Why did Satan Murder Jesus, Knowing How angry this would make God?

Blood Bought 1953

Ned Flander’s Buddy
Oct 21, 2017
Portsmouth
✟81,329.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Satan did not murder Jesus.God was responsible and it gave Him pleasure to do so.You and I put Jesus on the cross.God knew it was the price that had to be paid that would enable all Believers to be saved.It was the last thing Satan wanted If he knew what the results would turn out to be.

Upvote 0

Blood Bought 1953

Ned Flander’s Buddy
Oct 21, 2017
Portsmouth
✟81,329.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
They were all playing parts unwittingly so God could carry out the plan that saved us.He outsmarted everybody—-Satan especially! The resurrection crushed Satan’s head as was foretold in the Garden.

Upvote 0

Blood Bought 1953

Ned Flander’s Buddy
Oct 21, 2017
Portsmouth
✟81,329.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
I think Satan tried to save Christ from the cross actually.

I agree .....that was the temptation in the Garden....Jesus could have gone back to Heaven and no criticism would have fallen His way .He didn’t have to go to the cross and we did not deserve it anyway. Thank God, His love won out and we were saved by His Sacrifice

Upvote 0

DreamerOfTheHeart

I Am What I Am
Jul 11, 2017
Houston
✟39,308.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Satan did not murder Jesus.God was responsible and it gave Him pleasure to do so.You and I put Jesus on the cross.God knew it was the price that had to be paid that would enable all Believers to be saved.It was the last thing Satan wanted If he knew what the results would turn out to be.

Satan was in charge of Judas and thRoman powers. The very reason Jesus said, "the one above you is more guilty".

Your answer surprises me.

God knew Satan would, but that is it. He asked Jesus not to stop it.

Reactions: Emli
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

ewq1938

I love you three.
Christian Forums Staff
Administrator
Site Supporter
Nov 5, 2011
✟916,702.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
Mar 8:29 And he saith unto them, But whom say ye that I am? And Peter answereth and saith unto him, Thou art the Christ.
Mar 8:30 And he charged them that they should tell no man of him.
Mar 8:31 And he began to teach them, that the Son of man must suffer many things, and be rejected of the elders, and of the chief priests, and scribes, and be killed, and after three days rise again.

Here Jesus is talking about dying on the cross.

Mar 8:32 And he spake that saying openly. And Peter took him, and began to rebuke him.

Peter was a passionate man and did not like the idea of Christ dying. Also note that Peter takes him somewhere. This is taking him to the side to speak privately to him. This secret way of Peter is suspect behavior.

Mar 8:33 But when he had turned about and looked on his disciples, he rebuked Peter, saying, Get thee behind me, Satan: for thou savourest not the things that be of God, but the things that be of men.

Peter is too passionate. So much so, that Satan is able to use this weakness and enter into Peter and rebuke Christ about dying. This is Satan's attempt to try to argue against Christ dying on the cross.

He will try again I believe:

Joh 18:10 Then Simon Peter having a sword drew it, and smote the high priest's servant, and cut off his right ear. The servant's name was Malchus.
Joh 18:11 Then said Jesus unto Peter, Put up thy sword into the sheath: the cup which my Father hath given me, shall I not drink it?

The cup here is a reference to his fate which happened to be going to and dying upon the cross. I believe this was Satan again influencing or using Peter to try to stop Christ from the cross.

Luk 22:31 And the Lord said, Simon, Simon, behold, Satan hath desired to have you, that he may sift you as wheat:

Satan definitely wanted Peter.

Luk 22:32 But I have prayed for thee, that thy faith fail not: and when thou art converted, strengthen thy brethren.

So, Peter was not fully converted to the faith of Christ but Peter thought he was:

Luk 22:33 And he said unto him, Lord, I am ready to go with thee, both into prison, and to death.
Luk 22:34 And he said, I tell thee, Peter, the [bless and do not curse][bless and do not curse][bless and do not curse][bless and do not curse] shall not crow this day, before that thou shalt thrice deny that thou knowest me.

Peter not yet was a true believer. Only in word was he but we see that Christ was praying for him to convert and strengthen the brethren, which happened in time.

Joh 18:12 Then the band and the captain and officers of the Jews took Jesus, and bound him,
Joh 18:13 And led him away to Annas first; for he was father in law to Caiaphas, which was the high priest that same year.
Joh 18:14 Now Caiaphas was he, which gave counsel to the Jews, that it was expedient that one man should die for the people.
Joh 18:15 And Simon Peter followed Jesus, and so did another disciple: that disciple was known unto the high priest, and went in with Jesus into the palace of the high priest.
Joh 18:16 But Peter stood at the door without. Then went out that other disciple, which was known unto the high priest, and spake unto her that kept the door, and brought in Peter.
Joh 18:17 Then saith the damsel that kept the door unto Peter, Art not thou also one of this man's disciples? He saith, I am not.

And here begins the famous 3 times of denial of Christ. Take note that this other disciple known unto the high Priest made it possible for Peter to be let in to this trial.

Joh 18:18 And the servants and officers stood there, who had made a fire of coals; for it was cold: and they warmed themselves: and Peter stood with them, and warmed himself.
Joh 18:19 The high priest then asked Jesus of his disciples, and of his doctrine.
Joh 18:20 Jesus answered him, I spake openly to the world; I ever taught in the synagogue, and in the temple, whither the Jews always resort; and in secret have I said nothing.
Joh 18:21 Why askest thou me? ask them which heard me, what I have said unto them: behold, they know what I said.
Joh 18:22 And when he had thus spoken, one of the officers which stood by struck Jesus with the palm of his hand, saying, Answerest thou the high priest so?
Joh 18:23 Jesus answered him, If I have spoken evil, bear witness of the evil: but if well, why smitest thou me?
Joh 18:24 Now Annas had sent him bound unto Caiaphas the high priest.
Joh 18:25 And Simon Peter stood and warmed himself. They said therefore unto him, Art not thou also one of his disciples? He denied it, and said, I am not.

It's interesting to me that we are told twice that Peter is here warming himself at Christ's trial by the High Priest. It just seems odd that he has twice tried to stop Christ from going to the cross and now is at this trial warming himself. I have no doubts the other disciple mentioned to be there is Judas. In my opinion Peter is acting oddly. It is also interesting that he is in this private place where the trial is held and he denies being Christ's disciple to people who are part of this trial. First a female guarding the door, and now unnamed others inside the building.

Joh 18:26 One of the servants of the high priest, being his kinsman whose ear Peter cut off, saith, Did not I see thee in the garden with him?
Joh 18:27 Peter then denied again: and immediately the [bless and do not curse][bless and do not curse][bless and do not curse][bless and do not curse] crew.

And lastly a person who was at the garden and saw Peter cut the other man's ear off and then Peter's third denial.

Last edited:
Reactions: Sam91
Upvote 0

ewq1938

I love you three.
Christian Forums Staff
Administrator
Site Supporter
Nov 5, 2011
✟916,702.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
Satan had nothing to do with Christs death on the cross. It was the perfect blood sacrifice that God demanded as an atonement for the sins of mankind.

Right, exactly why Satan would want to try to stop it.

Upvote 0

KyleSpringer

Feb 13, 2018
Canton
✟12,503.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Interested in opinons.
To say Satan murdered Jesus is to imply it wasn’t Jesus’ will to lay down his own life. I would urge you turn away from that mindset, or whoever told you and run to Jesus himself.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Presbyterian Continuist

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Mar 28, 2005
Christchurch New Zealand
Visit site
✟833,855.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
Interested in opinons.
John says that the devil entered in Judas and that motivated him to betray Jesus to the authorities. I think that the death of Jesus was inspired by Satan, who was influencing the Jewish religious leaders at the time. But Satan did not know the implications of what God was planning through the death of Jesus. I think that Satan got a rude shock. You would have thought that he would have got the message when Jesus rebuked Peter who was trying to stop Him going to Jerusalem to be arrested and put to death. But Satan was intending to get rid of Jesus once and for all, and so continue his reign over death and hell with even greater power than before. But Jesus turned the tables on him, and instead, went down into the devil's domain and took the keys of death and of hell away from him, and triumphantly rose from the dead. I think it was then that Satan realised that he had made the worst mistake of his entire existence.

