Kentucky-U.S.
✟15,556.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
Article says that Americans would rather have a pot-smoking, admitted philanderer as President than an atheist president. Why are atheists so disliked in America? I have spent quite a bit of time in Europe, and atheists are viewed as ordinary, responsible, trustworthy citizens. In general, why do you think people (or you) dislike or distrust atheists? I am not a bad guy, I promise.:blush:

Americans Exaggerate How Much They Go To Religious Services, According To Study

Paradoxum

Liberty, Equality, Solidarity!
Sep 16, 2011
✟28,188.00
Faith
Humanist
Marital Status
Private
Politics
UK-Liberal-Democrats
Cos atheists eat babies... silly. :p

I'm from the UK so it's a little different here. When I was a Christian I knew atheists were just normal people, because alot of people seem to be non-religious.

I'd guess the problem is not knowing enough atheists as just normal people.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

GoldenBoy89

We're Still Here
Sep 25, 2012
LA
✟556,111.00
Country
United States
Faith
Humanist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
If you look at the number of rapists, murderers, pedophiles, thieves, cheaters and just generally bad people all over the world and keep in mind that most of those people believe in a god, it's safe to say that theists are the ones who haven't shown themselves to be trustworthy.

Upvote 0

Skaloop

Agnostic atheist, pro-choice anti-abortion
May 10, 2006
Burnaby
Visit site
✟29,046.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-NDP
I would never trust anyone who didn't admit that there is a God. Personally I rank atheists right next to pagans and satanists.

OK, but why? What is it about an atheist not admitting that there is a god that makes one untrustworthy?

(And for future note, an atheist is more accurately defined as someone who doesn't believe in a god, not that doesn't admit that there is one. There is a subtle difference.)

Last edited:
Upvote 0

ladyjazz

Apr 16, 2014
Michigan USA
✟8,033.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Engaged
Article says that Americans would rather have a pot-smoking, admitted philanderer as President than an atheist president. Why are atheists so disliked in America? I have spent quite a bit of time in Europe, and atheists are viewed as ordinary, responsible, trustworthy citizens. In general, why do you think people (or you) dislike or distrust atheists? I am not a bad guy, I promise.:blush:

Americans Exaggerate How Much They Go To Religious Services, According To Study

Imo, atheist that i have met are very arrogant and tend to think Christians are looney, weak and of no intelligence. They rely on their intellect and science. Many are intelligent. George Carlin was a brilliant thinker who hated God and any bozo that believed in Him. He was my favorite comic and I wish i could watch him cuz his comedy is excellent. Im not a believer in the world is 6000 yrs old. But im certain there is a God, as i have been touched by Him so deeply and personally.

I don't hate atheists, but when they mock my healer, friend and savior, i do not like that! I guess the best site to show the hate some atheist have is landover baptist church. Its a fake satire site that sells sexy underwear w Jesus on them. Whether you believe in Christ or not, its evident he was a teacher of love andkindness, and it blows me away, why ppl hate Him so.

Just google landover baptist, and you will see the hate they have for us, and our God.

Reactions: GoldenBoy89
Upvote 0

JGG

Mar 12, 2006
✟58,445.00
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Private
Imo, atheist that i have met are very arrogant and tend to think Christians are looney, weak and of no intelligence. They rely on their intellect and science. Many are intelligent. George Carlin was a brilliant thinker who hated God and any bozo that believed in Him. He was my favorite comic and I wish i could watch him cuz his comedy is excellent. Im not a believer in the world is 6000 yrs old. But im certain there is a God, as i have been touched by Him so deeply and personally.

I don't hate atheists, but when they mock my healer, friend and savior, i do not like that! I guess the best site to show the hate some atheist have is landover baptist church. Its a fake satire site that sells sexy underwear w Jesus on them. Whether you believe in Christ or not, its evident he was a teacher of love andkindness, and it blows me away, why ppl hate Him so.

Just google landover baptist, and you will see the hate they have for us, and our God.

Actually, I believe they're mocking Westboro Baptist, who one might say is mocking your God. Or not.

Upvote 0
D

DiligentlySeekingGod

I usually don't trust politicians in general, even if they do make a profession of Christian faith. Case in point, our current president comes to mind. And for the record, I don't hate atheists or anyone else who isn't a Christian. I can't say that I hate anyone, for that matter. Would I vote for an atheist? I can't say either way, because I have never encountered an atheist running for a public office that I could actually vote for. I guess it would depend upon his/her personal views on abortion and homosexuality, which are issues that are very important to me personally. I don't know whether I would vote for an atheist or not, to be honest. I would have to pray about it long and hard first and then consult my husband and our Pastor, before I would vote for one running for a public office.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

tacdon

May 14, 2014
✟15,821.00
Faith
Non-Denom
What about Romans 13:1-7? What are your thoughts on that passage, if I may ask?

What if you were born under the authority of Hitler or another leader that did or does terrible things.

The USA was created by going against the authority of England.

I thing the context of the verses is talking about being a criminal and the government punishing people for being criminals. Its talking about obeying the government with respect to the laws given by God.

During the time on the anti-christ he will be in authority as a government head. That doesn't mean people should obey him and take the mark, in fact the opposite is true the ones that defy him and don't take the mark will be rewarded by God in heaven by being in heaven and the millenimum rein of christ.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

JGG

Mar 12, 2006
✟58,445.00
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Private
You only wrote down half my thought. Later

The point is that Christians cannot utter the phrase "I do not hate atheists" without qualifying it with "but" and all the reasons they hate atheists.

The other two lines are to list all the reasons they hate atheists and then say "but it's okay, some of my good friends are atheists." Or "I don't hate atheists because God tells me not to."

Just watch, you'll see.

Last edited by a moderator:
Upvote 0

Skaloop

Agnostic atheist, pro-choice anti-abortion
May 10, 2006
Burnaby
Visit site
✟29,046.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-NDP

I don't hate Christians. Nor do I hate God or Jesus. So, there ya go. And no "but..." needed to qualify it, either.

Upvote 0
Oct 19, 2013
United States of America
✟15,400.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
The appropriate question would be," Why are Christians disliked?"

Considering Freedom From Religion Foundation has pushed to take the 10 Commandments from the Court-House, pushing to remove In God We Trust off the money, pushing to...well basically take away our faith. 100% of FFRF members are Atheists.

Now personally I don't like nor dislike Atheists. I have several friends who I socialize with that are Atheists. We have a mutual understanding of what we each believe and we do not fight over it. But those such as members of the FFRF who are trying to push for persecution...well I can see why people would dislike them. Imagine if there was a FFFF Freedom From Fools Foundation(Psalms 14:1) pushing an agenda to eradicate all philosophies and science from schools. It'll [bless and do not curse][bless and do not curse][bless and do not curse][bless and do not curse] you off wouldn't it?

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.