Why didn't Jesus quote the rest of Isaiah 61 about himself?

Daniel Martinovich

Friend
Site Supporter
Oct 7, 2011
Southwest USA
Visit site
✟487,316.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
God is love - that's the nature that *I*, personally, see as overriding in Scripture. If something doesn't fit in that framework - then it can't be true of God.

In Matthew 23:37, we see that God desires to protect Jerusalem, but they "won't let Him":

Jesus Grieves over Jerusalem
37 “O Jerusalem, Jerusalem, the city that kills the prophets and stones God’s messengers! How often I have wanted to gather your children together as a hen protects her chicks beneath her wings, but you wouldn’t let me.

As a result, death and destruction will come upon Jerusalem. The text is clear that God is trying to deliver and protect His people from the destruction, but they [not all] would not listen to His warnings and were not willing to come to Him. And so, death would come, not from God, but from the armies that would sweep in and leave not one stone standing upon another.

Isaiah 35:4
Say to those who are of a fearful heart, “Be strong, fear not! Behold, your God will come with vengeance, with the recompense of God. He will come and save you.”
In Isaiah 35:4, the coming of the Lord is both in vengeance (wrath) and in salvation (redemption). What this means is that both wrath and salvation would come to Israel at the same time, meaning through the same event.​
Of course. No one is arguing that God isn't seeking the salvation of all people. Both temporal and eternal.
95% of "the judgment of God" happens as a natural effect of sin. The reason it's considered the "judgment of God" is because God made his creation like that. To have natural effects good or bad. It's called the law of nature and natures God. But see the issue here is he could intervene and stop all the death and destruction. But his love, his agape, his good will, his wisdom prevents him from doing so unless certain conditions are met.

Love, agape, good will is a motive its not a feeling. It guides actions. For instance. Love, agape, good will for both God and man may, depending on the circumstances, forgive and restore a en-slaver of woman and children who sells them for sex. Love, agape, good will may also, depending on the circumstances, immediately and with great prejudice execute such and individual.

I realize this is a dichotomy to today's pop culture definition of love. But it's not in any way shape or form a dichotomy of what the definition of agape, which is the word getting translated into the word love. The word means good will. It does not mean what pop culture America calls love. It's willing the good. Mercy may be whats best for the en-slaver of woman and children under certain circumstances. It may in the long run further the interests of heaven and the cause of Christ which is what is best for us. But under other circumstance "vengeance," or the administration of justice may in the long run be what is best for heavens interests and mans. Both can be done with the same motive, agape, good will , love.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

mkgal1

His perfect way sets me free. 2 Samuel 22:33
Site Supporter
Jun 22, 2007
California
✟551,233.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
The reason it's considered the "judgment of God" is because God made his creation like that. To have natural effects good or bad. It's called the law of nature and natures God. But see the issue here is he could intervene and stop all the death and destruction. But his love, his agape, his good will, his wisdom prevents him from doing so unless certain conditions are met.
I think what can be missed is that, in the destruction of ancient Jerusalem/old covenant temple system, there're the conditions of the Mosaic covenant (that were ONLY for a specific point in time - and only for select people). I think it goes beyond just "the law of nature and natures of God".

IOW - this is more representative of (what I believe was) a choice of the people - the ancient Israelites (and God just gave them over to what they'd chosen all the way back when the Israelites were still in the wilderness and had formed a golden calf) and further, when they'd asked for a king just like all the other nations.

