Why Do Atheists Engage in Discussions with Christians?

stevenfrancis

Disciple
Dec 28, 2012
United States
Visit site
✟48,600.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
As Christians, we are commissioned by Christ to spread the tenets of our faith. This is a central part of our mission. However, I'm curious about the motivations of atheists who actively engage in discussions with believers. Are they driven by a similar sense of purpose, perhaps inspired by some philosophical stance or secular mission?

I struggle to understand atheism as a real and sincere stance. Why would someone choose to identify as an atheist instead of agnostic, which seems less definitive and more open to change? Could it be that atheism is sometimes a front for those who are actually uncertain about the existence of God?

This brings me to another point: the nature of belief and disbelief. The Bible recounts how God hardened Pharaoh's heart in Egypt, preventing him from freeing the Israelites and leading to the plagues. Could a similar phenomenon be at play with atheism—a kind of spiritual blockage?

My intention is not to attack but to understand. I wonder how to engage atheists in a way that encourages them to share their perspectives without feeling defensive. How can we have a respectful conversation about their beliefs and the reasons behind them, especially when their views seem dismissive or even antagonistic towards Christianity?

• Informative
Reactions: Merrill

Reasonably Sane

With age comes wisdom, when it doesn't come alone.
Oct 27, 2023
Kentucky
✟31,259.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Ego. Same for the other side. Well, that and immaturity. It is natural for people to just want to be "right".

It took me a very long time to grow out of arguing with atheists. And to be clear, though there are a lot of them on the internet, every single one I've met in real life has, after a discussion, admitted he/she is really an agnostic. ;) And that's what I was until my brain was fully developed (age 25) and two years (age 27).

Upvote 0

2PhiloVoid

Critical Thinking ***contra*** Conformity!
Site Supporter
Oct 28, 2006
The Void!
✟1,158,404.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
As Christians, we are commissioned by Christ to spread the tenets of our faith. This is a central part of our mission. However, I'm curious about the motivations of atheists who actively engage in discussions with believers. Are they driven by a similar sense of purpose, perhaps inspired by some philosophical stance or secular mission?

I struggle to understand atheism as a real and sincere stance. Why would someone choose to identify as an atheist instead of agnostic, which seems less definitive and more open to change? Could it be that atheism is sometimes a front for those who are actually uncertain about the existence of God?

This brings me to another point: the nature of belief and disbelief. The Bible recounts how God hardened Pharaoh's heart in Egypt, preventing him from freeing the Israelites and leading to the plagues. Could a similar phenomenon be at play with atheism—a kind of spiritual blockage?

My intention is not to attack but to understand. I wonder how to engage atheists in a way that encourages them to share their perspectives without feeling defensive. How can we have a respectful conversation about their beliefs and the reasons behind them, especially when their views seem dismissive or even antagonistic towards Christianity?

I can't speak for an atheist or anyone else who isn't present to represent his or her own ongoing, daily thoughts. But, if I were to go out on a limb and pretend that I could, I'd surmise that a number of them feel they've been somehow "manipulated" by unloving and incongruent people who provoke others with claims of "Christian Truth." The only way that we have a reasonable chance to connect in this case is to care how they feel about life and try to understand what and why they perceive what they do.

As for myself, there is an epistemological reason I identify myself as a mild existentialist ...

Last edited:
Upvote 0

AlexB23

Christian
CF Ambassadors
Site Supporter
Aug 11, 2023
WI
✟179,377.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Ego. Same for the other side. Well, that and immaturity. It is natural for people to just want to be "right".

It took me a very long time to grow out of arguing with atheists. And to be clear, though there are a lot of them on the internet, every single one I've met in real life has, after a discussion, admitted he/she is really an agnostic. ;) And that's what I was until my brain was fully developed (age 25) and two years (age 27).
Agreed 100%.

Upvote 0

Jonaitis

Soli Deo Gloria
Jan 4, 2019
Wyoming
✟126,256.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Libertarian

I was an atheist at one point, and it had nothing really to do with being uncertain. Just as anyone can be convinced that Islam, Christianity, or even animism is true, it is not difficult to believe that some people don't hold to the notion of a personal deity that created this universe. It actually hinders witnessing when people assume the intention and reasoning for other people's religious/non-religious position.

