✟68,913.00
Country
United States
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Private
Hi

I have been getting really sick and frustrated with myself. For some reason, I have been stuck in this "predicament" for a while now. I can't seem to listen, understand, or obey (fully) God.

I know that all Christians at a point in their walk should make the leap from feeding on the milk of the word to feeding on the meat of the word, thus becoming mature in Christ, (in others words, no longer being a babe in Christ ( 1 Corinthians 3) I understand this. But unfortunately, I can't seem to make that leap. I have been in this walk for some time now (I would say for about two years). I know that I haven't progressed. Deep inside, I still feel like a babe in Christ. This distresses me deeply. It just makes me upset that I have been stuck here in my entire walk so far (I started about two years ago at the age of 14.)

I have been struggling with some habitual sins that I can't seem to break away from. I have tried to pray to God to help me break these habitual sins (or at least give me the strength to overcome the temptations of these sins). However, this hasn't been working. I have been stuck in a constant loop of committing these sins, repenting, and then committing them again. This has lead me to start doubting my repentance of these sins (and any other sin for that matter). Moreover, this has been making me question my salvation too.

Another thing I have been struggling with is my communication with God. After countless hours of reading scripture, praying, and trying to listen to good, I don't believe that I have ever heard anything from him. Even though I ask the Holy Spirit to open my ears when doing these things, I can't seem to hear. I don't feel like I have a connection with God at all. I have been really hating myself for this.

Additionally, I have been having trouble keeping my desires in line with God. Every day I have been struggling to keep my mind on God. I keep getting distracted by my desires (good, bad, past, present, and future desires). I have tried to pray to God to remove all of my desires and only give me a desire for him. However, this hasn't seemed to work.

Overall, I really don't know what to do anymore. I just can't seem to figure it out. Everything is really confusing right now. I am tired of not making any progress. I feel just the same as I felt before I gave my life to Christ.

antwaniiz

Aug 8, 2020
miami
✟849.00
Country
Indonesia
Faith
United Ch. of Christ
Marital Status
Private
Hi

I have been getting really sick and frustrated with myself. For some reason, I have been stuck in this "predicament" for a while now. I can't seem to listen, understand, or obey (fully) God.

I know that all Christians at a point in their walk should make the leap from feeding on the milk of the word to feeding on the meat of the word, thus becoming mature in Christ, (in others words, no longer being a babe in Christ ( 1 Corinthians 3) I understand this. But unfortunately, I can't seem to make that leap. I have been in this walk for some time now (I would say for about two years). I know that I haven't progressed. Deep inside, I still feel like a babe in Christ. This distresses me deeply. It just makes me upset that I have been stuck here in my entire walk so far (I started about two years ago at the age of 14.)

I have been struggling with some habitual sins that I can't seem to break away from. I have tried to pray to God to help me break these habitual sins (or at least give me the strength to overcome the temptations of these sins). However, this hasn't been working. I have been stuck in a constant loop of committing these sins, repenting, and then committing them again. This has lead me to start doubting my repentance of these sins (and any other sin for that matter). Moreover, this has been making me question my salvation too.

Another thing I have been struggling with is my communication with God. After countless hours of reading scripture, praying, and trying to listen to good, I don't believe that I have ever heard anything from him. Even though I ask the Holy Spirit to open my ears when doing these things, I can't seem to hear. I don't feel like I have a connection with God at all. I have been really hating myself for this.

Additionally, I have been having trouble keeping my desires in line with God. Every day I have been struggling to keep my mind on God. I keep getting distracted by my desires (good, bad, past, present, and future desires). I have tried to pray to God to remove all of my desires and only give me a desire for him. However, this hasn't seemed to work.

Overall, I really don't know what to do anymore. I just can't seem to figure it out. Everything is really confusing right now. I am tired of not making any progress. I feel just the same as I felt before I gave my life to Christ.
Maybe your lack of love for God has something to do with it?
Just saying.

Upvote 0

mmksparbud

Dec 3, 2011
Las Vegas
✟255,978.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Widowed
Politics
US-Others
It just makes me upset that I have been stuck here in my entire walk so far (I started about two years ago at the age of 14.)

