Visit site
✟558,852.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Oh, and if I am angry, it is because for 25 years I followed charlatans who misled me into thinking they had the "real deal" when it came to the Christian faith. I was looking for the pure water of what Christ taught to His Apostles and what I got was Protestant sewer water with a tad of perfume thrown into it to make it palatable.

Upvote 0

Light of the East

I'm Just a Singer in an OCA Choir
Site Supporter
Aug 4, 2013
Fairfax VA
Visit site
✟558,852.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
I'd suggest you pray to Jesus about your anger. Allowing it to.poison your witness is counterproductive to His kingdom.

Yeah, but I'm not angry. Just very blunt with people. When I first came into the catholic faith, I was angry and arrogant. My posts got me banned numerous times. Over the years I have lost that anger and yes, I do pray about the residuals of it, but it isn't what it used to be.

Some day, maybe a long time off, you will find out that the whole Protestant religion is heretical and a lie, and if you have any feelings about it, you will have to deal with your anger at being tricked by smooth-talking people with an agenda

Upvote 0

prodromos

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Nov 28, 2003
Sydney, Straya
✟1,180,783.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
I'd suggest you pray to Jesus about your anger. Allowing it to.poison your witness is counterproductive to His kingdom.
How different is your response to those of the LBGTQ..wxyz crowd who shut down their opponents by labeling them bigots and homophobes?

Upvote 0

Phil 1:21

Apr 3, 2017
United States
✟144,842.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Some day, maybe a long time off, you will find out that the whole Protestant religion is heretical and a lie...

I would never turn my back on the Christian faith God has led me to. I serve Him, not men who pretend to speak for Him.

Upvote 0

Apr 3, 2017
United States
✟144,842.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
How different is your response to those of the LBGTQ..wxyz crowd who shut down their opponents by labeling them bigots and homophobes?

If someone makes angry, un-Christian posts and says "if I'm angry" it's fair to suggest they pray about it...your non sequitur notwithstanding. Now if you have a problem with the LGBTQ community, perhaps you should take it up with them? :scratch:

Upvote 0

chevyontheriver

Site Supporter
Sep 29, 2015
Flyoverland
✟1,236,856.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-American-Solidarity
I didn't say the RCC, did I?

I am not RCC.....and I have nothing in common with RCC teachings.
Just out of curiosity, since your moniker indicates you are 'Ukrainian Greek Catholic', I would think you might have something in common with other Catholics. Can you clarify?

• Agree
Reactions: Tigger45
Upvote 0

prodromos

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Nov 28, 2003
Sydney, Straya
✟1,180,783.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
If someone makes angry, un-Christian posts and says "if I'm angry" it's fair to suggest they pray about it...your non sequitur notwithstanding. Now if you have a problem with the LGBTQ community, perhaps you should take it up with them? :scratch:
He hasn't made any angry, un-Christian posts though. That you perceive them to be such says more about you than him.

Upvote 0

Apr 3, 2017
United States
✟144,842.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
He hasn't made any angry, un-Christian posts though. That you perceive them to be such says more about you than him.

Actually, that you perceive them as Christ-like says more about your misconception of Christianity than anything else. It really doesn't bother me though. It's pretty typical of how some folks act toward Christ followers who put the word of God above that of men in robes who think they speak for the Lord. I thank God every day that He led me away from such nonsense.

Upvote 0

SolomonVII

Sep 4, 2003
Vancouver
✟155,006.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Greens
I think that Protestants, who believe themselves to be Christians, may find someone comparing their beliefs to sewer water served by charlatans to be a tad un-Christian.
One could only hope that there was an amount of anger involved in that post. Anger at least would be an excuse for the lack of tact involved.

But, through it all, I do see agreement here between the two people arguing. Both see the folly of following the words of religious men in their past, the former men of the Catholic persuasion, the latter men of the Protestant persuasion.

And there were the beginnings of agreement over the significance of the Temple curtain being ripped, before the knives came out.

I would have liked to have seen that progress a little further, and am curious if the symbolism of that is in any way related to perpetual virginity, or the loss thereof.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

bbbbbbb

Jun 9, 2015
✟369,197.00
Faith
Non-Denom
The very curious thing to me is that if the Perpetual Virginity of Mary is a doctrine that must absolutely and positively be embraced and believed in order to be saved, why is there not the slightest mention of it in the Bible?

To be sure, people keep poking around the Bible, finding hints and possible clues in the most amazing verses which have absolutely nothing at all to do with the doctrine.

Now, one might argue that the dogma was unknown at the time of the writing of the New Testament. Surely that is quite erroneous as the marital life (or lack thereof) of Mary and Joseph would have been widely known and preached beginning on the Day of Pentecost as part and parcel of the gospel of salvation - but there is not the slightest whisper of it in the preaching of Peter and all the others in Luke's record of the Acts of the Apostles. Why is that?

