains America's moral superiority to those nations.

I don't think you should go making such assertions, that's not going to be a view held by everybody, including some Americans I know.

ahab said:
But Jesus was a barrier to many

No. Wrong. He was a stumbling block to some, but He is the cornerstone of others. He is "the Way", not "the barrier". He is "the Door", not "the Lock". He may be rejected by people, but that is not the same as Him being a barrier. Sin is the barrier, not Jesus.

Upvote 0
Hi Stan the Man,

Not only am I fully in agreement with the points you made about what I wrote, but more specifically this is MUCH BETTER and more accurate than my post

He was a stumbling block to some, but He is the cornerstone of others. He is "the Way", not "the barrier". He is "the Door", not "the Lock". He may be rejected by people, but that is not the same as Him being a barrier. Sin is the barrier, not Jesus.:thumbsup:

:wave: Thanks

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums