Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
I think there is also a belief that without a system of later reward and punishment for behavior here, you can't necessarily trust atheists to be moral.

Atheists lack the huge body of spiritual knowledge that believers have, thus making them unqualified to 'provide for the general welfare' as elected officials.

Upvote 0

Skaloop

Agnostic atheist, pro-choice anti-abortion
May 10, 2006
Burnaby
Visit site
✟29,046.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-NDP
The appropriate question would be," Why are Christians disliked?"

Considering Freedom From Religion Foundation has pushed to take the 10 Commandments from the Court-House, pushing to remove In God We Trust off the money, pushing to...well basically take away our faith. 100% of FFRF members are Atheists.

Now personally I don't like nor dislike Atheists. I have several friends who I socialize with that are Atheists. We have a mutual understanding of what we each believe and we do not fight over it. But those such as members of the FFRF who are trying to push for persecution...well I can see why people would dislike them. Imagine if there was a FFFF Freedom From Fools Foundation(Psalms 14:1) pushing an agenda to eradicate all philosophies and science from schools. It'll [bless and do not curse][bless and do not curse][bless and do not curse][bless and do not curse] you off wouldn't it?

That's certainly a reason to dislike the FFRF. But that doesn't explain why Christians have such disdain for atheists in general, even the ones like me who don't try to push for removing the ten commandments or removing a phrase from money or take anyone's faith away.

Upvote 0
Oct 19, 2013
United States of America
✟15,400.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
DiligentlySeekingGod said:
What about Romans 13:1-7? What are your thoughts on that passage, if I may ask?

That scripture is one I am currently struggling with. Perhaps I am misunderstanding it. To me it says submit to government authority but how can I submit to a evil corrupt and defiling government who wants to destroy God. Seems it also says God puts the government there. So God puts a corrupt and immoral government in place and expects us to submit to it? It does not sound like a God I want to follow. But according to rest of scripture it does not seem like his character. So I must be misunderstanding.

Upvote 0

JGG

Mar 12, 2006
✟58,445.00
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Private
Now personally I don't like nor dislike Atheists. I have several friends who I socialize with that are Atheists. We have a mutual understanding of what we each believe and we do not fight over it. But ...

And now, for my next trick...

Reactions: GoldenBoy89
Upvote 0
Oct 19, 2013
United States of America
✟15,400.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
Skaloop said:
That's certainly a reason to dislike the FFRF. But that doesn't explain why Christians have such disdain for atheists in general, even the ones like me who don't try to push for removing the ten commandments or removing a phrase from money or take anyone's faith away.

It'll be said the same of Atheists disliking Christians in general even the ones like me who do not shove my religion down people throats or judge anyone or condemn anyone or trying to change their thinking.

I guess it boils down to a few things. Insecurity, ignorance and personality. Some people who are insecure feels the needs to lash at people and make sure they points are made clear. Then there are those who are arrogant who are puffed up thinking they are better than others and have to bring others down, probably due to their insecurity and feeling threatened. Then some people's personality comes into play some are laid back and calm and some are upfront and aggressive. This can be said by both parties the Atheists and Christians.

Just because one is Atheist or Christian does not give cause for each to hate each other. Atheists have to accept that we all are entitled to our own beliefs and Christians are to be reminded that God asks us to be peace makers and to love others and pray for them.

Upvote 0

poolerboy0077

Jun 9, 2013
✟1,625.00
Faith
Atheist

Considering Freedom From Religion Foundation has pushed to take the 10 Commandments from the Court-House, pushing to remove In God We Trust off the money, pushing to...well basically take away our faith.
Take away your faith? Are you being forced to abandon your faith? Are you told you can no longer pray or congregate? No. All that is established is that religious tribalism has no place in state judicial buildings nor formal proceedings. The absence of these commandments simply creates a neutral space and remove an inappropriate promotion of a religion. Also recognize that many theists, including many Christians who do not share you specific view, also see the inappropriateness of placing religious content in those contexts too. These infusions of religion in our coinage and anthems were actually added as recently as the 1940s by religious groups who used fear of communism to garner support.