Why is it that the gospel writers (all four) made explicit references in at least five passages to the brothers and the sisters of Jesus Christ, even going so far as to name the brothers for us? Nor did they even hint that these were not the biological children of Mary and Joseph nor did they even attempt to clarify any possible future confusion the matter might cause, if, in fact, these men and women were actually not the biological children of Mary and Joseph.

The fact remains that, at the very best, there is not enough evidence to make a determination in favor of the Perpetual Virginity of Mary that would stand in any court of law.

Upvote 0

SolomonVII

Sep 4, 2003
Vancouver
✟155,006.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Greens
The very curious thing to me is that if the Perpetual Virginity of Mary is a doctrine that must absolutely and positively be embraced and believed in order to be saved, why is there not the slightest mention of it in the Bible?

To be sure, people keep poking around the Bible, finding hints and possible clues in the most amazing verses which have absolutely nothing at all to do with the doctrine.

Now, one might argue that the dogma was unknown at the time of the writing of the New Testament. Surely that is quite erroneous as the marital life (or lack thereof) of Mary and Joseph would have been widely known and preached beginning on the Day of Pentecost as part and parcel of the gospel of salvation - but there is not the slightest whisper of it in the preaching of Peter and all the others in Luke's record of the Acts of the Apostles. Why is that?

Why is it that the gospel writers (all four) made explicit references in at least five passages to the brothers and the sisters of Jesus Christ, even going so far as to name the brothers for us? Nor did they even hint that these were not the biological children of Mary and Joseph nor did they even attempt to clarify any possible future confusion the matter might cause, if, in fact, these men and women were actually not the biological children of Mary and Joseph.

The fact remains that, at the very best, there is not enough evidence to make a determination in favor of the Perpetual Virginity of Mary that would stand in any court of law.
Perpetual virginity is a doctrine without any historical basis, and that ties to traditions outside of the Bible.

Upvote 0

SolomonVII

Sep 4, 2003
Vancouver
✟155,006.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Greens
Quite true. Those traditions developed centuries after the Bible was written.
That is what I am saying. A tradition that develops years after the biography of Mary cannot be regarded as a biography of Mary based in history.

As far as Christian theology goes, the Bible is the authentic, authorized, apostolic record. Perpetual virginity of Mary developed outside of the time frame of the apostles documentation of the faith, and therefore is outside of the historical record of the apostles too.
Catholic ecclesiastical churchmen may have other reasons for averring this belief to be de fide dogma, but it must be understood that the belief falls outside of the historical record, and the apostolic record, so as such anyone who believes in it needs to understand that the de fide dogma is based in mythic theology rather than historical theology, like the dogma such as Resurrection are.

Upvote 0

kepha31

Jun 15, 2007
✟44,439.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
In Relationship
That is what I am saying. A tradition that develops years after the biography of Mary cannot be regarded as a biography of Mary based in history.
As far as Christian theology goes, the Bible is the authentic, authorized, apostolic record. Perpetual virginity of Mary developed outside of the time frame of the apostles documentation of the faith, and therefore is outside of the historical record of the apostles too.
Nothing in the Bible says every doctrine, practice and devotion must be explicitly in the Bible to be trustworthy. That is a false man made Protestant tradition.
Catholic ecclesiastical churchmen may have other reasons for averring this belief to be de fide dogma, but it must be understood that the belief falls outside of the historical record, and the apostolic record, so as such anyone who believes in it needs to understand that the de fide dogma is based in mythic theology rather than historical theology, like the dogma such as Resurrection are.
There is enough in Scripture, just not enough for your arbitrary tastes. There are also post-biblical 2nd century documents that you don't accept because they weren't written by an apostle, but you will accept liberal, modernist heresies that started <150 years ago. You may accept the councils that affirmed the Trinity (accepted by all) between the 3rd and 5th centuries, yet disregard other authorititve verdicts about Mary and whatever else.
Not the slightest mention? I've been over this with you 25 times, you just don't like my answers.
Then explain to me why Luther, Calvin, Zwingli and Bollinger all taught the PVoM, and every single Protestant church taught it until the 19th century. Then the heresy of modernism started up, and this false man made tradition has gotten worse, especially in the last 50 years. It's fad theology. I anxiously await your explanation.
Because Mary wouldn't want it any other way, and because the NT is not primarily about her. Maybe the verses would be easier to find if you would stop trying to throw her out of the Bible.
It's due to the gymnastics and abuse of the term "brother". You keep repeating the same lame arguments.
1 Corinthians 9:4-5
'Do we not have the right to take along a Christian wife, as do the rest of the apostles, AND THE BROTHERS OF THE LORD, and Kephas (i.e., Peter)?'

