Why are Christians supposed to be gentle and polite?

RDKirk

Alien, Pilgrim, and Sojourner
Site Supporter
Mar 3, 2013
US
✟1,476,263.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Self vs. others is ultimately meaningless dualism. What matters more is our orientation towards truth, or lack thereof.

"But what is true? Is it unchanging law? We both have truths...are mine the same as yours?" Pontius Pilate, "Jesus Christ: Superstar."

Upvote 0

FireDragon76

Site Supporter
Apr 30, 2013
Orlando, Florida
✟1,262,020.00
Country
United States
Faith
United Ch. of Christ
Politics
US-Democrat
"But what is true? Is it unchanging law? We both have truths...are mine the same as yours?" Pontius Pilate, "Jesus Christ: Superstar."

Death has a way of helping us focus on what is true. Nobody has ever gone to the grave wishing they had more wealth or power.

Upvote 0

FireDragon76

Site Supporter
Apr 30, 2013
Orlando, Florida
✟1,262,020.00
Country
United States
Faith
United Ch. of Christ
Politics
US-Democrat
Why, though, do you care, unless it's true? If it's not true, it doesn't matter, does it?

Bad ideas can hurt people all the same.

Maybe I'm not sure what your point is here.

Upvote 0

FireDragon76

Site Supporter
Apr 30, 2013
Orlando, Florida
✟1,262,020.00
Country
United States
Faith
United Ch. of Christ
Politics
US-Democrat
Why do Christians supposed to be gentle and polite? - Foremost, because Christians must reflect Bible's principles - God's word. And God himself is gentle and polite.

Many Christians here seem to assert otherwise, implicitly and otherwise.

Upvote 0

timothyu

Dec 31, 2018
up there
✟307,381.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
But the Church is to exist as an embassy of the Kingdom of Heaven within these nations of the world, and the natives of the world should see the culture of the Kingdom of Heaven reflected in the practices of its ambassadors to those nations.
Sadly religion entered the picture and the focus turned to the religion itself. No wonder Jesus said to keep the groups at about 70 folks.

Reactions: HappyHope
Upvote 0

HappyHope

Jul 22, 2019
New Mexico
✟54,344.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Sadly religion entered the picture and the focus turned to the religion itself. No wonder Jesus said to keep the groups at about 70 folks.

May I ask where you got the number recommended for groups? I like it. My favorite churches have been smaller churches...more love less politics.

Upvote 0

RestoreTheJoy

Site Supporter
Jul 13, 2018
Passing Through
✟457,824.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
I had a dispute with my neighbours and I refused to back down. They accused me of not being very Christian. I said that I'm not a carpet and I was not going to be walked over. We should not be rude. We should be gentle. But that does not mean weak, indecisive or easily manipulated. Lord Jesus whipped the money changers. Nothing meek and mild about that.
Jesus drove them out with the whip. Doesn't mean he whipped them. Not to mention He was removing this abomination from the House of God. Not defending His own personal interests.

• Agree
Reactions: RDKirk
Upvote 0

RDKirk

Site Supporter
Mar 3, 2013
US
✟1,476,263.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Jesus drove them out with the whip. Doesn't mean he whipped them. Not to mention He was removing this abomination from the House of God. Not defending His own personal interests.

He probably used the whip to drive out the livestock.

• Agree
Reactions: RestoreTheJoy
Upvote 0

Childofgodharrison

Aug 27, 2018
Abilene
✟34,063.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Why are Christians suppose to be "gentle" and polite, and not feared? My opinion has been that Christianity looks very weak. They are told they should forgive and walk away, not want to fight back. It's leading to the chaos and fall of their own civilization too, unlike Islamic civilization which is still intact and cohesive in the modern age to this day. And they are ones that people fear. Not promoting Islam, but I'm only acknowledging what it is.

But even if you are Christian, do you also honestly wonder if Christianity is weak or at least has been weakened?
If Jesus is the head and we are the body, then we are to do what the head is doing. If he would be gentle or police in whatever situation then that is what we do.

• Agree
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

RDKirk

Site Supporter
Mar 3, 2013
US
✟1,476,263.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
If Jesus is the head and we are the body, then we are to do what the head is doing. If he would be gentle or police in whatever situation then that is what we do.

I would point out (as RestoreTheJoy already has) that Jesus "policed" only His own house.