Which makes you all of 16! That makes you at the top of the chain of raging hormones. Now, just maybe, you are struggling to attain something that you are not yet prepared for. Sometimes, we need to step back and quite trying so hard---not that we give in to our inclinations, but to not work so hard at not thinking about them for that is when all we can do is think about them!! You need to change your tactics, obviously what you are doing is not working. Step back and change your prayers to have God show you what steps to take next. Stay with the milk for now---change your studies to learn more about Jesus Himself. Go back to the study of the gospels, Take a chapter a day and ask God to show you what He wants you to know about Him. Think about God, Jesus, the Holy Spirit, and not about what you need to do. Get to know Jesus -- without that, you will not advance. It is Jesus that saves, not what you know, but how much you know Him and love Him. Your love for Him is what will get you to the next steps. What He thinks, not what you think.

Upvote 0

Aussie Pete

Site Supporter
Aug 14, 2019
Frankston
Visit site
✟727,630.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Divorced
Hi

Go through your post and count the number of times that you've referred to "I". God's way is not our way. Most Christians, because of ignorance, try to improve themselves. It is utterly frustrating because we are not able to change ourselves. Even if we manage to have some outward change, the real, inner us does not. Paul lays it out in Romans 7.

God's method is very simple. He is not interested in repairing. He replaces. He takes away the old nature by including us in the death of Christ on the cross. Then He gives us a new nature by including us in the resurrection of Christ. There are many references in the Bible to God's way of doing things. For some absurd reasons, we choose to do things the impossible way. One day we are totally defeated and we may accept that God was right after all. Then Romans 8 applies. The day that I saw this truth myself was almost as significant as the day I was born again.

Perfection in experience will never happen in this life. But we sure can experience the abundant life that Lord Jesus promised us here and now. You will find many problems that you suffer will evaporate and that Lord Jesus will become more real to you than you could imagine right now. Let Jesus live out His life, in you, through you and in place of you. Even if you do not see the change, everyone else will!

Reactions: April_Rose
Upvote 0
Jun 16, 2020
London
✟107,044.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Go through your post and count the number of times that you've referred to "I". God's way is not our way. Most Christians, because of ignorance, try to improve themselves. It is utterly frustrating because we are not able to change ourselves. Even if we manage to have some outward change, the real, inner us does not. Paul lays it out in Romans 7.

God's method is very simple. He is not interested in repairing. He replaces. He takes away the old nature by including us in the death of Christ on the cross. Then He gives us a new nature by including us in the resurrection of Christ. There are many references in the Bible to God's way of doing things. For some absurd reasons, we choose to do things the impossible way. One day we are totally defeated and we may accept that God was right after all. Then Romans 8 applies. The day that I saw this truth myself was almost as significant as the day I was born again.

Perfection in experience will never happen in this life. But we sure can experience the abundant life that Lord Jesus promised us here and now. You will find many problems that you suffer will evaporate and that Lord Jesus will become more real to you than you could imagine right now. Let Jesus live out His life, in you, through you and in place of you. Even if you do not see the change, everyone else will!

"Perfection in experience will never happen in this life."

By faith Enoch was translated that he should not see death; and was not found, because God had translated him: for before his translation he had this testimony, that he pleased God.

• Agree
Upvote 0

FutureAndAHope

Just me
Site Supporter
Aug 30, 2008
Australia
Visit site
✟735,952.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Hi

If you are praying to over come your sins, and doing your best to beat them, there is not much more you can do; just keep trying. As for hearing God speak to you, this is not necessary all the time in the Christian walk. I know there is a lot of talk about hearing from God, but the reality is God does not communicate to us as clearly as people communicate. He may give us an impression, or a thought, and yes He may speak, but it is rare. It does not mean you are a bad Christian. Also as for trying to remove all of your desires, and replace them with only Jesus. That is for the most part un-realistic. The bible actually tells us when we trust in the LORD He will "give us the desires of our heart". We are told in Ecclesiastics, to not be overly righteous, for it will destroy us, this means we should still enjoy the natural life, things like entertainment etc, while avoiding blatant sin and rebellion. God is not against you enjoying life, in fact He wants us all to make the most of our lives. The bible says if we fear God He will let us walk that path.

• Winner
Reactions: Macchiato
Upvote 0

Aussie Pete

Site Supporter
Aug 14, 2019
Frankston
Visit site
✟727,630.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Divorced
"Perfection in experience will never happen in this life."

