United States
✟122,284.00
Country
United States
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Single
So, in other words, caring for her would fall to someone like me, right?
Perhaps not on an individual level, but when it comes to policy and supporting her as a society, yes. Too often, it seems, the conservative right rails against these women while also cutting funding to programs that would keep them from feeling like an abortion is the best option. It doesn't make sense to blame a woman for having an abortion if there are no other reasonable options.

Upvote 0

TheBarrd

Teller of tales, writer of poems, singer of songs
Mar 1, 2015
Following a Jewish Carpenter
✟14,094.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Perhaps not on an individual level, but when it comes to policy and supporting her as a society, yes. Too often, it seems, the conservative right rails against these women while also cutting funding to programs that would keep them from feeling like an abortion is the best option. It doesn't make sense to blame a woman for having an abortion if there are no other reasonable options.
That is the first good point I've heard from the pro choice crowd. Of course, you are quite right.
Funding is getting harder and harder to find, and I very greatly fear that the battle for life is rapidly becoming a lost cause.

Upvote 0

Cearbhall

May 10, 2013
United States
✟122,284.00
Country
United States
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Single
That is the first good point I've heard from the pro choice crowd. Of course, you are quite right.
It's a main point, so I do wonder what you've been reading. Pregnancy and childbirth simply aren't reasonable choices for every woman in every moment of her fertile life, especially in a capitalist society.
Funding is getting harder and harder to find, and I very greatly fear that the battle for life is rapidly becoming a lost cause.
That's not to say that I would want it to be criminalized even if we lived in a utopia where carrying to term was completely affordable and convenient. I don't think that a woman should have to justify her reasons to anyone. "Safe, legal, and rare."

Upvote 0

TillICollapse

Dec 12, 2013
✟14,082.00
Marital Status
Single
Seriously. I take things very literally, and if I am not paying attention subtleties like that go right on by me...

I like it, though. For me, I went for a regular-name-type username, so it doesn't read so awkward when that condescending religionist starts in on me with his "Ya know, Davian, if you would assume that I am right about everything..."
I actually caught it the first time I saw his username because I'm somewhat the opposite: I look to see if someone is trying to sneak something passed me first before I take them literally lol. I felt a little bad about "exposing the secret" to TheBarrd, since it's not my own username to explain to someone, but you know irony and all :)

The week I signed up on CF and chose my own username, there was an Eminem song I was into. Thus, the partial inspiration for my own username ...

Upvote 0

Eyes wide Open

Love and peace is the ONLY foundation-to build....
Dec 13, 2011
Australia
✟34,910.00
Faith
No, I just don't believe in objective morality. Or souls, or Hell, or anything that would make abortion obviously problematic. Nothing to do with being PC. My moral system tends to reflect social contract theory, and under this theory I see zero reason to protect a fetus against a pregnant woman's will. Some people who subscribe to this theory disagree, but I have given it a lot of thought.

Interesting that some 73% of women that have abortions in the U.S declare themselves as Christians.

Upvote 0

Archaeopteryx

Wanderer
Jul 1, 2007
✟70,740.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
Yes, you are right...when a young woman comes to me after she's had an abortion, and she tells me how horrible her experience was, and how she is having trouble coming to grips with what she has done...when she speaks to me of thoughts of suicide, of feeling guilty, of feeling worthless, of feeling used and no good to anyone...yes, I "take it on faith" that she is telling me the truth.
And I do my level best to give her the love and the counseling that she so desperately needs.
What does this counselling consist in? You have repeatedly evaded this question, yet it is one of the most important questions asked of you. If you are untrained and unqualified, then despite your best intentions you may not be in the best position to offer assistance, and given your very clear bias, you may even inadvertently make matters worse. The people you are counselling need and deserve proper help, and it's not clear whether you're the person to provide it.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Cearbhall

May 10, 2013
United States
✟122,284.00
Country
United States
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Single
What does this counselling consist in? You have repeatedly evaded this question, yet it is one of the most important questions asked of you. If you are untrained and unqualified, then despite your best intentions you may not be in the best position to offer assistance, and given your very clear bias, you may even inadvertently make matters worse. The people you are counselling need and deserve proper help, and it's not clear whether you're the person to provide it.
There are indeed some crisis pregnancy centers and other organizations that are just as biased in their counselling as the corrupt employees in the articles that she posted about Planned Parenthood, not to mention unqualified, but I try not to assume that this is the case when someone says that this is their line of work. There are many people who do a world of good and try to offer women the option of carrying to term without pressuring them, which in my opinion is just as important as providing them with the option of an abortion.