The right way to engage an atheist is to delve into their worldview and understand it just as you would want them to with yours. Take the time to understand their reason and then see it through their perspective. If you are too afraid to do that, then it is not them that is uncertain about God, but you, for it should not shake your faith if what you believe is firm and true. Many atheists are open-minded to hearing religious views, but they are very stand-offish to people who won't reciprocate that back. They get defensive because many religious individuals present the division in the conversation when it was not necessary (ex. "this is the truth and you're living in a lie").

Upvote 0

Diamond7

YEC, OEC, GAP, TE - Dispensationalist.
Nov 23, 2022
Akron
✟82,494.00
Country
United States
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Married
Could it be that atheism is sometimes a front for those who are actually uncertain about the existence of God?
Atheism is anti theism. So you can not be atheist if there are no theists. Usually they like to point out doctrine that does not line up with the Bible. They are often against the people who mis-represent God. For example ― Richard Dawkins ---“I am against religion because it teaches us to be satisfied with not understanding the world.”

Upvote 0

oikonomia

Nov 11, 2022
Pittsburgh
✟70,084.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Because I sympathize and identify with your desire I once asked a former atheist who had become a believer about this.
First I was assured by his testimony that he had really been an athiest.

His advice to me I always remember even though I wonder if it is always every case is the same.
And I am not saying I always follow this method evry time.

Paraphrasing him this is what he said.
"First of all, to get into an argument with an athiest as if you have a better reason to believe in God than he has reason for his athiesm, is the exact worst thing you can do."

Being rather surprised at this answer I asked him further, what could one do.
He replied "I let them watch me."

I gathered that he was talking regular contact with an atheist who is a neighbor, classmate, or fellow employee. I mean someone with whom you have ongoing contact. He said he lets them watch the way he lives.

I could share other experiences I have had about this matter. I like to pass this one on because this person
HAD been a militant athiest who by God's mercy changed to a believer in Christ.

For what it is worth.

Last edited:
Reactions: rebornfree
Upvote 0

Miles

Student of Life
Mar 6, 2005
USA
✟387,055.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
People who ask big questions often like to engage in discussions with each other. Although some of what we see here is trolling, legitimate conversations happen often enough to keep things interesting.

Although I'm not an Atheist, I like to think that an Atheist version of myself would still ask big questions, seek to understand the universe etc. As a Christian, I enjoy engaging in discussions with those who share a similar temperament regardless of whether they are theistic or atheistic. Not so much the trolls, but for those who are here in good faith I see it as a good thing. Not to mention an opportunity to share the gospel with someone who might appreciate actively discussing things.

Upvote 0

Matt5

Jun 12, 2019
Zürich
✟136,982.00
Country
Switzerland
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Logically, atheism has nothing to do with religion. In reality, atheists choose to make it about religion.

It turns out that the religion of atheists is the religion of equality. The religion of equality eats Christianity from the inside out. This happens when Christians adopt some of the ideas of equality. It literally attacks the foundation of a Christian society.

Atheists engage with Christians in order to pull them away from Christianity.

The ideas of equality are demonic. Islam is also demonic. That is why atheists go after Christians and mostly leave Muslims alone. Same with feminists.

Reactions: dms1972
Upvote 0

oikonomia

Nov 11, 2022
Pittsburgh
✟70,084.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Logically, atheism has nothing to do with religion. In reality, atheists choose to make it about religion.

It turns out that the religion of atheists is the religion of equality. The religion of equality eats Christianity from the inside out. This happens when Christians adopt some of the ideas of equality. It literally attacks the foundation of a Christian society.

Atheists engage with Christians in order to pull them away from Christianity.

The ideas of equality are demonic. Islam is also demonic. That is why atheists go after Christians and mostly leave Muslims alone. Same with feminists.
Is this the equality that you are concerned is un-Christian?

For you are all sons of God through faith in Christ Jesus. (Gal. 3:26)

• Winner
Reactions: AlexB23
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

zippy2006

Dragonsworn
Nov 9, 2013
✟248,306.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
A lot of atheists approach Christians the same way that antagonists approach flat-earthers. One needs to determine whether there is sufficient good will for a real discussion to take place. In general if you find that someone is willing to offer arguments and considerations for their own view and then listen to your response or your own reasons, then I'd say there is sufficient good will even if there is also antagonism. If they are not willing to do this then they are probably not engaging in good faith.