By faith Enoch was translated that he should not see death; and was not found, because God had translated him: for before his translation he had this testimony, that he pleased God.
Sure, it is possible to live in a way that pleases God. However, God's standard is Jesus. I fall short of that. How about you?

Upvote 0
Jun 16, 2020
London
✟107,044.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Sure, it is possible to live in a way that pleases God. However, God's standard is Jesus. I fall short of that. How about you?

no doubt .... but there is more to it.... because for God its already a fished work and therefor sees us this way, its just that we must still enter into His rest and remain ....

Upvote 0

Albion

Facilitator
Dec 8, 2004
✟583,842.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Jaedan, I appreciate your feelings, but here is another way of looking at the matter which I truly believe. While a lot of Christians talk -- and therefore think -- in terms of a young believer being a "baby" in Christ who lives on "milk" but is expected to move to "meat" in time...

...there is an opposite theme to be found in Scripture also. That is that for all the intricacies of the faith, which are important to our development, there is also a stunning simplicity to the Gospel.

I am referring to the admonition that Jesus is the Son of God who did for us what we cannot do for ourselves and through his work we may be saved. Trust him. That is what Jesus himself made his basic call to those men who were the closest to him, who had followed him for three years prior to his death and had learned from him. But in the clutch, his message to them was just this: trust in Him.

Try not to do it all for yourself. We have someone stronger who has already taken care of that which, after all is said and done, is at the heart of the Gospel message.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Jaedan

Take this brother may it serve you well
Jun 30, 2020
Somewhere in the Midwest
✟68,913.00
Country
United States
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Private
Which makes you all of 16! That makes you at the top of the chain of raging hormones. Now, just maybe, you are struggling to attain something that you are not yet prepared for. Sometimes, we need to step back and quite trying so hard---not that we give in to our inclinations, but to not work so hard at not thinking about them for that is when all we can do is think about them!! You need to change your tactics, obviously what you are doing is not working. Step back and change your prayers to have God show you what steps to take next. Stay with the milk for now---change your studies to learn more about Jesus Himself. Go back to the study of the gospels, Take a chapter a day and ask God to show you what He wants you to know about Him. Think about God, Jesus, the Holy Spirit, and not about what you need to do. Get to know Jesus -- without that, you will not advance. It is Jesus that saves, not what you know, but how much you know Him and love Him. Your love for Him is what will get you to the next steps. What He thinks, not what you think.

Could you elaborate on the "Now, just maybe, you are struggling to attain something that you are not yet prepared for." part?

Upvote 0

mmksparbud

Dec 3, 2011
Las Vegas
✟255,978.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Widowed
Politics
US-Others
Could you elaborate on the "Now, just maybe, you are struggling to attain something that you are not yet prepared for." part?

Maybe, you are not, like most of us, doing what you can with what you do know. Practicing what knowledge you have been given. Quite often we want to be or do something "more", when, in fact, we have not lived up to what we know. God does not use the fully equipped---He equips the fully devoted and willing to do His will. He does the preparing. It took 40 years as a shepherd before Moses was sent to save the Jews, it took 20 years before David was actually anointed King, It took Joseph many years as a slave and years as a prisoner before he was ruler of Egypt and it was 30 years before even Jesus was fully prepared to start His work on earth. Let God lead, do not leap ahead of Him, ask to be lead. Ask what you need to do now, ask where He wants you to go now, be what He asks you to be now---it is what prepares you for the next step and He will not take you to that next step until you are doing everything He wants you to do now. Fill your heart with Him, not with what you want to do. Get to know Him, that is what the meat actually is---more of Him in us.

Upvote 0

Swan7

Made in the image of His Grace
Site Supporter
Aug 3, 2014
Forever Summer
✟435,986.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I’m not gonna pull a Job’s friends event here because I have not seen your life like God has, since He sees and knows all.

What I can do is encourage you to continue to walk in the Light of the Lord our God. Keep fighting the good fight as Paul said and read Romans 6-8. Sometimes it takes Christians years to overcome, but we overcome with Christ and never on our own strength - it’s part of why Christ died and rose again, giving us Hope in Him. :yellowheart:

Upvote 0

Jaedan

Take this brother may it serve you well
Jun 30, 2020
Somewhere in the Midwest
✟68,913.00
Country
United States
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Private
from where i see you are you are not doubting God/Truth but your own reasoning of who/what He/it is, which is exactly where He wants you to be :oldthumbsup:

"which is exactly where He wants you to be"

Could you explain a little bit more?

