Why can't all Christians be on the same page?

muddleglum

May 1, 2015
✟8,060.00
Faith
Anabaptist
Marital Status
Married
As a peacemaker, this confuses me as much as it disturbs me. The bible is proof that all of the members of the body of Christ are to be in unity. Here are some verses that support Christians being united and not divided.
Get a jar of Rom 14-15:1-7 and smear on generously. This problem isn't new.

Then go to 1 Cor 5 and study that.

Paul was saying in his Roman passage something very important. In that time and place were the "strong" and the "weak". Most people stop there. But Paul admonished those who were "weak" and judging as well as admonishing the "strong" and contemptuous. Although he technically agreed with the "strong," he pointed out the need to love. Love--agape love--shows that Christ is in the person, no matter what the differences are.

The passage in 1 Cor 5 shows there are limits. Moreover, in this passage Paul was teaching a love that seems rather harsh:
5 I have decided to deliver such a one to Satan for the destruction of his
flesh, so that his spirit may be saved in the day of the Lord Jesus.​

Yet, arguably in the first part of 2 Cor, we see Paul encouraging the Corinthians to take him back in love.

My wife and I brought into our house one such woman and worked to build her up after she came back to the church. The hardest part was protecting her from some who didn't understand what our church was trying to accomplish. Her boyfriend also came back and they married later on.

On a completely different occasion I felt led to turn someone else over to Satan. Some Very Ugly Things resulted and we ended up adopting the children. Later, we gave the children back to be adopted! LOL. But that was after repentance and rebuilding.
Our doctrinal perspective was very different, BTW, and still is. Oh, and our doctrinal perspective was different than our church's, too. Yet the core was there in both and that is all my wife and I ask.

Hope this helps. Abide in Christ; for without Him, you can do nothing.

Upvote 0

Ken Rank

Site Supporter
Jan 12, 2014
Winchester, KENtucky
✟308,985.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
As a peacemaker, this confuses me as much as it disturbs me. The bible is proof that all of the members of the body of Christ are to be in unity. Here are some verses that support Christians being united and not divided!

Here is what is happening. When we in our Western paradigm see, "be of one mind and one accord" we tend to take that as "one in form." Meaning, agreeing with each other, looking more like each other, thinking more like each other, etc. However, the Semitic way of taking that phrase ("of one mind and one accord"), and the author of that verse was raised in Semitic culture, is understanding that we are one "in function." In other words, we shouldn't expect that being unique individuals as God created us that we would all agree on every detail. In fact... we don't even agree with ourselves at points in our walk! (gasp) What do I mean? I mean when you first came to Messiah, did you know then what you know now? In 5 years if you keep studying, will you know now what you will know then? Spiritual growth is fluid and some are on different pages than others... and as long as we still have teachers AND students... we will have folks on different levels of understanding.

So... back to being one "in function." What that means is that we realize that we are part of a body and that while that body has different parts that look and function differently, they are working together for the good of the whole. So, being of one mind and one accord is not looking, thinking, and acting the same... it is working together DESPITE our differences toward the common goals we share in Christ and the coming Kingdom.

Upvote 0

DarrellGC

Sep 22, 2015
✟15,148.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
While it would be nice, we all have differing upbringings experiences that shape how we view things and how we interact with others.

For example, I was raised to try to be compassionate, fair, and that I should always treat others as I would like to be treated. So to me the verses about compassion, kindness and redemption stand out to me the strongest. I look at how some churches and their elders have advised turning their backs on others has always seemed the completely counter to what Jesus taught.

Upvote 0

beekaye

Nov 6, 2015
canada
✟16,466.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Short answer: Because everyone's right and everyone else is wrong. People tend to forget that we are still just Apes. Genetically we're almost 99% identical to chimpanzees so of course we're still going to be petty and animalistic when it comes to our thought patterns and the way we form our beliefs. When you have something special that you hold dear, that you have been taught your entire life to be the "real truth" of course you're going to be threatened when someone who was raised with slightly different beliefs than you expresses those beliefs, even if they are just silly, minor differences.