Upvote 0

TheBarrd

Mar 1, 2015
✟14,094.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
None of my business.
I can understand that, as an atheist, you would not consider it any of your business that Christian women are having abortions.
Hopefully, you can understand that, as a Christian who is concerned for these women, I feel that it is my business.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Cearbhall

May 10, 2013
United States
✟122,284.00
Country
United States
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Single
Hopefully, you can understand that, as a Christian who is concerned for these women, I feel that it is my business.
I understand, but I disagree that it's any of your business unless they are seeking other options.

Upvote 0

TheBarrd

Mar 1, 2015
✟14,094.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
I actually caught it the first time I saw his username because I'm somewhat the opposite: I look to see if someone is trying to sneak something passed me first before I take them literally lol. I felt a little bad about "exposing the secret" to TheBarrd, since it's not my own username to explain to someone, but you know irony and all :)

The week I signed up on CF and chose my own username, there was an Eminem song I was into. Thus, the partial inspiration for my own username ...

I suppose I am far to naïve to catch such subtleties. I'm not looking for subtle little tricks.
So don't feel too badly, Hun...you even after you tried to explain it to me, it still took me several days to catch it.
Once I did see it, I'm afraid I was a bit disappointed. "Anatheist"? THAT'S the big secret?

But you know what, I kinda like me just the way I am. A very wise man told me a long time ago...people tend to judge one another by their own standards. Someone who sees other people as being dishonest...that person is dishonest.
So maybe I am too trusting...believing what I am told.
All that says about me is that I can be trusted.
After nearly 65 years on this wicked old planet, I still believe in the beauty of love...and the sanctity of life.
I'm still the little girl, hiding in her grandmama's garden, hoping to catch a glimpse of the fairies that lived in the flowers. She had told me that fairies lived in those flowers, and if I picked them, the fairies would die...and I believed her...

Upvote 0

TillICollapse

Dec 12, 2013
✟14,082.00
Marital Status
Single
Thank you.
I feel a little less like an idiot, knowing I wasn't the only one...:relieved:
That's why I said I wouldn't laugh at you for such a thing. Not everyone sees things the same way, for a variety of reasons.

And when someone sees something differently, it's not always about them being either intelligent or an idiot, a saint or a monster, a sharpened tool in the shed or a fool.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

TheBarrd

Mar 1, 2015
✟14,094.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
That's why I said I wouldn't laugh at you for such a thing. Not everyone sees things the same way, for a variety of reasons.

And when someone sees something differently, it's not always about them being either intelligent or an idiot, a saint or a monster, a sharpened tool in the shed or a fool.

Perhaps not always...

Upvote 0

TheBarrd

Mar 1, 2015
✟14,094.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
QUESTIONS (on the issue of abortion)
Where are the children? Where have they gone?
I know it hasn't been so long...
They were all here, with smiling faces.
All of the children in their places.
Where are the mothers? Their children are dying!
Where are the mothers? I can't hear them crying!
Where are the fathers? Where can they be?
Why aren't they listening, why don't they see?
Their babies are murdered before their eyes!
Could they be listening to Satan's lies?
Could they be victims of his deception?
"Not a child, a 'product of conception'.
You have no responsibility.
It is not murder. You'll be free."
Where is God? Where is the Holy One?
Is He watching from His Throne?
Does He hear us when we lift our voice,
In the name of "Personal Choice"?
Will He count us guilty of this sin?

Does the blood of the children cry out to Him?

TheBarrd

Upvote 0

Eyes wide Open

Love and peace is the ONLY foundation-to build....
Dec 13, 2011
Australia
✟34,910.00
Faith
None of my business.

Of course, as I said before I support a women's right, that includes a right to privacy on the matter. That said I'm interested in people's motivations to do certain things, and think certain ways.

Upvote 0

Cearbhall

May 10, 2013
United States
✟122,284.00
Country
United States
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Single
Of course, as I said before I support a women's right, that includes a right to privacy on the matter. That said I'm interested in people's motivations to do certain things, and think certain ways.
Ah, my apologies. It is interesting.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.