This is reflected in Paul's direction to the Corinthians:

What business is it of mine to judge those outside the church? Are you not to judge those inside? -- 1 Corinthians 5

• Agree
Upvote 0

RDKirk

Site Supporter
Mar 3, 2013
US
✟1,476,263.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I'm sorry I meant to say polite, not police. Some people do see Christians as being weak. There are times to just let some things go and then there are times when you need to speak the truth.

A lot of people do not understand the difference between "meek" and "weak."

That's their problem.

Upvote 0

Petros2015

Jun 23, 2016
undisclosed Bunker
✟289,962.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Why are Christians suppose to be "gentle" and polite, and not feared? My opinion has been that Christianity looks very weak. They are told they should forgive and walk away, not want to fight back. It's leading to the chaos and fall of their own civilization too, unlike Islamic civilization which is still intact and cohesive in the modern age to this day. And they are ones that people fear. Not promoting Islam, but I'm only acknowledging what it is.

But even if you are Christian, do you also honestly wonder if Christianity is weak or at least has been weakened?

Christians are supposed to follow Christ...
I suppose they should be as gentle and polite and seek to be of the same character as He was
He was known for martyrdom as were his followers
(if you believe in the resurrection of the dead, dying is not a particular concern)
Christianity did not grow by slaughtering the pagans
It grew by enduring persecution
When it begins persecuting
It stops growing
Whether it's borders expand or not

• Agree
Reactions: RDKirk
Upvote 0

Childofgodharrison

Aug 27, 2018
Abilene
✟34,063.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
A lot of people do not understand the difference between "meek" and "weak."

That's their problem.
In my case I know exactly what is going on, I don't care if they see me as weak. And when those who think they are taking advantage of me go too far, then I tell them bluntly , not ugly but tell them straight forward.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Aussie Pete

Site Supporter
Aug 14, 2019
Frankston
Visit site
✟727,630.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Divorced
Jesus described some people as whitewashed tombs whose father was the devil. They were Israel's elites. Read the whole of the New Testament instead on the Sunday school sanitised version. The apostle Paul stood up for his rights as a Roman citizen. The world is our enemy and will take opportunity to oppress us if we let them. Many years ago, I was accused of being a child molester by a school principle, purely on the basis that I am male. I made a formal complaint. She was dragged over the coals by the education department and formally apologised. Does it matter? Yes. I have a government "Working with Children" Authorisation. Her slander could have blocked that, so hindering my Christian work.

Upvote 0

Childofgodharrison

Aug 27, 2018
Abilene
✟34,063.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Jesus described some people as whitewashed tombs whose father was the devil. They were Israel's elites. Read the whole of the New Testament instead on the Sunday school sanitised version. The apostle Paul stood up for his rights as a Roman citizen. The world is our enemy and will take opportunity to oppress us if we let them. Many years ago, I was accused of being a child molester by a school principle, purely on the basis that I am male. I made a formal complaint. She was dragged over the coals by the education department and formally apologised. Does it matter? Yes. I have a government "Working with Children" Authorisation. Her slander could have blocked that, so hindering my Christian work.
Well of course if you were innocent you should stand up for that. All things work together for good for those who love Christ.

Upvote 0

bèlla

❤️
Site Supporter
Jan 16, 2019
USA
✟953,011.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
In Relationship
Why are Christians suppose to be "gentle" and polite, and not feared?

Gentleness and courtesy are fruits of the spirit. They add a pleasing aroma to our person.

Some conflate strength with aggression. But mettle is forged within.

Yours in His Service,

~Bella

Upvote 0

Cis.jd

Dec 3, 2015
New York, NY
✟140,465.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single

Because we are told to turn the other cheek, not "eye for an eye". Christianity was originally about conversation, not conquest despite what happened in history.

Reactions: timothyu
Upvote 0

FireDragon76

Site Supporter
Apr 30, 2013
Orlando, Florida
✟1,262,020.00
Country
United States
Faith
United Ch. of Christ
Politics
US-Democrat

This is simply untrue. Islamic societies have even more problems than the West. There are thousands of different Islamic sects and schools, and many of them have emnity with each other even more than Protestants do. In fact, the single biggest victims of Islamic terrorism in the world are other Muslims. They are literally killing each other.

• Agree
Reactions: durangodawood
Upvote 0