The destruction was a result of Levitical law ----->Jesus was fulfilling the role of the High Priest visiting and inspecting the touch of affliction/corruption in the house. This is described in Leviticus 14:33–53. It accounts for the multiple visitations and the repeated act of removing the corruption, then finally pronouncing the house (temple) unclean and decreeing the total destruction of the house. ~ https://americanvision.org/4162/jerusalems-time-of-visitation-luke-1945-46/

In the background, though, was the unilateral covenant that God had made with Abraham - that no human could cause to be null and void.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

LittleLambofJesus

Hebrews 2:14.... Pesky Devil, git!
Site Supporter
May 19, 2015
GOD's country of Texas
Visit site
✟1,237,270.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Libertarian
I think what can be missed is that, in the destruction of ancient Jerusalem/old covenant temple system, there're the conditions of the Mosaic covenant (that were ONLY for a specific point in time - and only for select people).
The destruction was a result of Levitical law ----->Jesus was fulfilling the role of the High Priest visiting and inspecting the touch of affliction/corruption in the house. This is described in Leviticus 14:33–53. It accounts for the multiple visitations and the repeated act of removing the corruption, then finally pronouncing the house (temple) unclean and decreeing the total destruction of the house. ~ https://americanvision.org/4162/jerusalems-time-of-visitation-luke-1945-46/
Hi mk.......Great post.
You and/or others may be interested in this post concerning the OC vs NC Preisthood in relation to 70 ad.

Was 1948 the Regathering of Israel in Bible Prophecy?
Also, there is one major consideration that hasn't been brought up.

All the Jews/Hebrew Israelites scattered around the world can come back to Israel, but their religion of OC Judaism is useless and worthless without a Priesthood and Temple/Sanctuary.[Hebrews 8:13]
The Destruction of Jerusalem - George Peter Holford, 1805AD
History records few events more generally interesting than the destruction of Jerusalem, and the subversion of the Jewish state, by the arms of the Romans. -- Their intimate connexion with the dissolution of the Levitical economy, and the establishment of Christianity in the world ; the striking verification which they afford of so many of the prophecies, both of the Old and New Testament,

This is what Jesus told the Samaritan woman at the well:
John 4:21
Jesus said to her, “Woman, believe Me, the hour is coming when you will neither on this mountain, nor in Jerusalem, worship the Father.

The book of Hebrews talks a lot about the difference between the carnal/physical OC Levitical Priesthood and the Spiritual Christian Priesthood:

Kingdom Bible Studies Royal Priesthood #1
THE ROYAL PRIESTHOOD

Hebrews 7:12
For being changed/translated<3346> the Priesthood, out of necessity also, of Law a change<3331> is becoming,
Hebrews 8:13
in the to be saying `New,' He hath made Old the first.
The yet being aged and being obsolete nigh of disappearance

Then we have an plethora of prophecies against the OC Levitical Priesthood:

Hosea 4:6
My people are destroyed for lack of knowledge.
Because you have rejected knowledge,
I also will reject you from being priest for Me;
Because you have forgotten the law of your God,
I also will forget your children.
Malachi 2
1 “And now, O priests, this command is for you. 2 If you will not listen, if you will not take it to heart to give honor to my name, says the Lord of hosts, then I will send the curse upon you and I will curse your blessings. Indeed, I have already cursed them, because you do not lay it to heart.
3 Behold, I will rebuke your offspring, and spread dung on your faces, the dung of your offerings, and you shall be taken away with it

7 For the lips of a priest should guard knowledge, and peopled should seek instruction from his mouth, for he is the messenger of the Lord of hosts.
8 But you have turned aside from the way. You have caused many to stumble by your instruction. You have corrupted the covenant of Levi, says the Lord of hosts,
9 and so I make you despised and abased before all the people, inasmuch as you do not keep my ways but show partiality in your instruction.”

Those prophecies against the OC priesthood was fulfilled in the 70ad destruction of the Temple

The Destruction of Jerusalem - George Peter Holford, 1805AD

The three factions, rendered frantic by drunkenness, rage, and desperation, trampling on heaps of slain, fought against each other with brutal savageness and madness. Even such as brou't sacrifices to the temple were murdered. The dead bodies of priests and worshippers, both natives and foreigners were heaped together, and a lake of blood stagnated in the sacred courts............

