Why are so many against reformed theology?

Ceallaigh

May God be with you and bless you.
Site Supporter
Oct 2, 2020
✟608,457.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
My point being that some who make such a big deal about their closely following the written word of the Bible, in all actuality, follow it very little.
But it's still important to know what the Bible says and weigh that against doctrines. Sound doctrine is in harmony with scripture. Unsound doctrine doesn't really have scriptural backing, and a lot of eisegesis combined with lengthy mental acrobatics and quoting extrabiblical sources is used in an attempt to legitimize it.

Upvote 0

Akita Suggagaki

Jul 20, 2018
Midwest
✟283,624.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
But it's still important to know what the Bible says and weigh that against doctrines. Sound doctrine is in harmony with scripture. Unsound doctrine doesn't really have scriptural backing, and a lot of eisegesis combined with lengthy mental acrobatics and quoting extrabiblical sources is used in an attempt to legitimize it.
And "sound doctrine" pales in comparison to sound praxis. People seem to love arguing about doctrine while not so concerned about their own behavior. We certainly see that on this forum. Don't we?

Reactions: FenderTL5
Upvote 0

Ceallaigh

Site Supporter
Oct 2, 2020
✟608,457.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
And "sound doctrine" pales in comparison to sound praxis. People seem to love arguing about doctrine while not so concerned about their own behavior. We certainly see that on this forum. Don't we?
That's pretty vague, could you elaborate on the type of behaviour exhibited by CF members you're referring to?

Upvote 0

Fervent

Sep 22, 2020
San jacinto
✟129,042.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
My point being that some who make such a big deal about their closely following the written word of the Bible, in all actuality, follow it very little.
I'm not sure that's a compelling argument for watering down the Bible and treating it as a purely human document. What it presents is an ideal, that we all fall short of. Cheapening the ideal to be attainable doesn't honor the document or its Author.

Upvote 0

Fervent

Sep 22, 2020
San jacinto
✟129,042.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Without sound doctrine, what constitutes sound praxis is wide open and subject to being little more than whatever the dominant cultural values are dressed up in sacred clothing. One of the biggest issues with the reformed tradition, for example, is not so much the doctrines themselves but the divorce between a skeletal academic theology and practical living. But what you seem to be proposing is essentially throwing the baby out with the bath water.

Upvote 0

bling

Site Supporter
Feb 27, 2008
✟826,432.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Over 50 years of Christianity. Including over 50 years of John MacArthur for what it's worth.

There's no such thing as a Christian that has not been predestined by God... Is the objection to the doctrine.

Even if I was a firm believer in this doctrine, I'd still acknowledge the problems others see in it, the way RC Sproul did in the first video you posted. Most of Christianity believes that anyone and everyone can come to Christ and become a Christian. That anyone and everyone who hears the Gospel is capable of making the choice to either accept it or reject it.

Predestination cancels out all of that. Predestination says you don't have a choice. Predestination says no one can be saved that wasn't already chosen to be saved ahead of time. Which makes evangelism pointless. It makes praying that a loved one will come to know Christ, become a Christian and be saved pointless. Because if they are predestined they will be saved no matter what, and if they're not predestined they are going to Hell no matter what.

I think if you're going to start a thread like this you should be aware of why so many are against reformed theology and deal with those objections head on yourself, instead of referring people to RC Sproul videos. I mean are you able to reason out this doctrine on your own, or are you dependant on what RC Sproul says about it?
You might want to read my post 68.

God could have predestined from the beginning of time to save all those who will accept His charity, so those who accept are predestined to be saved.
Also do you see God being outside of time or is God limited by time?

Upvote 0

Akita Suggagaki

Jul 20, 2018
Midwest
✟283,624.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Without sound doctrine, what constitutes sound praxis is wide open and subject to being little more than whatever the dominant cultural values are dressed up in sacred clothing. One of the biggest issues with the reformed tradition, for example, is not so much the doctrines themselves but the divorce between a skeletal academic theology and practical living. But what you seem to be proposing is essentially throwing the baby out with the bath water.
That is not my intent. But I do think it would be better if we could be more humble with the doctrines we argue. And where do we draw the line when Jesus tells us to cut off our hands? Or pick up snakes?