Upvote 0

rturner76

Domine non-sum dignus
Site Supporter
May 10, 2011
Twin Cities
✟753,701.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Green
Personally, I thik (or better said hope) that atheists are seeking a sound argument to believe in God. I tend to think that they desire a relationship with God but can't get past the whole subjective/objective truth argument.

They want a valid reason to believe in God that their intellect can get behind. Otherwise, I see no reason why they would feel compelled to convince Christians that there is no God. I would think that a true atheist would not feel compelled to argue against a belief system when it can have no impact on theirs. They are calling out in the wilderness for their savior to come get them and comfort them.

• Optimistic
Reactions: rebornfree
Upvote 0

zippy2006

Dragonsworn
Nov 9, 2013
✟248,306.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
They want a valid reason to believe in God that their intellect can get behind. Otherwise, I see no reason why they would feel compelled to convince Christians that there is no God. I would think that a true atheist would not feel compelled to argue against a belief system when it can have no impact on theirs.
It sounds like you are saying that the atheist is not trying to convince Christians that there is no God, but is instead trying to bait Christians into a conversation that will provide them with a good reason to believe in God.

Upvote 0

AlexB23

Christian
CF Ambassadors
Site Supporter
Aug 11, 2023
WI
✟179,377.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Personally, I thik (or better said hope) that atheists are seeking a sound argument to believe in God. I tend to think that they desire a relationship with God but can't get past the whole subjective/objective truth argument.

They want a valid reason to believe in God that their intellect can get behind. Otherwise, I see no reason why they would feel compelled to convince Christians that there is no God. I would think that a true atheist would not feel compelled to argue against a belief system when it can have no impact on theirs. They are calling out in the wilderness for their savior to come get them and comfort them.
Well, I feel that we should show the atheists one of my favorite Psalms. A lot of atheists feel that science and faith are incompatible, but this verse here shows how faith and science go together. Speaking of science, AI was used to analyze this verse in the "explanation" section, while the life anecdote was from my experience learning about scientists who had faith.

1716688371055.png

Upvote 0

rturner76

Domine non-sum dignus
Site Supporter
May 10, 2011
Twin Cities
✟753,701.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Green
It sounds like you are saying that the atheist is not trying to convince Christians that there is no God, but is instead trying to bait Christians into a conversation that will provide them with a good reason to believe in God.
That's a bit of a stretch from my meaning though I won't deny that my post could be interpreted as meaning that. I'll try to be more clear.......

I think there often is a component of both in practice. What I was commenting on was motivation. While I acknowledge that many atheists desire to "convert" believers into non-believers, I believe they are motivated (whether subconsciously or actively) desire to connect with others. Either by being given a legitimate proveable reason that God does exist (thereby allowing them to be accepted in the Christian fellowship or by wanting Christians to join their fellowship.

I guess what I ended up eluding to was they are seeking people who are like them the way all human beings are. Either by moving to the Christian side or moving Christians to the atheist side, they want to be part of a power greater than themselves alone like most humans.

I'm sure for many it is more about stamping out "superstition and ignorance" than making friends but even with them, I figure they would like to increase the number of people who share their philosophy so there is a larger atheist community to connect with. Even if they don't feel the need to submit to a higher power, I believe they still possess the desire for a connection with someone.

Reactions: zippy2006
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

rturner76

Domine non-sum dignus
Site Supporter
May 10, 2011
Twin Cities
✟753,701.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Green
Well, I feel that we should show the atheists one of my favorite Psalms. A lot of atheists feel that science and faith are incompatible, but this verse here shows how faith and science go together. Speaking of science, AI was used to analyze this verse in the "explanation" section, while the life anecdote was from my experience learning about scientists who had faith.

View attachment 348645
I think the science asks the question what and how, while faith answers the question why.

Upvote 0

AlexB23

Christian
CF Ambassadors
Site Supporter
Aug 11, 2023
WI
✟179,377.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I think the science asks the question what and how, while faith answers the question why.
Agreed 100% with this. :) That is something that atheists might need to understand, but not everyone is ready to hear that.