Upvote 0

ISTANDBYJESUS

Joseph Melo
Sep 21, 2014
Heaven: in the Spirit of Christ
✟791.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Why can't all Christians be on the same page?

1 Corinthians 11:19King James Version (KJV)
19 For there must be also heresies among you, that they which are approved may be made manifest among you.

Ephesians 5:13King James Version (KJV)

13 But all things that are reproved(CORRECTED) are made manifest by the light: for whatsoever doth make manifest is light.

Upvote 0

grandvizier1006

I don't use this anymore, but I still follow Jesus
Site Supporter
Dec 2, 2014
MS
✟664,118.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
I have a theory that all Christians who question the sect/faction of religion they belong too, who scratch their heads, who go to bed at night and wonder wth am I doing, who say to themselves, I don't want to tell people I'm struggling, but God I'm really struggling here, need to go back to the teachings of the 1st century church, what Jesus taught, what the apostles taught, the very very basics. Forget the dogma, forget the religious rule books and the conferences on this or that church teaching. Does Christ say it? What does he say? What does the Bible say? I mean, WHAT DOES THE BIBLE REALLY SAY? What does CHRIST REALLY SAY? This is what we need to go back too.

This is the issue with the divisions of the church, Jesus, the apostles, the disciples all considered certain cannon that is not in the Bible, but mentioned and alluded to IN the Bible. This is what people need to know. They are NOT getting the full message. The Catholic Church and the sects of the Protestant Church are NOT teaching the full message. Now why is that? What would possess them NOT to teach the full message? In the Council of Laodecia, they threw out certain scriptures that were considered authentic and inspired by the first church teachings. Now, why, why, would PETER consider certain texts so important, that he and other authors in the NEW TESTAMENT, would mention or allude to it over 100x? Why, why would the Catholic Church, the Protestant Church, the Council of Laodecia murder people who thought these scriptures were SO important that they be burned at the stake, or tortured to death in some way? That troubles me greatly. Whose authority is on the Scriptures that the Jesus, the Apostles, and the disciples think is SO important that it is mentioned throughout the OT and the NT? It's GOD's authority. NOT MAN'S!

I am not talking about the gnostic scriptures. I'm talking about the books specifically talked about in the Bible: Jasher, Jubilees, Enoch, Giants, and so many more. This disturbs me. Because when you read these books and put the message together with the first Church, in the basic core teachings of WHY Jesus died for US, it makes so much sense.

I cannot take these churches seriously anymore. They've done a huge, huge immeasurable disservice to Christians everywhere by lying to them. What did John say in the Bible? He said, ANYONE WHO EDITS THESE SCRIPTURES WILL NOT RECEIVE THE KINGDOM! And what did they do? They took those scriptures out ANYWAY! We are being lied too. Enoch, Jasher, Jubilees, and a few others complete this story of what Jesus is talking to us about. Completes the story of Revelations. AND, IT WAS INTENTIONALLY LEFT OUT! Many shake their head, they feel the end times coming, they sense it in their bones, maybe they even wake up in the middle of the night, look out the window, and wonder, wth is going on with this world? We have not been given the entire message. We need to really really question these churches.
Pull every scripture out of Jesus's sayings. Every one. Ask yourself, does this church do this? Seriously, pull them out and question. If you go down a laundry list, you will find, the answer.

Now why is it, why, that so so very many Christians are leaving the church? What is it, that the church is not doing? Ever wondered that? Ever wondered, are they really really doing for our brothers and sisters? When we have these mega fat cat churches with 10m homes? When we have Archbishops protecting pedophiles! Who is really serving Christ's sheep? WHO? It's NOT THE CHURCHES!

Now....why is it...why...I ask you...why is it that our kids are getting abused, that our families our falling apart, that our society is crumbling? Where are the churches as the 7 LAMPS! WHERE ARE THEY??? Do you see them? Ask yourself that. Where are our pastors that are supposed to "step in" for us and help out, or deacons, or disciples...ever see them?

I'm not saying this 100% for all Christians or all faiths. I know their are good hard working loving people out there who really love God and shake their heads as well.

