• Welcome to Christian Forums
  1. Welcome to Christian Forums, a forum to discuss Christianity in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

2. The forums in the Christian Congregations category are now open only to Christian members. Please review our current Faith Groups list for information on which faith groups are considered to be Christian faiths. Christian members please remember to read the Statement of Purpose threads for each forum within Christian Congregations before posting in the forum.
  3. Please note there is a new rule regarding the posting of videos. It reads, "Post a summary of the videos you post . An exception can be made for music videos.". Unless you are simply sharing music, please post a summary, or the gist, of the video you wish to share.
  4. There have been some changes in the Life Stages section involving the following forums: Roaring 20s, Terrific Thirties, Fabulous Forties, and Golden Eagles. They are changed to Gen Z, Millennials, Gen X, and Golden Eagles will have a slight change.
  5. CF Staff, Angels and Ambassadors; ask that you join us in praying for the world in this difficult time, asking our Holy Father to stop the spread of the virus, and for healing of all affected.
  6. We are no longer allowing posts or threads that deny the existence of Covid-19. Members have lost loved ones to this virus and are grieving. As a Christian site, we do not need to add to the pain of the loss by allowing posts that deny the existence of the virus that killed their loved one. Future post denying the Covid-19 existence, calling it a hoax, will be addressed via the warning system.

Why are the bishops silent?

Discussion in 'The Ancient Way - Eastern Orthodox' started by rusmeister, Jun 26, 2019.

1. gzt

gzt The age of the Earth is 4.54 ± 0.07 billion years

+1,692
    United States
    Eastern Orthodox
    Private
    St Augustine talks about it in City of God, how there would be sex, but controlled by the rational will, and that concupiscence is a consequence of the fall.

• Informative Informative x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • List
  2. ArmyMatt

ArmyMatt Regular Member Supporter

+15,229
    United States
    Eastern Orthodox
    Married
    thanks, I will have a look. where in St Jerome?

3. Ioustinos

Ioustinos Veteran

+156
    Eastern Orthodox
    Private
    US-Libertarian
    I honestly cringe inside when people describe themselves as theologians who are merely academics. I understand it is common usage in today's era to refer to someone as a theologian who studies about God. But like you said, a true theologian is one who knows God and not one who studies about God.

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 3
    • List
  4. archer75

archer75 Well-Known Member Supporter

+4,188
    United States
    Eastern Orthodox
    Married
    I'm not a DBH fan, but some kinds of knowledge are worthwhile even if their possessors aren't theologians in the proper sense.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  5. Andrei D

Andrei D Active Member

+401
    United States
    Eastern Orthodox
    Married
    Uhmm.. eh... this is called concern trolling and it is the method of choice by which many a subculture and organization has been brought to its knees by progressives.

This is not paranoia. If you have been bubble wrapped for the past 10 years and haven't noticed what is going on, I'm sorry. What the past few years taught me is that slippery slope is no longer a fallacy but a reasonable expectation.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • List
  6. ArmyMatt

+15,229
    United States
    Eastern Orthodox
    Married
    to be sure. someone like psychologist Dn Stephen Muse, PhD is in my opinion what an Orthodox academic should be. he has a vast knowledge of science, but struggles to submit his intellectual gifts to illumination.

• Like Like x 1
    • List
  7. archer75

archer75 Well-Known Member Supporter

+4,188
    United States
    Eastern Orthodox
    Married
    Sorry, what is this in reference to?

8. gzt

gzt The age of the Earth is 4.54 ± 0.07 billion years

+1,692
    United States
    Eastern Orthodox
    Private
    St Jerome wrote a called Against Jovinian or Jovinianus or something like that - St Augustine also wrote against that guy but didn't name him, I forget the work, but their approaches contrast.

• Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
    • List
  9. Andrei D

Andrei D Active Member

+401
    United States
    Eastern Orthodox
    Married
    Sorry for being unclear, but if you think you fit the bill you might just... NO... kidding! Not even remotely thinking about anyone here.

Sorry for being unclear - I meant the protodeacon who wrote that piece, and I really do feel that way - I think that if OCA doesn't publicly rebuke this kind of clergy we are in trouble. I thought I hit reply on the post about his article.

Byzantine, Texas: Protodeacon Theodore Feldman boldly spouts nonsense

• Like Like x 1
    • List
  10. rusmeister

rusmeister A Russified American Orthodox Chestertonian

+3,304
    Eastern Orthodox
    Married
    And thus my thread - that the OCA is not instantly rebuking, correcting, and defrocking these people. And it looks like they have no plans to do so at all.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
    • List
  11. ArmyMatt

+15,229
    United States
    Eastern Orthodox
    Married
    thanks, I will have a look

12. Jude1:3Contendforthefaith

Jude1:3Contendforthefaith Well-Known Member Supporter

+2,674
    United States
    Eastern Orthodox
    Private
    “The floor of hell is paved with the skulls of bishops.”
    • St. Athanasius of Alexandria , Council of Nicaea, (325 A.D.)

13. Ioustinos

Ioustinos Veteran

+156
    Eastern Orthodox
    Private
    US-Libertarian
    I'm not saying that what he has to say, or anyone who studies and writes on the topic, isn't worthwhile. Of course it is. What I struggle with is the term "theologian". How that term is understood within the Church is different than how it is understood in an academic setting.

14. JasonV

JasonV Member

+82
    United States
    Eastern Orthodox
    Private
  15. SingularityOne

SingularityOne Well-Known Member Supporter

+551
    United States
    Eastern Orthodox
    Single
    A theologian is one who prays. Who are the Theologians in our Church?

16. rusmeister

+3,304
    Eastern Orthodox
    Married
  17. ArmyMatt

+15,229
    United States
    Eastern Orthodox
    Married
    the saints

18. ArmyMatt

+15,229
    United States
    Eastern Orthodox
    Married
    yeah, I know one of the OCA priests who put this together who is really hitting hard that this has to be addressed. the pro-LGBTQIA folks have become way too emboldened (not that they weren't before, only now it's gotten worse).

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • List
  19. rusmeister

+3,304
    Eastern Orthodox
    Married
    We are under no obligation to grant evil any of their lying self-identifications. They are NOT "gay", the rainbow does NOT belong to them, they are NOT "LGBT", etc. They are perverted in the literal Latin sense, their desires turned away from their proper objects (as all of our passions are). I respond to "LGBTQAIPBN etc" by calling it "the alphabet soup". The number of letters would have to encompass every imaginable passion in the end.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Winner Winner x 2
    • List
  20. JasonV

JasonV Member

+82
    United States
    Eastern Orthodox
    Private
    I'm still waiting for your article about newspeak such as you discussed in "Gay Friend -What should I do?" thread. If you haven't seriously considered writing something up, please consider it. Orthodoxy needs an article like that.