Feb 15, 2013
✟48,157.00
Country
United States
Faith
Reformed
Marital Status
Married
Many intellectuals of yesteryear used to predict that as western culture became more educated and more intelligent that religion would die off - especially Christianity. The assumption was that there were religious people because of a lack of education and low intelligence.

But they were wrong. All of these predictions have always been wrong.

There are equally brilliant, educated, and intelligent people who are both atheists and religious. The difference doesn't seem to be one of education or intelligence. So what is the difference?

Why are there religious people? Christianity has an answer, but what's the secular answer?

Tree of Life

Hide The Pain
Feb 15, 2013
✟48,157.00
Country
United States
Faith
Reformed
Marital Status
Married
Nones would be the skeptics, deists, and atheists. But I guess I equated them all as atheism but it's not too far a shot down the hall.

Are you sure about that? I say that the "nones" are probably a bunch of moralistic, therapeutic, deists. But who knows?

And who said religious lack intelligence and education? I just say they deny reality.

So religious people are in denial? Why are they in denial? Not a lack of education? Maybe a lack of courage? Are atheists simply more courageous? Is that the difference?

Upvote 0

GrimKingGrim

The Thin Dead Line of sanity
Apr 13, 2015
Isle of Who?
✟10,468.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
So religious people are in denial?

Yes

Why are they in denial?

They don't want to admit that "what you see is what you get" applies to reality.

Not a lack of education?

No correlation.

Maybe a lack of courage?

Other than a fear of being dead, no correlation.

Are atheists simply more courageous? Is that the difference?

Nope. Just accepting that we only have one life and wasting it is a shame

Upvote 0

GrimKingGrim

Apr 13, 2015
Isle of Who?
✟10,468.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Ok so you don't have an answer. Anyone else?

Oh so you didn't understand that. Fine. Lemme see if I can explain this.

We see a hurricane and hope that people survived.

Religious folk see a hurricane and thank god for showing favor on those who survived.

Same world. Different lens.

I would consider it a delusion.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Ana the Ist

Aggressively serene!
Feb 21, 2012
✟437,179.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
Many intellectuals of yesteryear used to predict that as western culture became more educated and more intelligent that religion would die off - especially Christianity. The assumption was that there were religious people because of a lack of education and low intelligence.

But they were wrong. All of these predictions have always been wrong.

There are equally brilliant, educated, and intelligent people who are both atheists and religious. The difference doesn't seem to be one of education or intelligence. So what is the difference?

Why are there religious people? Christianity has an answer, but what's the secular answer?

Well, there is this...

Religious People Branded As Less Intelligent Than Atheists In Provocative New Study

Just because there's a link between atheism and higher intelligence doesn't mean that one causes the other though. Regarding your question, I happen to think that religion exists for several reasons. High on that list of reasons would be indoctrination and a self-perpetuating methodology.

Upvote 0

Tree of Life

Hide The Pain
Feb 15, 2013
✟48,157.00
Country
United States
Faith
Reformed
Marital Status
Married
Oh so you didn't understand that. Fine. Lemme see if I can explain this.

We see a hurricane and hope that people survived.

Religious folk see a hurricane and thank god for showing favor on those who survived.

Same world. Different lens.

I would consider it a delusion.

Still not hearing an answer.

Upvote 0

FireDragon76

Site Supporter
Apr 30, 2013
Orlando, Florida
✟1,260,418.00
Country
United States
Faith
United Ch. of Christ
Politics
US-Democrat
Nones would be the skeptics, deists, and atheists.

I think the real issue is not that nones are the most critical thinkers, so much that Christianity has been politicized in the last 40 years. It's a cultural thing, and people that have grown up in a culture hostile to Christianity are likely to view it negatively, especially when some Christians take a defensive approach.

The growth in New Age, Buddhism, alternative spirituality disproves that people are becoming less spiritual or more skeptical. Paganism is one of the fastest growing religions in the US.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

GrimKingGrim

Apr 13, 2015
Isle of Who?
✟10,468.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Still not hearing an answer.

Surprised that I just need to literally say it. The reason Atheists are able to accept reality much more than a religious person is because we're not confused on the cause of everything happening. We don't first try to determine if the cause of anything was first supernatural or not because the supernatural to us is just implausible. So in turn we are able to accept reality for what it is and are not confused on what it is.

Upvote 0

Tree of Life

Hide The Pain
Feb 15, 2013
✟48,157.00
Country
United States
Faith
Reformed
Marital Status
Married
Surprised that I just need to literally say it. The reason Atheists are able to accept reality much more than a religious person is because we're not confused on the cause of everything happening. We don't first try to determine if the cause of anything was first supernatural or not because the supernatural to us is just implausible. So in turn we are able to accept reality for what it is and are not confused on what it is.

All I'm hearing is that "atheists are atheists because they're atheists." Is that a fair assessment?

Upvote 0

Ana the Ist

Aggressively serene!
Feb 21, 2012
✟437,179.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
Ok, so it mainly has to do with parenting?

Not entirely... but that's one factor...

It would certainly help if you chose a specific religion to talk about here. Different religions perpetuate themselves through different methods. Many of them have much in common...but as soon as I get too specific about one you'll be able to point to another which may not apply to the point I was making.

You don't need a specific denomination... just pick a religion.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.