I think it would be better to focus on the marrow of the gospel and live it before arguing theology. Predestination is an excellent example.

Last edited:
Reactions: Fervent
Upvote 0

Fervent

Sep 22, 2020
San jacinto
✟129,042.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
That is not my intent. But I do think it would be better if we could be more humble with the doctrines we argue. And where do we craw the line when Jesus tells us to cut off our hands? Or pick up snakes?

I think it would be better to focus on the marrow of the gospel and live it before arguing theology. Predestination is an excellent example.
I agree as far as arguing over trifles, but the problem isn't with a literal appoach to the Bible. The problem is the artificial division between theology and practical living, the false separation of the religious and the secular. Ultimately, everything boils down to theology so it must be a high priority, but as with anything human foibles get in the way more often than not. The heart of the problem is pride, especially for those with well-defined and formulated systematic theologies. Everything in the Bible is indispensable to the gospel in some way, otherwise God wouldn't have put it in there. Even knowing what the marrow of the gospel is requires being well grounded in theology, because the gospel is who God is.

Upvote 0

Ceallaigh

Site Supporter
Oct 2, 2020
✟608,457.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
You might want to read my post 68.

God could have predestined from the beginning of time to save all those who will accept His charity, so those who accept are predestined to be saved.
Also do you see God being outside of time or is God limited by time?
There is the situation of God knowing from the beginning who would turn to him and who would turn away. That's inarguable considering the omniscience of God. However unlike predestination that doesn't cancel out free will.

Upvote 0

Ceallaigh

Site Supporter
Oct 2, 2020
✟608,457.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
That is not my intent. But I do think it would be better if we could be more humble with the doctrines we argue. And where do we craw the line when Jesus tells us to cut off our hands? Or pick up snakes?

Why are you going on the presumption that those who discuss doctrine and theology are reprobates who aren't actually practicing Christianity?

Last edited:
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

bling

Site Supporter
Feb 27, 2008
✟826,432.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
There is the situation of God knowing from the beginning who would turn to him and who would turn away. That's inarguable considering the omniscience of God. However unlike predestination that doesn't cancel out free will.
I have been in this discussion many times.
God is not limited by time and we experimentally have shown over the last 100 years; time is relative.

Think about this: If I know perfectly a truly free will choice you made yesterday that choice is fixed and cannot be changed since it is history. The fact I know your free will choice of yesterday, does not keep it from being a free will choice.

History cannot be changed even if God was the only one to knew about something that has happened, since it still happened it is history. Since God does everything right perfectly the first time, there is no reason to do it over again.

God is outside of time and omnipresent throughout time, so God at the end of time knows everything historically that has happened throughout time, making it unchangeable (fixed). Yet again just because God at the end of time knows all things that happened throughout time perfectly, does not mean human autonomous free will choices could not have been made.

God’s actions are also fixed and can be called foreordained or predestined.

God did not present this miraculous method of “how” He knows the future, but that is not unusual while communicating to man from man’s perspective is also God’s way.

There are other ways God can know stuff, but He is outside of time, so He also knows everything historically throughout time?

God is very much interacting with humans, and He does the absolute best thing, so there is no reason for a do over.

Jesus knew when He was teaching His disciple, what He would be going through on the cross as pure history, but that does not mean He was on the cross constantly.

Upvote 0

Akita Suggagaki

Jul 20, 2018
Midwest
✟283,624.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Why are you going on the presumption that those who discuss doctrine and theology are reprobates who aren't actually practicing Christianity?
Not reprobates, exactly. When I see all these thread about interpretations, beliefs and doctrinal arguments I am hoping that people have experienced conversion and transformation which are very humbling. It is too easy to become argumentative and focused on "proving my point, my view the only right view".

The important issues are, "I was hungry, and you fed me. I was thirsty, and you gave me a drink. I was a stranger, and you invited me into your home. I was naked, and you gave me clothing. I was sick, and you cared for me. I was in prison, and you visited me."

Upvote 0

Ceallaigh

Site Supporter
Oct 2, 2020
✟608,457.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Not reprobates, exactly. When I see all these thread about interpretations, beliefs and doctrinal arguments I am hoping that people have experienced conversion and transformation which are very humbling. It is too easy to become argumentative and focused on "proving my point, my view the only right view".