Thus they cut the very sinews of their own strength.
At this critical and alarming conjuncture, intelligence arrived that the Roman army was approaching the city.
The Jews were petrified with astonishment and fear ; there was no time for counsel, no hope of pacification, no means of flight:-- all was wild disorder and perplexity :- nothing was to be heard but "the confused noise of the warrior, " -- nothing to be seen but garments rolled in blood," -- nothing to be expected from the Romans but signal and exemplary vengeance.................

Revelation 6:6
And I hear a voice in midst of the four living-ones saying: "choinex of grain/wheat a denari and three choinex of barleys a denari,
and the oil and the wine no you should be injuring"."

Meanwhile the horrors of famine grew still more melancholy and afflictive. The Jews, for of food were at length compelled to eat their belts, their sandals, the skins of their shields, dried grass, and even the ordure of oxen...........

Luke 21:23

But woe to those having in womb, and to the ones nursing in those days.
For there will be great distress<318> upon the land and wrath on this people.
Revelation 9:6
And in those days the men shall be seeking the death, and not no shall be finding it;
and shall be desiring to be dying, and the death is fleeing from them.

The Temple now presented little more than a heap of ruins ;

For five days after the destruction of the Temple, the priests who had escaped, sat, pining with hunger, on the top of one of its broken walls; at length, they came down, and humbly asked the pardon of Titus, which, however, he refused to grant them, saying, that, "as the Temple, for the sake of which he would have spared them, was destroyed, it was but fit that its priests should parish also:" -whereupon he commanded that they should be put to death...........

Malachi 2:
1 “And now, O priests, this command is for you.
3 Behold, I will rebuke your offspring, and spread dung on your faces, the dung of your offerings, and you shall be taken away with it

Hebrews 8:13
in the to be saying `New<2537>,' He hath made Old the first.
The yet being aged and being obsolete<1095> nigh of disappearance

• Informative
Reactions: mkgal1
Upvote 0

Daniel Martinovich

Friend
Site Supporter
Oct 7, 2011
Southwest USA
Visit site
✟487,316.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
I think what can be missed is that, in the destruction of ancient Jerusalem/old covenant temple system, there're the conditions of the Mosaic covenant (that were ONLY for a specific point in time - and only for select people). I think it goes beyond just "the law of nature and natures of God".

IOW - this is more representative of (what I believe was) a choice of the people - the ancient Israelites (and God just gave them over to what they'd chosen all the way back when the Israelites were still in the wilderness and had formed a golden calf) and further, when they'd asked for a king just like all the other nations.

In the background, though, was the unilateral covenant that God had made with Abraham - that no human could cause to be null and void.
That would ignore the same type of “judgements” directed at the city of Rome then later the entire empire in the book of Revelation. Around 11 chapters of prophecy of judgement for their murder of the saints.

Now that you reading preterist stuff. You’ll miss that. The only prophecy about the destruction of Jerusalem in Revelation ends with the 144,000. They represent the believers who escaped the judgement. Only about a chapters worth of prophecy in Revelation is about the destruction of Jerusalem. Something preterists will adamantly disagree with.
By the way I think my article on Matthew 24, Mark 13 and Luke 21 is the best onthe internet. Easiest to read and more informative. Yes all fulfilled in 70 ad. But most of judgements Revelation are dealing with the age of the four gentile empires.
The End Of An Age
upload_2018-12-12_14-50-29.jpeg

Upvote 0

mkgal1

His perfect way sets me free. 2 Samuel 22:33
Site Supporter
Jun 22, 2007
California
✟551,233.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
That would ignore the same type of “judgements” directed at the city of Rome then later the entire empire in the book of Revelation. Around 11 chapters of prophecy of judgement for their murder of the saints.