All I ask, is that you do a comparison, you look at the evaluation of the church, compared to the teachings of Christ. Ask yourself...who is my brother? Can we say to ourselves as Christians, that we really serve humanity? Seriously? You think Christ is gonna say, ok, you are my chosen? NOPE. He's gonna say to us, I never knew you. This again, is not for every Christian, but...the signs are there unfortunately that our churches are crumbling, and being attacked from within and without.

The NT, The OT, Enoch, Jasher, Jubilees and a few others are all 100%, 150% Christ based. All of it. We have been lied too, and it's time to stand up as Christians and go back to the teachings of Christ 100%
You're going overboard. Many, many churches--even the ones from denominations I personally disagree with--have many genuine, Bible-believing, Jesus-following believers in them. Churches are not all fraudulent.

Reactions: FireDragon76
Upvote 0

dayhiker

Mature veteran
Sep 13, 2006
MA
✟220,077.00
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Others
Most people who are Christians love God, so they are obeying the 1st commandment. When we look at what God has created we see God creates great variety. So I don't expect people to be a like. I expect to see great variety in people. I believe its us humans to make small things (pages) and try to put everyone on that page.

Reactions: Julie.S
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

dqhall

Site Supporter
Jul 21, 2015
Florida
Visit site
✟766,603.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Jesus ate and drank with tax collectors and sinners. He was accused of being with reprobate people. Jesus was not with them to be corrupted, but there so they could have good fellowship and righteous testimony.

Matthew 25:34 (ASV) Then shall the King say unto them on his right hand, Come, ye blessed of my Father, inherit the kingdom prepared for you from the foundation of the world: 35for I was hungry, and ye gave me to eat; I was thirsty, and ye gave me drink; I was a stranger, and ye took me in; 36naked, and ye clothed me; I was sick, and ye visited me; I was in prison, and ye came unto me. 37Then shall the righteous answer him, saying, Lord, when saw we thee hungry, and fed thee? or athirst, and gave thee drink? 38And when saw we thee a stranger, and took thee in? or naked, and clothed thee? 39And when saw we thee sick, or in prison, and came unto thee? 40And the King shall answer and say unto them, Verily I say unto you, Inasmuch as ye did it unto one of these my brethren, even these least, ye did it unto me.

Upvote 0

DennisTate

Site Supporter
Mar 31, 2012
Nova Scotia, Canada
Visit site
✟379,864.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Conservatives
As a peacemaker, this confuses me as much as it disturbs me. The bible is proof that all of the members of the body of Christ are to be in unity. Here are some verses that support Christians being united and not divided.
1 Corinthians 1:10
10 I appeal to you, brothers, in the name of our Lord Jesus Christ, that all of you agree with one another so that there may be no divisions among you and that you may be perfectly united in mind and thought.

Ephesians 4:1-3
1 As a prisoner for the Lord, then, I urge you to live a life worthy of the calling you have received. 2 Be completely humble and gentle; be patient, bearing with one another in love. 3Make every effort to keep the unity of the Spirit through the bond of peace.

Ephesians 4:2-6
2 Be completely humble and gentle; be patient, bearing with one another in love. 3 Make every effort to keep the unity of the Spirit through the bond of peace. 4 There is one body and one Spirit-just as you were called to one hope when you were called- 5 one Lord, one faith, one baptism; 6 one God and Father of all, who is over all and through all and in all.

Sadly, this is not what I am seeing in the body of Christ. In Galatians 6:1, it says that we are to restore fellowship to a loved one or fellow sister or brother who is sinning.

I am struggling with dealing with friends who are living in some sort of sin, but when I turn to the elders, whom are supposed to be unbiased ministers of reconciliation, they will tell me to turn against them as an act of responsible prudence, since "I don't need" such people in my life.

A true peacemaker will not be biased and tell one Christian to get rid of someone else who is a Christian because they are not fitting into "their" definition of righteousness.

I admit, I am selfish towards my closest friend and we have our spats and disagrements, and yes, I do not trust her 100%, yet I chose to stick by her and see her through without giving up on her and turning my back on her no matter what the cost, unless she does something blatantly dishonest. I know God has called me and my friend, who is also a very helpful nanny to our 4 year old son to stick together in unity.