Since Paul is writing to Corinthians: citizens of a city in far off Greece, it is obvious that the distinguishing TITLE of 'brother' was well known to the universal Church, a Church which also knew very well what the title meant. Do you?
Bible Alone Approach to Prove that these 'brothers' and 'sisters' are NOT the children of Joseph and Mary
A non sequitur. There is far more in the Bible about Mary than there is about the non-existing, illogical, contradictory, unworkable man made tradition of sola scriptura.
Perpetual virginity is a doctrine without any historical basis, and that ties to traditions outside of the Bible.
FALSE. This proves you typically change the meaning of Tradition to make it fit your preconceptions. Tradition and Scripture cannot be separated, any more than separating a wing from a bird.
Quite true. Those traditions developed centuries after the Bible was written.
FALSE. This proves you typically change the meaning of Tradition to make it fit your preconceptions. Take an honest look at the history of the New Testament Canon. NO TRADITION, NO BIBLE.
Tradition is the authentic history of doctrine and practice, and if you think it can all fit into a book, you're kidding yourself.
That's your opinion. Since you are so big on history, where is there any Protestantism before the 15th century? It's non-existent. Based on your criteria, if the PVoM is invalid due to alleged late development, then all of Protestantism is invalid due to it's obvious late arrival.
Sheer nonsense and anti-Catholic gibberish.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Apr 3, 2017
United States
✟144,842.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

Is that seriously what the RCC teaches these days? I ask because, honestly, I never could keep track of all the things we were told we would go to hell for not believing/doing.

Upvote 0

bbbbbbb

Jun 9, 2015
✟369,197.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Is that seriously what the RCC teaches these days? I ask because, honestly, I never could keep track of all the things we were told we would go to hell for not believing/doing.

This is not new at all. In 1950 Pope Pius XII made the ex cathedra proclamation of the Four Marian doctrines as being binding dogma for all Catholics. A dogma of the Catholic Church is defined as "a truth revealed by God, which the magisterium of the Church declared as binding." IOW, if a Catholic does not embraces these dogmas as infallible truth they cannot be saved.

• Informative
Reactions: Phil 1:21
Upvote 0

kepha31

Jun 15, 2007
✟44,439.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
In Relationship
This is not new at all. In 1950 Pope Pius XII made the ex cathedra proclamation of the Four Marian doctrines as being binding dogma for all Catholics. A dogma of the Catholic Church is defined as "a truth revealed by God, which the magisterium of the Church declared as binding." IOW, if a Catholic does not embraces these dogmas as infallible truth they cannot be saved.
What has been proclaimed does not mean invented. Since you made no mention of post #415, am I to assume you will repeat the same arguments or are you accepting my answers?
To deny the Marian dogmas is to deny Jesus. Separating Jesus from his mother in these discussions is a trap.

The following is based on a chat on a blog with two Protestants (both Presbyterian, I believe, and one a pastor). It is, therefore, written in the first person. Their thoughts are paraphrased in blue.
Why Should We Believe in Mary’s Perpetual Virginity?

Upvote 0

Apr 3, 2017
United States
✟144,842.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
To deny the Marian dogmas is to deny Jesus.

What complete and utter hogwash. Belief in and devotion to our Lord and Savior is in no way contingent accepting man-made unbiblical dogmas concerning Mary. Apparently someone in Rome thinks they mended the torn curtain and embroidered their logo in the middle

Upvote 0

SolomonVII

Sep 4, 2003
Vancouver
✟155,006.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Greens
Nothing in the Bible says every doctrine, practice and devotion must be explicitly in the Bible to be trustworthy. That is a false man made Protestant tradition.
To be clear , my commentary was in no way promoting or criticizing any Protestant methodologies. Strictly on the level of the historical record, this is not a claim based in history.

Assume, for example, a counterfactual in which no claims were made by anybody that the Resurrection was literal. Then a century or so after all the eyewitnesses were dead, people started believing in the Resurrection. Well, unless there was some previously unknown historical discovery, or a current event compelling such a belief long after the fact, then we as Christians could no longer make the claim that the Resurrection is based in compelling historical evidence. We may still believe or disbelieve for other reasons, but our belief is no longer based in the historical record.
And of course we do make that claim of the Resurrection being an historical event, because the eyewitness accounts are all there, and have been there from the beginning.

Now if the apostles or others who knew Mary were to make the claim about her virginity, then at least the theology would be based in history. As it is, it is not, and the Church never even makes the claim that it is based in history.

There is enough in Scripture, just not enough for your arbitrary tastes. There are also post-biblical 2nd century documents that you don't accept because they weren't written by an apostle, but you will accept liberal, modernist heresies that started <150 years ago. You may accept the councils that affirmed the Trinity (accepted by all) between the 3rd and 5th centuries, yet disregard other authorititve verdicts about Mary and whatever else.
You make assumptions about me that are not in evidence.

Whether or not I accept other documents as true, what I don't accept is stating that documents that are not apostolic are in fact apostolic.
The reason for that ought to be obvious.

It is clear to me that statements on Trinity are based in the Bibilical narrative and what it reveals about God. I could make the argument that Trinity is based in the Bible.
As for Scriptural claims for the Perpetual Vriginity of Mary, you claim that there are Biblical assertions of this, but you make no attempt to demonstrate what they are.
Therefore, your contention can be safely disregarded as unverified at this point in the conversation.
"Kepha says so, therefore it is must be true" is generally a bad form for an argument to take in these forums.

Reactions: Phil 1:21
Upvote 0