The important issues are, "I was hungry, and you fed me. I was thirsty, and you gave me a drink. I was a stranger, and you invited me into your home. I was naked, and you gave me clothing. I was sick, and you cared for me. I was in prison, and you visited me."
It sounds like you're here to tell everyone how wrong it is for them to be here. Do you think CF should shut down the theology sections etc and only have a discussion forum about charity?

Upvote 0

Akita Suggagaki

Jul 20, 2018
Midwest
✟283,624.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
As opposed to viewing it as writings from the perspective of men in their own times and understanding.
Viewing it less as God's dictated verbatim and more as theological reflection of a particular time, place and culture.
Maybe I should go back to this earlier statement. I agree we must start someplace, on some foundation and the Bible is an excellent source.

BUT, it can also be quite problematic precisely because it is strongly influenced by the perspective of men in their own times, cultures and understanding. That must always be taken into account as best we can. Thus I value modern forms of scripture analysis commonly referred to as "criticism" which many cannot tolerate. But then then question: does it all become relative, personal smorgasbord? No, but it does require a deeper look and reflection, possibly even research and prayer to come away with reasonable "theology" that makes sense in our own time, with what we know of the universe now. It must correspond to our lived reality or it is in danger of becoming fantasy. I guess that is where we draw a line in the sand. Some will stick with flat earth and solid dome in the sky.

Upvote 0

Fervent

Sep 22, 2020
San jacinto
✟129,042.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Maybe I should go back to this earlier statement. I agree we must start someplace, on some foundation and the Bible is an excellent source.

BUT, it can also be quite problematic precisely because it is strongly influenced by the perspective of men in their own times, cultures and understanding. That must always be taken into account as best we can. Thus I value modern forms of scripture analysis commonly referred to as "criticism" which many cannot tolerate. But then then question: does it all become relative, personal smorgasbord? No, but it does require a deeper look and reflection, possibly even research and prayer to come away with reasonable "theology" that makes sense in our own time, with what we know of the universe now. It must correspond to our lived reality or it is in danger of becoming fantasy. I guess that is where we draw a line in the sand. Some will stick with flat earth and solid dome in the sky.
One of the biggest problems today is people know so much that isn't so. The modern paradigm for knowledge begins with a world without God, and so it is built on false foundations. Is there room for "criticism" of the Bible? Possibly, but not if the authority of the Bible is undermined by that criticism which doesn't provide much room for it. That doesn't mean we should treat the Bible like something it never has been as a dictated document with no impact from its human authors, but those types of considerations must always simply inform exegesis and not be put in the drivers seat. It's a balancing act, but believing in God is necessarily going to lead to opposition in knowledge between those who start with a world without God and those who trust God as their foundation.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Akita Suggagaki

Jul 20, 2018
Midwest
✟283,624.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
One of the biggest problems today is people know so much that isn't so. The modern paradigm for knowledge begins with a world without God, and so it is built on false foundations. Is there room for "criticism" of the Bible? Possibly, but not if the authority of the Bible is undermined by that criticism which doesn't provide much room for it. That doesn't mean we should treat the Bible like something it never has been as a dictated document with no impact from its human authors, but those types of considerations must always simply inform exegesis and not be put in the drivers seat. It's a balancing act, but believing in God is necessarily going to lead to opposition in knowledge between those who start with a world without God and those who trust God as their foundation.
I can agree with that. We all have a starting point. And hopefully our theology can move on as we grow spiritually and intellectually. Sometimes what we learn threatens our theology. And we have a choice. We must decide what we can reinterpret, what we can adapt, and what will remain unassailable. It seems this is where we all often part ways. But the most important thing is how it is reflected in our lived daily life.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Ceallaigh

Site Supporter
Oct 2, 2020
✟608,457.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I can see how that could be applied to a debate regarding creationism vs evolution, but don't see how it applies to discussions about soteriology and the nature of God.

Upvote 0

Fervent

Sep 22, 2020
San jacinto
✟129,042.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I can see how that could be applied to a debate regarding creationism vs evolution, but don't see how it applies to discussions about soteriology and the nature of God.
The most pertinent I see would be ethical presuppositions and what is informing them. For soteriology, that has a lot to do with what we need saving from.

Upvote 0