Proverbs 15:22 states that if you surround yourself with many counselors, your plans will succeed. But Jeremiah 17:5 says we are cursed for trusting in man (and whose heart turns away from God.) I have been seeking God as wholeheartedly as can be expected in these crazy last days. I do put my trust and faith in the Lord more than anything or anyone, yet I feel as though I am not getting as far as I have been called to. I still revisit the fact that I need the cooperation of other members of the body of Christ to be my allies and be interested in helping me promote unity in the church including between me and my Christian friends, whom God has put into my life. What God has put together, let no man separate. It just doesn't talk about marriage.

In Matthew 18:15-17 Jesus gives options about how to deal with someone who sins in the church. Some people I see clearly however are abusing what it says in Matthew 18:17, treating people who are struggling with sin as pagans, thinking that they don't listen or care about the truth when they do care about what's right in their hearts. I know it's a challenge for Christian leaders to tell what's in the hearts of people who are having struggles.

However, I just don't see "kicking someone out of my fellowship" as an act of tough love as the appropriate answer when my friend(s) and I are having disagreements.

Galatians 6:1 encourages us to restore someone in sin to gentleness, but when I turn to an elder for assistance with a dispute I am having with a close Christian friend, it is drawn way out of porportion!

1 Thessalonians 5:14 also says to rebuke those in sin, but encourage the weak and be patient towards all. I don't see this hardly!
If Christians are supposed to be in tune with God and the Holy Spirit, why is it that they are still in disagreement with each other? It just doesn't make sense to me.

The very thing that I am passionate about, unity, fellowship and true friendship in the church, is also what's affecting me in my personal life.

God brings people into my life, yet also allows so called church elders to come in and disapprove of the friends I choose when I have a problem. Egads! We're supposed to restore them to fellowship, rebuking them where necessary, holding them accountable, but don't turn your back on them! True, when people are disobedient, we are to not associate with them, but too many in the church are judging fellows brothers and sisters as being disobedient where they are not.

Pray for me everyone! I am dealing with something that hits home for me. I will close with this last verse.
James 5:16 Therefore, confess your sins to one another and pray for one another, that you may be healed. The prayer of a righteous person has great power as it is working.

I believe that you would be greatly encouraged by the way that
Pastor Rick Joyner, in a visionary dream of heaven, given to him back
in 1995, was shown that Messiah Yeshua - Jesus loves all churches.

The Hordes of Hell Are Marching I, II, III

The Faithful

I was filled with love for these soldiers, many of whom were women and children. Their armor was a mess, and they were covered in blood, but they had not quit. In fact. they were still cheerful and encouraged. I told them that they were deserving of more honor than I was, because they had borne the greatest burden of the battle, and had held their ground. They seemed not to believe me, but appreciated that I would say it. However, I really felt that it was true.

Every level on the mountain had to be occupied or the vultures that were left would come and foul it with vomit and excrement until it was difficult to stand on. Most of the ledges were occupied by soldiers which I recognized to be from different denominations or movements which emphasized the truth of the level they were defending. I was embarrassed by the attitude I had maintained toward some of these groups. I had considered some of them out of touch and backslidden at best, but here they were fighting faithfully against a terrible onslaught of the enemy. Their defense of these positions had probably enabled me to keep climbing as I had.

Some of these levels were situated so that there was a view of a good part of the mountain or battlefield, but some were so isolated that the soldiers on them could only see their own position, and seemed not to even know about the rest of the battle raging. They were often so wounded from the slander and accusations that they would be resistant when someone came down to them from a higher level and encouraged them to climb higher. However, when some began to come down from the top reflecting the glory of the Lord, they listened with great joy, and soon began to climb themselves with courage and resolve. As I beheld all of this, Wisdom did not say much, but he seemed very interested in my reactions.

Reality Discovered

Upvote 0

FireDragon76

Site Supporter
Apr 30, 2013
Orlando, Florida
✟1,260,034.00
Country
United States
Faith
United Ch. of Christ
Politics
US-Democrat
Christian unity is a lofty ideal that is an easy to rock to shipwreck your faith on. It's also easily given to a theology of glory, where we focus on our human efforts to bring about unity, rather than on the God who loves us and has redeemed us in Jesus Christ, without our own strength or merits.

