Not open for further replies.

Notedstrangeperson

Jul 3, 2008
✟12,024.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
In Relationship
Most of us here can quote a few Bible verses stating that faith is required to go to heaven - but why is this? Any thoughts? Could we get a few opinions from any atheists?

EDIT:
We seem under the impression that atheists do not want to go to heaven. I on't think this is the case. Here for example is a section from The God Delusion by Richard Dawkins:

But why, in any case, do we so readily accept the idea that the one thing you must do if you want to please God is believe in him? What's so special about believing? Isn't it just as likely that God would reward kindness, or generosity, or humility? Or sincerity? What if God is a scientist who regards honest seeking after truth as the supreme virtue? Indeed, wouldn't the designer of the universe have to be a scientist?
(...)
Mightn't God respect [Bertrand Russell] for his courageous scepticism far more than he would respect Pascal for his cowardly bet-hedging?
(...)
Wouldn't you bet on God's valuing dishonestly faked belief (or even honest belief) over honest scepticism?

Last edited:

ebia

Senior Contributor
Jul 6, 2004
A very long way away. Sometimes even further.
✟54,775.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Politics
AU-Greens
Most of us here can quote a few Bible verses stating that faith is required to go to heaven - but why is this? Any thoughts? Could we get a few opinions from any atheists?
It makes no sense to become a citizen of a country while refusing at the same time to entirely reject the way that country is governed and run.

To reject Jesus as Lord is to reject the Kingdom of God. The two are one and the same thing.

Upvote 0

unkern

National Guard
Jun 19, 2008
Indiana
✟16,009.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

They do not obey his commands, therefore they do not love him (John 14)

Upvote 0

Earnie

Jul 17, 2009
✟15,145.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Single
Jesus said "I am the way, the truth, and the life. No man cometh unto the Father, but by me". The only way to heaven is to come to the realization that you(and all men) are sinners and therefore must go to hell to pay for your sin..just like the penalties for breaking laws here on earth, there are penalties. That's the only way you can pay for your sins. But, if you repent(are truly sorry) from your sin, believe Jesus died on the cross and shed his blood(gave his life for yours). and went to hell in your place, and put your trust in Him and what he did(not what you can do), and ask HIm..that is what gets you to heaven. Romans 6:23 says "For the wages of sin is death, but the gift of God is eternal life through Jesus Christ our Lord." Jesus did not have his own sin to pay for..if he did , he could not pay for yours. And notice it's a gift(free). The book of Romans calls it a gift many times..sounds like God is trying to make a point! If you have to earn a gift, it's not a gift anymore. You can't earn Heaven, it's a gift. "For whosoever shall call upon the name of the Lord shall be saved". Romans 10:13.

Upvote 0

david_x

I So Hate Consequences!!!!
Dec 24, 2004
Indiana
✟21,439.00
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single

Atheists can't go to heaven, because they don't want to.

Upvote 0

NaLuvena

Nov 18, 2008
Apia, Samoa
✟10,557.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

Would an atheist even believe that there was a place called heaven?

Upvote 0

wayseer

Jun 10, 2008
Maryborough, QLD, Australia
✟11,131.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private

How is it I get the impression you don't think much of the faith trip? And, if your questioning the Christian doctrine of faith what possibly reason is there for consulting atheists?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Inviolable

Feb 27, 2006
✟3,179.00
Faith
Christian
Most of us here can quote a few Bible verses stating that faith is required to go to heaven - but why is this? Any thoughts?
They wouldn't fit in. :)

Could we get a few opinions from any atheists?
Not in this section of the forums. It's Christian only.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Emmy

Senior Veteran
Feb 15, 2004
✟50,995.00
Faith
Salvation Army
Dear Notedstrangeperson. I am not an Atheist, but I can give you a reasone why Atheists cannot go to Heaven. Jesus told us: " I am the only Way, and I am the Door to Heaven." It is only when an Atheist allows Jesus to change him, or her, can they go through the door. I say this humbly and with love. Greetings from Emmy, sister in Christ.

Upvote 0

DamianWarS

Follower of Isa Al Masih
Site Supporter
May 15, 2008
✟858,457.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
you need faith to go into heaven. Faith comes from the heart and God is concerned with out hearts not with just our works. You are saying that a atheist trying to seek out knowledge through science may go to heaven because in the end he is seeking truth like the rest of us and God will honor that desire for truth. Well a statement like that is dangerous and if you believe in that than what you are saying is all paths lead to God as long as we desire truth.

An atheist does not desire truth they desire truth that explains away God. If they found a explanation of God they would not stand for it but instead try and disprove it because they approach all questions with the same assumption "there is no God" so they have already made their judgment.

If I went to church all my life and acted very christian and maybe even became a preacher does that mean I go into heaven? No, God is not impressed with my works and they will not get me into heaven. If they did that would contradict the entire reason why Jesus died for us. Jesus died for everyone because we need to be sinless to be in the presence of God. Since none of us are sinless Jesus than forgives us through this death on the cross. Since he was sinless he was made into a sacrifice to God for all of mankind. Remember that story in the old testament when Abraham is trying to defend Sodom and Gomorrah (Genesis 18:20-33) and he was saying "would you save it for 50 righteous people in the city" then he says 40, 30 and goes down to 10. Each time God says he would save it for the sake of the righteous people and he would save it for the sake of 1 righteous person but there was no righteous person that day not even Abraham. Jesus is the righteous person that has come and through his righteous we can be saved.

No person can get into heaven by "what they do" we need to believe and accept Jesus Christ (which is faith) to get into heaven.

Upvote 0

BrotherDave

Sep 11, 2005
Bay Area, California
✟16,220.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

Why?

Because if we do not have faith we are under the law (Gal 3:23) and it is through the law we are dead (Gal 2:19, Gal 3:11, Heb 7:19).

Christ is the only way to escape the punishment of breaking even the smallest law. He is the only door to Heaven. If we have faith, we love Christ because He has redeemed us from the curse of the law (Gal 2:13) and we live for him (2 Corinth5:15, Eph 6:7) we hunger and thirst after righteousness (Matt 5:6).

Atheist hunger and thirst after things of this world so they are enemies of God (James 4:4). We cannot serve the Lord and this world (Matt6:24).

But thankfully Christ came for sinners and this includes atheist. This is why they need to be exposed to the Bible so if it be God’s will He will change their hearts and then they will have faith and get to heaven (Ro 10:17). But without Christ, there is no hope.

Upvote 0

Bro_Sam

Feb 27, 2006
✟8,312.00
Faith
Calvinist
Does the atheist want to go to heaven?
Paul Washer said:
"Of course the unsaved want to go to Heaven. They just don't want Jesus to be there when they get there."

John Piper said:
"The Bible is clear that the heart of man is so wicked that even if an unregenerate man could be released from Hell to petition God for forgiveness, he would walk up to Christ, spit in His eye, and then gladly return to Hell."

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.