Now that you reading preterist stuff. You’ll miss that. The only prophecy about the destruction of Jerusalem in Revelation ends with the 144,000. They represent the believers who escaped the judgement. Only about a chapters worth of prophecy in Revelation is about the destruction of Jerusalem. Something preterists will adamantly disagree with.
But most of judgements Revelation are dealing with the age of the four gentile empires.
Of course I see the judgments you're bringing up written about in Revelation (as if they were separate) as the same event (the destruction of the temple).

Upvote 0

LittleLambofJesus

Site Supporter
May 19, 2015
GOD's country of Texas
Visit site
✟1,237,270.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Libertarian
By the way I think my article on Matthew 24, Mark 13 and Luke 21 is the best onthe internet. Easiest to read and more informative. Yes all fulfilled in 70 ad. But most of judgements Revelation are dealing with the age of the four gentile empires.
The End Of An Age
View attachment 246895
Nice site layout.
I delve into the Greek a lot, especially with Revelation.
Have you seen my harmonizing thread on Matt 24, Mar 13 and Luk 21?
One cannot get an accurate interpretation of the NT w/o an accurate translation using the Koine Greek, good interlinear and concordance. And of course, the Holy Spirit........

Perhaps you can look at my thread and comment on anything that you feel is either in error or not. Thanks

Matthew 24, Mark 13 and Luke's Temple/Jerusalem Discourses harmonized

All 3 passages ask the same 2 questions:

when? shall these be,
and what? the sign

Matthew 24:3
Yet of Him sitting on the Mount of the Olives, the Disciples came toward to Him according to own saying "be telling! to us,
when? shall these be,
and what? the sign<4592>
of the Thy parousia<3952>,
and together-finish<4931> of the Age.

Mark 13:4
Tell us!
when? shall these be
and what? the sign<4592>
whenever may be being about<3195> these.

Luke 21
7 Yet they inquire<1905> of Him, saying, “Teacher!
when? then shall these be
And what? the sign<4592>
whenever may be being about<3195> these to becoming<1096>?

Upvote 0

Daniel Martinovich

Friend
Site Supporter
Oct 7, 2011
Southwest USA
Visit site
✟487,316.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Nice site layout.
I delve into the Greek a lot, especially with Revelation.
Have you seen my harmonizing thread on Matt 24, Mar 13 and Luk 21?
One cannot get an accurate interpretation of the NT w/o an accurate translation using the Koine Greek, good interlinear and concordance. And of course, the Holy Spirit........

Perhaps you can look at my thread and comment on anything that you feel is either in error or not. Thanks

Matthew 24, Mark 13 and Luke's Temple/Jerusalem Discourses harmonized

All 3 passages ask the same 2 questions:

when? shall these be,
and what? the sign

Matthew 24:3
Yet of Him sitting on the Mount of the Olives, the Disciples came toward to Him according to own saying "be telling! to us,
when? shall these be,
and what? the sign<4592>
of the Thy parousia<3952>,
and together-finish<4931> of the Age.

Mark 13:4
Tell us!
when? shall these be
and what? the sign<4592>
whenever may be being about<3195> these.

Luke 21
7 Yet they inquire<1905> of Him, saying, “Teacher!
when? then shall these be
And what? the sign<4592>
whenever may be being about<3195> these to becoming<1096>?

That's good. I don't know if you have to focus on the Greek so much except those few words that are obvious mistranslations. Like the word world when the word is age. Or the other one you noted. They put world when that word for habitual land is only used 11 times in the NT and it is always a reference to the habitual land the Roman Empire has conquered. I can't remember if there are a few other words.

Upvote 0

LittleLambofJesus

Site Supporter
May 19, 2015
GOD's country of Texas
Visit site
✟1,237,270.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Libertarian
I agree with Jeremy Myers, who wrote:

"I try to follow the teachings and example of Jesus as best as I can. I fail in many areas all the time, but that is where grace enters the scene.

Anyway, when it comes to presenting God as non-violent, Jesus not only shows by teaching and example that God is non-violent (cf. Luke 6:27-30; 9:54-56; 23:34), but when Jesus declared the purpose of His ministry, He cherry-picked a key Old Testament passage to show that He was not going to be violent at all.