Everybody has our own particular reading of the Scripture shaped by our culture and its pre-conceptions. For many Protestants, actually, the Lord's Supper itself became an object of disunity. For instance, my current tradition I belong to, the Lutheran one, insists on the bodily reality of Christ's presence in the sacrament of Holy Communion. The Reformed, on the other hand, insist that Christ is not bodily present under the elements of bread and wine... and it is a major source of division.

You can't be responsible for somebody else's faith. You don't necessarily even have to agree with them on everything. You don't even have to like them. Just figure out who Jesus is for you, and live in accordance with that. I would say, rather than work for unity, pray for unity, and put it in God's hands.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

DennisTate

Site Supporter
Mar 31, 2012
Nova Scotia, Canada
Visit site
✟379,864.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Conservatives
I strongly suspect that Messiah Yeshua - Jesus is wanting to use a certain type of Christian like Colton Burpo more powrfully but many Christians will tend to object. When our fear for our own salvation outweighs our fear for the salvation of others....... we can come to some bad conclusions.

The being of light of NDE fame, G-d or Satan?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

rockytopva

Love to pray! :)
Site Supporter
Mar 6, 2011
Visit site
✟1,064,547.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Single
I believe in the seven churches as ages...

Ephesus - Messianic - Beginning with the Apostle to the Circumcision, Peter
Smyrna - Martyr - Beginning with the Apostle to the Un-Circumcision, Paul
Pergamos - Orthodoxy formed in this time... Pergos is a tower... Needed in the dark ages
Thyatira - Catholicism formed in this time - The spirit of Jezebel is to control and to dominate.
Sardis - Protestantism formed in this time- A sardius is a gem - elegant yet hard and rigid
Philadelphia - Wesleyism formed in this time - To be sanctioned is to acquire it with love.
Laodicea - Charismatic movement formed in this time - Beginning with DL Moody, the first to make money off of ministry

Love wol nat been constreyned by maistrye;
Whan maistrie comth, the God of Love anon
Beteth hise wynges, and farewel, he is gon!
Love is a thyng as any spirit free. - Chaucer

In the message to the Philadelphians the Lord says, "Him that overcometh will I make a pillar in the temple of my God, and he shall go no more out..." - Revelation 3:12

And if you every studied Methodism that the revivals are good for the first couple generations before going the way of the Laodicean church age. Once people feel they have arrived, the Good Spirit, The God of Love, can beat his wings, and say see ya! And farewell! He is gone!

If people would hold onto their original love and freedom I believe there is hope that we can all be on the same page. The following is a quote from the GC Rankin book about life in Methodism in the 1800's. The story is a joy for me to read as I picked up my salvation in similar methods, so I am on the same page with the guy. It is too bad that the southeast did not retain salvation with these methods. There are times when a church goes too much Laodicean, or too much Sardisean, that I have got to get off the boat with these people.

...Quote...

After the team had been fed and we had been to supper we put the mules to the wagon, filled it with chairs and we were off to the meeting. When we reached the locality it was about dark and the people were assembling. Their horses and wagons filled up the cleared spaces and the singing was already in progress. My uncle and his family went well up toward the front, but I dropped into a seat well to the rear. It was an old-fashioned Church, ancient in appearance, oblong in shape and unpretentious. It was situated in a grove about one hundred yards from the road. It was lighted with old tallow-dip candles furnished by the neighbors. It was not a prepossessing-looking place, but it was soon crowded and evidently there was a great deal of interest. A cadaverous-looking man stood up in front with a tuning fork and raised and led the songs. There were a few prayers and the minister came in with his saddlebags and entered the pulpit. He was the Rev. W. H. Heath, the circuit rider. His prayer impressed me with his earnestness and there were many amens to it in the audience. I do not remember his text, but it was a typical revival sermon, full of unction and power.

