Why are Manger scenes not graven images?

Status
Not open for further replies.

christianmomof3

pursuing Christ
Apr 12, 2005
in Christ
✟25,915.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Please explain what you mean about "removing the stumbling block". I think you mean, remove the statues from our homes and churches but am not fully sure you do. Please make it a little clearer to me so I might comment.
I cannot speak for my brother, but these are the verses he may be referring to.
ROM 14:12 So then each one of us shall give account of himself to God.
ROM 14:13 Therefore let us judge one another no longer ,but rather judge this: not to put a stumbling block or cause of falling before your brother

ROM 14:21 It is good not to eat meat, nor to drink wine, nor `to do anything' by which your brother stumbles.
1 Cor 8:9 But take heed lest by any means this liberty of your's become a stumblingblock to them that are weak.

Upvote 0

Rick Otto

The Dude Abides
Nov 19, 2002
On The Prairie
✟29,593.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
but I know that can be overdone & lead to the captivity of "walking on eggshells", God forbid.

I'm sorry, PDove, I flew off the handle. Thanks for takin' the time to straighten me out. I respect & appreciate that.
I prefer straight talk from the hip, 'cause I have some thick skin, too. Sorry it got all bunched up around my head. I hate it when I'm thick above the shoulders.:thumbsup:

to quote Paul Simon,"Why am I so soft in the middle, and the rest of my life is so hard?" lol

Upvote 0

BelindaP

Senior Contributor
Sep 21, 2006
Indianapolis
✟20,888.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Most of the Protestants that you are referring to have no problem with statues or icons being in the church. They also know full well that Catholics are not worshipping the icons. What they object to is the whole practice of venerating the saints.

I'm not going to argue about whether venerating the saints is wrong or not. I understand the viewpoints on both sides. Protestants do not venerate the saints, or the cross, or the manger scene.

I don't think that the average Protestant has any issues with praying in front of a statue of Jesus. It is just the veneration of the saints with which they disagree.

Upvote 0

L3g3nd

Aug 11, 2006
Deep in the heart of Texas
✟871.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Protestants do not venerate the saints, or the cross, or the manger scene.

It seems to me that quite a few Protestants venerate the cross.

On a hill far away stood an old rugged cross,
The emblem of suffering and shame;
And I love that old cross where the dearest and best
For a world of lost sinners was slain.

So I’ll cherish the old rugged cross,
Till my trophies at last I lay down;
I will cling to the old rugged cross,
And exchange it some day for a crown.

O that old rugged cross, so despised by the world,
Has a wondrous attraction for me... etc...

Upvote 0

BelindaP

Senior Contributor
Sep 21, 2006
Indianapolis
✟20,888.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Ah, yes. It is one of my favorite hymns.

If you'll note in the second line of the first stanza, it is the emblem of Jesus suffering. Protestants greatly cherish that emblem, just as Catholics cherish their crucifixes.

Nowhere in the song does it elevate the cross to anything Godlike or worthy of worship. In fact, it says that the cross will be exchanged for a crown in heaven.

When we kneel before crosses, we are kneeling before Christ. When we kneel before the altar, we are kneeling before God the Father.

Upvote 0

L3g3nd

Aug 11, 2006
Deep in the heart of Texas
✟871.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Nowhere in the song does it elevate the cross to anything Godlike or worthy of worship. In fact, it says that the cross will be exchanged for a crown in heaven.

I agree; veneration does not elevate its object to a divine status. Instead, it merely reverences what God has chosen to shed His grace upon. The saints, in many ways like the cross, are emblems of God's grace.

Upvote 0
P

Peaceful Dove

Ah, yes. It is one of my favorite hymns.

If you'll note in the second line of the first stanza, it is the emblem of Jesus suffering. Protestants greatly cherish that emblem, just as Catholics cherish their crucifixes.

When we kneel before crosses, we are kneeling before Christ. When we kneel before the altar, we are kneeling before God the Father.

You have it exactly. Having been a Protestant, when I hear this song, I cry like a baby. It was played at my Grandma's funeral and I learned to sing it as a small child. It centers my mind on what Jesus did for me.
The cross is a symbol.

The statues in the Nativity are like a symbol, they are a reminder of the Birth of our Lord. Each person and animal brings the scene together showing the part they might have played in this great event, God becoming man to walk among us and bring redemption to a sinful world.

When a Catholic sees a Statue of Mary, or one of the Saints, it is a reminder of folks saying, "yes" to God.
These are heros in the Church, examples to Christians.
The Jews and even Jesus and the early Christians showed this sort of respect and a certain degree of reverence to great people of God like Moses and Elijah. We honor Apostles like Peter and Paul. Not because they were great by themselves, in fact, more because they were not great. Moses admitted to a speech problem and he argued with the Lord. Peter was a true stumble bum, even denying he even knew Jesus. Paul persecuted the Church and confessed to a thorn in his flesh and his sinfulness.
The Saints of the Church were folks but each one of them said "yes" to God and "walked the walk". They are examples for us, heros if you choose or you might say they are a symbol of a Godly life.
Mary is a bit more so if you look at her in a slightly different way. Let me explain.
Jesus is called a second Adam in Scripture, right? Think about what this means.

The first Adam brought sin and death into the world, the second Adam, our Lord Jesus conquered sin and death and brought new life into the world.
Eve, said, "no" to God and contributed to the fall. In fact it was an (fallen) "angel" who tempted her to utter disobedience.
An Angel from Heaven spoke to Mary. She said, "yes" to God (being fully aware what the community and her betrothed, Joseph would think of her) and was fully obedient to God. Both Eve's response and Mary's contributed to the Greatest events in Salvation history.

Catholics believe both of these women were free of original sin. They both had the same level playing field.
Neither had and advantage over the other. Their responses were absolutely opposit.

It is with this knowledge that we look at Mary. We see her as not only a hero of the Church, and example but we also see her like a second Eve.

Not everyone will see her this way and many cannot even understand why we do.

Not a single Saint, including Jesus's mom is elevated to the level of God. Not a single one can do anything but continue to adore and praise and serve our Lord. If serving him, includes praying for us, that is not even close to being devine.

I believe folks do better if they have these symbols and hero's. They have certainly helped me with my walk. That is the point, in my opinion.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.