Why are some Christians desiring to stay single?

Sir Robbins

Waiting for Fall
Sep 28, 2012
Saint Augustine, FL
✟52,747.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Celibate
Politics
US-Libertarian
I deleted the message I'm sorry. I realised it wasn't thorough enough and I thought 2 minutes would be quick enough that I could delete it and respond better but apparently you have the eyes of a hawk haha. That's horrible that people say that to you, especially given that both our Saviour and at least one of the Apostles was confirmed to be childless (Paul). Regardless, I'll start with the verse:

"God blessed them; and God said to them, “Be fruitful and multiply, and fill the earth, and subdue it; and rule over the fish of the sea and over the birds of the sky and over every living thing that moves on the earth.” (Genesis 1:28)

When Christ lived, suffered, died, rose and ascended for us He fulfilled so many portions of Scripture and transformed the way we approach it (obviously because He changed the way we approach Him). One of the main reasons I believe that Christ fulfilled this command and superseded it is because He fulfilled "In you all the families of the earth will be blessed.” (Gen 12:3, Gal 3:8). That through Christ the earth is filled not just with man but with children of God. It's not only fulfilling the first command of Adam, but is taking it to a more extreme degree and filling the earth with the "new creation" humans. You will notice too that not only the multiplying has been fulfilled in Christ but also the rest of the verse which has to do with ruling over Creation.

Another counter to essentially calling celibacy a sin is that in 1 Thess 2:15 Paul says "So then, brethren, stand firm and hold to the traditions which you were taught, whether by word of mouth or by letter from us." (which by the way means all Scripture is still applicable & true; e.g., God's command in Genesis 1:28 being a basis for calling marriage good) and that this is the same Apostle that said "Yet I wish that all men were even as I myself am. However, each man has his own gift from God, one in this manner, and another in that. But I say to the unmarried and to widows that it is good for them if they remain even as I." (1 Cor 7:7-8). Just because Paul wrote this to the Corinthians doesn't mean that this isn't still applicable to us, especially if it was given from God (as I demonstrated in my first comment with 1 Corinthians 14:37).
This makes much more sense and some of my suspicion was rooted in this answer. Your first response did puzzle me and glad you clarified.

Upvote 0