Like egocentric infants who've grabbed all the toys, then throw a tantrum when some are taken away to be distributed fairly, some people behave as though it's unbearable if their religion isn't given prominence or even dominance regardless of setting. Taking away religious privilege for one group isn't "taking away [your] faith." Perhaps you've been catered to for so long that taking away said privilege is perceived by you as an assault. Such characterization is a shameless misrepresentation of what is really going on.

Upvote 0

GoldenBoy89

We're Still Here
Sep 25, 2012
LA
✟558,760.00
Country
United States
Faith
Humanist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
I think there is also a belief that without a system of later reward and punishment for behavior here, you can't necessarily trust atheists to be moral.

You must have missed my comment where I point out that most of the world throughout most of history has been dominated mostly by theists.

Now try and write off all the crimes committed by theists despite their belief in eternal punishment.

Plus, as a theist, you have the luxury of making a quick deathbed conversion or better yet, 'finding Christ' and being absolved of all your sins.

Upvote 0

OldWiseGuy

Wake me when it's soup.
Site Supporter
Feb 4, 2006
Wisconsin
Visit site
✟982,622.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
That scripture is one I am currently struggling with. Perhaps I am misunderstanding it. To me it says submit to government authority but how can I submit to a evil corrupt and defiling government who wants to destroy God. Seems it also says God puts the government there. So God puts a corrupt and immoral government in place and expects us to submit to it? It does not sound like a God I want to follow. But according to rest of scripture it does not seem like his character. So I must be misunderstanding.

The context surrounding this verse in Acts 5 might be helpful.

29 "Then Peter and the other apostles answered and said, We ought to obey God rather than men."

Upvote 0

rcorlew

Serving His Flock
Aug 21, 2008
Missouri, the show me state!
✟16,657.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Here's a hint......

=========> STALIN <==========

=========> HITLER <==========

One other thing, this country was founded primarily by religious zealots who were rebellious and wanted to live the way they saw fit. This in turn attracted more people who shared that same individualistic ideal. Add to that people who fled the previously mentioned regimes and shared the horror stories of those enlightened, peace loving atheists and how they treated Jews and Christians alike. Put all that into an Easy Bake oven for 10 minutes and you have a gene pool that is extremely individualistic, skeptical by nature, and loosely religious at least to the point that they have a Bible, attend church every Christmas and Easter and think that Jesus really did raise from the dead.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

poolerboy0077

Jun 9, 2013
✟1,625.00
Faith
Atheist
Here's a hint......

You mean this Hitler?

Hitler-Kirche.jpg

tumblr_ltqxfms9fY1qktv7n.jpg

hitler_at_catholic_church.jpg

"God With Us"
nazi_buckle.jpeg

Oh yes that Hitler.

Upvote 0

GoldenBoy89

We're Still Here
Sep 25, 2012
LA
✟558,760.00
Country
United States
Faith
Humanist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
Here's a hint......

So out of all the people that have ever lived. What?.... 50 billion people?... Most of them being believers in some kind of god(s).... You can only name 2 people?

I mean... I know they're two big ones but seriously, is that really the extent of evil produced by atheism? Can we really say they were driven by atheistic beliefs and nothing else?

That is one of the biggest misconceptions of atheism. That there are 'beliefs' attached to atheism. That there is some type of philosophy that goes along with it. Like there is a rule book that all atheists adhere to.

This is not true. Our thoughts on ethics, morality, justice, suffering... etc. are as varied as anyone else. Just look at all the things Christians disagree on. And they DO have a rule book to tell them all how to live.

Another thing to note, Christians and atheists here in the US probably have a lot more in common with each other due to a shared 'American' culture than they would with members of their same belief from other countries.

So either, we are more righteous than you guys give us credit for. Or you're not as good as you think yourself to be. :p

Upvote 0

Skaloop

Agnostic atheist, pro-choice anti-abortion
May 10, 2006
Burnaby
Visit site
✟29,046.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-NDP
Here's a hint......