The text I am referring to is Luke 4:16-30. In this text, Jesus lays out His mission statement (Luke 4:18-19), which shows that He is only going to restore, heal, forgive, deliver, and set free. As part of His teaching, Jesus used an illustration from the Old Testament about how God sent Elijah the Prophet to a Gentile woman and a leprous Syrian general.

As a result of this sermon, those who listened to Jesus that day tried to kill Him (Luke 4:28-29). Why did they try to kill Jesus?

Because Jesus cherry-picked the Old Testament to present God as non-violent. His audience believed that God was violent, and this violence is then demonstrated in their attempt to kill Jesus (After all, you become like the god you worship)."
- Why I Might Cherry-Pick Verses from the Bible
Hello mkgal.
Jesus did come to proclaim the Good News to the Jews and those who heard and obeyed, escaped the wrath of 70AD Jerusalem.........

Deu 28:1 “Now it shall come to pass, if you diligently obey the voice of the LORD your God, to observe carefully all His commandments which I command you today
Deu 28:15 “But it shall come to pass, if you do not obey the voice of the LORD your God, to observe carefully all His commandments and His statutes which I command you today,
===================

Jer 14:13
Then I said, “Ah, Lord GOD! Behold, the prophets say to them, ‘You shall not see the sword, nor shall you have famine, but I will give you assured peace in this place.' ”

Mat 10:34
“Do not think that I came to bring peace on earth. I did not come to bring peace but a sword.

Rev 6:4
Another horse, fiery red, went out. And it was granted to the one who sat on it to take peace from the earth, and that people should kill one another; and there was given to him a great sword.

"DAYS OF VENGEANCE" Isaiah 61:2 and Luke 21:22 Revelation

Isaiah 61:2
To proclaim the year of the good pleasure of Yahweh,
And the day of vengeance<5359> of our 'Elohiym, To comfort all mourners.

Luke 4:
17 the scroll of the prophet Isaiah was handed to Him. Unrolling it, He found the place where it was written:
21 and He began by saying,
Today this Scripture is fulfilled<4137> in your hearing.”

Luke 21:
22 That days of vengeance<1557> these are, of the to be fulfilled<4130> all the having been written
23 “But woe to those who are pregnant and to those who are nursing babies in those days!
For there will be great Distress in the land and Wrath<3709> upon this people.

1 Thessalonians 2:
15 who killed both the Lord Jesus and their own prophets, and have persecuted<1559> us, and they do not please God and are contrary to all men,
16 forbidding us to speak to the Gentiles that they may be saved; to fill up their sins always: but the wrath is come upon them to the uttermost.

Revelation 19:2 “For true and righteous are His judgments, because He has judged the great harlot who corrupted the earth with her fornication;
and He has avenged <1556> on her the blood of His servants shed by her.”
==============================

Upvote 0

keras

Writer of studies on Bible prophecy
Feb 7, 2013
Thames, New Zealand
Visit site
✟294,048.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Married

Luke 21:
22 That days of vengeance<1557> these are, of the to be fulfilled<4130> all the having been written
23 “But woe to those who are pregnant and to those who are nursing babies in those days!
For there will be great Distress in the land and Wrath<3709> upon this people.

==============================
Just the difference of 'Day of vengeance' and 'Days of vengeance', is sufficient to discern that these two scriptures are describing different events.

There was a terrible time for the Jews in 70-135 AD. They were killed, enslaved and dispersed then. This historical fact does not mean that there is coming another Day when the Lord will come in His vengeance and fiery wrath, as described in over 100 prophesies; as yet unfulfilled.
As Zephaniah 3:8, Luke 21:35, + say; this time, the whole world will be affected.

The desire to make these terrible things as past history is understandable, but not sensible. We Christians should be aware of God's Plans, Amos 3:7

Upvote 0