Upvote 0
Jun 16, 2020
London
✟107,044.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
"which is exactly where He wants you to be"

Could you explain a little bit more?

questioning your own reasoning

the narrative of the bible (which speaks to a process happening within us) is about our journey of a there and back as in a casting out, a point of reference (cross) and a gathering back in

it is a turning from ones own reasoning to reasoning with God, understanding our own reasoning by way of two fruits of a tree is measured and therefor the Truth becomes measured back to us as something nailed down and therefor an idol/lie

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

MomofaDozen

Jul 1, 2018
western North Carolina
✟22,806.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Widowed
Hi

Upvote 0

MomofaDozen

Jul 1, 2018
western North Carolina
✟22,806.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Widowed
Dear Jaedan, It sounds like you are RIGHT where God wants you to be!! Your heart wants more and that is good! The question is: What do you want more of? Do you want to behave better? Feel more spiritual? Understand the Bible better?
Or would you just like to have a deeper relationship with God where you know Him more and feel Him closer? Because if you get that, you will get all of the rest with Him.

You are young and that is when the desires of the flesh can be the most intense and most distracting. So, the fact that you want to do better is a good thing. (Romans 7 explains this.)

Here are some things that will help. I know this because they have helped me and millions of others.
First, avoid whatever brings you to temptation. Is there something that always trips you up? If so, avoid it and learn new habits. The best way to break a bad habit is to start a new one and change the way you think about it. Take control and refuse to give in, knowing that the enemy of your soul is behind the things that snag you. He wants to make you feel foolish, humiliated and defeated. Take charge in Jesus's name and win.
And whenever you miss the mark, take your shame and discouragement to Jesus. Confess your sin to Him and share your thoughts with Him. He doesn't want you to do good FOR Him, He wants you to do it WITH Him. He is on your side and wants to help you overcome ALL things.
God isn't there to accuse you. That's what satan does. God is there to help you up and help you get back on the right path.

Reading the Bible, praying, striving to do the right thing are all GREAT ---except when they become the thing. It sounds strange, but sometimes TRYING to do the right thing can get in the way of actually doing the right thing. We can actually get distracted from seeing God by trying too hard.
God wants you to KNOW Him, to connect with Him, to just BE with Him.
Worship Him, tell Him how much you love Him, enter into God's presence by praise and worship. Thank Him for everything that you have enjoyed today and for everything that is good. I believe you'l start feeling God's love for you and you'll know that that's all you need. He will take care of the rest as you simply walk WITH God, knowing that He loves you. Does that make sense?

Upvote 0

April_Rose

Jul 4, 2020
Ohio
✟23,719.00
Country
United States
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Engaged
John 3:16. It doesn't matter if we feel saved or not, God's promise stands true now and forever? Do you believe that He died on the cross for our sins and rose again out of love for us? If you do congratulations and I'll see you in Heaven someday. It's that simple.

• Agree
Reactions: mmksparbud
Upvote 0

Albion

Facilitator
Dec 8, 2004
✟583,842.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
I know that all Christians at a point in their walk should make the leap from feeding on the milk of the word to feeding on the meat of the word, thus becoming mature in Christ, (in others words, no longer being a babe in Christ ( 1 Corinthians 3) I understand this.

There are some churches which talk that way, borrowing terminology from Scripture and making it say something other than what is meant there.

Maybe if you were to break free of that mindset which says that when you become a born again disciple of Christ you really are not a first-rate Christian yet, but you must become some sort of theologian as a next step or something else of that sort....

I know that I haven't progressed. Deep inside, I still feel like a babe in Christ. This distresses me deeply. It just makes me upset that I have been stuck here in my entire walk so far
Do you see what I mean? There are no "apprentice" Christians in Christ's church. Yes, we learn and we grow throughout our journey, but you seem to me to have been put in some box by bad preaching, and look what it's done! Get out of there would be my advice.

Upvote 0

Joined2krist

Site Supporter
Jul 15, 2015
✟427,078.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
God bless you. It's good that you're desiring a leap. I suggest you ensure your foundation is solid before taking the leap to the meat stage, so that you wouldn't have built your faith on a faulty foundation. Enjoy each stage of this lifetime journey

• Friendly
Upvote 0