At its close he invited penitents to the altar and a great many young people flocked to it and bowed for prayer. Many of them became very much affected and they cried out distressingly for mercy. It had a strange effect on me. It made me nervous and I wanted to retire. Directly my uncle came back to me, put his arm around my shoulder and asked me if I did not want to be religious. I told him that I had always had that desire, that mother had brought me up that way, and really I did not know anything else. Then he wanted to know if I had ever professed religion. I hardly understood what he meant and did not answer him. He changed his question and asked me if I had ever been to the altar for prayer, and I answered him in the negative. Then he earnestly besought me to let him take me up to the altar and join the others in being prayed for. It really embarrassed me and I hardly knew what to say to him. He spoke to me of my mother and said that when she was a little girl she went to the altar and that Christ accepted her and she had been a good Christian all these years. That touched me in a tender spot, for mother always did do what was right; and then I was far away from her and wanted to see her. Oh, if she were there to tell me what to do!

By and by I yielded to his entreaty and he led forward to the altar. The minister took me by the hand and spoke tenderly to me as I knelt at the altar. I had gone more out of sympathy than conviction, and I did not know what to do after I bowed there. The others were praying aloud and now and then one would rise shoutingly happy and make the old building ring with his glad praise. It was a novel experience to me. I did not know what to pray for, neither did I know what to expect if I did pray. I spent the most of the hour wondering why I was there and what it all meant. No one explained anything to me. Once in awhile some good old brother or sister would pass my way, strike me on the back and tell me to look up and believe and the blessing would come. But that was not encouraging to me. In fact, it sounded like nonsense and the noise was distracting me. Even in my crude way of thinking I had an idea that religion was a sensible thing and that people ought to become religious intelligently and without all that hurrah. I presume that my ideas were the result of the Presbyterian training given to me by old grandfather. By and by my knees grew tired and the skin was nearly rubbed off my elbows. I thought the service never would close, and when it did conclude with the benediction I heaved a sigh of relief. That was my first experience at the mourner's bench.

As we drove home I did not have much to say, but I listened attentively to the conversation between my uncle and his wife. They were greatly impressed with the meeting, and they spoke first of this one and that one who had "come through" and what a change it would make in the community, as many of them were bad boys. As we were putting up the team my uncle spoke very encouragingly to me; he was delighted with the step I had taken and he pleaded with me not to turn back, but to press on until I found the pearl of great price. He knew my mother would be very happy over the start I had made. Before going to sleep I fell into a train of thought, though I was tired and exhausted. I wondered why I had gone to that altar and what I had gained by it. I felt no special conviction and had received no special impression, but then if my mother had started that way there must be something in it, for she always did what was right. I silently lifted my heart to God in prayer for conviction and guidance. I knew how to pray, for I had come up through prayer, but not the mourner's bench sort. So I determined to continue to attend the meeting and keep on going to the altar until I got religion.

Early the next morning I was up and in a serious frame of mind. I went with the other hands to the cottonfield and at noon I slipped off in the barn and prayed. But the more I thought of the way those young people were moved in the meeting and with what glad hearts they had shouted their praises to God the more it puzzled and confused me. I could not feel the conviction that they had and my heart did not feel melted and tender. I was callous and unmoved in feeling and my distress on account of sin was nothing like theirs. I did not understand my own state of mind and heart. It troubled me, for by this time I really wanted to have an experience like theirs.

When evening came I was ready for Church service and was glad to go. It required no urging. Another large crowd was present and the preacher was as earnest as ever. I did not give much heed to the sermon. In fact, I do not recall a word of it. I was anxious for him to conclude and give me a chance to go to the altar. I had gotten it into my head that there was some real virtue in the mourner's bench; and when the time came I was one of the first to prostrate myself before the altar in prayer. Many others did likewise. Two or three good people at intervals knelt by me and spoke encouragingly to me, but they did not help me. Their talks were mere exhortations to earnestness and faith, but there was no explanation of faith, neither was there any light thrown upon my mind and heart. I wrought myself up into tears and cries for help, but the whole situation was dark and I hardly knew why I cried, or what was the trouble with me. Now and then others would arise from the altar in an ecstasy of joy, but there was no joy for me. When the service closed I was discouraged and felt that maybe I was too hardhearted and the good Spirit could do nothing for me.