Upvote 0

Matt5

Jun 12, 2019
Zürich
✟136,982.00
Country
Switzerland
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Is this the equality that you are concerned is un-Christian?

For you are all sons of God through faith in Christ Jesus. (Gal. 3:26)

You missed the mark by a mile.

People are stones, not bricks. We see the transformation of stones into bricks in the Tower of Babel. And then there is this:

Exodus 20:25 And if thou wilt make me an altar of stone, thou shalt not build it of hewn stone: for if thou lift up thy tool upon it, thou hast polluted it.

Isaiah 65:3 A people that provoketh me to anger continually to my face; that sacrificeth in gardens, and burneth incense upon altars of brick;

Does God hates bricks? No, but he wants to remind us that people are stones (everybody unequal), not bricks (everybody equal.)

Upvote 0

Diamond7

YEC, OEC, GAP, TE - Dispensationalist.
Nov 23, 2022
Akron
✟82,494.00
Country
United States
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Married
We see the transformation of stones into bricks in the Tower of Babel
Bricks are made out of clay. We read in the Bible that the Children of Jacob were making bricks in Egypt. Sedan Husain tried to rebuild the tower but he failed as we are told Babylon will never be rebuilt. I remember when he set the oil wells on fire during operation desert storm. It seemed apophatic at the time

A stone is a smaller, individual piece of rock that has been shaped or modified by natural processes or human intervention. I love working with stones and I esp like to balance them. Precious stones handle light a lot better and we are told this is the case in Heaven on the bottom of the river of life.
1716719426545.png

1716718806918.png

Last edited:
Upvote 0

oikonomia

Nov 11, 2022
Pittsburgh
✟70,084.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
You missed the mark by a mile.
I'm opened to see how.
People are stones, not bricks. We see the transformation of stones into bricks in the Tower of Babel. And then there is this:
I am aware. People saved by Christ are intended to be living stones built up together into "a dwelling place of God in spirit."

In whom all the building, being fitted together, is growing into a holy temple in the Lord;
In whom you also are being built together into a dwelling place of God in spirit. (Eph. 2:21,22)

Exodus 20:25 And if thou wilt make me an altar of stone, thou shalt not build it of hewn stone: for if thou lift up thy tool upon it, thou hast polluted it.

Isaiah 65:3 A people that provoketh me to anger continually to my face; that sacrificeth in gardens, and burneth incense upon altars of brick;

Does God hates bricks? No, but he wants to remind us that people are stones (everybody unequal), not bricks (everybody equal.)
The difference between the bricks of Babel and the beautiful gems that build up New Jerusalem are these matters - divine life and building up in the Triune God in love and oneness.

The transformed believers are living stones. I mean they all have the life, the divine and eternal life of God in them.
You yourselves also, as living stones, are being built up as a spiritual house into a holy priesthood to offer up spiritual sacrifices acceptable to God through Jesus Christ. (1 Pet. 2:5)

I agree that Babel is verses New Jerusalem. And the world is verses the ekklesia called out of the world in principle.
Yes whatever God's plan is Satan runs ahead to imitate and counterfeit the eternal purpose of God.
Babel and its tower was the counterfeit of the city and temple where God wrought through the children of Israel.

Babel, a proud tower of burnt bricks of spiritual death was the Satanic attack against God's eternal purpose
to build a city / temple as His habitation of living stones, the New Jerusalem.

So Satan needs to make it impossible for the life of God to make living stones. I think this is a characteristic of the bricks
of Babel burnt and used for a tower of pride and rebellion.

It is true that a philosophy of spiritual deadness and uniformity underlines some anti-God forms of human government.
But we should see the transformed stones of twelve typed adorn the walls of New Jerusalem are living stones
who are all sons of God. They are transparent that the light of the light of God might shine crystal clearly through them.

God's purpose is not to have scattered individual stones of twelve kinds (symbolically). But the stones are built up
into a dwelling place of God, a habitation of God in spirit, and a temple for His dwelling. This building up of many
transformed human beings is for God's expression and man's enjoyment.
You yourselves also, as living stones, are being built up as a spiritual house . . .

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: Grip Docility
Upvote 0