Fidelibus

Jan 4, 2017
U.S.A.
✟66,007.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private
It is not my practice to go into another priest's or minister's church and debate theology with him

Why not? I can't speak for any Protestant denomination or non-denominational church or sects Pastor, but I am sure any Catholic Priest would be happy to answer any questions you may have, being it in a proper setting.

There have many a times I have asked the Priest of my Parish after Mass regarding to the Scripture readings of that day, or what he may have had to say in his homily, without any hesitation on his part.

Also, just because you disagree with what I am saying doesn't mean that I am necessarily wrong, or that you are correct.

Would you agree that your fallible interpretations and opinions of Scripture you share on this Christian Forum could be in error?

Have a Blessed Day!

• Winner
Reactions: The Liturgist
Upvote 0

Valletta

Oct 10, 2020
Minnesota
✟214,741.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Actually, I do understand it. The Catholic Church claims extrabiblical revelation and fortified it in 1871 when it was determined that the Pope can, and does, speak infallibly under certain conditions. The doctrine of papal infallibility was yet one more barrier established to maintain the division of the body of Christ.
We do believe in extrabiblical revelation, for example, we believe that the Gospel writers, who wrote hundreds of years before the Catholic Church compiled the books of the Bible, received extrabiblical revelation.

• Winner
Upvote 0

The Liturgist

Traditional Liturgical Christian
Site Supporter
Nov 26, 2019
The Wild West
✟475,987.00
Country
United States
Faith
Generic Orthodox Christian
Marital Status
Celibate
No, not at all, but you really should try it out. I highly recommend it.

Indeed. I am not Catholic, but intercessory prayer to the Blessed Virgin Mary is a huge part of my life.

Upvote 0

Receivedgrace

Aug 9, 2022
Hershey
✟21,248.00
Country
United States
Faith
Fundament. Christ.
Marital Status
Married
We do believe in extrabiblical revelation, for example, we believe that the Gospel writers, who wrote hundreds of years before the Catholic Church compiled the books of the Bible, received extrabiblical revelation.
Admission is the first step in the cure.
What man writes is not equal to what God has written.

Upvote 0

The Liturgist

Site Supporter
Nov 26, 2019
The Wild West
✟475,987.00
Country
United States
Faith
Marital Status
Celibate

Because I love and venerate the Mother who gave birth to my Lord, God and Savior Jesus Christ, to whom alone is due all honor, glory and worship, together with the Father Almighty and the Holy Spirit, our Comforter and Paraclete, One God, now and ever and unto the ages of ages.

Thus, while I only adore and worship God the Father, Son and Holy Ghost, piety compels me to hold in highest esteem and veneration the Theotokos by whom Christ put on and glorified our humanity.

Upvote 0

The Liturgist

Site Supporter
Nov 26, 2019
The Wild West
✟475,987.00
Country
United States
Faith
Marital Status
Celibate
They heard the Scriptures read aloud in Church, and if they attend all the services they would hear the whole of the Scriptures over the course of a year or two. They would also hear a homily based on the Scriptures just as you would in Protestant Churches. If you don't believe Protestant pastors give their own doctrinal interpretation of the Scriptures in their sermons then I have a bridge for sale on Sydney Harbour you might be interested in.

How do your prices compare with the chap in New York? Now that I know there’s two bridges for sale, this will make for a difficult decision.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

prodromos

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Nov 28, 2003
Sydney, Straya
✟1,181,731.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Praying for one another is quite different from praying to one another.
The bible does not teach praying to anyone except to God.
"Pray" simply means to ask. For many Protestants however, prayer is synonymous with worship, so they wrongly assume that prayer can only be to God.

Upvote 0

TheShire

Aug 12, 2022
Midwest
✟8,467.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
anyone who receives the Sacrament of Baptism is incorporated into His Body and therefore members of the His Church. If you reject certain tenants of the Christian faith, you are anathema (cut off) ipso facto.
agreed, and can only be done to members of His Church.
until one repents
I am a member of The Body of Christ (His Church). I am not a member of the roman catholic
denomination.

Upvote 0

Valletta

Oct 10, 2020
Minnesota
✟214,741.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Only the bible can lay claim to divine inspiration. Not written by the will of man but by the will of God.
The Bible does not "lay claim" to divine inspiration. The Catholic Church, in a process that spanned centuries, chose the 73 books of the Bible and gave the world the Bible in the late 300s. It is the Catholic Church that, in conjunction with the Holy Spirit, determined those 73 books were divinely inspired. Protestants use the same list in the exact same order determined by the Catholic Church but have dropped 7 books from the list.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Receivedgrace

Aug 9, 2022
Hershey
✟21,248.00
Country
United States
Faith
Fundament. Christ.
Marital Status
Married
The Bible does not "lay claim" to divine inspiration. The Catholic Church, in a process that spanned centuries, chose the 73 books of the Bible and gave the world the Bible in the late 300s. It is the Catholic Church that, in conjunction with the Holy Spirit, determined those 73 books were divinely inspired. Protestants use the same list in the exact same order determined by the Catholic Church but have dropped 7 books from the list.
Yes it does. 2 Peter 1:21

Upvote 0

Valletta

Oct 10, 2020
Minnesota
✟214,741.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Yes it does. 2 Peter 1:21
Those books of the Bible ARE divinely inspired, as the Catholic Church, in conjunction with the Holy Spirit, decided. You don't see a preface in every book of the Bible saying so. They were separate writings that were put together by the Church.

• Agree
Upvote 0

Receivedgrace

Aug 9, 2022
Hershey
✟21,248.00
Country
United States
Faith
Fundament. Christ.
Marital Status
Married
Those books of the Bible ARE divinely inspired, as the Catholic Church, in conjunction with the Holy Spirit, decided. You don't see a preface in every book of the Bible saying so. They were separate writings that were put together by the Church.
The catholic church is not inspired.

Upvote 0

Receivedgrace

Aug 9, 2022
Hershey
✟21,248.00
Country
United States
Faith
Fundament. Christ.
Marital Status
Married
The Catholic Church chose the books, compiled the books of the Bible. No Catholic Church--no Bible.
That would make the catholic church more important than God Himself.
Where was the catholic church when the Old Testament was written?
You are ascribing to ideology not theology.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.