After we went home I tossed on the bed before going to sleep and wondered why God did not do for me what he had done for mother and what he was doing in that meeting for those young people at the altar. I could not understand it. But I resolved to keep on trying, and so dropped off to sleep. The next day I had about the same experience and at night saw no change in my condition. And so for several nights I repeated the same distressing experience. The meeting took on such interest that a day service was adopted along with the night exercises, and we attended that also. And one morning while I bowed at the altar in a very disturbed state of mind Brother Tyson, a good local preacher and the father of Rev. J. F. Tyson, now of the Central Conference, sat down by me and, putting his hand on my shoulder, said to me: "Now I want you to sit up awhile and let's talk this matter over quietly. I am sure that you are in earnest, for you have been coming to this altar night after night for several days. I want to ask you a few simple questions." And the following questions were asked and answered:

"My son, do you not love God?"

"I cannot remember when I did not love him."

"Do you believe on his Son, Jesus Christ?"

"I have always believed on Christ. My mother taught me that from my earliest recollection."

"Do you accept him as your Savior?"

"I certainly do, and have always done so."

"Can you think of any sin that is between you and the Savior?"

"No, sir; for I have never committed any bad sins."

"Do you love everybody?"

"Well, I love nearly everybody, but I have no ill-will toward any one. An old man did me a wrong not long ago and I acted ugly toward him, but I do not care to injure him."

"Can you forgive him?"

"Yes, if he wanted me to."

"But, down in your heart, can you wish him well?"

"Yes, sir; I can do that."

"Well, now let me say to you that if you love God, if you accept Jesus Christ as your Savior from sin and if you love your fellowmen and intend by God's help to lead a religious life, that's all there is to religion. In fact, that is all I know about it."

Then he repeated several passages of Scriptures to me proving his assertions. I thought a moment and said to him: "But I do not feel like these young people who have been getting religion night after night. I cannot get happy like them. I do not feel like shouting."

The good man looked at me and smiled and said: "Ah, that's your trouble. You have been trying to feel like them. Now you are not them; you are yourself. You have your own quiet disposition and you are not turned like them. They are excitable and blustery like they are. They give way to their feelings. That's all right, but feeling is not religion. Religion is faith and life. If you have violent feeling with it, all good and well, but if you have faith and not much feeling, why the feeling will take care of itself. To love God and accept Jesus Christ as your Savior, turning away from all sin, and living a godly life, is the substance of true religion."

That was new to me, yet it had been my state of mind from childhood. For I remembered that away back in my early life, when the old preacher held services in my grandmother's house one day and opened the door of the Church, I went forward and gave him my hand. He was to receive me into full membership at the end of six months' probation, but he let it pass out of his mind and failed to attend to it.

As I sat there that morning listening to the earnest exhortation of the good man my tears ceased, my distress left me, light broke in upon my mind, my heart grew joyous, and before I knew just what I was doing I was going all around shaking hands with everybody, and my confusion and darkness disappeared and a great burden rolled off my spirit. I felt exactly like I did when I was a little boy around my mother's knee when she told of Jesus and God and Heaven. It made my heart thrill then, and the same old experience returned to me in that old country Church that beautiful September morning down in old North Georgia.

As we returned home the sun shone brighter, the birds sang sweeter and the autumn-time looked richer than ever before. My heart was light and my spirit buoyant. I had anchored my soul in the haven of rest, and there was not a ripple upon the current of my joy. That night there was no service and after supper I walked out under the great old pine trees and held communion with God. I thought of mother, and home, and Heaven.

I at once gave my name to the preacher for membership in the Church, and the following Sunday morning, along with many others, he received me into full membership in the Methodist Episcopal Church, South. It was one of the most delightful days in my recollection. It was the third Sunday in September, 1866, and those Church vows became a living principle in my heart and life. During these forty-five long years, with their alternations of sunshine and shadow, daylight and darkness, success and failure, rejoicing and weeping, fears within and fightings without, I have never ceased to thank God for that autumnal day in the long ago when my name was registered in the Lamb's Book of Life.

.../Quote...

Upvote 0