Upvote 0

ewq1938

I love you three.
Christian Forums Staff
Administrator
Site Supporter
Nov 5, 2011
✟916,702.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
John says that the devil entered in Judas and that motivated him to betray Jesus to the authorities.

Actually Judas betrayed and received payment before Satan entered into him. The entering happened prior to Judas pointing out which person was Jesus because apparently Jesus was not known well enough to be identified. Just after this Judas does repent and tried to return the money he received.

Upvote 0

SolomonVII

Sep 4, 2003
Vancouver
✟155,006.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Greens
Why did Satan Murder Jesus, Knowing How angry this would make God?

Interested in opinons.
The most enlightening answer that I have read on this question comes from the anthropologist Rene Girard. He answers the question in terms of the idea of scapegoating, and lays out the argument that since the time Cain formed cities, Satan has been at the centre of creating civilizations, a word whose entymology traces back to the idea of a city or city-state.
As people intermingle in close quarters, they develop admiration, and then envy for each other. It is the idea of coveting everything that is of 'thy neighbour' to the point of desiring to become thy neighour and usurp their very lives. Resentments build up to a crescendo, and the whole enterprise of civilization threatens to fall down upon itself.
The devil's antidote to this is the process of scapegoating which serves a cathartic purpose. All the resentments that the people in the city have for each other are channeled to a victim, a scapegoat, and that scapegoat is seen as the source of the discord that has been brought about through their envying of each other.
The envy that Girard refers to is termed 'mimetic desire' and he sees an example of it in the Scripture where Jesus says to Peter, "Get behind me Satan", when Peter's admiration of Jesus takes a bad turn.
Antrhopologist Girard finds this process of dealing with mimetic desire throughout history and throughout cultures and notes that it is mostly an unconscious process. The beginning of consciousness comes in the Biblical ritual of laying the sins of the community onto a goat, and driving him out into the wilderness to die.

Satan, the ruler of this world, had been using that process to allow for civilizational advancement, which started with the murderer Cain whose progeny is associated with cities and culture. That is the clue to the idea that it is Satan who is behind the process.
Normally, the victim chosen is presumed to actually be guilty and responsible for all the discord that enters into society, and the fact that the murder of the victim has the cathartic effect of restoring harmony invariably had the effect of making people believe that they acted correctly and justly. The whole process of the disruption of mimetic desire restoring order through scapegoating remained unknown, and this is what Satan assumed would happen in the scapegoating of Christ too.
biblically speaking, Girard points us to 1 Corinthians 2:8
None of the rulers of this age understood it, for if they had, they would not have crucified the Lord of glory.

If Satan would have understood the consequence of his 'business as usual' plan, he would not have dared to scapegoat Jesus. He assumed that, as always, what had been cooked up in the dark would remain in the dark, same as it always had been.

God in effect tricked Satan and exposed the social mechanism of scapegoating. When it is God himself being scapegoated with the crucifixion of the fautless innocent victim who is Jesus, people become fully aware that scapegoating is nothing more than murder. It is their own sins, their own envies, their own covetous desires, their own mimetic desires that they had been transferring onto the scapegoat all along.
Satan became apparent; he fell like lightning as the Bible relates.
Like all the rulers of this world, if he had known and truly understood it, he would not have crucified Jesus.
God in effect tricked him into showing his hand.

Upvote 0

r4.h

Feb 11, 2018
Hamilton
✟20,810.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Satan did. Satan lies.
Dont worry mate, i get what you asking. Its a very deep thought actually, and i dont profess to know.

I do know he is blinded by the anger he has and is only malevolent in everything he thinks and does and he is incapable of any real wisdom, although he is very cunning.

Upvote 0