So do you show equal disdain for Germans and Russians, males, people with mustaches, people under six feet tall, people with six-letter surnames, white people, political leaders, and people with ears that you do for atheists? Because they all share similarities with Stalin and Hitler, too. An untrustworthy bunch, those males under six feet tall...

Upvote 0

Arcangl86

Dec 29, 2013
✟349,703.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Green
You must have missed my comment where I point out that most of the world throughout most of history has been dominated mostly by theists.

Now try and write off all the crimes committed by theists despite their belief in eternal punishment.

Plus, as a theist, you have the luxury of making a quick deathbed conversion or better yet, 'finding Christ' and being absolved of all your sins.
Did I at one point say I held that view? I thought it was clear I didn't by saying I thought there was a certain view.

Upvote 0

GoldenBoy89

We're Still Here
Sep 25, 2012
LA
✟558,760.00
Country
United States
Faith
Humanist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
Did I at one point say I held that view? I thought it was clear I didn't by saying I thought there was a certain view.

Yikes! I'm sorry. I must have read more into it than I should have.

Looking back at your comment, you're right. You did make that clear. My apologies. :sorry:

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

rcorlew

Serving His Flock
Aug 21, 2008
Missouri, the show me state!
✟16,657.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
You mean this Hitler?

Hitler-Kirche.jpg

tumblr_ltqxfms9fY1qktv7n.jpg

hitler_at_catholic_church.jpg

"God With Us"
nazi_buckle.jpeg

Oh yes that Hitler.

Yeah, the same Hitler who promoted this too...

"We are Hitler’s joyous youth,
What need we Christian virtue!,
Our Fuehrer Adolf Hitler
Is always our redeemer!
No wicked priest can hinder us,
To sense that we are Hitler’s children;
We follow not Christ but Horst Wessel,
Away with incense and holy water!

Margot&#39;s Memoir--Surviving Hitler and Stalin - Margot Richens - Google Books

Hope the link works.

Upvote 0

GondwanaLand

Dec 8, 2013
✟44,972.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
Article says that Americans would rather have a pot-smoking, admitted philanderer as President than an atheist president. Why are atheists so disliked in America? I have spent quite a bit of time in Europe, and atheists are viewed as ordinary, responsible, trustworthy citizens. In general, why do you think people (or you) dislike or distrust atheists? I am not a bad guy, I promise.:blush:

Americans Exaggerate How Much They Go To Religious Services, According To Study
There was another poll a while back like this, I think atheists ranked at the very bottom of possible people for president, with about the same percentage as rapists.

Really don't get it, it's very bizarre.

Upvote 0

Archaeopteryx

Wanderer
Jul 1, 2007
✟70,740.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private

Considering Freedom From Religion Foundation has pushed to take the 10 Commandments from the Court-House, pushing to remove In God We Trust off the money, pushing to...well basically take away our faith. 100% of FFRF members are Atheists.

Now personally I don't like nor dislike Atheists. I have several friends who I socialize with that are Atheists. We have a mutual understanding of what we each believe and we do not fight over it. But those such as members of the FFRF who are trying to push for persecution...well I can see why people would dislike them. Imagine if there was a FFFF Freedom From Fools Foundation(Psalms 14:1) pushing an agenda to eradicate all philosophies and science from schools. It'll [bless and do not curse][bless and do not curse][bless and do not curse][bless and do not curse] you off wouldn't it?

The erosion of privilege is often confused for persecution.

Upvote 0

Archaeopteryx

Wanderer
Jul 1, 2007
✟70,740.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
Atheists lack the huge body of spiritual knowledge that believers have, thus making them unqualified to 'provide for the general welfare' as elected officials.

Christians have yet to demonstrate that they have said spiritual knowledge, thus making them no more or less qualified than atheists.

Upvote 0

Dave Ellis

Contributor
Dec 27, 2011
Toronto, Ontario
✟52,315.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
CA-Conservatives
I would never trust anyone who didn't admit that there is a God. Personally I rank atheists right next to pagans and satanists.

So you would rather put your trust in someone who would lie to you about their honest beliefs, just so you like them more?

You may need to rethink your methodology there.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.